Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2006 15:20:50(UTC)
Goofy

I have just heard that Marklin shall upgrade CS...!?

I have start Marklin again,but did not bought CS yet.

Shall i wait to bying CS...? confused

Goofy Cool
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Maxi  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2006 16:11:50(UTC)
Maxi

Could you please be a little more specific about what you mean when you say upgrade?

If the upgrade is programming (or more known as firmware) then a CS can be purchased any time, if the upgrade is a actual change in the CS its self then one would want to wait for futher details.

This news of upgrade is new to me at this time.

Maxi
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2006 16:18:32(UTC)
Goofy

Marklin did hade corperation together with another company by created CS,but did now break up this company and started with another company instead...!?
I did read this information at a swedish discussion forum!

Goofy
H0
Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2006 16:58:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Goofy: Yes Systems, including the CS, was developed in conjunction with ESU. For some reason that relationship has been terminated. The information I have is that M will continue alone and that the present CS will continue in basically it's present form.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2006 20:29:53(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Rumour says that they have found another partner. Seems likely to me.

I don't know of any uprade either, if you don't mean the software upgrade. I'm sure there will be such upgrades available, if I understand correctly, at your dealer. The average Märklin-user is not supposed to do such things himself (opposed to Uhlenbrock and I guess, ESU users). But things could change of course.

But /systems is not finished, Märklin has not fulfilled what they promised. So in my thinking they have to do something. Is that what you call an upgrade?

Regards,
Lars
Offline Davy  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2006 21:03:06(UTC)
Davy

From a German forum. Somebody had talk there with a employer from Marklin.

Marklin let another software firm make a new software version for the CS. But this will take time. Marklin wants a perfect product which the old software firm could not do our could not made.

Rumors are the old firm is the same firm which made the software for the IB. A Italian firm
M-track with a CS2.
Offline Vardex  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2006 21:23:02(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
The IB was developed in cooperation with modeltreno. New partner from M seems to be doehler+haass.
It seems CS v2 is coming,and v1 will get an update within the next couple of years,but that's all for v1.
I would suggest to wait at least until you are sure that there are boosters etc, and a program for a PC interface.

Bart

Offline VT95  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2006 23:30:52(UTC)
VT95

I think there is something better as the Central station, the ESU ECoS. It is everything the CS was promised to be at the same price but with a 90VA transfo included. It can do everything the CS does but you also have a memory, a connection for S88 decoders and a port for connection to a PC. It also has two joystick build in so you can control a crane for example. ESU develloped MFX for Marklin. Later on they got an argument with each other and now the're ennemies. Marklin still holds the patent on two way communication between a loc and a central so for the moment nobody can develop MFX or simmilar products besides Marklin. MFX locs run on the ECoS but only with 9 functions and 27 motor steps.
http://www.tee-usa.com/store/product109.html
Offline viragoLDR  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2006 23:49:51(UTC)
viragoLDR

Marklin doesn't hold any 2-way communication patent, DCC has 2-way communication as well, a bit more advanced too.

Whether the ECoS is better remains to be seen. On paper it's better, but that doesn't mean anything. Those motorized knobs will be a nightmare. Other than that, it doesn't do MFX, which for a bunch of people makes the ECoS quite useless. Sure, 9 functions and 27 speed steps might be enough, but for those who actively buy/convert/use mfx loco's, they'll likely want to be able to easily access all functions and all speed steps.

As for Doehler & Haass, they're the ones who made the entire Selectrix system (so it's not unlikely they're working with Marklin now), and quite frankly, Selectrix is still a very decent system, even if it's old.
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline VT95  
#10 Posted : 14 August 2006 00:39:47(UTC)
VT95

The ESU importer told me recently the ECoS already has MFX inside but it's locked. They hope to come to an agreement with Mazklin soon so they can reaease it.
Offline Davy  
#11 Posted : 14 August 2006 01:22:42(UTC)
Davy

Then Esu has to pay a lot of money.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline jonquinn  
#12 Posted : 14 August 2006 05:30:25(UTC)
jonquinn

or clever modeler to get into software/code to unlock it (for free).
Offline clapcott  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2006 11:05:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I know we are in rumour territory here, but a CSv2 (H/W) could accelerate for the implementation of some stuff that should have been in v1.

Personally I think they should stop reinventing the wheel and provide a simple interface/driver module that attaches to any PC, and the progam to run on that PC.

That way Marklin can concentrate on what they are good at - making trains. Off course they could/should "facilitate" the implementation with their software partner, but leave the users to CHOOSE what size screen and interface (keyboard,mouse,wireless remote,cellphone txt) they want.

By all means bundle a complete solution if they have to for marketting reasons (but it has to be modular and scalable) but don't tie us into old technology from day one. Most people can aquire a 2nd (3rd/4th) hand screen that is better (resolution and colour) than the pathetic one inbuilt with the current CS.
Peter
Offline Maxi  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2006 16:06:25(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />
Personally I think they should stop reinventing the wheel and provide a simple interface/driver module that attaches to any PC, and the progam to run on that PC.

This is a yes/no answer,by this I mean that by making a device that conects directly to a PC would allow for many different designs and concepts.

But on the realistic side not everyone who is into model railroading has a computer (this is fact). Also not everyone has a laptop computer that can be picked up and moved on a whim. So in reality a PC type solution would be most siutable for a permanent type layout and not a mobile type layout. For the rest a unit such as the 6021 or 60212 type controller to name a few are the best choice for their needs and abilities.

Maxi
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2006 21:25:25(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />Rumour says that they have found another partner. Seems likely to me.

I don't know of any uprade either, if you don't mean the software upgrade. I'm sure there will be such upgrades available, if I understand correctly, at your dealer. The average Märklin-user is not supposed to do such things himself (opposed to Uhlenbrock and I guess, ESU users). But things could change of course.

But /systems is not finished, Märklin has not fulfilled what they promised. So in my thinking they have to do something. Is that what you call an upgrade?

Regards,
Lars

Very nice explain...!
I was thinking like this:Colourful display,memory,turntable show up...etc!

Goofy
H0
Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 15 August 2006 00:53:16(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
But on the realistic side not everyone who is into model railroading has a computer (this is fact).....

just presuming for a moment that this might be so, even including units like the playstation and xbox, if you buy a CS or ECos then that is exactly what you are getting - but with a fixed set of peripherals.

If the solution was more modular then a train modeller could select the degree of user interface to meet their needs. AND marklin could outsource the non-core business far more efficiently.

I did not infer that users go and buy the latest PC. If you cannot get a 2nd hand PC(laptop) capable of managing a layout for less than 50eur then I would be suprised.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
Also not everyone has a laptop computer that can be picked up and moved on a whim.

see above re 2nd hand equipment - the unit does not have to be bleeding edge and expensive, it is a tool .

Also a modular design would allow a CHOICE of options. e.g. a large screen for the comfort of the layout room or a laptop when on the road doing the exhibition circuit (maybe with an added screen or two for the public to see - because of standardisation these might be supplied by the convention centre maybe).

Peter
Offline Maxi  
#17 Posted : 15 August 2006 02:23:51(UTC)
Maxi

All points made above are valid ones but we still have an audience which would be more comfortable and understanding if all the required pieces to make their layout operate come from one supplier and not have to deal with purchasing extra software just to get a layout up and running. When it comes to computer troubles (viruses or failed components such as hard drives or the fear of wiping all the information from the computer) this alone is enough to make the users who are not keen on computers think twice about getting into the hobby or progressing in what they currently have.

I aggree that a computer with modules added to it has more room for expansion and customization which the new and upcomming crowd would most likely want to see and use but when it comes down to cost and how many customers a product will serve it is a hard choice and it seems that a appliance nearly all in one has won again.

When it comes to second hand items, at times it is a bargin but also there are a fair share of inherit the problems that go with it since some cases that is why a person is selling the item in the first place. Also just because the computer originally came with a OS doesn't mean that a second hand one will, so if that is the case then the person is also out the cost of the OS and in that case one can just go and buy a fairly new machine right off the shelf brand new and have warrenty to boot.

Maxi
Offline Davy  
#18 Posted : 15 August 2006 02:55:55(UTC)
Davy

I get a email when the software update is ready. In Holland this will be done by one person. So my CS will has to make a little trip.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline clapcott  
#19 Posted : 15 August 2006 11:23:46(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />... we still have an audience which would be more comfortable and understanding if all the required pieces to make their layout operate come from one supplier ....

No problem with this at all - Now that the CSv1 (60212) is "to market" this is where it might (continue) be aimed.
I was picking up on the "IF" Marklin had to look for another product (CSv2) they might want to use/design it to capture a bit more of the fringe (at both ends) and in the process leverage standards (like the various PC interfaces) to ensure wider acceptance.

"Systems" is OVER 2 year old, from announce, and still cannot do the same functions of a 6021 or IB. As currently marketted it never will.
Marklin must have learnt (I hope) from the teaser CS they have released todate, that it is below par - moving forward they would be well advised not only to heed the feedback but to succinctly communicate their roadmap/vision for the future in a timely manner.
Peter
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2006 14:18:00(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
"Systems" is OVER 2 year old, from announce, and still cannot do the same functions of a 6021 or IB. As currently marketted it never will.
Marklin must have learnt (I hope) from the teaser CS they have released todate, that it is below par - moving forward they would be well advised not only to heed the feedback but to succinctly communicate their roadmap/vision for the future in a timely manner.

Amen.
Lars
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 15 August 2006 16:41:56(UTC)
john black

United States   
Since my friend David is on vacation I promised to hold the fort and defend the CS in the meantime ...
"Erm ... it's M's only premium controller availabe today. So what - just sign here. Ya can read it later [:o)]"

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#22 Posted : 15 August 2006 17:15:02(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I certainly would not want to have to do without my layout while I send my controller in for an update I should be able to do myself. That alone will preclude the CS for me.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline viragoLDR  
#23 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:05:57(UTC)
viragoLDR

Chances are that Marklin aren't the only ones to blame for the fact that the CS is incomplete, but it's easy to blame Marklin, just another thing to whine about.

All the problems and delays are mostly caused by the Marklin/ESU brake up. ESU did most of the work on the CS, and from what was mentioned earlier on the forum here, ESU is now so stuck up and full of themselves, that they won't give Marklin all the info needed for Marklin to continue on the CS, so Marklin basically had to reverse engineer the whole thing. Combine that with the financial problems and takeover etc, and you have a perfectly valid reason why the CS isn't what they promised it would be. If ESU was working on ECoS at the same time as they were working on CS, I can imagine ESU is as much to blame, if not more so, then Marklin, the 2 devices are far too similar to be coincedence, and the ECoS was announced far too quick after the CS to have been built from scratch.

Anyways, not allowing users to update their own CS is a whole load of nonsense, although, only slightly worse than requiring a dos bootable floppy ;)
- Martijn
Offline rschaffr  
#24 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:13:38(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Well, if the CS had been brought out as announced, not a year late, the ECoS would have been announced a year after the CS was on the market. You are correct, though, that blame for the delay in bringing Systems to market must at least be shared by ESU. Could be that ESU's development was constantly interfered with by Marklin with changing requirements, no set design specification, etc, but the blame is not all Marklin's for sure.
-Ron
Offline Maxi  
#25 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:14:05(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by viragoLDR
<br />
Anyways, not allowing users to update their own CS is a whole load of nonsense, although, only slightly worse than requiring a dos bootable floppy ;)

If you are hinting on the updating of the IB, I have come up with a solution that will allow the update to be done while using Windows XP and a USB to serial adaptor. I currently removed the solution from my website but I beleive the the Webmaster has a copy of the solution and is open to the thought of posting the solution on this site for all to access.

Maxi
Offline viragoLDR  
#26 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:26:28(UTC)
viragoLDR

Ron, or ESU was too busy building they're ECoS, so that Marklin told them to bugger off ;) The only people who know are Marklin and ESU, and I doubt either of them will make a public statement about it.

Maxi, I know, I saw that. But that means you need to buy a USB -&gt; serial adapter if you don't have one, and buying hardware so you can upgrade other hardware is a bit stupid. Especially since accessing the serial port in winxp is awfully easy...
- Martijn
Offline rschaffr  
#27 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:35:02(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Martijn: I had no trouble upgrading my IB but my train computer is still on win98. It is inexcusable for Uhlenbrock to not have moved with the times and addressed upgrading their system with XP. Could be that they have abandoned further development on the IB for IBII and are putting their efforts there, although nothing has even been hinted at in that direction.
-Ron
Offline Maxi  
#28 Posted : 15 August 2006 18:37:10(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
<br />Ron, or ESU was too busy building they're ECoS, so that Marklin told them to bugger off ;) The only people who know are Marklin and ESU, and I doubt either of them will make a public statement about it.

Maxi, I know, I saw that. But that means you need to buy a USB -&gt; serial adapter if you don't have one, and buying hardware so you can upgrade other hardware is a bit stupid. Especially since accessing the serial port in winxp is awfully easy...

The solution will also work with a real serial port, but for those who are not so lucky and have a computer with no floppy drive and or no real serial port the solution provides a way fulfilling the task of updating the IB since they would definetly have a serial port of one form or another in order to use IB with a computer. There is still the rare case of a user just wanting to use the IB by its self and still needs to update it to make use of new features required (eg the lissy feature). Can't please all but at least try to please as many as possible.

Maxi
Offline jeehring  
#29 Posted : 16 August 2006 04:27:05(UTC)
jeehring

...If ESU was working on ECoS at the same time as they were working on CS,....

This point has been related to me from serious sources....
Offline Hemmerich  
#30 Posted : 16 August 2006 20:20:45(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I certainly would not want to have to do without my layout while I send my controller in for an update I should be able to do myself. That alone will preclude the CS for me.

Ron, just view it from this point:

Märklin doesn't sell this stuff over the Internet; they deliver it to their "contracted" dealers worldwide - which are usually expected to have a shop where they sell these items to the end customers.

You simply contact this dealer and ask him about his plans to accomplish such an update.

There are several options:

- Visit the selling dealer and get the update done there.
- Send your CS to the selling dealer for update (he must still exist).
- Send or bring your CS to Märklin in your country for update.
- Register your CS to a central database (at Märklin) and get your update from there.
- Get a CD with the update (you'll need a PC to do so).
- Connect your CS to a Network PC and perform the update ("some" SW must be installed on that PC).

If you take a look at the ECoS update process (chapter 20), you can already guess what will (also) happen with the CS - ok, once the English document is out. Cool
Offline rschaffr  
#31 Posted : 16 August 2006 21:13:57(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Lutz: Options 4, 5, and 6 are acceptable, but are they being supported by Marklin? All I have heard is that you ahve to physically deliver your CS somewhere for upgrade. That is NOT acceptable to me.
-Ron
Offline digilox1  
#32 Posted : 17 August 2006 06:00:37(UTC)
digilox1

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Since my friend David is on vacation I promised to hold the fort and defend the CS in the meantime ...
"Erm ... it's M's only premium controller availabe today. So what - just sign here. Ya can read it later

John, I don`t believe you. I can see a serious lack of seriousness
in your posting and even a certain frivolity in the handling of that difficult task. It is definitely NOT enhanced by using THAT smiley!

Serious regards,
Manfred
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#33 Posted : 17 August 2006 10:06:48(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
<br />Chances are that Marklin aren't the only ones to blame for the fact that the CS is incomplete, but it's easy to blame Marklin, just another thing to whine about.

I'm sorry,
but this seems as a corect but irrelevant note to me. With the CS Märklin certainly is the only business partner the end users has, hence, the only one to blame. ESU is a sub contractor, so if the cooperation has failed due to failures of them, still, Märklin is to be blamed for choosing that partner.

My own main critisism is about technical choices, which may been have propesed by ESU, but certainly has been decided by Märklin. It's clear to me that Märklin didn't have the competence to do the right decision, but then I blame them for not acquiring that compotence. I'm sure they know more and better now. If they had choosen more standards like DCC, LocoNet/eXpressNet they would not have been that dependent on ESU, and they would have delivered systems far earlier. That was obvious for me at the time /systems was announced; look back in the archives if you don't believe me.

And if it was obvious for some of us single persons already in the beginning, i find it rather natural to blame our belowed Märklin to do such a failure.

/Lars
Offline john black  
#34 Posted : 17 August 2006 13:35:45(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
<br />John, I can see a serious lack of seriousness in your posting and even a certain frivolity in the handling of that difficult task.

Manfred, you're right. I really should go into myself and do an appropiate amount of penance.
A pity you can't see the ashes on top of my head ... biggrin[}:)]

Enlighted regards,
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline nuno sousa  
#35 Posted : 17 August 2006 21:31:25(UTC)
nuno sousa

I think that M had the obligation to deliver a better product, M is about the best products around for a medium/upper market and they cannot go just half way, CS without a larger color toutch screen, pc interface, internet downloads, and better control knobs for the price asked is not an easy decision, at least for me.
Nuno Sousa
Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 17 August 2006 23:45:47(UTC)
Goofy

Marklin can do it better,but the question is all about money to placement on the CS.
Or shall Marklin wait little longer time before to go to next step by expanded theirs CS...?
Marklin,beware of the enemies who are producing Central Station by self!!!
Like ESU:s and Wiessmann!?

Goofy
H0
Offline rschaffr  
#37 Posted : 17 August 2006 23:47:01(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Competition is always good...keeps manufacturers honest and priced competitively.
-Ron
Offline viragoLDR  
#38 Posted : 18 August 2006 00:04:26(UTC)
viragoLDR

Barring any strange happenings at Viessmann, I think their commander could take the lead. It has several features that seem rather interesting, not least of all the nice color touchscreen and the combined on-screen and external switchboards.

I don't know much about Viessmann's hardware department, but I saw the video for the commander, and they've come quite a ways with the thing. I'm considering waiting getting a Lenz SET100 and possibly go for a commander.
- Martijn
Offline Goofy  
#39 Posted : 18 August 2006 21:18:25(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
<br />Barring any strange happenings at Viessmann, I think their commander could take the lead. It has several features that seem rather interesting, not least of all the nice color touchscreen and the combined on-screen and external switchboards.

I don't know much about Viessmann's hardware department, but I saw the video for the commander, and they've come quite a ways with the thing. I'm considering waiting getting a Lenz SET100 and possibly go for a commander.

Lenz SET100 and Viessmann:s commander together...?
I don`t think so,but it`s up to yourself.

Goofy Cool
H0
Offline viragoLDR  
#40 Posted : 18 August 2006 22:50:57(UTC)
viragoLDR

Nah, not together, not much point. The Lenz set has some nice features, but I just really like the idea of the on-screen switchboards, so I'll wait and see what happens with the commander for now, not in a hurry to get a digital system anyway as long as I have the IB on loan, it's good enough for testing purposes ;)
- Martijn
Offline David Dewar  
#41 Posted : 18 August 2006 23:52:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
John. back from holiday and note your support (I think)
Not really needed though as having looked at the posts I am sure Marklin must have a laugh at what they should be doing with systems. IB are not selling and the others are not on the market so only M is getting any sales (thankfully) Have not had time to ask my German dealer how sales are going but will do so soon.
Now off to run my first train for a week.

David

PS John just stick with the 6021 and I will keep mine in case you need a replacement in the years to come.Smile
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Goofy  
#42 Posted : 19 August 2006 13:31:06(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />John. back from holiday and note your support (I think)
Not really needed though as having looked at the posts I am sure Marklin must have a laugh at what they should be doing with systems. IB are not selling and the others are not on the market so only M is getting any sales (thankfully) Have not had time to ask my German dealer how sales are going but will do so soon.
Now off to run my first train for a week.

David

PS John just stick with the 6021 and I will keep mine in case you need a replacement in the years to come.Smile

IB are not selling...!?
Truth,it has to do about new things inside of digitalsystem that there is to offer to customer now!!!
IB has become to old stuff now.I think that IB will been changed to new style and function into future...!

Goofy Cool
H0
Offline john black  
#43 Posted : 19 August 2006 13:39:20(UTC)
john black

United States   
David, you know it was a joke - though I'm not sure this was recognised by all ... [:o)]
Well, the day I can build a big layout I'll surely go for the CS. Since like you I prefer to have all components by <u>one</u> maker.

Glad you're back sound & well and can enjoy your trains, again Smile
John

Offline David Dewar  
#44 Posted : 19 August 2006 15:57:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thats the stuff John...us Marklin men must stick together.it might not be the best but its all we need and its made by the best model rail firm (although HAG make some great locos)
Better remember to get the dogs back from the kennels..

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#45 Posted : 22 August 2006 11:35:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
Yeah. Otherwise they won't talk with you, anymore ... biggrin

Offline renevoorburg  
#46 Posted : 22 August 2006 15:23:18(UTC)
renevoorburg

Regardless who is to blame: I won't buy a CS before:
- updates don't ruin all your settings (backup option!)
- automated track control becomes possible (with or without computer)
- mfx capable boosters are on the market.

I think it spells bad news that Marklin doesn't give any insight in its future plans for systems.

Rene
Offline alonso231gery  
#47 Posted : 22 August 2006 16:13:57(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Better remember to get the dogs back from the kennels.

???
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline bmcrae  
#48 Posted : 25 August 2006 01:29:14(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
I had my first look at 'Systems' yesterday on a visit to Eurorailhobbies in Langley, BC. I can understand now where users enjoy the added (pardon the pun) 'bells and whistles' that mfx has to offer.

On the display table was the M* VT 08.5 (39080). [:p][:p][:p]
I didn't handle it at all so I can't comment as to physcial features and how it feels/weighs, but it looks and sounds FANTASTIC. The controller was an MS and not a CS like I thought was there last time but chances are the CS was sold long ago (my last visit was in Feb). I didn't see any in stock so he's moving them pretty quick it seems.

The MS seems fairly straigh forward to operate. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of the MS starter systems, but time will tell. I think my son who is 6 will be able to use it with no problem so maybe a small layout for him is in order! wink

I over heard the shop owner talking with my friend about a new Intellibox in the future (read something in forum here also I believe). Has anyone heard anything else regarding this? I think the timeline the owner mentioned might have been in time for next fall, but I might be mistaken. He suggested that this new IB will recognize ALL formats.
Smile
Offline p .g  
#49 Posted : 11 September 2006 22:57:24(UTC)
p .g

wait
back on land but it feels funny
Offline Rowan  
#50 Posted : 11 September 2006 23:40:46(UTC)
Rowan

Have been waiting,and waiting......[V]