Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2016 04:02:40(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I've been reading Martin T's great sticky on reconditioning M 5202 turnouts.
Ultrasonic cleaners are mentioned in the thread, but the references date back to 02/2013. Does anyone have any later experience in using these devices to clean M track, turnouts, and even other MRR mechanisms?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline nitramretep  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:14:06(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I am not an expert on ultrasonic cleaners but there are many types and many grades of same. I purchased one from an optical supply house that was going out of business. I paid under $200.00 for the unit and later discovered it sells for almost three times that amount. I have had my handguns ultrasonically cleaned and that can loosed all sorts of parts. All ultrasonic cleaners come with a wire basket to catch parts that come loose. There is also a solution that is supposed to be used, some sort of diluted cleaning agent. I have put many things in my cleaner and some hold-up better than others...parts held together by compression or crimping do not always hold-up well. Some screwed or bolted parts can come loose. One thing to be careful of is that delicate parts connected in some devices will simply come apart. My cleaner is adjustable but the difference the adjustments create still appear to really rattle any thing you put in the basket. I would NOT put turnouts of any sort, other than gauge 1, in the cleaner, you might end up with a bunch of parts and rails/frogs. Ultrasonic does not remove any corrosion other than loose particles of same. I use mine primarily for cleaning brass in my reloading work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2016 04:02:28(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
thanks for your input. My interest in ultrasonic cleaning was sparked by this thread here https://www.marklin-user...-to-make-a-total-upgrade It is the 11th post on the thread and subsequent.
The poster, M Gleis User, puts M HO turnouts in the device and is happy with the results. I know nothing about these Ultrasonic cleaners, but I see the low-end ones sell in Belgium for about €50 and going by the user reviews on the vendor sites, most people seem to use them for cleaning jewelry items. I guess they don't shake the diamonds looseBigGrin
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams