Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2013 15:46:05(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hi all,

Does anyone have a copy of the info sheet that comes with Marklin 02420 smoke fluid? I am looking to see how it is described (poison, etc). I saw Viessmann smoke fluid, and found a PDF of the info sheet...that's pretty nasty stuff. Don't allow contact to skin, breath the fumes (!!!), etc. I wonder if the Marklin stuff is the same? Are there other healthy alternatives?

-Brandon
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2013 16:31:33(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Brandon,

I have been wondering about the same? It would be nice to see a MSDS (material safety data sheet) on the chemical used?

I noticed the warning as well - do not breathe fumes - well that's pretty hard to avoid if you have several loco running with smoke on and you layout is placed in a small roomCrying

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline witzlerh  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2013 16:35:02(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Good question!
I would think that live steam would be more authentic and pleasing on the nose, but the burns and potential melted plastic would poise a greater hazard, not to mention require more track cleaning...

Ultrasonic vaporizers may be an interesting alternative....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline waorb  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2013 16:41:54(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Does anyone have a copy of the info sheet that comes with Marklin 02420 smoke fluid? I am looking to see how it is described (poison, etc). I saw Viessmann smoke fluid, and found a PDF of the info sheet...that's pretty nasty stuff. Don't allow contact to skin, breath the fumes (!!!), etc. I wonder if the Marklin stuff is the same? Are there other healthy alternatives?

Hi Brandon!

At Märklin website you can get a copy.
(probably need to copy&paste the address in your web browser)

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/02420_betrieb.pdf

Cheers,

Walter

Edited by moderator 27 September 2013 11:37:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2013 17:05:59(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Thanks Walter. This is basically the same as the warning on the Viessmann stuff, which must be at least similar in terms of composition.

The forum shortens the link, so here is the full version for anyone interested (copy and paste URL).
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/02420_betrieb.pdf

So now I am searching for a good alternative. I know Peter (petestra) uses some stuff from "KM" that is supposed to be safer, but I have no idea where you could get it. Maybe a smoke fluid that is not chemically hazardous just doesn't exist.

-Brandon
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2013 17:16:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Brandon,

I haven't had any side effects, as yet unless someone else has noticed any difference.BigGrin

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2013 17:40:38(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

I haven't had any side effects, as yet unless someone else has noticed any difference.BigGrin

John,

Does obsession with large layout modules count? :)
Just kidding.

-Brandon

Offline kbvrod  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2013 19:40:43(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Become bubble boy/men.RollEyes
Offline Hoffmann  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2013 20:55:55(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hi all,

WE are getting to conscious to environmental Hazards. This Smoke Fluid has been around for almost a 100 Years and as far as I know has not caused anyone

more Harm then lets say Windex or Fantastic. When I was young (oh so many years ago) I used this stuff almost every day around Christmas time and I am still here.

Of course I did not drink the stuff if that is what is worrying you around your Children. As with all things common sense should be used.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2013 22:24:28(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
...I would think that live steam would be more authentic and pleasing on the nose,....

Perhaps we could have different flavours like pizza or smoked ham (for Christmas).
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#11 Posted : 27 September 2013 00:28:32(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Become bubble boy/men.RollEyes

Make sure the bubble is made up of acid free plastic or it will affect your skin.

I have very fond memories of sticking the chimney of my 3048 up my nose to get high on Marklin smoke fluid. That and licking model cars made with lead must be the cause of my twisted mind among other things.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2013 00:34:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Without reading the material from Marklin Viessmann etc, would not the fluid be food grade stuff?
There are plenty of warehouses around the world that are protected by what they call "smoke cloak".
It is since 2003, a Danish company.
When an intruder sets off the alarm, it releases food grade heated fluid, of which the cloud of vapour is so intense, the intruder cannot see the hand in front of his face.
It has to be food grade, otherwise the intruder could sue the warehouse for putting his life at risk.
Same stuff?

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 09 March 2016 09:55:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Danlake  
#13 Posted : 27 September 2013 05:02:00(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Gents,

I found some good info on this website:
http://www.trainweb.org/...ps/tips3/smoke_tips.html

I was not aware that you could "damage" the smoke units by letting them run dry...

According to various website I have seen the ingredients to be Propylene Glycol. And reading trough this website it doesn't look to bad: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov...xsubstance.asp?toxid=240

Happy smokingBigGrin

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline DigitalNZ  
#14 Posted : 27 September 2013 07:10:24(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
I think most smoke fluids are glycol based... We frequenly used the Martin Pro Smoke ZR Mix for shows at school and a ZR12 or Magnum 1200 smoke machine. (Yes, we did isolate the alarms in the school hall before using it! They are incredibly sensitive)

Going by this datasheet it doesn't seem too nasty. This smelt from memory vaguely like instant coffee... (and says food grade)

http://www.martin.com/se..._Fluid_EN.pdf&cat=80
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DigitalNZ
Offline BrandonVA  
#15 Posted : 27 September 2013 14:28:20(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Gents,

I found some good info on this website:
http://www.trainweb.org/...ps/tips3/smoke_tips.html

I was not aware that you could "damage" the smoke units by letting them run dry...

According to various website I have seen the ingredients to be Propylene Glycol. And reading trough this website it doesn't look to bad: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov...xsubstance.asp?toxid=240

Happy smokingBigGrin

Brgds - Lasse

Thanks Lasse. Interesting about propylene glycol being used as an antifreeze for food shipping. I wonder, is the Marklin fluid propylene glycol?

Also, has anybody tried something like Bachmann smoke fluid? It's a lot easier for me to find something like this locally vs. Marklin. I noticed the voltage on the linked chart for a couple of Bachmann smoke generators was 12-16v, so probably close to Marklin (of course in analog operation 16v would be very high speed...)

About the damage, it may be particular to the type? I am not sure if the Marklin ones vulnerable like this. I believe Seuthe said their units would be fine run dry. Of course, if digital operation, just turn the smoke function off :)

-Brandon
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 27 September 2013 14:42:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
About the damage, it may be particular to the type? I am not sure if the Marklin ones vulnerable like this. I believe Seuthe said their units would be fine run dry. Of course, if digital operation, just turn the smoke function off :)
Märklin is just a reseller for Seuthe smoke generators and fluid.
Seuthe write that a damage of a dry smoke generator in analogue operation is unlikely as nobody runs train constantly at full speed (their guess about full-speed running may be wrong Wink ).
With digital operation, they say, the risk is much higher as full track voltage is always on and dry smoke generators under power should be avoided. Early 36xx and 37xx models do not control the smoke generator and it always gets the full power.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline waorb  
#17 Posted : 27 September 2013 14:48:46(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps we could have different flavours like pizza or smoked ham (for Christmas).

Which one do you want?

http://www.megasteam.com/

Laugh

Regards,

Walter
Offline BrandonVA  
#18 Posted : 27 September 2013 14:58:13(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Märklin is just a reseller for Seuthe smoke generators and fluid.
Seuthe write that a damage of a dry smoke generator in analogue operation is unlikely as nobody runs train constantly at full speed (their guess about full-speed running may be wrong Wink ).
With digital operation, they say, the risk is much higher as full track voltage is always on and dry smoke generators under power should be avoided. Early 36xx and 37xx models do not control the smoke generator and it always gets the full power.

Tom,

You have a lot of good answers, I learned a lot here.

For me, I only have two analog locs with smoke units. I also have some really old Marklin fluid (from the 80s!) I could try. I'm not really sure if it goes bad or not, probably not...

I may be fitting 1-2 digital locs with smoke, but these allow the function to be turned off.

-Brandon