Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2022 03:13:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What are some of the options for attaching this track to the Noch Preformed layouts? Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2022 06:47:38(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
What are some of the options for attaching this track to the Noch Preformed layouts? Confused

Hi Adrian,

I was interested in your post.

Are you into Z track?

Regards,

Philip
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2022 09:59:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Ah no.. I bought FD a z scale Christmas start set and the Noch St Anton layout for Christmas after we realised we would not be able to set up the 1 Gauge set and the big tree last Christmas. We have the track and some tiny tiny pins that don't look like they will hold the track down properly.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2022 00:47:27(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
ADrian, be v. Careful of the track pins, it is very easy to deform the track. ( I have the cap and tee shirt). Use PVA glue or Hot glue as both easy to take up. as easy to take up if needed
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2022 08:44:51(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Märklin 8999 track nails works fine into the foam layouts ... can also use Peter Post 08056 screws. Yes screws for Märklin z tracks.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline veloboldie  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2022 00:12:53(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
I used a pin vice to pre-drill holes and then pushed in the Marklin Z scale nails using tweezers to attach track to my Cortina layout. It was a painstaking and time consuming task.

Edited by user 21 March 2022 15:07:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by veloboldie
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2022 23:30:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Two hundred of the tiny tiny screws arrived on Thursday. I am on the hunt for a suitable screwdriver. I may already have one, but I would really like one with a sleeve.

I have a few house things to get done first and then I will resume the layout project for FD.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline hennabm  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2022 21:31:29(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi
Im also in the process of wondering how to secure the tracks. Having purchased some M nails, I too am not sure of their ability. Plus if I need to raise the track, a nail is not as easy to remove as a screw.

I’ve had a look at the small screws but can only find them in the USA. The packets containing the screws appear to be written in German, so is there a European supplier, or is the USA the sole provider?

Many thanks
Mike

098F6BF7-4999-4E08-B24E-99A82E8CB063.jpeg
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2022 23:21:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Im also in the process of wondering how to secure the tracks. Having purchased some M nails, I too am not sure of their ability. Plus if I need to raise the track, a nail is not as easy to remove as a screw.

I’ve had a look at the small screws but can only find them in the USA. The packets containing the screws appear to be written in German, so is there a European supplier, or is the USA the sole provider?

Many thanks
Mike

098F6BF7-4999-4E08-B24E-99A82E8CB063.jpeg

Mike,
Have a look at Peco track pins. One Z scale layout I obtained used track pins to hold the track down. I think they were Peco ones. Instead of having a round head like a dressmaking pin these had the top bent sideways almost like a full size track nail. See https://peco-uk.com/products/track-fixing-pins for what I'm thinking of.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 02 October 2022 01:47:12(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The Marklin nail is 0.55mm x 8.5mm 1.25mm head ∅. The Peco nail is 0.60mm x 14mm 1.5mm head ∅.

The Peco nail head does look a touch large on the sleeper, but it is acceptable.

Pre push a nail through the sleeper hole with the sleeper pre warmed in your hand, as holes are a bit tight, or at least warm up a touch with hair dryer, you don't need to over do the heating. If you need holes in other sleepers pre-drill with 0.5mm drill bit in a pin vise.

Because the Peco nail is so long, if you need push it into a timber base you will need to pre-drill holes or you will end up bending a few nails & breaking sleepers getting them in. You don't need the nails in so tight like a masonry anchor.

You can cut them shorter, but file or Dremel a point.

P.S. What gradient do have at the back. If you raise all the track a bit, then lower the lower rear track to split the gradient between the upper and lower level. Any gradient more than 2.5% will give you headaches later on. Just avoid it like the plague.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 02 October 2022 05:35:56(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I noticed you are using the 8590 power feed track. They are ugly on a finished layout and one item that can be avoided. Unless you can hide them, solder wire on the rail. Use lead/tin solder, it's easier than tin only.
IMG_65384.jpg
Offline Toosmall  
#12 Posted : 02 October 2022 10:07:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Marklin nail left, Peco nail right.

_MG_0958_070035.jpg

I have a few old Marklin nails and they were 5.5mm long. Depending how tough the timer is, a 0.4mm pilot hole for the Marklin nail will help.

Also use a nail punch, trying to hit the nail directly will cause you not to hit it square.
Offline Toosmall  
#13 Posted : 02 October 2022 10:16:41(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
If you use the Marklin 7599 countersunk phillips head screws. Quite handy for fixing problems. They are 1.45mm ∅, so drill a pilot hole 1mm ∅ so you don't snap them off. Really hard timber say 1.2mm ∅ pilot hole.
Offline hennabm  
#14 Posted : 02 October 2022 10:16:52(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post

P.S. What gradient do have at the back. If you raise all the track a bit, then lower the lower rear track to split the gradient between the upper and lower level. Any gradient more than 2.5% will give you headaches later on. Just avoid it like the plague.

The gradient uses standard Marklin pillars at the moment and so ends up 40mm above the base. To get the height quickly the pillared are every 55mm (half straight). I have tested it with a Bo Bo electric and a 4-6-2 steamer and both climb it well. I plan to use only a rail bus or an engine and one thunder box up there as it is quite steep.

Mike

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Toosmall  
#15 Posted : 02 October 2022 11:01:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Try a few carriages on the loco. Most people get a bit frustrated in the long run. Even massaging the track here and there can knock off a few gradient percentage points without too much effort.

Soldered power connections
_MG_0963_075116.jpg