Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2016 05:51:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
This may sound like an odd question, but the smoke/vapour that comes out of our locos, is it harmful to our health?

Does anyone have actual scientific information on point?

Thanks.
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2016 06:43:59(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Baggio,

see previous discussion:

https://www.marklin-user...uid---Health-Saftey-Info

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2016 10:34:04(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
This may sound like an odd question, but the smoke/vapour that comes out of our locos, is it harmful to our health?

Does anyone have actual scientific information on point?

Thanks.

Hello Baggio,

Yes, I looked into this and I regret to say that my scientific research definitely shows that it is harmful to your health.

University tests show that after more than 1 hour of inhalation the recipient hallucinates and is deluded into believing that he/she positively needs to acquire more and more Märklin items. The sufferer then feels that these items are the most important thing in life, to the exclusion of his/her family.

There are also a few case reports in the literature of these harmful effects bankrupting family budgets,

.........so, be warned! LOL LOL

Regards,

PJ
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2016 11:58:44(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Huh Been there, done that, won the t-shirt............. NOW you tell me Crying
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2016 12:04:17(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I've been inhaling it since 1964 and I'm still kicking. Causes Märklin purchases. Perhaps my other half might say, "Do you really need another Märklin locomotive?"

There was a brand of smoke fluid that I bought a few years ago which said on the bottle that it "did not cause cancer". I wasn't able to

get it again. Peter Laugh
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2016 12:53:49(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Isn't model railway smoke fluid in fact Johnsons baby oil or vice versa? If it good enough for baby's bottoms then its good enough for me albeit you don't vaporise it when in that use`. Or maybe I'm talking complete tosh - probably caused by Seuthe poisoning.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2016 18:37:22(UTC)
Goofy

R-Sätze 65
Harmful;
Possible lung damage if swallowed

Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking

DSC_0013_238.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline skeeterbuck  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2016 20:18:27(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
If that were true, I'd have been dead years ago. Laugh

Chuck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2016 20:25:43(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
May I suggest that we all take this matter seriously? Remember that the dangers of cigarette smoke used to be treated the same way: a non-issue....

From what I have read here on this forum (thanks to the input of some of you ThumpUp ), this is no laughing matter and, I for one, am concerned.

My basement is small and when the loco goes, there is quite a bit of that stuff going around, albeit for 90 seconds until I have to add more.

I am considering giving up on having the locos smoke, for safety reasons.

My two cents' worth.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#10 Posted : 09 March 2016 20:29:54(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
baggio, life is too short to take serious. If you're that concerned, just stop using it....problem solved! Cool

Chuck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2016 21:13:23(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I know a number of modellers do not fit/use smoke units at all - some say potential damage to paint over long term usage?...I do, and have been using them for the past 6 years, and do not see any defects on paint......well, not yet anyway!
as far as safety aspects are concerned, I suppose we need to be sensible: ensure adequate ventilation at all times - this also applies when painting, gluing, cleaning with benzine/lighter fluid, alcohol, whatever........
And as Chuck says - if you think it could be harmful over the long term....just don't use it!
Keep safe out there.....Joe
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2016 21:27:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
...we need to be sensible: ensure adequate ventilation at all times - this also applies when painting, gluing, cleaning with benzine/lighter fluid, alcohol, whatever........

This is absolutely true. ThumpUp I would add soldering to this list too. Good ventilation in your workspace is a must!

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2016 22:07:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Being alive is a very dangerous business.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Shamu  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2016 23:48:59(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
The amount of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) released from plastic and synthetics in the average home (or the average confined hobby room full of plastic kits and model trains) especially if poorly ventilated would be more of a concern than smoke fluid or its burnt aftermath.

Heating, cooking, cleaning, smoking, perfumes and furnishings are all sources of indoor pollutants, which include carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulphur oxide and god knows what else.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 10 March 2016 00:24:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The only thing that requires poor ventilation is a really nice Rum or wine.. You don't want any of those nice odours to escape.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Br502362  
#16 Posted : 10 March 2016 05:23:25(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
I know a number of modellers do not fit/use smoke units at all - some say potential damage to paint over long term usage?...I do, and have been using them for the past 6 years, and do not see any defects on paint......well, not yet anyway!
as far as safety aspects are concerned, I suppose we need to be sensible: ensure adequate ventilation at all times - this also applies when painting, gluing, cleaning with benzine/lighter fluid, alcohol, whatever........
And as Chuck says - if you think it could be harmful over the long term....just don't use it!
Keep safe out there.....Joe

My father, my uncle and me have used smoke units in various steamers from early 60's
and they are now in my use. None of them have any defects on paint work and we have used
a lot of smoke fluid... and I mean a LOT Laugh

At least the older models paint seems to tolerate smoke fluid.

Åke
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline ixldoc  
#17 Posted : 10 March 2016 07:04:54(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Baggio,
Good post, it makes you think.
If it does contain propylene glycol that is pretty safe stuff and considered food grade. It can cause trouble occasionally if used as a vehicle for IV drugs, but we aren't mainlining the stuff!
Totally different from ethylene glycol "antifreeze" which is quite toxic in small amounts when ingested.
As an amusing anecdote I can recall in the eighties in Brisbane where I live, the mosquitos were quite a problem in summer until council spraying of insecticide in the low lying still water areas just about eliminated the problem.
I was a member of a model train club and we would regularly show off our Marklin prowess in the club room ( most members were 2 rail) with our smoke units. The difference was we would use a Coles " Embassy "brand fly spray designed to use in the old hand pumps we all used in our homes before aerosols became widely used. It was incredibly cheap for a litre, produced prodigious smoke and didn't seem to harm the loco paint or the smoke unit. Best of all after a few minutes all the mozzies were gone!
I still have half a bottle which I don't use anymore but I note it contains kerosene which explains why the smoke smelt like a kerosene lamp.
Regards,
Howard.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline MalinAC  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2016 12:16:59(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Guys, come on , get with the program. Unless some of you are sticking your noses right over the locos as they are smoking I think the chances of catching anything bad are slim to none. Your in worse danger from traffic fumes when your outside around town. Anyway take care and dont put your head over a smoking loco. Eddie BigGrin BigGrin Blink Blink
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline Br502362  
#19 Posted : 10 March 2016 12:45:26(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Guys, come on , get with the program. Unless some of you are sticking your noses right over the locos as they are smoking I think the chances of catching anything bad are slim to none. Your in worse danger from traffic fumes when your outside around town. Anyway take care and dont put your head over a smoking loco. Eddie BigGrin BigGrin Blink Blink

But it smells like.... childhood Laugh Laugh Laugh

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Angus  
#20 Posted : 11 March 2016 08:12:49(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Based on the comment regarding cigarette smoke I think this is quite relevant. This guy would have everyone from child welfare to health & safety knocking on his door. All you need in the background is his wife pregnant in the kitchen BigGrin

Maybe it's a Sleuthe #10 in his pipe & not tobacco? Wink

This is from the back of the Marklin 0321 Track Planning book.

Father&Son.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Angus
Offline Shamu  
#21 Posted : 11 March 2016 08:31:32(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I still have vivid memories of the big fat grumpy old family doctor that we had in the early 60's that was always sucking on his pipe all through the consultation.

How times have changed.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline baggio  
#22 Posted : 11 March 2016 14:17:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Please remember that one does NOT inhale pipe smoke.

Just for the fun of it, see what Salvatore Mammoliti put on YouTube: it should be an advertisement for Marklin 1 gauge (molto bello, but maybe dangerous) BigGrin:

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Angus  
#23 Posted : 11 March 2016 14:23:49(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Please remember that one does NOT inhale pipe smoke.

Perhaps the pipe smoker doesn't but the secondary smoke is most definitely inhaled by whoever is present.

That smoke looks great on the video!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Angus
Offline skeeterbuck  
#24 Posted : 11 March 2016 15:04:22(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
That video was great. I think I could smell the smoke through my computer screen. Woot

Chuck

P.S. I hope I didn't inhale any. Wink

Kinda like Bill C. "I smoked marijuana, but I didn't inhale". RollEyes LOL Laugh

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 12 March 2016 00:03:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post
Based on the comment regarding cigarette smoke I think this is quite relevant. This guy would have everyone from child welfare to health & safety knocking on his door. All you need in the background is his wife pregnant in the kitchen BigGrin

Maybe it's a Sleuthe #10 in his pipe & not tobacco? Wink

This is from the back of the Marklin 0321 Track Planning book.

Father&Son.jpg

I have seen this many times, but I hadn't really picked up that the thing the baby is waving is a paddle like a station master waves in Germany to wave a train off (and Noch make an animated version of).

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan