Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2007 13:24:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I spent some hours reconfiguring the layout to avoid the dreaded common ground as mentioned in the manual:

8.7. Wiring external boosters
Should the power output of the integral booster be insufficient you may connect more external boosters. For this purpose you have to divide your layout into several individual electrical sectors. Always insulate all conductors (tracks). There may not be any Common!

The track power is handled by the eCOS and the power for the signals and turnouts is handled by the external 6017 booster.. Please see http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/page/page_166.zip for the wiring.. At the moment the power to the 5233s and the ground to the 5217/6088 is from the eCOS..

However, there are a few problems..

1. The external booster does not show a reading in the new current reporting part of the eCOS. (I can see consumption for the eCOS, but not the external booster which reports "no current".)

2. I use Viessmann 5211 decoders which come with an external feed from another transformer. Normally this transformer uses the common (track) ground. However, the only way that I could get the decoders to work was to connect the transformer to the booster's ground. (Please see the diagram below - light blue boxes are transformers or trafos).

3. The turnout lanterns no longer light except momentarily when the turnouts are switched.

UserPostedImage

Any suggestions?

My greater concern is when WDP X.3 arrives and I hook up the HSI-88 with its bank of 5217, 5233 and 6088s. The HSI-88 unit is also powered from another transformer.. An example of the HSI-88 wiring is on the LDT website at http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/page/page_166.zip

Edited by moderator 10 January 2011 20:55:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2007 13:49:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Any suggestions?

Buy a CS from Daves Emporium in NZ.

sorry Adrian couldnt resist.biggrin

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2007 14:31:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
No need to apologise David.. I enjoy a distraction - I even cause some myself.. biggrin

Funny enough - I thought that Nev would beat you to it... But he knows that I bought my eCOS for two reasons:
1. No one had an updated CS for sale; and
2. I did not want to go through the pain that Nev experienced to get his update (still going since August!)..

I am sure that the answer to my question will also apply to CS users with boosters, HSI-88s and WDP...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline MartinB  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2007 14:42:29(UTC)
MartinB

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
8.7. Wiring external boosters
Should the power output of the integral booster be insufficient you may connect more external boosters. For this purpose you have to divide your layout into several individual electrical sectors. Always insulate all conductors (tracks). There may not be any Common!

Any suggestions?

uuhmmm..... I thought of a couple of things related to this without knowing much about the ECOS:

1: Are you sure that the translation is correct? Good and correct translations of user guides from German to English are not as many as I'd wish. Maybe they just mean the center rail? Insulating M-tracks seems like a challenge to me.

2: Märklin also stated that the old digital booster had to be completely insulated. I never insulated anything else than the center rail and it worked like a charm. If there is no danger to the hardware trying this I would try myself.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.
Best regards MartinB

Märklin Systems
K-track and C-track
Deutsche Bundesbahn Ep.3
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2007 14:55:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I agree Martin, but in those cases the power supply and the rest of the system was the same.. The IB and the DIGITAL-S-INSIDE worked fine set up with only the red side insulated and using common ground.

I am not even sure (or even understand) of the difference in output from the eCOS and the 6017 booster.. It is more than simply insulating M-track - consider the way that contact tracks and s88s work... In any case, if you are using a booster in the track area it would be impossible for the ground and feed not to be momentarily contacted as wheels (and sliders) cross from one section into the other.

Has anyone with a strong understanding of German seen anything in the ESU Support forum that can shed light on this?

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline MartinB  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2007 15:28:51(UTC)
MartinB

OK Adrian, I understand the problem and have no solution to it [V]

I have a good understanding of German if there is a german userguide online somewhere.

Best regards MartinB

Märklin Systems
K-track and C-track
Deutsche Bundesbahn Ep.3
Offline Maxi  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2007 17:49:56(UTC)
Maxi

Looking at the specs for some of the components on the HSI-88 Rev 2.0 unit I have, I have discovered the following.

The serial port is optically isolated, which is good news.

The brown connection is common to the whole circuit including the ground connection to the S88 bus.

I am not sure if there would be a problem with the brown connection. Definetly would have to either experiement (if one is brave enough), or ask Littfinski Daten Technik how their product integrates with a ECOS or CS unit (this would also include connecting S88 modules across more than one block section, eg more than one booster controlled section of the layout).

In the Marklin CS Updated manual there is a specific mention that the ground connection on a S88 module has to be connected the the track brown connection for it to work (this is with reference to the S88 port on the CS unit).

Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Edit:

Just found a diagram on the LTD website which shows that the brown of the HSI-88 can be connected to the brown of the CS. the link is http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/page/page_439.zip

Looking at other documents on the site I have noticed that the examples for the S88 modules are the opto veriety. This would seem like a safer route. The real question is how much work is it to convert a standard S88 module into a optically isolated one by adding a sub module between the layout and a S88 module. Again that solution in my view would require that all S88 contacts per optical isolated modules be limited to a specific power district. By this I mean with in each booster section, so you can not connect track contacts or reed sensors from multiple booster sections of the layout to a single optical isolated module. This will surely leave unused inputs on S88 modules but definetly would be the safest approach to using optically isolated S88 inputs.

Offline rschaffr  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2007 18:00:03(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I can't believe this is the case (i.e. the necessity of isolating the brown track connections). If it were true, I could never use an EcOS, since I would have to totally destroy my layout to accomplish this (most booster interfaces are hidden under my layout and under hours and hours of scenery work). The only caution I can find int the CS manual is that you cannot connect the wires from the TRANSFORMER feeding the CS to anything else. It does not mention isolating the brown track wire (as far as I can see). If this is not the case, I will totally forget ever buying an ECoS or a CS since I cannot use it. Does anyone here have real experience or knowledge on this subject?
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2007 18:37:56(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I am with Ron on this. I suspect this is a case of, or combination of the following:
-poor translation
-Poor technical writing of the original
-Corporate bull to sell some sort of isolator or more transformers or similar
-Plain ignorance of the technical issues at the manufacturer
-Over zealous legal fear of being sued for by a customers who may connect something to something else.

as I say, this is a suspicion- I do not have any experience with this hardware but it seems to me that all of the above elements are becoming all too common.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Maxi  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2007 18:49:01(UTC)
Maxi

The fancier the products get, the more unique the application seems to limit its self. Another observation is the amount of time it takes for the CS or ECOS to prepare its self before you can operate your layout. The Central station and Intellibox with its simpler designed microcontroller are ready for use with in seconds of powering up. Even my railroad computer powers up faster that the CS or ECOS.

I am under the impression that the CS or ECOS loads its operating system from flash every time the unit is powered on, why can't the unit have a suspend mode so that when the unit is powered back up, is just has to resume from where it left off but with the layout in a powered down state or a halted sequence.

Do we really need the bidirectional mfx technology, or just the ability to have more features per decoder and just have a computer program remember what features a decoder has and use them when required or desired.

Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 31 December 2007 23:33:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Any suggestions?

David

ADrian, He only beat me to it as I turned off early last nite and have only just seen the post.
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 01 January 2008 00:02:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Any suggestions?

David

Sorry guys, all the CS' have been sold, but I can sell you a cardboard cutout CS for half price!! biggrinbiggrin

Seriously though, and more on topic, I do have a CS running with M Track and Viessmann 5211 decoders, all utilising a common ground with no issues at all. The 5211's are powered from a separate transformer.

I don't however have a 6017 booster, so can't comment in relation to that.
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 01 January 2008 01:34:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />Looking at the specs for some of the components on the HSI-88 Rev 2.0 unit I have, I have discovered the following.....

Thanks Matthew...The struggle is that the HSI-88 is powered by an AC transformer (Actually - it is a blue Marklin one), but the eCOS is powered by 19V DC transformer, which I assume is passed through to the track power to make DC.. Can you really have a common ground in this case?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 01 January 2008 01:44:41(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I can't believe this is the case (i.e. the necessity of isolating the brown track connections). If it were true, I could never use an EcOS, since I would have to totally destroy my layout to accomplish this (most booster interfaces are hidden under my layout and under hours and hours of scenery work). The only caution I can find int the CS manual is that you cannot connect the wires from the TRANSFORMER feeding the CS to anything else. It does not mention isolating the brown track wire (as far as I can see). If this is not the case, I will totally forget ever buying an ECoS or a CS since I cannot use it. Does anyone here have real experience or knowledge on this subject?

Well in my modest layout it took many hours to separate the track grounds from the signal, decoders and other miscellaneous items.. I gave up on the crossing as it was too hard to work out...

The screens of the two devices look very similar and we know that they are made (or at least designed) by the same organisation, so I can't see why the information is different except for the fact that the CS uses a 60VA AC transformer and the eCOS uses a 90VA DC transformer...

After the IB blew up last year, I struggled with what to do next.. A new IB was nearly the same price as the CS (eCOS was not out then) and the IB is functionally inferior (e.g. using a floppy diskette to update - complex rituals to change address and other settings on newer decoders) to the upgraded CS or eCOS. In the end, the market forces you to make a choice.. [:0]

Of course, Dale could be correct in that ESU may be using the documentation to "force" their eCOS customers to abandon their 6017s in favour of the new eCOS Booster (not available yet as I understand it).

One reason for this post is to hopefully draw out some experience with boosters and eCOS (and CS for that matter) so that we can clarify this point in one place once and for all time(?)..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline rschaffr  
#15 Posted : 01 January 2008 01:54:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
That would certainly be a benefit for those of us who are yet undecided.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 01 January 2008 02:20:41(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have looked further into the site that Matthew suggested and it looks like the HSI-88 can connect the transformer ground to the eCOS ground.. http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/page/page_374.zip This looks to be an authoritative source from a manufacturer... The only difference is that I am not using LDT s88 units..

On this page http://www.ldt-infocente.../sampleconnections_e.htm click on the link "ECoS (3-rail conductor)" to see all the connections of LDT products to the eCOS... I wonder if Viessmann have gone to the same trouble??
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 01 January 2008 09:25:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
In the end I bridged the two newly separated ground circuits to make a common ground.. Nothing caught fire (so far)..

Still don't get a current reading from the 6017 on the eCOS display, but everything now works properly - fingers are crossed...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#18 Posted : 01 January 2008 11:27:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Adrian,
Do not let the smoke escape. That is costly. biggrin
N

PS:
I have my fingers XXXxx for tomorrow when I visit the PO. I MAY get lucky and score a parcel with a CS in it. biggrinbiggrin
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline xxup  
#19 Posted : 01 January 2008 11:48:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have the smoke watchers on standby and I have the portable electric smoke catcher fully charged.. biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I hope that the CS finally arrives intact.. It is very (I had a stronger adjective, but I indulged in some self-censorship) disgusting how long it has taken... [:(!][:(!][:(!]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 01 January 2008 12:19:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Adrian,
Do not let the smoke escape. That is costly. biggrin
N

PS:
I have my fingers XXXxx for tomorrow when I visit the PO. I MAY get lucky and score a parcel with a CS in it. biggrinbiggrin

Especially if it's technicolor smoke!! Nev, at your age, you've gotten lucky if you're out of bed by 9..... How's the gammy arm, by the way? Not worn out with too much imbibing, I hope?
Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 01 January 2008 20:44:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
DAvid,
Look at the time of this post and convert to NZ time. 9am indeed.
Arm is coming along quite nicely sometimes I cannot get the glass to the propper position and I have to move head. Secondary drinking arm giving problems, think it will be ok and not require a knife attack.
n
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 01 January 2008 23:49:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
By my reckoning that's a 5:45am posting you time, well done! You are up bright and early!

That's good to hear Nev, we can't have our prolific forum members out of action! Hope your CS shows up today, then you can show Adrian how a real MMR controller works!!
Offline nevw  
#23 Posted : 02 January 2008 01:42:50(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />By my reckoning that's a 5:45am posting you time, well done! You are up bright and early!

That's good to hear Nev, we can't have our prolific forum members out of action! Hope your CS shows up today, then you can show Adrian how a real MMR controller works!!

Stiff ssss went to Post office Nothing, Zero Zilth. Guess it is still lost in NZ.
Maybe Dion will have to supply another if it dont turn up soon.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 02 January 2008 03:11:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
Offline xxup  
#25 Posted : 02 January 2008 08:51:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The WDP upgrade arrived from Germany today.. So I will be REAL busy tonight... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Nev, sorry to hear that the CS still has not arrived...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 02 January 2008 11:31:56(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Disaster [:(][:(][:(] - The AUX1 (Viessmann 5200) transformer that was providing the power to the Viessmann 5211 decoders died tonight..

Coincidence??? [xx(][xx(][xx(]

There is now another 6002 transformer in its place - if that dies then we are back to the drawing board... [:(][:(][:(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#27 Posted : 02 January 2008 11:50:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Don't think so Adrian, just a coincidence.
Offline xxup  
#28 Posted : 02 January 2008 11:58:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I hope so - I am running out of transformers.. Off to the dealer this weekend I suppose... I am thinking of getting a eCOS Booster for additional piece of mind and sending the 6017s off to eBay...
Adrian
UserPostedImage