Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ozzman  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2009 04:34:28(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Has anyone used one of these for cleaning their locos, especially to deal with the Dreaded Hardened Oil Syndrome? How difficult are they to use? Are there any risks to delicate loco electronics? Are they worth the money?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline sudibarba  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2009 06:50:06(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Have often wondered myself. You can get one pretty cheap in USA from Harbor Freight.com. But, I always find that using disposible aluminum bread trays and lighter fluid (NAPHA) does a great job so I have not followed up on the idea. I believe some others on the forum use them. I'm not sure you can get them much cleaner than using napha and a little scrubbing with cotton swab (Q Tip).
Eric
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2009 17:09:11(UTC)
H0

My DHG 500 which had the Hardened Oil Syndrome from factory took a swim at the last club meeting.
I didn't try yet if the Delta electronics survived (it'll get an update anyway). The hardened oil was not washed away completely, so I might try lighter fluid.

I think it does a good job with respect to cleaning the cogwheels, but the hardened oil in the axle bearings is a tough job and the ultrasonic cleaner improved the situation, but didn't clean it all.

With respect to electronics: Make sure it's absolutely dry before applying power. Use a hair dryer or wait a few days.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage