Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PhillipL  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2019 01:54:18(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I am just curious, is the dump car item 4413 a fantasy car or is it a model of an actual freight car?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2019 02:06:20(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I believe it is fantasy.

I painted the earlier version, 4413, brown to look less fantastic:

https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2015/11/Kippwagen-4513.html

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2019 02:56:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
I am just curious, is the dump car item 4413 a fantasy car or is it a model of an actual freight car?

Not really a fantasy car. In German they are called "Kipplore", which might be a tipper wagon. Mainly used not in regular long distance trains, but on field railways. See here

https://www.museumsfeldbahn.de/wagen/78

or here in action.

https://de.wikipedia.org...Enttr%C3%BCmmerungen.jpg

More description about a "Feldbahn" (field railway) read here, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldbahn

Do not know why Märklin did not name it as "LORE". Some people do it, still today.

http://meine-kleine-eise...Selbstentladewagen-W5079

But today in business they are mainly replaced by tipper body trucks with 4 or 6 wheel drives.

Nevertheless there are such Feldbahnen still existing in Germany and used for people transport as well.

https://de.wikipedia.org...nd%E2%80%93Langene%C3%9F

https://en.wikipedia.org...dischmoor_island_railway
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:40:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have three of these and I have also painted them brown, though in real life this type of wagon could be any colour, including "deep rust" BigGrin

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PhillipL  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2019 12:33:20(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
All,

Thank you for the information and photos! I have been trying to research the car and found very little information on any prototype but I did learn that it has been part of the Marklin line for a great deal of time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2019 13:25:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
All,

Thank you for the information and photos! I have been trying to research the car and found very little information on any prototype but I did learn that it has been part of the Marklin line for a great deal of time.

It has certainly changed a lot over time. I think the red tipper has always been plastic, but the end support pieces were originally metal. The very earliest ones had a little latch that you pulled up vertically to release the tipper so it will tip sideways.

Later on there was some spring latch arrangement so the hand operated latch was no longer needed. Later the plastic support version that RayF has shown arrived on the scene - but I don't know just when this change was made.

Of more recent time the tipper has been released in various colours, one of the Start Up add-on sets had three wagons with different coloured tippers, none of them red, IIRC there was blue, yellow and green. There have also been versions with a black tipper in some start sets.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2019 14:07:36(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
this style of wagon is common in mining operations - but typically on small gauge track - as TEEWolf says - on Feldbahn operations.
Dale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2019 17:06:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The metal framed version of this wagon was the 4513, which was in the catalogue until 1976. Around that time all 45xx wagons were being replaced by the all-plastic 44xx series, and in 1977 the 4413 appeared for the first time.

The hopper itself was used also in the Minex narrow gauge range as a double unit, and this double unit also appeared in the Gauge 1 range.

Minex - 4459
UserPostedImage

Gauge 1 - 5859
UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline QQQ1970  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2019 21:37:55(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
All,

It has certainly changed a lot over time. I think the red tipper has always been plastic, but the end support pieces were originally metal. The very earliest ones had a little latch that you pulled up vertically to release the tipper so it will tip sideways.

Later on there was some spring latch arrangement so the hand operated latch was no longer needed. Later the plastic support version that RayF has shown arrived on the scene - but I don't know just when this change was made.

Of more recent time the tipper has been released in various colours, one of the Start Up add-on sets had three wagons with different coloured tippers, none of them red, IIRC there was blue, yellow and green. There have also been versions with a black tipper in some start sets.

I have the version with the release latch to tip the tipper.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 18 May 2019 09:12:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
All,

There was also the Silver one from 1953 only, not painted but actual silver plastic - very hard to find by all accounts....

Start Set CM805/3 with Silver Tipper

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2019 14:39:39(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have a silver one, which I did not paint brown!
Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 18 May 2019 20:49:55(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

There was also the Silver one from 1953 only, not painted but actual silver plastic - very hard to find by all accounts....

Hi Cookee,

I only know and have cars made of black plastic, sprayed silver. I have never seen cars made of silver plastic.

Regards

Markus
Offline Jabez  
#13 Posted : 19 May 2019 00:10:57(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
this style of wagon is common in mining operations - but typically on small gauge track

In mining parlance it is called a cocopan, all over Southern Africa at least. The derivation of the word, for your trivial pursuit winner, is from the Nguni word nqukumbana. The Nguni languages include Xhosa, Zulu, Ndebele, and many others.
N'jabez Cool

PS. I had one in my first Maerklin set from Germany in 1948 or so. As I recall it was metal, painted red, and had a spring clip to release the pan.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline DaleSchultz  
#14 Posted : 19 May 2019 21:20:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

In mining parlance it is called a cocopan, all over Southern Africa at least. The derivation of the word, for your trivial pursuit winner, is from the Nguni word nqukumbana. The Nguni languages include Xhosa, Zulu, Ndebele, and many others.
N'jabez Cool

When I studied Zulu, I learned that they were called "ingolovane". Which is the diminutive of inqola which is a cart or small wagon. (Also means ant.)

Plural would be Izingolovane. Sometimes the word is also used for a wheelbarrow.

Now, the locative form ("place of ") of Izingolovane is Izingolweni, and in southern Natal there is a narrow gauge railway that used to be powered with steam garret locos and one of the stations is Izingolweni - the place of the little carts.....

My grandfather, who worked at a colliery in the 1920s in SA, made a cocopan cart out of brass by hand. I took some pictures:
IMG_20190519_150624.jpg

IMG_20190519_150634.jpg

I forgot to measure, but I think the track is about 25mm wide.

Dale
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2019 23:27:54(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi Cookee,

I only know and have cars made of black plastic, sprayed silver. I have never seen cars made of silver plastic.

Regards

Markus

Thanks Markus, that may be my mistake, I was sure I read somewhere (Koll's ?) that they were hard to fake because the colour was in the plastic but appears I was wrong.

Personally I've never seen any other than Red. Something to watch for.

Thanks for the feedback

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Jabez  
#16 Posted : 20 May 2019 21:13:12(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

When I studied Zulu, I learned that they were called "ingolovane". Which is the diminutive of inqola which is a cart or small wagon. (Also means ant.)

Thanks for the expanded explanation. The word 'ingolovane' is clearly cognate to 'nqukumbana' with the 'ingola' bit represented by 'nquku' and 'vane' by 'bana', taking into account the phonetic representation of sound shifts between dialects/languages. The b/v shift occurs in some European languages, e.g. Habana/Havana.
But I think I'll stick to cocopans BigGrin
Jabez
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 20 May 2019 21:41:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the expanded explanation. The word 'ingolovane' is clearly cognate to 'nqukumbana' with the 'ingola' bit represented by 'nquku' and 'vane' by 'bana', taking into account the phonetic representation of sound shifts between dialects/languages. The b/v shift occurs in some European languages, e.g. Habana/Havana.
But I think I'll stick to cocopans BigGrin
Jabez

Aha "I'll stick to cocopans" - does anybody know what cocopans are?

I do not know.Confused So I stick a big Havana (cigar) in my mouth, smoking, dreaming and thinking when this will be an English speaking forum again.Bored
Offline Jabez  
#18 Posted : 21 May 2019 00:53:22(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Well you would if you had read the whole thread instead of just the last post.
RTFB or even in this case RTFT is always good advice.Laugh

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 21 May 2019 18:36:49(UTC)
TEEWolf

Well you would if you had read the whole thread instead of just the last post.
RTFB or even in this case RTFT is always good advice.Laugh

Oh I read the total thread. But not everytime a new post occurs. Also are my knowledge of - hm which language was it? - are very limited. I stay with the good Havanna, although I do not smoke.Laugh

But please, may you complete our DoA

https://www.marklin-user...y-of-Abbreviations/page3

with RTFB and RTFT?

Although you mentioned it in post #129 already, but did not explain it. Blink What use does a DoA have, if you do not write the full words beside the abbreviation? Or are you shy?Laugh
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 21 May 2019 23:05:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Although you mentioned it in post #129 already, but did not explain it. Blink What use does a DoA have, if you do not write the full words beside the abbreviation? Or are you shy?Laugh

Have you read post #134 ?? https://www.marklin-user...Abbreviations#post591088

Or is it that you just don't respect it ?? Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#21 Posted : 01 June 2019 21:38:02(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
What a wonderful series:

It also appears that the 2922 "Texas & Western" set had a silver one:

UserPostedImage

and the 82773 add-on set for mining had Gold, Silver, and Bronze (Copper) ones:

UserPostedImage

Quite 'Olympically' minded...(or maybe someone painted these? Love

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 02 June 2019 06:14:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Just a note to everyone please, and no one in particular - we are a community of friends, with a common interest.

There is a growing tendency toward sarcasm in some replies, when it would be far more pleasant for all if someone has made an error, (missed a particular posting for example), to simply give a link to that article or to the overlooked portion.

One sarcastic or discourteous reply often leads to another one in response, and the next thing it's a war of words between two people who at any other time could be happily enjoying some aspect of their shared hobby together.

And sometimes, the answers are easily found outside the forum - ie 'cocopans' - I got from the gist of the thread what they were, but I just googled it anyway to confirm;

cocopan in British (ˈkəʊkəʊˌpæn ) noun
(in South Africa) a small wagon running on narrow-gauge railway lines used in mines
Also called: hopper
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Word origin of 'cocopan'
C20: from Zulu 'ngkumbana short truck

So I've learnt something here also. It comes from a Zulu word, that's interesting. I quite like it. This remains an English-speaking forum, with plenty of words 'borrowed' from other languages to add flavour, and when those words are common or even unique to a particular region/country etc, and the person using the word is from the same region then the use is perfectly valid for context.

I was just quickly trying to think of a uniquely 'Kiwi' word for something railway-related but it escapes me for now.

RTFM BTW means "Read The Forgotten Manual" or any other relevant 'f' word that most easily fits your own vocabulary

I'll leave you to bring to mind and ponder the famous quote from Bambi, which I'm sure almost everyone already knows, having already been told it by their Mothers!!
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline PhillipL  
#23 Posted : 04 June 2019 00:20:44(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Just a note to everyone please, and no one in particular - we are a community of friends, with a common interest.

There is a growing tendency toward sarcasm in some replies, when it would be far more pleasant for all if someone has made an error, (missed a particular posting for example), to simply give a link to that article or to the overlooked portion.

One sarcastic or discourteous reply often leads to another one in response, and the next thing it's a war of words between two people who at any other time could be happily enjoying some aspect of their shared hobby together.

And sometimes, the answers are easily found outside the forum - ie 'cocopans' - I got from the gist of the thread what they were, but I just googled it anyway to confirm;

cocopan in British (ˈkəʊkəʊˌpæn ) noun
(in South Africa) a small wagon running on narrow-gauge railway lines used in mines
Also called: hopper
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Word origin of 'cocopan'
C20: from Zulu 'ngkumbana short truck

So I've learnt something here also. It comes from a Zulu word, that's interesting. I quite like it. This remains an English-speaking forum, with plenty of words 'borrowed' from other languages to add flavour, and when those words are common or even unique to a particular region/country etc, and the person using the word is from the same region then the use is perfectly valid for context.

I was just quickly trying to think of a uniquely 'Kiwi' word for something railway-related but it escapes me for now.

RTFM BTW means "Read The Forgotten Manual" or any other relevant 'f' word that most easily fits your own vocabulary

I'll leave you to bring to mind and ponder the famous quote from Bambi, which I'm sure almost everyone already knows, having already been told it by their Mothers!!

Okay, lets all do what we enjoy the most, run our wonderful Marklin trains! It is a hobby so there are no tests or chances to be fired. Off I go run my BR89 (my favorite loco) and some great freight cars including my dump car.
Offline Vanvlak  
#24 Posted : 04 June 2019 06:47:05(UTC)
Vanvlak

