Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#51 Posted : 13 February 2011 12:24:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
In the absence of any other list for 2011, I'm taking the Dutch one as my guide for this year. Obviously they're running behind on the January deliveries.

Let's hope we get an update posted soon on the German site.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Alfa V8  
#52 Posted : 13 February 2011 16:35:40(UTC)
Alfa V8

Originally Posted by: Loadmaster Go to Quoted Post
May I ask a question?

I have looked at BEMO as they offer some HO items in AC and DC.
Specifically I have been considering BEMO 1593411 SBB Ed 2x2/2 Mallet steam locomotive - Metal Collection AC Digital.
It costs $873.55 USD from a retailer in New York City.
Are there any EU dealers that offer this with a discount?
Are there any members that run BEMO engines?
I'm interested in your experience with this brand.Confused

Thanks for your feedback.

Robert
Confused

Hi Robert

I have the little Bemo Mallet tank for AC, in this country, South Africa, it was a expensive item, the equivalent of about $800.00 at the time a few years ago. I must say it is a fantastic little engine, very well built, all the pipe work and other details are there even in the cab and all in metal. All axles are driven the rear engine unit is rigid with the locomotive main frame, like the real mallets while front engine unit slides side ways as per full size through curves. Mine runs absolutely silent with very good slow running ability, it comes fitted with a ESU lokpilot decoder and the slider is under the rear engine unit. This little engine only needs sound.Love

There is no room in it for a speaker, I might change the decoder to a ESU loksound V4 at a later stage and fit the speaker in a wagon behind the locomotive.

I am very pleased with mine, ThumpUp ThumpUp

Hope they bring it out in the preserved locomotive colors at some stage

You can view a few pictures of mine at

http://www.flickr.com/ph.../sets/72157625913676023/

Regards

Hannes
Every day provides new opertunities. H0 mostly Marklin, still using my 6021, LGB in Gauge 1, live steam in larger gauges.
Offline jvuye  
#53 Posted : 14 February 2011 09:53:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Alfa V8 Go to Quoted Post

I have the little Bemo Mallet tank for AC... I am very pleased with mine, ThumpUp ThumpUp

Hannes

I do have it too in 3rail AC
It is true gem Love
Yes it was expensive, but worth every penny!
It runs beautifully, never hangs on a turnout, smooth and sweet!
I consider fitting it with Krois (telex-)couplers to make it "the perfect little engine for a branch line". Wub
If re-edited, I'll get a second copy!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline jvuye  
#54 Posted : 14 February 2011 09:55:52(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Offline laalves  
#55 Posted : 14 February 2011 10:20:25(UTC)
laalves

Congratulations for the owners (and prospective owners) of such a beautiful little machine!
Offline jvuye  
#56 Posted : 14 February 2011 10:40:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Quote:

You can view a few pictures of mine at

http://www.flickr.com/ph.../sets/72157625913676023/

Regards

Hannes

You Sir Hannes of SA make beautiful model train pictures!
Interesting to see you fitted Kaddee couplers! Smile
Offline nevw  
#57 Posted : 14 February 2011 10:46:34(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
A beautiful detailed Loco.

Magnificent.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline TimR  
#58 Posted : 14 February 2011 11:03:57(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Just visited http://www.micromacromundo.com/ for Marklin 2011 items.

Amazingly some prices are pretty close to Lokshop's...
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline nevw  
#59 Posted : 14 February 2011 11:05:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post

And Lokshop is MRRP less 10% for 2011.

NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline TimR  
#60 Posted : 14 February 2011 11:08:20(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post

I wonder when one of the bigger German dealers will break rank... still waiting for ETS prices.
Offline nevw  
#61 Posted : 14 February 2011 11:12:51(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post

I wonder when one of the bigger German dealers will break rank... still waiting for ETS prices.

I dont think it will be ETS as they got burnt last year by Marklin.

I know of one dealer offering good discounts to regular customers but advertising MRRP or les 10%.

NN
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#62 Posted : 14 February 2011 11:21:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

You're right, they are quite close.

I'd laugh if they called Marklin's bluff. Maybe they might be prepared to take a hit with delivery times to get the volume sales. Of course, this is just me thinking out loud!
Offline gachar001  
#63 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:04:16(UTC)
gachar001

India   
After reading this thread, I just decided that my M* purchases will be extremely limited. I will only buy a few must have items or maybe even refrain from buying anything at all.
Sorry M*, I don't like your arrogance.
If enough people decide with their wallets like what I am generally hearing from most folks on this thread, M* will learn a lesson.

In the US, there was some lawsuit a few years ago about companies trying to force retailers to limit discounts. This went all the way to the supreme court and it ruled that the practice was legal. I don't have all the specifics of the case. Some states like Maryland promptly put laws in place to make such practices illegal.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#64 Posted : 15 February 2011 10:15:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Some of ajckids prices are even better!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#65 Posted : 16 February 2011 11:35:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

ETS now have a few of their 2011 New Item prices on their website, but by no means all of them. One or two items are discounted by more than 10%, e.g. 37573 E03, ETS price is 249.99 EUR, Marklin RRP 319.95 EUR.

http://www.modelleisenba...p?s=M%C3%A4rklin%20NN-11
Offline steventrain  
#66 Posted : 16 February 2011 11:55:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

ETS now have a few of their 2011 New Item prices on their website, but by no means all of them. One or two items are discounted by more than 10%, e.g. 37573 E03, ETS price is 249.99 EUR, Marklin RRP 319.95 EUR.

It is same price as 37573 on lokshop, The 37573 was 2010 new item.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TimR  
#67 Posted : 16 February 2011 11:56:04(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

They haven't reveal all their cards yet... a lot of items are still yet to be priced.

Given the option, I'll happily wait for a few months more for delivery in exchange of bigger discount.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#68 Posted : 16 February 2011 21:17:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
The 37573 was 2010 new item.

It is also a 2011 New Item, with a RRP of 319.95 EUR
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#69 Posted : 16 February 2011 21:18:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Given the option, I'll happily wait for a few months more for delivery in exchange of bigger discount.

Hmmmm, me too! Gives us a bit more time to save the dosh! WinkWink
Offline TimR  
#70 Posted : 17 February 2011 06:11:49(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

Hmmmm, me too! Gives us a bit more time to save the dosh! WinkWink

Just gives me an idea to the return of price transparancy on the Internet:

Why don't any of the courageous "rebel" dealers advertised TWO prices on their website?

ONE with 10% RRP for those who wanted quick delivery,
and the other with 20%+ discount with expected delay of ** number of weeks/months vs the above.

LOL LOL
Offline mjrallare  
#71 Posted : 20 February 2011 18:04:48(UTC)
mjrallare

When looking at Märklin's homepage you are now shown a sign saying "Kauf ist Vertrauenssache". If you read on, you are informed about how excellent it is to buy from a "tradional" shop and how bad it is to buy from, for example, e-bay.

I guess this is one more proof that the "shop-lobby" have convinced Märklin that the future lies in the past. How sad.

/Torbjörn
Offline steventrain  
#72 Posted : 20 February 2011 19:18:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
When looking at Märklin's homepage you are now shown a sign saying "Kauf ist Vertrauenssache". If you read on, you are informed about how excellent it is to buy from a "tradional" shop and how bad it is to buy from, for example, e-bay.

I guess this is one more proof that the "shop-lobby" have convinced Märklin that the future lies in the past. How sad.

/Torbjörn

I see it, See other topic about warranty. https://www.marklin-user...68#post274468#post274468
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#73 Posted : 20 February 2011 19:35:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

/Torbjörn

I couldn't disagree more. Having not had a proper model shop now for years, I really miss the great advantage of being able to go into a shop and see the models, talk to the shop owner, and even test the model you would like to buy. Everything that can be done to promote proper model shops should be encouraged, not condemned.

At the same time, it is a great boon to all of us living far from proper shops to be able to buy on the internet, and ebay is a good mechanism for this, but I believe that it is best used for buying second hand models, much in the same way we would do so from swap-meets, second hand shops, and markets.

When buying new, I prefer the shop to have a proper stock of the entire Marklin range, including spare parts, and to be able to offer after sales service. Shops like Lokshop do this, but most ebay sellers don't and cannot offer this. This is why they can afford to give bigger discounts.

I don't see why real shops should be condemned to the past. They provide a very necessary function for the modeller, and they are sorely missed when they are forced to close down. What are we all going to do when they all disappear, buy direct from Marklin? Where do you think ebay sellers get their stock?

People who live purely in the internet world lose sight of the realities of life. This is what is sad.

Ray
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#74 Posted : 20 February 2011 20:22:06(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
You are so right Ray, we really do need more model shops to be able to look,feel, chat, and test. until then....LOKSHOP is the answer.
Joe
Offline David Dewar  
#75 Posted : 20 February 2011 20:41:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ray. I could not have put it better. I have no time for ebay and the so called dealers. Marklin are trying to ensure that Dealers are just that and have proper premises and hold stock that can be seen and demonstrated before buying. We do have a couple in the UK but they dont really hold much stock and the prices are too high hence I use the net but only from a shop where I can speak to staff if required. A business which invests in premises and staff should get support from Marklin and if they wish sales outside Germany have a site in different languages and take credit card transactions.
The only thing a dont agree with is trying to get them all to sell at the same price which means old stock will sit on the shelf unsold and there will not be the odd bargain for customers.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TimR  
#76 Posted : 20 February 2011 21:50:56(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Looks like that this "brick & mortar VS online shop" discussion has gone full circle.

My thinking is simple.
The market should dictate how you designed your business model. And business models need to evolve to adapt.

You may want to tell everybody your "best" and "preferred" business model, but if it isn't suitable for the market, you are only prolonging the inevitable; as eventually the market force will crush you.

Maybe you think you can reinvent the market. Many people believes so and failed. Only the very few are successful in reinventing the game; but they certainly play by new rules, not the old rusty rule book.

Now we had discussions here before:

How many of us really think seriously that an MRR brick & mortar shop is a profitable and thriving business?

Do you want to be an official Marklin dealer - especially if you're outside Germany, knowing what you know?

How many *new* items in our inventory are bought online? How many do you buy from a store?

How many of us would not had become a Marklin buyer - had eBay, online dealers, or even more basic; internet connectivity doesn't exist?

Well, me thinks that the market has spoken.
Offline Webmaster  
#77 Posted : 20 February 2011 22:17:47(UTC)
Webmaster

The big "local shop" trouble is that you can't afford to keep so much in stock, and also that you maybe only have a few enthusiasts within a 1 hour drive nowadays...

To get some volumes and some profit for the stuff you have in stock, you have to be an "online" seller too... And then you are into the wasp nest of Internet dealers with hefty discounts... And that's a different piece of cake... Not easy to keep a physical shop on merits nowadays...

I myself would love to open a model train hobby shop - but a business plan is not valid, due to the lack of interest locally among eg children in favor of computer games, and the "nostalgia" guys would not buy enough. Only way to make a business would be to go "global" as eg LokShop and offer stuff on the Internet for good prices, combined with a small shop just for the fun of meeting potential customers...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline David Dewar  
#78 Posted : 20 February 2011 23:23:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Juhan. BY having a business like Lokshop etc you will make money but it requires investment. Lokshop and others do not just sell model rail but various kits and other items. Much of the profits come from the smaller items like paints etc which are bought in shop.
The reason that the model shops in the UK dont stock Marklin is that there are very few here who want the product as Hornby is the big seller with Roco and Fleischmann taking the HO market.
Gaugemaster has been a good business in the UK for many years as are other shops including many in Scotland. It is a matter of giving the customer what they want and in the UK it is not Marklin.
I can buy Brawa here for the same price I pay in Germany and if Marklin was to provide the same consideration to dealers here then I would buy Marklin in the UK.
Having had many model shops as customers of my Bank over the years all have and continue to make money the few that have closed tend to be the chains with many stores and staff who know nothing about what they are selling. It is essentail now to have the facility to sell on the net and take credit card payments .. this again requires investment.
With Marklin not supllying the ebay sellers and not giving a warranty unless bought through an authorised dealer then this will put the ebay lot out of business (if you send a model to them under warranty they will have to pay for repairs themselves)
Many of the model/toy shops also sell computer games etc and this is the way to go. Model rail on its own is a dying business and I would not consider it as a stand alone profit maker.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mjrallare  
#79 Posted : 21 February 2011 13:30:53(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
I don't see why real shops should be condemned to the past. They provide a very necessary function for the modeller, and they are sorely missed when they are forced to close down. What are we all going to do when they all disappear, buy direct from Marklin? Where do you think ebay sellers get their stock?

People who live purely in the internet world lose sight of the realities of life. This is what is sad.

I think e-bay shops and on-line dealers get their stuff from Märklin (at least the "authorized" ones). I think Märklin has "pushed" a lot of "shelf-warmers" through these dealers during last year.

And I was deliberately being provokative. But I honestly don't "sorely miss" any local shop. If they have problem with profitability it's because people don't really want to pay for "the extra service" they are giving. Sad but true.
I buy camera-equipment now and then. Before, I always bought at a "local shop". But what did they really offer me for that higher price-tag? Well, a dusty lense full of finger-prints from other customers who thought it was nice to be able to "see and feel" what was on the shelves. That "reality of life" made me change to an on-line supplier. This supplier doesn't only have much better prices, since they also supply many of the professionals in the nordic countries their expertise is second to none. For me the experience is the same with MOBA-dealers.

Problem is that we are not (as collective) prepared to pay the higher prices charged by smaller local shops. Meaning that what they offer are not valuable enough to justify the higher price. At least in Sweden it has been like this in nearly every business for twenty years. Everyone loves the "small shop" but no one is prepared to pay to save it from bankruptcy!
So we can kill free competition and say that everyone has to have the same prices. Great! Stop progress instead of adapting to it! Sure made people in the old eastern block happy...

As I said before I don't think the shrinking MOBA-business can "afford" all these smaller shops in the long run. All wages and rents and other expenses.

So when I say "how sad", it's because I think it will hurt Märklin in the end. Not save it.

/Torbjörn

By the way, I have nothing against "smaller shops" as such. I always buy from two smaller shops in the country-side where I live, because they are very friendly and I don't need to drive for half an hour to get for example a pack of batteries. And I always buy from them, not just when it's convenient. But if I'm the only one appreciating their business it won't help in the end.
Offline kbvrod  
#80 Posted : 21 February 2011 14:22:37(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
From another site:
Quote:
And as for this "the hobby is dying" crap, there was an editorial in a Model Railroader some time back about how craftsmanship is dying, everything is getting too expensive, and there are no kids getting involved and all the people at the train shows are over 50, so the hobby is doomed. That was in the 1950's.

Dr D
Offline mjrallare  
#81 Posted : 21 February 2011 16:34:40(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
From another site:
Quote:
And as for this "the hobby is dying" crap, there was an editorial in a Model Railroader some time back about how craftsmanship is dying, everything is getting too expensive, and there are no kids getting involved and all the people at the train shows are over 50, so the hobby is doomed. That was in the 1950's.

Dr D

1950 computer games didn't exist.
1950 the Märklin family was still firmly in control of their company.

What wasn't true in the 50s could very well be true today. But I do hope your quote turns out to be "true".

/Torbjörn
Offline Elukka  
#82 Posted : 21 February 2011 18:49:41(UTC)
Elukka

Well, model railways weren't the only kind of entertainment in the 1950's either. I don't really see computer games being at odds with model railroading.
Offline David Dewar  
#83 Posted : 21 February 2011 20:38:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ask any kid if he wants a model railway or a computer game. Some will look at you as if to say 'whats a model railway'
In 10 years time there will be very few manufacturers of model rail. Even now firms are combining or going out of business.
This does not bother me one bit as it is my hobby and if somebody keeps me going then thats fine as I cant force the younger generation into something they dont want.
There are however the youngsters of the present buyers of models who may well keep things going but at the present cost of a layout there are plenty of cheaper options. A decent layout will costs several thousand euros and most wont spend that these days.
Model rail is a top hobby for mainly older guys with cash ... just ask any seller.

dave
Offline Webmaster  
#84 Posted : 21 February 2011 20:40:15(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Much of the profits come from the smaller items like paints etc which are bought in shop.

So true, my local shop in Malmoe survived by being the distributor of Tamyia paints and kits and his daily bread came from that business... Unfortunately neither the shop nor the owner are alive anymore...

But it was always nice to go there and look & chat, buy model kits for the son, paints and occasional Märklin items or accessories... Had the principle to always buy something while I was in there, since he sometimes complained about people just coming in and looking at things... He was not a dealer with good Märklin knowledge, but it was always nice to be there and there was always something you "needed" to buy - may it be a Roco wagon, Preisers or such...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline RayF  
#85 Posted : 21 February 2011 20:45:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Ask any kid if he wants a model railway or a computer game. Some will look at you as if to say 'whats a model railway'
In 10 years time there will be very few manufacturers of model rail. Even now firms are combining or going out of business.
This does not bother me one bit as it is my hobby and if somebody keeps me going then thats fine as I cant force the younger generation into something they dont want.
There are however the youngsters of the present buyers of models who may well keep things going but at the present cost of a layout there are plenty of cheaper options. A decent layout will costs several thousand euros and most wont spend that these days.
Model rail is a top hobby for mainly older guys with cash ... just ask any seller.

dave

The way I see it the hobby will split more markedly into two camps, toy trains for kids, and model railways for adults.

The survival of the hobby depends on enough adults remembering their toy trains when they eventually get tired of computer games, and taking it up as a hobby. That's when they will spend the money.

I think it is very important for us adults to continue to buy our kids toy trains so that they get the initial introduction to this fascinating world.
Ray
Offline Elukka  
#86 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:11:26(UTC)
Elukka

I doubt they will get tired of computer games any more than the last generation got tired of TV. But that's fine since the two hobbies are not mutually exclusive.
Offline TimR  
#87 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:30:02(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

I think e-bay shops and on-line dealers get their stuff from Märklin (at least the "authorized" ones). I think Märklin has "pushed" a lot of "shelf-warmers" through these dealers during last year.

And I was deliberately being provokative. But I honestly don't "sorely miss" any local shop. If they have problem with profitability it's because people don't really want to pay for "the extra service" they are giving. Sad but true.

Trouble is I don't think Marklin has a clear idea on how much % of their stuff are being traded online. The fact that they don't actually sell directly to end customer further isolate them away from the actual market.
Some individual dealers like Lokshop or ETS will have the online vs shop figures - but it still won't tell the accurate picture; AND I don't think Marklin bothered to ask them.
My speculation: the volume of new Marklin traded online to end customers can be as much as 50% - and it has good prospect to grow annually - if properly supported.

Now if you're in the business, your priority should be increasing your sales.
You should do what the market naturally tells you - not based on nostalgia, or any sentimental reasons.
An increasing portion of your stuff are being traded online - what can we do to sell more?
How can we improve the service for those items sold online - as like it or not, they are still representatives products of what we can offer customers?

Why would you then form a strategy to clamp down online trading? Don't you want to sell more and make more profit?
If you tell your customers to go back and buy at traditional B&M shops, do you think they'll listen (as in Marklin classic example)?
Offline RayF  
#88 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:38:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Who said anything about stopping the sale of Marklin online? Good authorised Marklin dealers can sell both in a shop and online. What I think is to be avoided (and I agree with Marklin on this) is the sale of new items by somebody who has no support infrastructure.

Independent ebay sellers who don't actually own a shop can offer you no guarantees about the origin of the product, no support if something goes wrong, and no support from Marklin either!

Ebay sellers can make plenty of money on second hand models. They should not undercut proper shops by selling new Marklin from dubious sources.
Ray
Offline David Dewar  
#89 Posted : 21 February 2011 23:13:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Fully agree Ray. A good business with a shop and trained staff can sell both in shop and on line and hopefully give their customers good service. As you say ebay can do the second hand stuff.
If the hobby is to progress we dont need sellers with a computer working from their arm chair while they watch TV.
When it was on the go I enjoyed visiting MacKays models in Glasgow. They were Roco dealers and held large stocks. They also suplied the trade with Lenz digital. Ken MacKay was a great guy and I bought Roco and Brawa from him (he did not suply Marklin due to poor service from Marklin) Sadly when Ken died so did the business without an enthusiast to take it over. Just visiting a shop and spending time talking to a real model rail enthusiast is what the hobby needs.
For the present I have to buy online but only from a business of some substance.

dave
Offline TimR  
#90 Posted : 22 February 2011 04:35:47(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Who said anything about stopping the sale of Marklin online?

Ray,
I was still writing within the concept of Marklin marketing strategy.

This whole topic is about price fixing of 10% discount. Since online trading works on the basis of price transparancy, this strategy would harm the market, particularly those most affected are the official dealers themselves - who are bound by contract to Marklin.
So far I can't see that it would harm the grey dealers who has no contract to Marklin anyways - it may even create better growth environment for more of them clogging up eBay. Meaning: less competition offering >10% discount since the official dealers are now gagged. I guess we'll know in few months...

One can only assume that the policy is aimed toward leveling out the playing field between "traditional" vs modern dealers like Lokshop and ETS that can offer bigger discounts online.

As for the rest of your comment in regards to irresponsible "grey" dealers - I would agree that there are many that won't be able to offer the same level of support as a proper dealer would. The worst ones are probably buying factory rejects and selling them for a quick cash at "buyer's risk".
But this is the same with every other electronic or consumer goods that you can buy anywhere today - whether you're buying online or at a physical store.

Problem is, on the Internet, everyone can see the grey dealers' e-Bay shops. If they're operating a side street vendor, they won't be discussed here..

But sellers aren't necessarily "bad" just because they don't own a physical shop.

There are lots of accountable online retailers these days that don't even possess a shop, just a small or large warehouse.
This doesn't mean that they didn't bought from the proper channels,
they won't have the support system in place or can't provide for warranty claims.
They're really just carving themselves a niche out of today's modern retail industry -
and MRR is not immune to this development.

So I believe that customer should always have the choice.

I'll throw in another question:
Would Marklin accepts if a genuine person applies to become an official dealer if he intends to open an online-only dealership?

Would they be accepting if this turns out to be the future of official MRR dealership?

Edited by user 22 February 2011 13:12:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Elukka  
#91 Posted : 22 February 2011 04:53:02(UTC)
Elukka

I'll throw in another question:
Would Marklin accepts if a genuine person applies to become an official dealer if he intends to open an online-only dealership?

Well, knowing one such dealer, I'd say yes. I guess the general dearth of local leaders might make Märklin more open to that, though.
Offline mjrallare  
#92 Posted : 22 February 2011 21:20:07(UTC)
mjrallare

Who said anything about stopping the sale of Marklin online? Good authorised Marklin dealers can sell both in a shop and online. What I think is to be avoided (and I agree with Marklin on this) is the sale of new items by somebody who has no support infrastructure.

Independent ebay sellers who don't actually own a shop can offer you no guarantees about the origin of the product, no support if something goes wrong, and no support from Marklin either!

Ebay sellers can make plenty of money on second hand models. They should not undercut proper shops by selling new Marklin from dubious sources.

Just for the record, I buy mainly from an authorized dealer in Germany who owns a shop and who also sells a lot through e-bay. The two other dealers I've bought from on e-bay are authorized dealers with shops. I've bought from them because they have offered great prices. Often on stuff that Märklin has "poured out" on to the market. Lokshop seems to be popular in this forum. And they have given 20% discount. Have they undercut proper shops?
Are there really that many dubious sellers on e-bay selling new stuff? Who are these dubious sources supplying them?

And please explain to me someone, how are the MOBA-business going to be able to "feed" all these small shops? How many locos does a small shop have to sell just to break even? Märklin must find a cheaper way of supplying their customers in the long run. There simply isn't enough money left in the MOBA-business to sustain hundreds of small shops anymore. And through internet you can reach everyone and you can reach them cheaply. Service? Märklin already uses several "service-partners" so that can't be a problem.

As I've said before, I have nothing against "proper shops". But they have to make a living on their own merits. I'm not prepared to pay 10% extra so that Willie Schmidt in Kleinstadt can struggle along yet another year before the inevitable catches up with him. Yes I feel sorry for him, but that's how it is in the world of business. It's the survival of the fittest. Competition is what has created the prosperity we have today. It surely isn't without faults, but as Churchill said about democracy "it is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried".

I think it's a bad move by Märklin to try to interfere with competition by telling their dealers what prices to use (what does UVP stand for anyone?). And regardless if Märklin are dictating the prices or if the dealers have agreed to use the same prices. It's illegal. And for a good reason too!

/Torbjörn
Offline David Dewar  
#93 Posted : 22 February 2011 23:24:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I agree that price fixing is not good but only supplying decent shops with staff is I think excellent. Shops like Kramm ,Lokshop and Michael Weiss etc have been around for many years and can service both callers and those who shop on the net. These businesess do well and also give work to others and should get support from Marklin whereas Fred in his spare bedroom in my view is not what is required in any business.
In the UK it is the shops with good stocks and staff who are enthusiasts that also do well ..Gaugemaster etc (they dont sell much Marklin but do well with other makes)
Ebay is fine for secondhand and stuff that sellers dont want but try to make some cash from whatever they are thinking of throwing away (not Marklin of course.. much too good to go in the bin)

dave
Offline arconell  
#94 Posted : 23 February 2011 01:23:43(UTC)
arconell

I agree that price fixing is not good ...

dave

Hi all,

It is not so much a matter of being not good; price fixing in any way shape or form is simply not allowed within EU. For those of you who read German, see this link:
German Kartel Blog
In short, it is a recent (2009) report on 3 companies involved in price fixing using almost exactly the same methods and arguments M is using. As a result they were fined by the Bundes Kartell Amt. Such fines would definitely kill a just remerging company like Märklin... I am still hoping M gets to read this before the Bundes Kartell Amt does...

Robert
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#95 Posted : 23 February 2011 09:13:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

I emailed ETS to see if they had a price for the 37607 TEE Railcar and the 43117 coach set. Their response was that they don't have prices for the 2011 New Items until May.

Maybe they are prepared to take a hit with delivery times in order to provide better discounts. We shall see.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#96 Posted : 23 February 2011 11:24:54(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post
I agree that price fixing is not good ...

dave

Hi all,

It is not so much a matter of being not good; price fixing in any way shape or form is simply not allowed within EU. For those of you who read German, see this link:
German Kartel Blog
In short, it is a recent (2009) report on 3 companies involved in price fixing using almost exactly the same methods and arguments M is using. As a result they were fined by the Bundes Kartell Amt. Such fines would definitely kill a just remerging company like Märklin... I am still hoping M gets to read this before the Bundes Kartell Amt does...

Robert

Interesting, and no doubt correct.

I very much doubt if Märklin are even hinting at price fixing, they are simply warning their customers that sourcing their product from "unrecognised" dealers may be fraught with difficulties (for the customer).

I do read into all this that Märklin are attempting to "limit" their distribution to "recognised" dealers, and I don't think there is anything illegal about that. My experience on eBay.de is that some major sellers are usually selling off "remainder" items, like SOMO cars, and stuff that a hobby shop, or maybe even Märklin themselves, found to be dead stock, and can pass on to some eBayer at a discount. Probably a necessary part of the remainder and disposal market.

For example, it is not illegal in Australia for manufacturers/distributors to pick and choose through whom they sell, in fact, plainly discriminate. Not illegal at all! And if they find a seller bringing disrepute on their product or brand (discounting the price, poor service), they can easily think up a legal excuse as to why their supply line has been terminated. On the other hand, they can simply state at any stage that a particular product line, will ONLY be sold via such-and-such a shop or chain of stores, thus effectively limiting or stifling competition. Not illegal!

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#97 Posted : 23 February 2011 11:56:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I very much doubt if Märklin are even hinting at price fixing

Last year you could use www.stummi.de and www.froogle.de to look for good Märklin prices and the best offers were 20 through 25 % below RRP.
This year the cheapest prices you will find are 10 % below RRP.
Rumours say that dealers advertising cheaper than 10 % below RRP will get penalized by late delivery of items.

Dealers who advertised 20+ % rebates in their e-mail newsletters last year do send their steady customer special prices via snailmail this year.

This is not price fixing between competitors, but it's price dictation from the manufacturer.
Roco and Brawa have done it for years, now Märklin does it, too.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#98 Posted : 23 February 2011 12:12:50(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

I emailed ETS to see if they had a price for the 37607 TEE Railcar and the 43117 coach set. Their response was that they don't have prices for the 2011 New Items until May.

Maybe they are prepared to take a hit with delivery times in order to provide better discounts. We shall see.

To each their own,
but it may pay to wait out rather than pre-ordering stuff for 2011 new items.

The market doesn't usually react very well to a sudden 12.5% to 15% jump in prices, especially in non-essential items like MRR - so the behavior of buyers and sellers this year will remain to be seen.
We've talked about buying second hands, Roco, Brawas, HAG , etc as alternatives - doesn't really matter. Every penny not spent on new Marklin doesn't go to Goppingen - period -

Stability of the Eurozone still somewhat a question mark (have they really averted disaster?),
Oil prices are pushing US$100, while food commodity is again also on track for record inflation rate this year..
IMO the wise and all-knowing Marklin management can't choose any better year to play out their huge gamble.

For us the lowly Marklin end buyers, this is a good time to catch up with items from previous years' releases.
AFAIK the 10% minimum discount policy only applies to 2011 items.
So take a good look at items from previous years - and stock up on what you can.
Chances are, they may not come any cheaper than that ever again.

(Hey, they may even appreciate to match new prices... just speculation of course)
Offline David Dewar  
#99 Posted : 23 February 2011 12:19:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Tom. I can buy Roco at big discounts which are more than 10%.
In a way it is good that Marklin will give support to dealers with shops etc and then by reducing discounts allow them to make a decent profit.
However this works against both dealers and customers and the manufacturer.
Customers buy less because of the cost and thus the manufacturer sells less. Also shops with stock they cant sell are stuck with a high price.
What to me seems very childish is the threat of late deleveries which shows a lack of good management at Marklin.
If they wish to control prices within the band of full retail less 10% thne the dealer should sign up to this and if does not comply thne will no longer be a dealer.
In a year or two I think this will fail and we will be back where we were.

dave
Offline H0  
#100 Posted : 23 February 2011 13:43:56(UTC)
H0

Hi, Dave!
I can buy Roco at big discounts which are more than 10%.

So can I.
But does the dealer advertise the big discounts?
In the search engines I only find offers for 2011 new items up to 10 % below RRP.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage