Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mjrallare  
#101 Posted : 24 February 2011 19:34:15(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Shops like Kramm ,Lokshop and Michael Weiss etc have been around for many years and can service both callers and those who shop on the net. These businesess do well and also give work to others and should get support from Marklin whereas Fred in his spare bedroom in my view is not what is required in any business.
...dave

I agree David. But the shops you mention above are the "Freds in the spare bedroom" according to those who wanted Märklin to react. The once who have forced Märklin to impose these "rules" are those shops that you and I never have heard of. Those with none or very limited presence on the internet.

I'm afraid that Märklin looks upon the dealers as their customers and us consumers as the customers of the dealers. They meet the dealers at "Messens", at MHI- and Idee+Spiel gatherings and they have frequent contact with them over phone. This obscures the fact that we are Märklins customers and that the dealers are only one way of supplying us with Märklin-products.

Physical shops will always be needed, but if Märklin is to survive in the long run they must find the most cost-effective mix of getting their stuff to us, the consumers. By trying to fix prices they are stopping the process of finding this "optimal mix". In the short run it might be good for some physical shops. For us and Märklin it's just bad.

/Torbjörn
Offline TimR  
#102 Posted : 24 February 2011 21:42:44(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Just examined Lokshop's prices again:
some items had jump up by almost 20% over the previously released model - the effect of halving the discount plus annual Marklin price increase.

Since any business sense in trying to justify this is out of question,
my theory is that Marklin is doing a social experiment on "where is your breaking point in terms of prices?"

If it's not there yet, we got more for 2012.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#103 Posted : 25 February 2011 00:25:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
I'm afraid that Märklin looks upon the dealers as their customers and us consumers as the customers of the dealers. They meet the dealers at "Messens", at MHI- and Idee+Spiel gatherings and they have frequent contact with them over phone. This obscures the fact that we are Märklins customers and that the dealers are only one way of supplying us with Märklin-products.

Physical shops will always be needed, but if Märklin is to survive in the long run they must find the most cost-effective mix of getting their stuff to us, the consumers. By trying to fix prices they are stopping the process of finding this "optimal mix". In the short run it might be good for some physical shops. For us and Märklin it's just bad.

/Torbjörn

However, if Marklin has in mind to increase the $value of sales, they might do it by producing a consumer range, and selling through shops that don't normally carry that stuff.
And they appear to have done that with the 'My World' range that might attract the buyers at the big toy chains, not just hobby shops. All the chains care about is, 'does it sell?'. They don't want to know anything about model trains, which is why they are terrible at selling what we call the 'enthusiast' product. Hopefully Marklin can use their considerable resources to get sales from toy chains, department stores, variety chains (Aldi?).

I know nothing about the European retail scene, so all that may seem rather academic.
I know that in Australia, the only train set you'll buy in a department store, is a Lego or a Brio, or a Thomas. Maybe that battery powered ICE is aimed at that type of buyer, and seems cheap enough.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#104 Posted : 15 May 2011 09:49:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
26833 have now 20% less that RRP.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.