Malta   
Not sure whether I enjoyed most the linguistics, the conversion, the brass model, the silver colour one (there is one on ebay at the moment, whether it's original or not I cannot say - EDIT - NO, I think it's grey, not silver - sorry!) or the brown-painted ones, which look much better than the original red. The result is that as I had read this thread without the morning coffee having kicked in, I am now waiting for five of the things to be delivered...Blushing
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Vanvlak
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#25 Posted : 06 July 2019 21:40:58(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Just found this on ebay, so not sure how long it will last, but Märklin seems to have had a version of the car in its Spur O range in 1910:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...6daf3:g:tTMAAOSw~c1dHK3N

https://i.ebayimg.com/im...AOSwssRdHK3d/s-l1600.jpg

Drool

Jimmy

Edit: Sold 13 July 2019 after 49 bids: EUR 1.061,55 Blink

Edited by user 14 July 2019 18:14:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#26 Posted : 14 July 2019 18:11:42(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
And yet another possibility:

https://eisenbahnstiftung.de/ima.../bildergalerie/26753.jpg

"So auch dieser Schadwagen der RBD Stuttgart, der für die Zuckerrübenverladung benutzt wurde."
("So also this Schadwagen [from] the RBD Stuttgart, which was used for the sugar beet loading.")

Mellow with an upper ramp level for some 4413 from the outlying farms..."oh what a tangled web [I] weave" Unsure

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#27 Posted : 13 January 2022 14:46:19(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
It has taken me quite a while to realize I may have made a mistake in my post above with the 82773 Mining add-on set. Blushing

The tippers in that set (and the Texas & Western set) are 4-axle cars (using the same bogies as Mother M's other US-aspect cars) without buffers for the US market...

The 4413 is 2-axle.

Sorry if this caused any other confusions.Cool

Edited by user 13 March 2023 11:48:29(UTC)  | Reason: (spelling error)

Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#28 Posted : 13 March 2023 11:48:15(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I also found this as another possibility for running 4413s...scroll down to: "Bringing up the Grapes to make Wine in Germany"...just for fun...BigGrin

https://www.carendt.com/small-la...1-mid-month-bonus-issue/

UserPostedImage

also, over on Stummi's Forum is this about 1/4 of the way down "Lech Kies"

https://www.stummiforum.de/t1229...e-Anlage-fertig-war.html

UserPostedImage

The Wonderful World of 4413 and its variations!Love
Jimmy T
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline ccranium  
#29 Posted : 13 March 2023 18:26:27(UTC)
ccranium

Great find, Jimmy. Having a collection of 4413's, 4513's and various wine barrel cars I now know the consist of my layout's new wine train. Now to think of ways to fill the tippers with HO-scale grape clusters...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ccranium
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#30 Posted : 13 March 2023 19:19:57(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
ccranium wrote:
"Now to think of ways to fill the tippers with HO-scale grape clusters..."

That's what I'm thinking!!! I have my Bordeaux wine barrel cars all lined up for the finished product...and...Love
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#31 Posted : 14 March 2023 12:11:40(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
ccranium,

...way back in the mists of time on the attached thread, Bigdaddynz mentioned that one of their club members made grapes from very small polysty balls...

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ain-routes-and-vineyards

The only small grape bunches (crafts/doll house) I have found are still too big (I think) approx. 1.4 cm x 2.4 cm, but perhaps it was a bumper crop this year? LOL LOL

However, hope springs eternal that someone may have a source (other than cutting the grapes off of the Busch Vineyard or off of the Preiser figures for Grape Harvest...the element of damage is pretty close on ultra-tiny things like that, I imagine...Unsure )
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#32 Posted : 15 March 2023 20:41:43(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
And there is also the ÖBB KLVM Love set 28723 with a cement-gray color for Perlmooser Zementwerke (although I do reailze that most zementwerke products use covered hoppers or silowagen...there might be some items and raw materials that can be moved in open tippers...p. s. looking for the pics Wink Wink )

https://marnan.eu/artikel/65503/...2-stoomlok-treinset.html

UserPostedImage

All manner of possibilities with our 4413sCool

Not sure if these tip or not (Heidelberger Zement in Kiefersfelden) - pretty close though:

UserPostedImage
Jimmy T
Offline Carim  
#33 Posted : 16 March 2023 10:10:50(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
...there might be some items and raw materials that can be moved in open tippers.

Limestone.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#34 Posted : 16 March 2023 11:47:03(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
...or scrap concrete to be recycled into aggregate perhaps, or ground finer to be reused at the zementwerke? Just ideas.
Jimmy T