Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<8910
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#451 Posted : 03 May 2024 11:16:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I have 18045 from Local dealer via Marklin Germany for Gaugemaster.

I double check on box - not see any Made in China sticker.
Märklin add the "Made in ..." stickers for US exports, not for all non-EU exports.
Dealers "down under" also know it from the customs documents, but final customers do not see those stickers either.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#452 Posted : 04 May 2024 12:50:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I have 18045 from Local dealer via Marklin Germany for Gaugemaster.

I double check on box - not see any Made in China sticker.
Märklin add the "Made in ..." stickers for US exports, not for all non-EU exports.
Dealers "down under" also know it from the customs documents, but final customers do not see those stickers either.

Thanks for letting me know. I am lucky with with 18045.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TrainIride  
#453 Posted : 05 May 2024 19:38:39(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi,

got this on my 29453 START UP Container Train Starter Set:

Marklin_29453_f.jpg

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline H0  
#454 Posted : 06 May 2024 08:58:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
got this on my 29453 START UP Container Train Starter Set:
I have "Made in China" printed on the box of my 36243 class 24 loco. There is no "Made in..." on the box of the later 36244 class 24 loco.

So yes, there are "Made in..." prints on the boxes of some items, mainly entry level items with the colourful boxes.
But you do not find "Made in..." prints on the high-price grey boxes for the "professional" collectors, as Märklin call us freaks who spend huge amounts of money on small rolling stock.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#455 Posted : 06 May 2024 12:19:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I really dont care where Markklin is made as long as it works as described. Life is too short to spend time looking at labels on boxes amd anyway we appear to make almost nothing in the UK so about everything I buy is made in China` or some other country. As our locos get more complicated with sounds and lights etc chances are there will be more going wrong but so far I have been OK with what I buy.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline H0  
#456 Posted : 06 May 2024 14:26:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I really dont care where Markklin is made as long as it works as described.
What makes an item a "Märklin item"?
A Tillig car sold in a Märklin box is still a Tillig item with respect to philosophy and quality.
A Piko car sold in a Märklin box is still a Piko item with respect to philosophy and quality.

How about "Märklin" locomotives designed by Far-east companies and produced by Far-east companies?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#457 Posted : 06 May 2024 14:39:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Well, then it would really be Chinese, I guess. My brother in law has a Jeep design team in Shanghai, but I don't know for which market they do it for. He also has a few Cihnese designers and engineers here.
Offline HO Collector  
#458 Posted : 07 May 2024 22:41:13(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Marklin make their models in China. I got it in writing from Marklin.
Offline QQQ1970  
#459 Posted : 08 May 2024 00:02:21(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Does it mean Märklin owns a Chinese factory like Piko, or outsources to a third party for assembly?
Offline H0  
#460 Posted : 08 May 2024 08:29:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Does it mean Märklin owns a Chinese factory like Piko, or outsources to a third party for assembly?
Märklin do not have factories outside Europe, they rely on subcontractors - or on subcontractors of subcontractors.

It seems they outsource much more than just assembly. Chinese companies also can do zinc die-casting, as we learned from Köf II and Seetal-Krokodil..

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#461 Posted : 08 May 2024 23:44:20(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Märklin do not have factories outside Europe, they rely on subcontractors - or on subcontractors of subcontractors.

It seems they outsource much more than just assembly. Chinese companies also can do zinc die-casting, as we learned from Köf II and Seetal-Krokodil..

I think that the Seetal-Krok and the Kof II are examples of Chinese companies NOT doing zinc die casting!!!Confused

I believe that most models are made in Europe, but some of the more complex steamers, such as the wave of "surprise" models are outsourced to Asia.Huh

From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline dickinsonj  
#462 Posted : 09 May 2024 01:46:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I believe that most models are made in Europe, but some of the more complex steamers, such as the wave of "surprise" models are outsourced to Asia.Huh

Exactly!

I primarily collect Märklin's more highly detailed and richly functioned locos, which are always expensive. With some exceptions that means that the majority of my models purchased in the last 6-7 years have all been made in China. I have found that all of the Insider models and many other locos are made in Germany, most coaches are made in Hungary, and the special models primarily come from Asian sources.

When I first learned that my new top line Märklin loco was not made in Germany, I asked this forum why? After all, I buy Märklin models for German engineering and production quality. The wise response was that I would not have been able to afford that loco and it would have been less elaborate if it had been made in Germany. That made perfect sense to me and I eventually stopped caring where they are made as long as they are madel well.

Because of that I am amazed that there is still a controversy about Chinese production of Märklin models. If I excluded them I would have bought less than half of my new locos for some time now.

I find their quality to generally be equivalent to the European made models, but I am still very glad that my Northlander is German model. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#463 Posted : 09 May 2024 18:14:13(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
How do you know Northlander is made in Germany?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline dickinsonj  
#464 Posted : 09 May 2024 18:33:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
How do you know Northlander is made in Germany?

Well, I guess I don't know for sure, but as far as I know all of the Insider locos have always been made in Germany.

If someone knows one way or the other on Insider models I would love to hear that.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline petestra  
#465 Posted : 09 May 2024 22:53:53(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I just found this. Perhaps it will help with this discussion. I am assuming this is currently in effect. I just bought the Insider Lok

39583 and it states, Made in Germany.

Most H0-gauge trains are built from scratch out of basic elements — zinc alloy, steel, plastic pellets and paint — in the Göppingen plant, allowing Märklin to mark these models “Made in Germany.” Parts for other models are made in Göppingen and then assembled in the Hungarian plant.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline dickinsonj  
#466 Posted : 10 May 2024 01:57:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Most H0-gauge trains are built from scratch out of basic elements — zinc alloy, steel, plastic pellets and paint — in the Göppingen plant, allowing Märklin to mark these models “Made in Germany.” Parts for other models are made in Göppingen and then assembled in the Hungarian plant.

What was the source for this?
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#467 Posted : 10 May 2024 08:41:26(UTC)
H0

Sounds like the standard text from their website.
They forgot to mention that some products come completely from third parties and the only metal parts made in Göppingen may be the center-rail slider and the coupler loop.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline petestra  
#468 Posted : 10 May 2024 11:45:51(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

What was the source for this?

It was just a general Marklin internet search. (Bing).
Offline Michael4  
#469 Posted : 10 May 2024 11:47:28(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Not long ago I was driving a Mercedes, it was made in Mexico.

It worked OK.

Just saying...
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline H0  
#470 Posted : 10 May 2024 12:01:18(UTC)
H0

Because of that I am amazed that there is still a controversy about Chinese production of Märklin models.
Some folks think that everything from Märklin is made in Germany because every box shows the address of the Göppingen headquarters.
When they find out about "Made in China", they sometimes are very disappointed.

I think this is not a problem of quality, but a problem of faith and transparency. How many times did I hear a Märklin CEO complaining about bad quality from China and about transfers of product lines from China to Europe. Their advertising speeches with split tongue sometimes fire back.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#471 Posted : 10 May 2024 12:55:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, Audi and BMW have Mexican plants as well as Daimler ag. Certain models are assembled there and exported to the US and Europe.The ML class suv is only assembled in Alabama. Even ones for Europe.Final assembly is usually what is referred to as where something is made. Components and parts can be local and global sourced.
Offline Goofy  
#472 Posted : 10 May 2024 13:22:32(UTC)
Goofy

Because of that I am amazed that there is still a controversy about Chinese production of Märklin models.
Some folks think that everything from Märklin is made in Germany because every box shows the address of the Göppingen headquarters.

I think this is not a problem of quality, but a problem of faith and transparency. How many times did I hear a Märklin CEO complaining about bad quality from China and about transfers of product lines from China to Europe. Their advertising speeches with split tongue sometimes fire back.

That is what it happens to me when i do have problem about Märklin products and somebody here in the forum speet at me with useless comments. Are Märklinist here too fool against by self? How can you even be sure that train models you buy are not made in Germany and have bad quality controls?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline dickinsonj  
#473 Posted : 10 May 2024 14:06:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

That is it exactly Tom. I don't find Märklin's Chinese made models to be inferior, but I find it odd that Märklin tries to hide the country of assembly.

I currently have a 39853 ET 85 on order and it will almost surely be made in China. That is fine by me, but I will only know because the US requires country of origin attribution. Most people will never know where there models are made, and why does Märklin find it necessary to hide that information?

Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#474 Posted : 10 May 2024 18:53:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
One comment, which has nothing to do with China vs not China, but rather decision making in a highly niche, capital intensive industry. (well, by hobby standards of course)

If you look closely, the items made in China are (mostly) quite niche, unique in their components or details, and items I would label prime for a 1 or 2 time production. The V200s of the world are seemingly coming from Europe.

If I were Marklin I'd do the same thing: outsource the whole project with a built-in margin based upon a fixed (conservative) volume they know they can sell. It is good business, and minimizes the risk. It also eliminates the up front costs, carrying costs, and even warehousing costs. For a model that was never going to be a "bread and butter" seller in the lineup, why not? Its a great way to expand the business. that being said, it is also a tempting way to cut a few design corners on things they know they won't be selling - or more importantly servicing- repetitively for the next 20 years.

This is all my suspicion, but grounded in logic. Marklin wins ($$), certain modelers win (getting a desired model that wouldn't exist otherwise) and the world moves along. Until you need a spare part in year 2055 of course...

Edited by user 13 May 2024 06:27:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mvd71  
#475 Posted : 10 May 2024 21:27:11(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

That is what it happens to me when i do have problem about Märklin products and somebody here in the forum speet at me with useless comments. Are Märklinist here too fool against by self? How can you even be sure that train models you buy are not made in Germany and have bad quality controls?

I think you have a good point Goofy. We can’t know for sure where any specific model or its components are made, and Märklin are not telling us.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline mrmarklin  
#476 Posted : 10 May 2024 21:53:04(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I went with some friends to Toy Fair in Nürnberg ca. 2016 and we spoke with Florian Sieber himself. At that time the surprise models were being made in China. Most others were being made in the EU. Of course electronics…………..
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#477 Posted : 11 May 2024 00:02:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I went with some friends to Toy Fair in Nürnberg ca. 2016 and we spoke with Florian Sieber himself. At that time the surprise models were being made in China. Most others were being made in the EU. Of course electronics…………..

Or motors ............
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#478 Posted : 11 May 2024 09:37:09(UTC)
Goofy

Are Märklin trains 100% made of Märklin factory?
How can you be so sure about that?
You don´t!

Cool
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#479 Posted : 12 May 2024 19:21:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Are Märklin trains 100% made of Märklin factory?
How can you be so sure about that?
We can be 100% sure that not all "Märklin" trains are made in Märklin factories.
And we can be sure that not all "co-operations" are marked as co-operations in the catalogue.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage