Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2011 09:56:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
http://www.modellbahn-west.de/Garantie.html

(Google translate)

Information on warranty.

The rules applicable in each country warranty policy against the seller offers the Märklin has a 24 month manufacturer's warranty, the customer in that period, the option has the appearance of defects and to contact the manufacturer directly. This happens according to certain conditions which are provided in the warranty documents. Below we have summarized the main points of it:
The warranty is valid only if the product was purchased from an official Marklin, Trix and LGB-dealer, as you are. If you buy at any other retailers (for example the Internet or on exchanges) shall not apply to our manufacturer's warranty. As proof, we only accept proof of purchase, the complaint together with the goods must be sent. For this proof of purchase, the complete address of the seller, the item number, quantity of product purchased and the total price will be shown. Complaints. which are sent without proof of purchase can not be approved for the protection of our qualified trading partners, even if the products contain less than 24 months on the market. It is recommended that the buyers must keep the relevant purchase receipt, as it can make the only way of asserting itself.

The warranty covers only claims that go back to manufacturing, design or material defects. Incomplete products, shipping damage between merchant and customer, or damaged packages include, for example, do not and therefore can be claimed only against the seller.

The Herslellergarantie is an additional service from Märklin. The relevant country-specific statutory warranty policies are thus not of course limited.
The purchase by non-official dealers on the Internet or on exchanges thus holds always the risk that a buyer will sit with complaints on the repair costs. The purchase is the official dealer for him not only a guarantee, a very good advice and service received, but also reduces the risk to remain seated during any subsequent complaints to the costs incurred.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TimR  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2011 10:10:20(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
It's just another attempt at "controlling" the behaviour of customers...

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2011 17:00:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Actually that's a pretty standard warranty.

If you buy a phone or camera or other similar item on ebay without an official dealer's stamp the manufacturers warranty usually won't cover you.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mjrallare  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2011 18:11:51(UTC)
mjrallare

As Ray says it's pretty standard. The only problem is that it's to short...

/Torbjörn
Offline gachar001  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2011 18:32:27(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Question is, what do they mean by 'buying over the internet'. Does it mean that if I buy from Lokshop and have it shipped to the US, my warranty will not be honoured?
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2011 18:51:15(UTC)
Webmaster

As I read it, Ebay dealers, not official M shops as LokShop.

If you buy from LokShop, you should contact them first for warranty issues as with any local dealer you buy stuff from...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Online mike c  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2011 20:35:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would assume that this refers to product being sold by non-authorized dealers only. I would think that items sold on eBay by authorized dealers would have the same warranty as an item physically bought in that shop.

In my experience, I have noted that maybe 5% of the items that I have purchased in the last 20 years have had the dealer stamp, date of sale and other pertinent information applied to the warranty card included with the item. This applies to items bought in shops, by mail order and on eBay. If Maerklin wants to crack down on this, they should stamp the warranty cards when the items are sent to the "official" dealer and oblige the dealers to complete the rest of the information on that card.

I do not have a problem with Maerklin enforcing this. I do wonder what will happen for example, if an item is sold on eBay and the seller includes the original invoice (from wherever he purchased it). Could the buyer then request service presenting the original invoice? (eg, I sell a lok on eBay and include the invoice from the dealer where I got it. Can the new owner get service with that invoice?)

Quote:
The warranty covers only claims that go back to manufacturing, design or material defects. Incomplete products, shipping damage between merchant and customer, or damaged packages include, for example, do not and therefore can be claimed only against the seller.

As many of you know, I have had a number of problems with damage during shipping. If that damage was the result of improper handling or improper packaging, I can understand the matter being between seller and buyer and the shipping company. If the problem is due to defective or deficient packaging design, I would think that there would be a precedent for holding the company responsible. I can think of at least one incident where a product was damaged due to a lack of proper material in the item box. The carton, plastic inserts and/or styrofoam should be designed in such a way that the item cannot be damaged by impacting against, crashing through or otherwise not remaining properly cradled in it's packaging during normal transport conditions.

As far as incomplete products. If an item was delivered with missing items or parts, I would think that Maerklin would be equally as responsible if the missing items/parts could be proven to have been missing at delivery from the factory.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:07:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
What about genuine Marklin dealers who also sell on eBay? - Matthias at Station500 comes to mind.
Offline gachar001  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:14:22(UTC)
gachar001

India   
It sucks that M* is putting in policies that are unfriendly to their customers and would potentially piss off many of them. As far as this policy is concerned, does it make a product any less reliable that it was sold by an unauthorized dealer or if a person re sells it while the warranty was still valid? Can BMW go around saying that it will not honor warranties on vehicles that were sold by individuals or by small used car dealers? How long will BMW last in the market place?
Similar to this policy is the 10% discound policy that has its own thread. Is M* trying to commit suicide? Have they not learnt a thing from being in bankrupcy for so long?

Now is a good time to sit back and think if it is a good time to sell off all my M* stuff on ebay and switch to 2 rail. Atleast we wont be held to ransom by one company.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:23:34(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
What about genuine Marklin dealers who also sell on eBay? - Matthias at Station500 comes to mind.

Make sure you get an "official" receipt with the genuine shop sign, I assume the "restriction" applies for those who sell on Internet auctions only. I can also imagine that warranty does not apply to items from split starter sets and such unless you have a receipt for the whole set...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline pab  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:54:06(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I'm not so sure M can do so in the EU.
2 years is pretty standard. Even without an official receipt, but you can prove that the product isn't older than 2 years, the warranty holds.
That's what I understand of the warranty laws in the Netherlands. But maybe I'm wrong.
Offline gachar001  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:54:08(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I can also imagine that warranty does not apply to items from split starter sets and such unless you have a receipt for the whole set...

Good point webmaster.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2011 21:56:42(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
In any case, this will prove largely ineffective to curb eBay sales (which is clearly what they targeted here).

Quite a few of the more reputable Ebay dealers offer two year (store) warranty.
I would presume that for the smaller claims, they can probably do the fixes themselves It's not that hard to do, even at home! and I know many offical dealers do this also.

For claims on faulty expensive components (eg: a Loksound); many of them will be able to channel back to Marklin using "officially sanctioned" channels and documentation.

I don't think Marklin customer services will be particularly be able to discern them and tell which ones are sold on eBay and which ones are not.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2011 22:00:08(UTC)
H0

Some official M* dealers co-operate with other dealers that are not listed at Märklin and will sell items with bigger rebates (eBay and other platforms).

If you buy from a professional German dealer, that dealer must provide two years of warranty for new items (this is a legal requirement).
If you buy from offical Märklin dealers, you can also make use of Märklin's two year warranty (this is no legal requirement, so M* can make obscure warranty rules as they like).

Good to have Märklin's warranty as a backup, though.

Many professional eBay dealers are official Märklin resellers and their invoices will be accepted by Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2011 22:41:39(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: gachar001 Go to Quoted Post

Now is a good time to sit back and think if it is a good time to sell off all my M* stuff on ebay and switch to 2 rail. At least we wont be held to ransom by one company.

It may not be practical to start over from scratch, depending on the level of investment you made into the 3-rail system.

Alternatively, you can keep your 3-rail without being too dependant on Marklin, except for track supplies. But even that, as we know, there are some scratch-built alternatives.

Personally, I have decided to diversify my supplier base over EVERY components of my MRR system.

My aim is to reduce, as much as possible, annual spend from the M* brand. Ideally, in the future, probably only 10 - 20% of my annual spends will go to new Marklin. Roco, Fleischmann, ESU, Viessman and others can have the rest.

Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2011 23:21:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I tend to agree with Marklin here. I do not like ebay sellers in particular those who are not financially sound enough to take credit cards or have a shop open to the public. If Marklin can close them down then I am happy with that. I dont know where ebay sellers get their suplies but Marklin should be looking at that.
Ebay is fine for second hand if you wish to take the risk but a policy from Marklin of having dealers with a shop does seem good.
However I disagree strongly with Marklin fixing prices and holding back stocks (how daft is that) and I have not heard of any other firm anywhere coming up with this type of policy.
For me one good idea and one hopeless.

dave PS Brawa are now giving a three year warranty if bought through their dealers.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline arconell  
#17 Posted : 15 February 2011 00:13:06(UTC)
arconell

Hi everybody,

Quote:
"The EU rule allowing the return of goods up to two years after purchase is at odds with the returns policies adopted by most major shops.

However, as this is a directive is only partially adopted by the UK, its use is a grey area.

Despite this, many shops have willingly refunded items when presented with the directive and its argument, so it could potentially improve your position."

This text is found here: click here

Whether or not the UK or any other EU country has implemented the underlying CE Directive (1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999) and transposed it correctly into national legislation is in fact immaterial as far as consumers´rights are concerned since CE law takes precedence over national law. The difference is that the consumer may need a top notch sollicitor to represent him or her in case his national law lags behind...

In fact the EU Commission is putting increasing pressure on national legislators to get their act together, publishing progress reports on national implementation in the EU member states.

So, whatever Märklin writes in their certificates about exlcuding any warranty for products sold by others then "official M dealers" is only for consumption by customers outside the EU, and only when these customers bought the products from a seller also outside the EU.
Within the EU these clauses aren´t worth the paper they are printed on. And in most EU countries this Directive has been fully implemented by now and it still surprises me that so few people, consumers and merchants alike, aren´t aware of it...

Best regards, Robert

Online mike c  
#18 Posted : 15 February 2011 00:15:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I tend to agree with Marklin here. I do not like ebay sellers in particular those who are not financially sound enough to take credit cards or have a shop open to the public. If Marklin can close them down then I am happy with that. I dont know where ebay sellers get their suplies but Marklin should be looking at that.
Ebay is fine for second hand if you wish to take the risk but a policy from Marklin of having dealers with a shop does seem good.
However I disagree strongly with Marklin fixing prices and holding back stocks (how daft is that) and I have not heard of any other firm anywhere coming up with this type of policy.
For me one good idea and one hopeless.

dave PS Brawa are now giving a three year warranty if bought through their dealers.

David,

I don't know where the financial soundness or whether they accept credit cards or have a shop has anything to do with it. These days, many people in the hobby business no longer generate a sufficient revenue from hobby sales to operate a dedicated business. This means that people look for ways to cut costs. One of these measures is to run an internet only business. No shop and related expenses, leaving a business which can be operated out of home or from a small office. Credit card companies and other agencies (PayPal) charge companies a percentage of each sale as handling charge, in addition to annual merchant fees. Some smaller businesses do not accept credit cards due to the fact that 4% paid to the credit card company can eat up a significant part of the profit if they are selling at 10-15% markup over their cost.

I realize that these new generation dealers without shops can sell for less than established shops and that this forces the shops to sell for less, resulting in less profit for those dealers with storefronts. In the USA, many dealers today do not stock very much Maerklin, but can order items from the Walther's catalog. In Europe, I think that we will see many smaller dealers disappear, as the owners get older and not as many new dealers are being set up. This will result in concentration by regional superdealers, much in the way that ETS now has multiple shops in the Stuttgart area. They have a network where each of their shops can be supplied by the mother store. I expect to see more of this type of setup in other regions. Eurotrain and Idee Und Spiel were similar attempts to set up dealer networks in Germany, with varying levels of success. Switzerland has a similar decline in the number of shops, but other than one shop in the French part of the country, I have not seen any major regrouping of shops under one name.

In other countries, the situation may be different. In North America, there are a handful of shops who stock a large selection. The rest depend on Walthers and maintain little inventory. I can't speak for the UK or other areas of the world.

Regarding online sales, one concern that I have with Maerklin items from non-authorized dealers on eBay is that you cannot be sure of the provenance. You cannot tell whether this is an employee of a shop or a third party who is selling items that have "fallen off the truck". These items may be obtained illegally via break-ins at hobby shops, distributors, etc. I don't think that there is a great deal of Maerklin counterfeiting, but Maerklin did stop selling replacement boxes because people used these to resell items from Start Sets or repackage items as in taking a Trix 22744 Re 4/4II TEE shell, a Maerklin 29859 Re 4/4II 11376, swapping shells and then selling in a replacement 37343 box as a "brand new" item. The 37343 was a one-time production and the value of the real models may be affected by the quantity of "fake" ones sold as "new". One way to tell whether it is a real 37343 or not is whether it has red lights or high beams. The 37343 was the only Re 4/4II to have a red rear light option.

That being said, eBay sellers do not often mention the provenance of their goods. Checking to see if the seller is listed as an authorized dealer is a good way to determine if everything is on the up and up. Asking the seller to send an official invoice is another recommended idea. I would also ask the seller if the goods are from a third party, that he provide the original invoice as well. If they can't provide an invoice, then maybe it is a good idea to avoid the transaction.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2011 00:29:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post
So, whatever Märklin writes in their certificates about exlcuding any warranty for products sold by others then "official M dealers" is only for consumption by customers outside the EU, and only when these customers bought the products from a seller also outside the EU.

No. Customers normally buy from a dealer, not from Märklin. So they have a contract with the dealer, not with Märklin.
Märklin's warranty is voluntary and they can write in their certificates what they want - and it applies to all customers that do not buy from Märklin directly.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline arconell  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2011 00:44:01(UTC)
arconell

Hi Tom,

Jain, yes and no. For anybody buying from a reseller, M might as well not bother at all with any sort of certificate. For consumers (as end users) buying directly from M it doesn´t add anything to their legal rights.
You´re right that the reseller is the one responsible towards the consumer, no matter what M writes. And no matter if the seller is an official M dealer or not. But most importantly, if the reseller disappears or goes bankrupt, a consumer can always force the manufacturer or his legal representative in his country to honor any valid claim. Read the text of the directive.

Ps: even M runs a webshop!
Ps2: here is the text I was referring to:
Where the final seller is liable to the consumer because of a lack of conformity resulting from an act or omission by the producer, a previous seller in the same chain of contracts or any other intermediary, the final seller shall be entitled to pursue remedies against the person or persons liable in the contractual chain. the person or persons liable against whom the final seller may pursue remedies, together with the relevant actions and conditions of exercise, shall be determined by national law.

I.e national law only governs the modus operandi here, not the legal rights as such of the final seller or the consumer.

Regards, Robert
Offline steventrain  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2011 09:38:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Lokshop said delivery to UK customer have still warranty.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2011 11:02:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Views messages in topic : 6,673
Hi,
My experience with Märklin service and warranty has been very good to date.

I normally buy Märklin items from an Australian dealer, and they have handled the rare return very efficiently and promptly.

However, I have on occasion the need to buy from Europe or USA (eBay or some other means), when the locomotive I want is not available from the dealer.
In this case I am realistic enough to take my chances, and fess up that the item is NOT under warranty.
If Märklin service decide to give me the benefit of repairing under warranty, of course I don't complain. This has happened, believe it or not!!

For example, I recently returned a non-working loco (it is 5 years old) to Goppingen, saying that it was NOT under warranty. Anyway, I got the invoice today, and they only charge 50Euro for repair, which I think is VERY reasonable, considering the item is worth 6 times that.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 15 February 2011 14:20:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Mike : While I take your point about the high cost of owning a shop and taking credit cards this gives the customer the ability to look at Marklin stock when calling at the dealer and the knowledge that the dealer has sufficient capital in the business to cover his costs etc (does not mean that they dont go bust from time to time but the card firm will cover your costs) Paypal was set up for those who need some form of payment facility but run a part time business usually from their home. Most use these sellers to save cash but it is also the biggest cause for complaints re non delivery and lack of comunication etc. This gives Marklin a bad name and they appear to be taking steps to ensure that properly established busineses with premises and staff sell their models.
Regarding warranty in the UK we are covered by the sale of goods act but as nobody muchh buys Marklin here we rely on a good dealer to sort any problems and in the past twenty years or more I have never had a problem but I only deal with a good dealer.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline arconell  
#24 Posted : 15 February 2011 16:00:41(UTC)
arconell

Hi all,

This whole issue of warranty and so-called manufacturers' warranty versus the contractual warranty between buyer and seller is rather complex.
In all EU countries consumers' rights when buying a new product from a professional seller, be it a regular shop, or through the internet, professional Ebay sellers, other internet shops, are laid down in the EU directive 1999/44/EC.
It gives the EU consumer a 2 years warranty from date of sale. See the complete text here: EU 199/44/EC

In Märklins' most recent version of the warranty certificate they make a difference between a product sold by an official Märklin dealer and a product sold by another seller.
The crux here is that by de-facto setting up a restricted distribution system within the EU, Märklin is in violation of the EU Treaty:

Quote:
Article 81 (1) of the European Treaty prohibits as incompatible with the common market all agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings, and concerted practices which may affect trade between Member States and which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition within the common market.

This article has been used on a number of occasions:
Quote:
As the Court of Justice of the European Communities held in the AEG-Telefunken case: 'Agreements that create a selective distribution system necessarily affect competition within the common market

As a result AEG-Telefunken paid a hefty fine…

Meanwhile since 1999, EC commission Regulation 279/0/1999 is in force. This is a block exemption on vertical distribution chains (manufacturer-distributor/importer/official dealer chains) and gives precise conditions under which such vertical distribution chains are allowed. Specific restrictions on price fixing and on the servicing of goods including availability restrictions on spare parts needed for repair purposes and sold outside the chain are explicitly not allowed. Generally speaking such chains are only allowed for categories of products where expert advice, end-user training and special know-how is required in order for the end user to take full benefit of the products. Since all of M's products fall within the scope of the EU Toys Directive this is clearly not the case here...

Instead the present Märklin warranty certificate clearly reflects an attempt to steer customers away from non-Märklin approved sales channels. That in itself is illegal within any EU country.

As for warranty itself, I have to admit that in my 17-odd years of buying Märklin products I have had 2 warranty claims which were dealt with promptly and to my full satisfaction. Both claims were on products bought from a store presenting themselves as a Märklin dealer. In one case I had bought a Märklin product through an Ebay merchant and when it arrived it was just not quite what I had expected, it was perfectly OK but just not to my liking. I returned it and my money was refunded within 3 days. So personally I don't have any problems with Märklin, their products, service or warranty.

Also any manufacturer has a right to fight 'counterfeit' sales or the sales of stolen goods and it is of course true that it is impossible to judge from a webpage whether one is looking at such an item. But that doesn't mean one is allowed to fight illegal practices with illegal practices. Oh well, such is life!

Best regards, Robert
Offline gachar001  
#25 Posted : 15 February 2011 18:47:04(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gachar001 Go to Quoted Post

Now is a good time to sit back and think if it is a good time to sell off all my M* stuff on ebay and switch to 2 rail. At least we wont be held to ransom by one company.

It may not be practical to start over from scratch, depending on the level of investment you made into the 3-rail system.

Alternatively, you can keep your 3-rail without being too dependant on Marklin, except for track supplies. But even that, as we know, there are some scratch-built alternatives.

Personally, I have decided to diversify my supplier base over EVERY components of my MRR system.

My aim is to reduce, as much as possible, annual spend from the M* brand. Ideally, in the future, probably only 10 - 20% of my annual spends will go to new Marklin. Roco, Fleischmann, ESU, Viessman and others can have the rest.

Tim,
True, it will be a financial hit if I get rid of all that I have. Plus there are many items that I really like and would hate to get rid of. I probably will need to wait and watch. Because 3 things can happen
1. Marklin may realize that these policies are just affecting sales and nothing else
2. Marklin becomes more aggressive and continues with customer unfriendly policies but continue to survive as a company
3. These policies will tip the already precarious finances and the company goes under.

Hope it is point #1 because I like M* products. I don't like M* the company.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline steventrain  
#26 Posted : 16 February 2011 17:50:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
See marklin website. (Google translate).

http://translate.google....nfos%2Fgarantieinfo.html