Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2011 20:45:36(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Lokshop 2011 price list now online

http://shop.lokshop.de/i...;pagesize=300&page=1

20% off last year but this year is only about 10% less that RRP.ThumbDown

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:02:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Steven.

We pay a little bit more, but it could have been worse. At least there are new models for us to buy!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TimR  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:07:35(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

Thanks, Steven..

Prices of the top range models without VAT
39392 = 325 Euro
39022 = 302 Euro
39565 = 340 Euro

BR042
37925 = 325 Euro
37926 = 278 Euro - more expensive than what I paid for my BR01 with full sound.

Overall Good incentive to start considering Brawas.

37804/37820 V200 = 271 Euro for an old tooling model with noisy DCM motor

Lollo = 210 Euro
BR110.3 = 203 Euro
Both of these are more expensive than the any price I've ever paid for previous releases with SDS; and these will come with can motors of questionable origin.

Hello, Roco...
(Lokshop already released 2011 prices for Roco a while back)

Overall Lokshop will not lose my business,
but Marklin will.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:31:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hey Tim,

I thought I'd check out those prices. Lokshop price for a Roco 110.3 is 192.60. That's 10 euro cheaper than the Marklin price you quote. Not exactly significant.

I'll stick with Marklin.
Ray
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:31:53(UTC)
H0

It was already discussed on this forum: Märklin will penalize dealers that advertise with more than 10 % rebate.

When you compare prices at www.froogle.de or www.stummi.de, you'll find the same prices: -10 % almost everywhere, but never more rebate.

Ask the dealers you trust if they have special prices for steady customers (and keep that information confidentially).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:40:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
This now makes Lokshop more expensive as they charge an extra 3% for credit card payment.
As said this now makes Brawa worth more purchases and Roco cheaper although i dont like plastic.
Looks like Lokshop will now lose my business.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2011 22:01:08(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Hey Tim,

I thought I'd check out those prices. Lokshop price for a Roco 110.3 is 192.60. That's 10 euro cheaper than the Marklin price you quote. Not exactly significant.

I'll stick with Marklin.

Hi Ray,
Those Marklin prices I quoted are without VAT.

There are no BR110.3 in Roco 2011, but there are quite a few in 2010;
this is around 161 Euros w/o VAT - Lokshop price.
40 Euros is more than enough to cover shipping cost to New Zealand.

With VAT, the price difference is even bigger:
Marklin 37011 is 242 Euros (as in Steven's link)
Roco's is just 192.60 Euros

I prefer Marklin, but the price difference is now too difficult to ignore. Previously (for me), Marklin also has SDS advantage and metal body, but now SDS is gone; they're halving their advantage, at a significantly higher cost.

If Marklin is going to play can motor, I will tend to trust a brand that have more experience in its application throughout their range.

And if Roco is all it's cracked up to be, then Marklin's in trouble in my books..
Offline TimR  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2011 22:08:31(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Ask the dealers you trust if they have special prices for steady customers (and keep that information confidentially).

Thanks, Tom..
Will do that.
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2011 22:11:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Unfortunately Lokshop also has to conform to the "rules" imposed by M, to not having to experience the late shipment punishment threat... Crying

Hopefully you will get a better price if you log in to your account, if the shop software has the feature for "steady customers"... Otherwise, even the web shops might die out just as the local dealers have done, even in Germany...

Then what? Should we all by directly from M at the prices they have in their web shop? Disaster...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2011 22:12:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I love that Austian electric. I have to think about that one seriously! PeterUnsure
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2011 22:16:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry Tim, I guess I made a mistake over the VAT.

Still, the Marklin loco (37011) has sound and MFX, and the Roco one doesn't, so I guess 40 euro difference is still justified.

I guess we all want Marklin to be cheaper, and I understand people want the best deal.

Ray
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2011 23:33:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I dont see how Marklin can get away with this but even worse is it will reduce their sales which shows just how poor their thinking is. Marklins profit is selling to the trade what the trade sells at is their business and the lower the price the more Marklin makes in their sales.
Anyway I have no problem buying model rail other than I look for value and if that is not thre then I do not buy. Marklin of late are not so reliable and as said above their motors are back to being on the noisy side along with their gears. Brawa and Roco run smoothly and silently. Brawa is more expensive but their metal models are well detailed and the firm gives great support to their customers thus creating better value that Marklin. Roco is plastic but well detailed but for me plastic is not great. HAG are more expensive and the firm gives little support and the range hardly changes and there is little value in ther models .. they do run well and have good detail though.
Basically cash is not a problem but I am not spending a lot on what is a cheap item to make ( just cost a rake of coaches with lighting units and sliders ) and buy a new DVD player or TV set and compare what you have for your cash. That shows value when looking at the components etc plus what the product does.
I like three rail and I like Marklin but three rail comes first and providing the service is good I buy from the cheapest dealer.
I know Marklin folk on the forum will pay any price and defend Marklin with their dying breath and I have no problem with that as it keeps the firm going but a futher 10% in addition to the usual yearly increase makes the hobby expensive for many new folk to model rail. Just looki at the price of the CS2 ... is it worth paying that now? I reckon it is 150 euros overpriced ( and thats the discount price at Lokshop)
However I have plenty of locos and track so I can choose with care what I will buy and that now includes all the other manufacturers.

dave

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2011 00:19:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully you will get a better price if you log in to your account, if the shop software has the feature for "steady customers"...

Unfortunately not! I get the VAT exclusive prices for the 37607 TEE Railcar, but adding the VAT back in, the price is still only discounted by 10%.

I somehow doubt whether I will be buying too many 2011 Marklin new items.
Offline TimR  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2011 00:35:38(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Hi Dave,
Marklin EBIT result for 2011 will make an interesting conversation as to whether their strategy pays off.

My only thinking at the moment is just to avoid 2011 items like plague and to stock up on the well discounted 2010 or before items. This is not difficult for me considering the pathetic product range and their "policy" for 2011.

Surely, in time, Marklin will discontinued these older items and soon we'll have the entire range confirming to 10% discount prices.

It remains to be seen whether they will hike up the prices for C-tracks and K-tracks (this will be about 12.5% hike from current price) - now that will put a dent in people's pocket as Marklin held a monopoly over track supply.

But if they do hike up the prices, hopefully something like Peco could step in and start offering 3-rail tracks.

Since the new "policy" announcement, I do look up the Brawa and Roco product offering more closely. Once the discounted previous years items ran out, these, by default, will be my preferred suppliers simply because of good recommendations that I heard; and also they haven't pissed me off nearly enough as opposed to the arrogant Marklin.

In all, I regret having symphatized with Marklin during the insolvency period.

Rather than addressing the too-expensive pricing of Marklin abroad, they chose to "force" increase on German prices to close this widening gap.

This is IMO completely delusional and already tells a lot about this company.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2011 01:47:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yep, I agree Tim. I think I will be looking to catch up with some of the 2010 (and earlier) models, and maybe some 2nd hand models.

I just got the 39235 Br23 (the one without sound) at 230 euros, RRP is 330 euros. I doubt whether we will ever see any 2011 items that heavily discounted, at least not an upfront discount that big.

I will get the 37607 TEE Br601 Railcar and additional carset, the red streamlined Br03, and maybe the 30050 retro Br23. I have doubts about anything else, including the UP F7.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 11 February 2011 10:41:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
ETS are yet to post their 2011 prices. It will be interesting to see what they do, since they defied Marklin over the 37993 Big Boy.

But realistically, I'm not expecting anything more than 10%.
Offline Elukka  
#17 Posted : 11 February 2011 11:07:57(UTC)
Elukka

Has anyone tried to find out if what Märklin is doing is actually legal? (the price fixing)
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2011 11:40:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Dealers are required to enter into a legal contract with Marklin for the right to call themselves "Official Marklin Dealers". Both parties to the contract will have to adhere to certain conditions, and one of these is for a fixed price structure. This is necessary for Marklin to ensure that the dealers who represent them are serious in their obligations to both Marklin and the customers.

The official price and allowable discount should not prevent dealers from making "special offers" available for end of line clearances, new year sales, etc. I'm sure this is not the intention from Marklin.

Marklin has every right to try to ensure that "back room" dealers do not undercut their official dealers on price by setting maximum discount rates as they have done. I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing they have in house lawyers themselves who have made sure it's legal to include such clauses in their dealer contracts.
Ray
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 11 February 2011 12:43:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ray. In the UK any price fixing is not allowed and many firms have had large fines for trying this.
Our problem is that Marklin is just a toy firm and is small in the scheme of things and I expect of little interest to anybody other than enthusiasts like ourselves. As there are not really any UK dealers who hold stocks of any note or are interested in selling Marklin then they will not complain but any complaint to the European Court may well have some success.
Meanwhile I will not purchase any of their new items and now go for other makes who appear to do their best to keep customers happy. Never thought I would turn against Marklin but the past two or three years have shown just what a poor firm they now are. Hopefully things might change but I doubt. I have orderd some C track at old prices and now have enough to keep me going forever so I no longer need Marklin.
Providing Lokshop keeps Faller prices at their usual level then I will buy that make from them but Brawa and Roco and any necessary Marklin will now go elesewhere.

dave
Offline TimR  
#20 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:08:16(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Providing Lokshop keeps Faller prices at their usual level then I will buy that make from them but Brawa and Roco and any necessary Marklin will now go elesewhere.

dave

Hi Dave,
AFAIK Lokshop is also an officially registered dealer for Brawa and Roco.
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:20:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Ray. In the UK any price fixing is not allowed and many firms have had large fines for trying this.
Our problem is that Marklin is just a toy firm and is small in the scheme of things and I expect of little interest to anybody other than enthusiasts like ourselves. As there are not really any UK dealers who hold stocks of any note or are interested in selling Marklin then they will not complain but any complaint to the European Court may well have some success.
Meanwhile I will not purchase any of their new items and now go for other makes who appear to do their best to keep customers happy. Never thought I would turn against Marklin but the past two or three years have shown just what a poor firm they now are. Hopefully things might change but I doubt. I have orderd some C track at old prices and now have enough to keep me going forever so I no longer need Marklin.

dave

Sorry to see you losing interest in Marklin, Dave.

I've been looking at the prices and they don't actually look too bad when you deduct VAT and convert to pounds. I certainly don't see a huge increase over last year's prices. Maybe the Pound has recovered slightly against the Euro?

By the way "price fixing" is when manufacturers get together to decide not to undecut each other. That is certainly illegal. What Marklin are requesting is that the dealers comply with the conditions of their dealerships, which is perfectly legal.

Nevertheless, if you feel you are being hard done by you are entitled to take your custom elsewhere. Of the alternatives, I find Brawa too expensive, and Roco very similar in price to Marklin. Piko is cheaper in their Hobby range, but you get what you pay for.
Ray
Offline mjrallare  
#22 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:29:18(UTC)
mjrallare

Marklin has every right to try to ensure that "back room" dealers do not undercut their official dealers on price by setting maximum discount rates as they have done. I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing they have in house lawyers themselves who have made sure it's legal to include such clauses in their dealer contracts.

They actually have no right at all to do this. They can differentiate the discount they give to their customers, but they cannot tell them what prices they should use towards the end-customer.
Another thing is what can be proved in a court of law. I guess nothing of this is written down on a paper.

I think Märklin has been "forced" to do this by the many small shops suffering from bad profitability. Even Karl Marx wouldn't argue against the fact that higher prices leads to lower demand. So if they don't change their margin towards the shops, this can only hurt Märklin. I guess they think that the small shops are important for the future, but I think they are wrong. How shall a shrinking MOBA-business be able to support all this small shops with employees and high rents? No matter how nice they may have been, they are a thing of the past...
The only reason to buy in a shop is that you can have a look at your model to see that it doesn't have any flaws. And that hardly shouldn't be necessary in the first place!

Well, I can live with this. The swedish currency is strong and I have money to spend. With Märklin it's a different story. It will cost them in the short run and in the long run it will give them nothing!

/TorbjörnThumbDown
Offline Elukka  
#23 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:33:16(UTC)
Elukka

As I recall there's an EU site where you can ask about and report questionable business practices. I can't find it anymore, though...
Anyone know where you could ask some kind of authority about this?
Offline TimR  
#24 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:52:49(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
Even Karl Marx wouldn't argue against the fact that higher prices leads to lower demand.

You capture the basic economics nicely..ThumpUp
I guess Marklin will just have to learn it the hard way.

Personally, I'm putting 3 year moratorium on any items affected by the "new pricing".
Maybe by then, the inflation rate had caught up with Marklin's 12.5% hike and I can find this "new pricing" more reasonable.

Offline atilla  
#25 Posted : 11 February 2011 18:00:53(UTC)
atilla

It seems to me that I've seen American companies offering some of these models cheaper. I get to make one purchase a year and have to pick one of the less expensive models. I've got my eye on the 39643 as I've neglected steam engines.
Offline laalves  
#26 Posted : 11 February 2011 19:38:08(UTC)
laalves

Just my 2 cents. Let's compare apples with apples, all prices RRP (I doubt percent discounts this year will vary much between brands):

Roco BR 50.40, AC with sound, 399€. Märklin BR 50.40 Insider, AC with sound mfx, 429€

Roco: plastic body, metal frame, can motor in the tender, speaker in the boiler, Loksound. Märklin: metal body, metal frame, Maxon motor in the boiler, speaker in the tender.

Since Brawa and Märklin and Brawa don't overlap models, I'll compare the BR 19.1 with the BR 01 (they did the same job in real life)

Brawa BR 19.1, AC with sound, 599€. Märklin BR 01, AC with sound mfx, 419,95€

Brawa: metal body, metal frame, can motor in the boiler, speaker in the tender, Loksound. Märklin: metal body, metal frame, SDS motor in the boiler, speaker in the tender.

Roco 110.3, AC no sound, 214€, Märklin 110.3, AC mfx with sound (not "full" sound) 269,95€

Roco: plastic body, metal frame, can motor, Lokpilot. Märklin: metal body, metal frame, mfx, can (unknown type) or SDS motor

Roco ET91, AC no sound, 214€. Märklin ET91, AC mfx with sound (not "full" sound),299,95€

Roco: all plastic, can motor,Lokpilot. Märklin: all plastic, can motor (I feel that here, M version is way overpriced)

If we go Fleischmann, prices are usually higher than Roco's and similar or more expensive than Märklin's in the same or comparable models.

BTW, I will also not buy motor-downgraded models at the same price as before, but will not go Roco to compensate. I'll go for the older versions.

As for the change from SDS to bell-shaped-armature motors, i.e., Maxon, Faulhaber, Portescap, I'm all for it.

So, take your pick, but I do believe that Märklin has still, generally a better price/quality ratio than the competitors, in most cases, the ET91 being a notable exception.
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 11 February 2011 19:53:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: laalves Go to Quoted Post
Roco (E)110.3, AC with sound, 419€, Märklin (E)110.3, AC mfx with sound (not "full" sound) 269,95€
Roco: plastic body, metal frame, can motor, Lokpilot. Märklin: metal body, metal frame, mfx, can (unknown type) or SDS motor

Not to forget: Roco has digitally controlled pantographs. Older Rocos without that gadget were a lot cheaper.

Roco steamers normally have the speakers in the boiler, not in the cab (like Fleischmann's).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline laalves  
#28 Posted : 11 February 2011 19:57:35(UTC)
laalves

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: laalves Go to Quoted Post
Roco (E)110.3, AC with sound, 419€, Märklin (E)110.3, AC mfx with sound (not "full" sound) 269,95€

Not to forget: Roco has digitally controlled pantographs. Older Rocos without that gadget were a lot cheaper.

Roco steamers normally have the speakers in the boiler, not in the cab (like Fleischmann's).

Corrected! Thanks.
Offline stenscience  
#29 Posted : 11 February 2011 20:58:55(UTC)
stenscience

As mentioned in another thread, and in this one, the price structure that seems to be in place has resulted in much higher "discount" prices for new models. My dealer in the US usually offers much higher discounts than the 10% that M 'requires'.Now, the new items preorder price is 10% discount, and still not announced are the actual production/release dates. For me,this is a deal-killer.Items that I ordered in 2009 took, on average, more than a year to arrive, and a couple were cancelled.So, in 2010, I did not order any new items, as I was still waiting for the 2009 models.When the 2011 new models were announced, I planned to order both DSB Nohabs. When I saw the prices, and the TBA release notice (apparently they don't know when they will produce them), I had second thoughts.I have several new-in-box DSB analog locos.For less than half the price of the new issue, I can send these to my dealer for digital conversion and have them back in a couple of weeks.
Good for me and my dealer(he makes all the profit on conversions), not so good for M's bottom line.I don't intend to buy any new items this year.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#30 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:01:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
As I previously said, I will be still buying Marklin. It's just with all the price rises and limiting of discounts, it won't be as much Marklin as before. The budget only goes so far.
Offline alonso231gery  
#31 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:02:18(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
There was a 10% price increase since last year and the discount is also 10%.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline David Dewar  
#32 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:21:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

dave

Sorry to see you losing interest in Marklin, Dave.

I've been looking at the prices and they don't actually look too bad when you deduct VAT and convert to pounds. I certainly don't see a huge increase over last year's prices. Maybe the Pound has recovered slightly against the Euro?

By the way "price fixing" is when manufacturers get together to decide not to undecut each other. That is certainly illegal. What Marklin are requesting is that the dealers comply with the conditions of their dealerships, which is perfectly legal.

Nevertheless, if you feel you are being hard done by you are entitled to take your custom elsewhere. Of the alternatives, I find Brawa too expensive, and Roco very similar in price to Marklin. Piko is cheaper in their Hobby range, but you get what you pay for.

Hi Ray. Still interested in three rail as much as ever but will now spread my buying around.. I like Brawa as they are better detailed and do run very well and although more expensive they ( in my view only of course)give better value for my cash.
I can buy Brawa cheaper elsewhere than Lokshop and as a firm Brawa are good with their customers. I get their new items leaflet posted to me free each year and any email is replied to within 48 hours and give a full answer to any question I may have. Take your point though that Marklin is still cheaper.

dave
Offline mjrallare  
#33 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:36:49(UTC)
mjrallare

For me it isn't interesting to compare prices. Maybe Märklin has a better price/quality ratio than others. I really wouldn't know. I only buy Märklin, always has and always will.

After the price-increase it will be easier for me to resist the temptation to buy that era IV modell that I'm only moderately interested in. So I will buy less. Others with a fixed budget will only be able to buy four locos instead of the five they had planned to buy. So they will buy less. Sure, some will be willing, and able, to spend more on Märklin in order to get what they want (and spend less on something else). And many new interesting items might also make people more willing to spend money this year. But over a period of time, price-increases that are higher than the increase in peoples wages will always hurt sales.

It's good if Märklin has a better price/quality ratio than others, because then people will only buy less. They won't also change to other brands. But if Märklin doesn't change their margin (and it doesn't seem to be that way) then they will lose sales and profit. For the shops it could be different, if they are able to compensate their loss in sales with a higher margin.
In the end however, I think a shrinking MOBA-business is bad for everyone.

Someone at Märklin clearly has decided that the shops, as they traditionally are thought of, are the key to the future. That person is probably over 50 and very nostalgic...

/Torbjörn
Offline Loadmaster  
#34 Posted : 12 February 2011 02:36:10(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
May I ask a question?

I have looked at BEMO as they offer some HO items in AC and DC.
Specifically I have been considering BEMO 1593411 SBB Ed 2x2/2 Mallet steam locomotive - Metal Collection AC Digital.
It costs $873.55 USD from a retailer in New York City.
Are there any EU dealers that offer this with a discount?
Are there any members that run BEMO engines?
I'm interested in your experience with this brand.Confused

Thanks for your feedback.

Robert
Confused
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline nevw  
#35 Posted : 12 February 2011 02:50:43(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
ETS has it on Special, 571 Euro no VAT ABOUT 800 USD
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Darren W  
#36 Posted : 12 February 2011 17:14:38(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Is Marklin's pricing policy any different than Apple? I don't know the specifics of Apple's policy but here in Canada if you want an iPod Touch 8G it is $249 no matter where you go. They never go on sale for more than $10 off. Even big discount and all powerful Walmart only drops it to $248. It seems that Apple has set the price for this item and retailers are not allowed to deviate from it. I have heard that Apple will punish a retailer that does not follow the Apple pricing plan. Just don't get me started about the iPhone and Canadian cellular providers.Crying

Is Marklin trying to help some of the smaller dealers by not allowing bigger suppliers like Lokshop to do deep discounts? In this new world of internet selling there are new challenges for the brick and mortar dealer shops.

Just my 2 cents...

Darren
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#37 Posted : 12 February 2011 20:15:34(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Guys,

I think you are mixing up the fact that Marklin's policy is an ADVERTISED price and not actual selling prices. A dealer can sell an item for whatever price they feel like, they just cannot advertise selling it for less.

I work for what could be considered a similar company to Marklin in product and brand positioning; but in a very different industry. We have it clearly stated in our dealer contracts that dealers cannot advertise a current model line product for anything less than full MSRP. We take this seriously, and in our case it can be reinforced by loss of a dealer's quartely or yearly retail incentive bonus. There are several reasons for this policy including keeping premium brand status, but also to support smaller dealers in the same area as a big shop that can afford to blow things out. (or a not-so-smart-shop that will blow things out just to get the sale- regardless of profitability)In the end, we don't really mind what dealers sell things for confidentially- its what is advertised to the public that causes trouble.

In the end, this is where dealer loyalty should pay off for us. I've been ordering most my new items from the same US dealer the past few years, and I suspect he will take care of me on pricing.

As for Lokshop etc.. - this brings up an interesting situation: will they sell to good customers for less, or will they stick by the new "manufacturer" price structure. As of today, if I were them I'd likely stick to the new structure for all but my very highest volume customers. I'm sure they only got into the discount game to compete with other mail order houses in the first place. Now that the "public" competition is gone, why not be more profitable...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline David Dewar  
#38 Posted : 12 February 2011 20:28:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Fixing prices has been tried here in the UK but never successful Even a big oil company tried to get their petrol stations to sell at the same price but the Government clamped down immediately. Imagine if Shell Oil said to its garages if you dont sell at a set price you will get late deliveries of petrol.
Same goes for other smaller supliers who have tried but it is illegal and just cant be done. Some retailers have also tried to fix prices but they also failed.
What we are up against is a toy and nobody really cares what price the toys are sold at and in any event it is a product that is not necessary for anybody to buy (except us daft folk here of course).
Anybody working for me who came up with this idea would be out the door pretty quick. Telling your retailers what price you can sell at and saying you will get late deliveries if you dont has to come from somebody who is completely stupid. I presume Marklin now have a department that will hold goods back for several weeks from dealers they dont like and of course from the end customer ...you and me.
I appreciate that smaller shops may not be able to compete with Lokshop or other big dealers but it is the Lokshops of this world that make Marklin their money.
If I were Marklin I would ensure that all sellers must have a shop open to the public at least 6 days per week. This would cut out the spare bedroom ebay sellers and give those who invest in the business a better return.
If I manufacture then the cheaper my goods are sold to the public the more I will sell. We will see at the end of the next financial year just how much lower Marklins sales are and from comments above members here will not spend as much this year.

dave

Offline TimR  
#39 Posted : 12 February 2011 22:40:06(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Guys,

I think you are mixing up the fact that Marklin's policy is an ADVERTISED price and not actual selling prices. A dealer can sell an item for whatever price they feel like, they just cannot advertise selling it for less.

Comparing prices and choosing where to get the best deal is actually one of the things that I enjoy from the hobby.
Communist style pricing policy where everywhere the prices LOOKS THE SAME takes this away.

Then having to e-mail sellers about how much discount they can give, well, it is of great inconvenience for buyers.
Essentially, this goes against the principle of Internet shopping.

The other thing is, it then creates "us" and "them" group, with preferential discount given to regular, loyal customers.
Regular customers could get bigger discount, so there is less incentive for other Marklin buyers to switch dealers - as they're not regulars for that dealer.
Where will this put new customers - that supposedly, Marklin will try to attract?

Frankly, I don't really care about how the reasoning/justification for Marklin policy.
The end result for customers is crap... and that's all there is to it.

Personally, I think Marklin need to learn a tough lesson,
Marklin/Trix customers can survive without Marklin, not only we can turn to other brands, we can also turn to second hand market.
(for me there is a catalog of more than 100 locomotives that I'm after in the second hand market, so I'll happily divert my budget there)
But Marklin can't survive without customers.

The other lesson that I take here is to learn to diversify my supplier,
even if I am a 3-railer, I should try to wean off having to rely too much on Marklin,
so that I won't be at a mercy of their erratic policy and strategies...
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#40 Posted : 12 February 2011 22:51:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yep, you're right Tim. If you are 'in the know' with a particular dealer, you may well get a better discount. But for the average customer, they aren't going to know that, there will be not much 'point of difference' between any of the dealers.
Offline Hemmerich  
#41 Posted : 12 February 2011 23:03:02(UTC)
Hemmerich

Originally Posted by: stenscience Go to Quoted Post
When the 2011 new models were announced, I planned to order both DSB Nohabs. When I saw the prices, and the TBA release notice (apparently they don't know when they will produce them).

Given the current delivery plan for 2011 news items Märklin apparently seems to know very well when to produce those two models. BigGrin
Offline Webmaster  
#42 Posted : 12 February 2011 23:08:41(UTC)
Webmaster

If produced in Europe, the delivery dates may be somewhat accurate - But if waiting for a "slow boat from China", you can never tell...

Well known empirical statistic fact for seasoned customers in the last few years...BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline nevw  
#43 Posted : 13 February 2011 00:54:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
One Dealer has already sent an email stating M policy and what will happen if they Advertise low prices.
He stated that new or occasional customers will get either No or at a max 10% discount. old regular customers will continue to get 25% discount.
I would imagine that scenerio is being played out at many dealers.
nn
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nevw  
#44 Posted : 13 February 2011 00:56:05(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stenscience Go to Quoted Post
When the 2011 new models were announced, I planned to order both DSB Nohabs. When I saw the prices, and the TBA release notice (apparently they don't know when they will produce them).

Given the current delivery plan for 2011 news items Märklin apparently seems to know very well when to produce those two models. BigGrin

When will that be Lutz.?? got a date? {no grin]
Offline RayF  
#45 Posted : 13 February 2011 10:04:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
According to the delivery list published in Marklin NL website, those Nohabs are due for delivery in Q2.

http://www.marklin.nl/pr...ijdenMarklinNouv2011.pdf
Ray
Offline nevw  
#46 Posted : 13 February 2011 10:17:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks Ray.
Nev
Offline steventrain  
#47 Posted : 13 February 2011 10:29:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
According to the delivery list published in Marklin NL website, those Nohabs are due for delivery in Q2.

http://www.marklin.nl/pr...ijdenMarklinNouv2011.pdf

The list was not update, Not on Marklin website (German).
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#48 Posted : 13 February 2011 10:53:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post

Well, the only schedule we have had for the delivery of the 2011 New Items is the one on the Marklin NL site. If you take the time to read it you will note that the 30050 Br23 was scheduled for delivery in January. It is now mid February and we don't have it yet, so I would suggest that Märklin apparently seems to not have a clue when to produce those two or any other models. Flapper Flapper Flapper

And if you have any other information contrary to the Marklin NL list, please be so kind as to share it with your fellow forum members.

Edited by user 13 February 2011 21:14:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline vilithejou  
#49 Posted : 13 February 2011 11:22:56(UTC)
vilithejou

If you would to have a good prices of news you can get it on Spain. They do shipment around the world.

Gotthardtrens

I order 31806 for more more more more a less than 1400€
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
Offline steventrain  
#50 Posted : 13 February 2011 11:25:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 2011 new item delivery list not on Marklin German website but only 2010 new item list date back to 2011.

http://www.maerklin.de/d...iefertermine_preise.html