Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#51 Posted : 21 October 2022 16:01:14(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I received mine a week ago. I felt it not that heavy IMHO, removed the ashtrays and i must say that i am very happy with it, running flawlessly with 5 wagons and R1 and R2 Mtrack with 5% grades. Indeed she does not like curved turnouts very much, but that is almost a standard with newer and other brands locomotives, so one pair is already gone and the other will be out at the same moment that i receive a couple of 5200 ones.
Overall very, very happy with the loco and its performance.
Regards

Hi. good yours is working fine, have you noticed if your front wheels lift up on the inside?[/quote

Hi, a little bit on R1, but does not affect thé running at alk.

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#52 Posted : 22 October 2022 00:41:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi BHP
Thanks, Jean, I had forgotten about the ashtray. and Märklin did not include the notice with my locomotive.

Please don't take offense with my question: have you checked the document drawer at the back of the carton? The documentation is hidden there (or on the internet of course)

Kind regards
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline dickinsonj  
#53 Posted : 22 October 2022 01:15:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

On the 39662 gearboxes I pushed the grease down and it was only "blocked" at the top, it was not overfilled.

I should have thought of that. Most of my locos come that way actually, with fairly small amount stuck at the top, which needs to be pushed down onto the gear.

Whether needed or not, I tend to be extra careful with lube levels on the gearboxes of steamers.

The BR 06 looks beautiful btw - I am eager to get mine.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#54 Posted : 22 October 2022 10:30:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Please don't take offense with my question: have you checked the document drawer at the back of the carton?
The PDF manual was created on August 30. Locos were already shipped before that date, but I don't know what's different between the printed version and the online version.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline bph  
#55 Posted : 22 October 2022 10:33:12(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi BHP
Thanks, Jean, I had forgotten about the ashtray. and Märklin did not include the notice with my locomotive.

Please don't take offense with my question: have you checked the document drawer at the back of the carton? The documentation is hidden there (or on the internet of course)

Kind regards
Jean

none taken :), it's a valid question. but there is absolutely no documentation in the box that describe the ashtrays.
I have an Excel document with a list of locomotives and wagons etc. The list includes a quick link to manuals and parts lists, stored on my computer. And the manual I downloaded first also lacked that information and is identical to the printed manual in the box.

But it seems that the locomotive was never intended to be officially capable of R1. An employee at Göppingen told me that a senior manager made a typo and wrote R1 in sted of R2, and the wrong information went out to other departments and marketing etc. if this information is accurate, then it's an expensive typo....

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The PDF manual was created on August 30. Locos were already shipped before that date, but I don't know what's different between the printed version and the online version.

The first online manual, just for reference: 39662 old manual

Märklin has also (so far?) released at least 3 different decoder projects for this locomotive, the 3rd and final? is the one installed in the locomotive.
(last time I checked the last version was only available on the web pages, through the mDecoderTool I got an older project.)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline mbarreto  
#56 Posted : 25 October 2022 18:38:09(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Mine doesn't run backwards on R2 (no need for turnouts to have the problem).
The problem seems to be the distance between tender and locomotive. When set in the large distance between tender
and locomotive, this distance doesn't keep constant. When runing forward this distance is big (as it should be) and the locomotive
goes well on R2, including 24611/2 turnouts. When running backwards the locomotive shrinks that distance and derails easily without a single success pass on R2.
It will go tomorrow to the dealer.
I didn't open the tender but I think it is a part that is not in place or is broken inside the tender.
I will keep you updated when I have it back running well.
Despite this problem that I am sure will be solved with relative ease, I like a lot the locomotive and I prefer it over the Brawa in red that I also have. But I think is
just the tonality of the Brawa red and the dynamic smoke of the Brawa. Both are excellent in look.

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline bph  
#57 Posted : 26 October 2022 15:29:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Mine doesn't run backwards on R2 (no need for turnouts to have the problem).
The problem seems to be the distance between tender and locomotive. When set in the large distance between tender
and locomotive, this distance doesn't keep constant. When runing forward this distance is big (as it should be) and the locomotive
goes well on R2, including 24611/2 turnouts. When running backwards the locomotive shrinks that distance and derails easily without a single success pass on R2.
I didn't open the tender but I think it is a part that is not in place or is broken inside the tender.
I will keep you updated when I have it back running well.
Despite this problem that I am sure will be solved with relative ease, I like a lot the locomotive and I prefer it over the Brawa in red that I also have. But I think is
just the tonality of the Brawa red and the dynamic smoke of the Brawa. Both are excellent in look.

Regards,
Miguel

Sorry to hear about your problems, but as you suspect something is probably wrong/broken. I had no problems with the tender, running backwards, and the distance was constant, (with long distance)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline JohnjeanB  
#58 Posted : 26 October 2022 15:43:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Miguel
What you describe is either the short coupling between the loco and tender not being locked into the wide position
or the same coupling is brocken (latching knob brocken)
Which is which? I don't know.
Cheers
Jean

Offline ocram63_uk  
#59 Posted : 26 October 2022 18:25:08(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
out of curiosity is the chassis of this loco all in one piece. 3047 had it in two pieces and ran flawlessly.
If it is in one piece I wonder why they didn't do it like the 3047? Just a question
Offline mbarreto  
#60 Posted : 26 October 2022 19:29:25(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hello,

Jean and Bph, thanks for your replies. Problem solved in the dealer.
Basically, the tender distance was not locked in the wider spacing. It was not locked in the narrow spacing either, but from what I
understood there is no locking in the short distance.
This is why when the locomotive was running in forward there was no problem as the spacing was wide, but when the locomotive was
running backwards the spacing changed to narrow.

I must say that the locking was not so easy to achieve, and it was needed to remove the slider and the part just above the slider
as it is not easily seen with all parts assembled.

I am happy now that the issue is solved :-)

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline JohnjeanB  
#61 Posted : 26 October 2022 19:37:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Marco
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
out of curiosity is the chassis of this loco all in one piece. 3047 had it in two pieces and ran flawlessly.
If it is in one piece I wonder why they didn't do it like the 3047? Just a question

Yes Märklin stopped using articulated chassis around 1980.
At the time ALL locos were capable of riding on 5120 industrial track with a 286mm radius (much smaller radius than today's R1). I checked this personnally.

Also in 2017, Märklin released a 241 model the 39241 (242 A 65 SNCF) which runs flawlesly on all C Track radii. I have also the 39243 (241 EST) and they run MUCH BETTER than the BR 45. So, Märklin controls the technique of driving axles lateral play.

Re. the 39662, the issue seems to be located with the front bogie and its tendency on R1 to have its wheels rubbing the chassis.
I am confident that Märklin's corrections are good. Simply, when purchasing a 39662, one must pay attention to the manufacturing date (Sept. Octb. and NOT end July.).

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#62 Posted : 26 October 2022 20:15:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Basically, the tender distance was not locked in the wider spacing. It was not locked in the narrow spacing either, but from what I
understood there is no locking in the short distance.

I am pretty sure there is.
Jean

Offline dickinsonj  
#63 Posted : 27 October 2022 01:54:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Also in 2017, Märklin released a 241 model the 39241 (242 A 65 SNCF) which runs flawlesly on all C Track radii.

Good observation Jean.

My 241 moves through tight spaces more easily than many smaller locos.

Obviously that is a well engineered model and it miraculously handles the tight cures with ease, showing that a long wheelbase is not an excuse for poor running.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline hxmiesa  
#64 Posted : 27 October 2022 10:55:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Delete. I commented on an error in a 1 year old post, that was already corrected.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline mrunix  
#65 Posted : 19 November 2022 21:10:46(UTC)
mrunix

Sweden   
Hi Marco
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post

Yes Märklin stopped using articulated chassis around 1980.
At the time ALL locos were capable of riding on 5120 industrial track with a 286mm radius (much smaller radius than today's R1). I checked this personnally.

Also in 2017, Märklin released a 241 model the 39241 (242 A 65 SNCF) which runs flawlesly on all C Track radii. I have also the 39243 (241 EST) and they run MUCH BETTER than the BR 45. So, Märklin controls the technique of driving axles lateral play.

Re. the 39662, the issue seems to be located with the front bogie and its tendency on R1 to have its wheels rubbing the chassis.
I am confident that Märklin's corrections are good. Simply, when purchasing a 39662, one must pay attention to the manufacturing date (Sept. Octb. and NOT end July.).

Cheers
Jean

Hi, just picked up my 39662, how to find the manufacturing date?
Offline AlekJ  
#66 Posted : 17 December 2022 19:36:10(UTC)
AlekJ

United States   
Hello,

I observed on my BR 06 the same phenomenon as the one noticed by Jean (quote): "the first bogie axle "taking off" sometimes and being frozen".
Actually, the second axle of the front bogie is affected more frequently by these intermittent symptoms in my BR 06 than the first axle.
In case of my BR 06, the front wheels are not getting completely stalled but they rotate slower than they are supposed to.
Provided you encountered similar behavior, could you please suggest any remedies against it?

Besides the issue described above, I am very satisfied with this detailed model of good running characteristics, but I use it exclusively on the large radius curves.

Regards,
Alek

Hi BHP
Thanks for the videos.
Beautiful loco, as usual you may expect it to accept R1 (although Märklin says R2). I can see the first bogie axle "taking off" sometimes and being frozen
I trust Märklin to cover this point. The 2 other large Märklin locos I have 39241 (SNCF A65) 39243 (EST)n are riding on R1 much better that many other large Märklin locos (BR 45)
I am a bit disappointed by the pulsed steam (when compared with REE locos) and also by the sound.
The conceptor says a large LP and a "ResonnazKörper" was added but still the sound is not up to the model.
Just my opinion.
I have ordered one. We will see
Cheers
Jean

Offline JohnjeanB  
#67 Posted : 17 December 2022 22:53:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alek
Welcome to the forum.
Regarding your loco, is it the first run (Göppingen deliveries started in early July 2022) or the second corrected run (Göppingen deliveries from September)
I have received my loco late October as one of the last units but since it is my Xmas present I can't tell more yet.
I understand that Märklin made changes on returned machines and those not yet delivered to dealers in late July 2022.

What triggered my remark is this video

Chances are, thefront bogie's wheels are rubbing against the frame or the body and the point of contact will become shiny and w/o paint.
Cheers
Jean

Offline AlekJ  
#68 Posted : 18 December 2022 02:35:21(UTC)
AlekJ

United States   
Hello Jean,

Thank you very much for your prompt and welcoming reply.
I believe my BR 06 is already of the corrected batch as I received it from the US dealer in early October.
Fortunately, the case of my BR 06 is not so extreme as the one shown on the video referred to in your message. Only the axles of the front bogie are intermittently affected. Intermittent nature of this issue makes it challenging to troubleshoot. I let my BR 06 to be examined by another US Maerklin dealer who was not able to recreate the symptoms.

Regards,
Alek

{quote=JohnjeanB;654268]Hi Alek
Welcome to the forum.
Regarding your loco, is it the first run (Göppingen deliveries started in early July 2022) or the second corrected run (Göppingen deliveries from September)
I have received my loco late October as one of the last units but since it is my Xmas present I can't tell more yet.
I understand that Märklin made changes on returned machines and those not yet delivered to dealers in late July 2022.

What triggered my remark is this video

Chances are, thefront bogie's wheels are rubbing against the frame or the body and the point of contact will become shiny and w/o paint.
Cheers
Jean

Offline Goofy  
#69 Posted : 18 December 2022 06:48:23(UTC)
Goofy

Märklins new locomotives are more advance and Märklin recommended use curve at least R2.
It is same with the new passenger cars that are derailment often on curves R1 and narrow turnouts.
It depends on the locomotives wheels and passenger cars by buffer.
Bigger curves and longer turnouts are better.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline 7gauges  
#70 Posted : 25 December 2022 00:44:42(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
What an absolutely amazing model. I just picked it up at my dealer in NE Calgary, driving along black ice covered roads at -33 C… totally worth the extra danger….it’s awesomeness is only eclipsed by the 39777 Scinenzeppelin that my adult kids thought was the coolest thing ever.

I will say running it in a parallel loop alongside the noisy 3007/Sk800 around the Christmas tree … the sk800 with the smell off the allstrom (ac) motor, and the angry gears, is truly a Maerklin Christmas memory, and I pick the Sk800…. knowing it isnt a “real” BR06.

The smell of the ionized brushes on the commutator is something the incense manufacturers in Germany need to works on….I was happy to get Bratapfel and Marzipan incense this season.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by 7gauges
Offline JohnjeanB  
#71 Posted : 25 December 2022 12:36:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Evenybody
First I wish you all a merry Christmas
Like you 7gauges, I received mine as a Christmas present (a wonderful one)
I ordered just before the deadline late February 2022 so my loco was one of the last one (left Märklin factory in very late October to my large train shop in Germany and direct to my place on 7th November. Together I ordered a 250 mL bottle of SR24 (smoke liquid and cleaning agent)
I put it to work immediately on a piece of track.
The loco is absolutely fabulous with lots of details, very loud sounds that I had to reduce and a wonderful smoke unit especially at slow speed.

The only change I did is to cut the sound of the German-speaking description. Not that I don't like German but, when pushed inadvertently, it lasts for ages.
and yes, the SK800 is the forerunner of this loco even if it is a truncated BR06.
Here is a small video of it. Pardon the big mess and the German description of the loco (Voice of the German Product designer)

My SK800s date from 1951 in a train package called SK846 4 (with four German cars) below. I bought it at a Flea market in my home town 6 km from Paris center

SK846 4H IMG_3553R.jpg

Another train I have is the SK846 4J (J for International cars) I bought near Atlanta GA.
SK846 4J IMG_3563R.jpg
So, no large Christmas tree here, no cold temperature (+10°C, Approx 45°F) but, like you, lots of fun
Cheers
Jean
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mbarreto  
#72 Posted : 25 December 2022 15:54:21(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I wish Merry Christmas to all!

Together I ordered a 250 mL bottle of SR24 (smoke liquid and cleaning agent)

Hi Jean,

Didn't know that smoke fluid. When you say cleaning agent, do you mean it has some additional protection to the smoke device?
I use the Märklin recommended and it works well, and as usual with the smell :-)

For curiosity, I also tested the recommended fluid for the BR06, UP 844 and Albatroz (02421) in a Märklin 72270 (in Insider BR 18.5) and it didn't work.
In the 72270 I had to use the 02420 (recommended) and it worked.

Regards,
Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#73 Posted : 26 December 2022 00:54:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Miguel
Didn't know that smoke fluid. When you say cleaning agent, do you mean it has some additional protection to the smoke device?
I use the Märklin recommended and it works well, and as usual with the smell :-)

SR24 is a product made by the German manufacturer Herkat.
It is both a smoke fluid (very effective but without flavor) and a track cleaning fluid.
It is much cheaper than the Seuthe smoke fluid I think
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Dave Banks  
#74 Posted : 26 December 2022 07:46:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline JohnjeanB  
#75 Posted : 26 December 2022 12:13:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I tested once the Lionel smoke fluid but it does not work on Seuthe smokers
The dynamic smoke unit draw much current compared with the loco:
- loco alone 130 mA
- loco with dynamic smoke 540 mA

I just tested my BR 06 on R1 M track including turn-outs and it works provided:
- the ash device on the loco is removed (as per leaflet)
- the coupling between loco and tender is fully extended: Putting the loco back in its package may unlock the coupling from its extended position so be sure to check this
- the track must be in very good condition no rail bent, good straight and tight joiners
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#76 Posted : 26 December 2022 16:50:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Karosene works in my Seuthe smoke units.
Offline mbarreto  
#77 Posted : 26 December 2022 18:20:19(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

It is both a smoke fluid (very effective but without flavor) and a track cleaning fluid.

For track cleaning some days ago I used Isopropanol and it worked very well. I have some doubts if it will not damage the C track plastic, so
I am not decided to use it regularly. Just in extreme cases.
This is a bit out of topic so I apologize.

Relative to the SR24, I will for sure test it as soon as the 02421 finishes. And I will also test to clean the track!

Regards,
Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Armando  
#78 Posted : 21 January 2023 01:44:47(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Inquisitive mind...

Is there any excusable and logical reason why the Märklin design of the BR 06 includes a removable engineer's cabin made of plastic (which leaves an unsightly gap against the metal body of the boiler), while the Brawa BR 06 comes with a solid body from boiler to cabin? - Go figure!Confused
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline dickinsonj  
#79 Posted : 21 January 2023 02:06:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
Inquisitive mind...

Is there any excusable and logical reason why the Märklin design of the BR 06 includes a removable engineer's cabin made of plastic (which leaves an unsightly gap against the metal body of the boiler)

I can see modeling the cab in plastic to reproduce even finer detail than the best metal castings do. I prefer metal loco bodies myself, but plastic looks great on the layout.

The bulk of the loco is metal, heavy and substantial, and nicely cast, with just that one plastic component, so I am quite happy with mine. I also do not have a detectable gap between the cab and boiler. It looks just like the panel seams cast into the main boiler body.

Maybe a production variance on some models?

Regards,
Jim

Offline Armando  
#80 Posted : 21 January 2023 03:11:37(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Inquisitive mind...

I also do not have a detectable gap between the cab and boiler. It looks just like the panel seams cast into the main boiler body.

Maybe a production variance on some models?

br06.JPG

[img]http://[/img]
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline dickinsonj  
#81 Posted : 21 January 2023 15:39:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Inquisitive mind...

Hello Armando,

Looking through the critical eye of my phone camera I find that the gap in my BR 06 is similar to yours after all. My mistake.

You are correct that there is a visible gap between the plastic and metal parts, although it is within a tolerance that I can accept.

When viewed at the distance I normally view HO models, it still looks fine to me, but I can see what you object to.

It is not unreasonable to expect better from Märklin considering the cost of their top models.

BR_06_02.jpegBR_06_01.jpeg
Regards,
Jim

Offline marklinist5999  
#82 Posted : 21 January 2023 16:15:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Marklin has been using plastic cabs for decades. The more times you remove them, the looser they fit, and the holding tabs can break off. If light doesn't show throught he seam, I'd leave it alone. Otherwise, I'd try black tape around the inner cab sides. This one probably has screws.
Offline Armando  
#83 Posted : 21 January 2023 18:33:55(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Inquisitive mind...

It is not unreasonable to expect better from Märklin considering the cost of their top models.

Also, the tender shell on the Brawa model is made of metal.
Definitely, an astronomically expensive insider model which is not one from Märklin's top drawer.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline dickinsonj  
#84 Posted : 21 January 2023 18:41:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Definitely, an astronomically expensive insider model which is not one from Märklin's top drawer.

That top drawer seems to be increasingly out of reach these days.

On the bright side, it is at least from a Märklin drawer and not made by another company. That may be the best we can hope for going forward. I am just glad that I have so many quality models and have cut way back on adding to them.

Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
bph
Offline Armando  
#85 Posted : 21 January 2023 18:49:17(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has been using plastic cabs for decades. The more times you remove them, the looser they fit, and the holding tabs can break off. If light doesn't show through the seam, I'd leave it alone. Otherwise, I'd try black tape around the inner cab sides. This one probably has screws.

This plastic cabin has no screws. It is pushed-on.
Is there any logical explanation why the cabin has to be a different piece made of plastic? I would understand it if this locomotive had been a standard BR 44 or BR 50, and Märklin would consider making many different issuances of them with different road numbers. But there were only 2 of BR 06. Possibly, the only logical explanation is that eventually they will come out with number 06 0002. So, economy of scale, at the expense of both aesthetics and quality.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Armando  
#86 Posted : 21 January 2023 18:51:27(UTC)
Armando

United States   
... it is at least from a Märklin drawer and not made by another company.

Not sure these days, with fabrication in China all the more frequent.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline dickinsonj  
#87 Posted : 21 January 2023 20:55:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Not sure these days, with fabrication in China all the more frequent.

My BR 06 packaging has a made in Germany label, and the pike coach set has a made in Hungary label. ThumpUp

Edited by user 22 January 2023 01:06:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj