Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TimR  
#51 Posted : 05 August 2008 10:04:29(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I'll be surprised if they announced it as 2008 Autumn new items. Maybe 2009 new items?

Colour touch screen - fancy and wow[:p]... But let's hope it doesn't translate to substantial price hike and reliability problems.
I do expect price to increase - but hopefully still within reasonable price band.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline tekin65  
#52 Posted : 05 August 2008 11:11:39(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />It sure would be nice if SOMEONE who seems to be in the know about all things ...

Ron hi,

Unfortunately there exists no such person within the borders of Göppingen; else, we would have been discussing real stuff instead of hearsay and speculation ...

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Goofy  
#53 Posted : 05 August 2008 11:13:30(UTC)
Goofy

If you are reading carefully about CST2,you can see that it´s stands with colourful display with fully functional CST2...!

The stop and Go button sits in downside of CST2 between 2 turnknobs,that are possible lighting up to green or red colourful-lighting.

Goofy Smile
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Minibahn  
#54 Posted : 05 August 2008 11:16:03(UTC)
Minibahn

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />I know that many of you would like to see this CS do DCC, but do you honestly expect Marklin to do this? I don't think so.

Hello Ray,

they need DCC for H0 DC, Minitrix N-Scale and LGB ........ On the other side I was told that Marklin considers to sell Trix and/or LGB. Anyway, they need money and they need it quick.
Regards Charles
Offline Goofy  
#55 Posted : 05 August 2008 11:23:39(UTC)
Goofy

WHAT....????

To selling Trix-company,just to created a new CST2...???

Goofy confused
H0
Offline tekin65  
#56 Posted : 05 August 2008 12:08:51(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Why not selling shares instead of selling parts of the company?
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline David Dewar  
#57 Posted : 05 August 2008 14:03:41(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Cem. M is not a public company but in any event I dont see anybody buying shares in a loss making firm with only a small chance of turning things round the way things stand at present. Selling anything they can and reducing the gauges is in my view the best way to go.
A new CS is good to boost sales in particular if it comes with a couple of top class start sets at a reasonable price. Reliabilty is essential now for Marklin more so than DCC as an add on as no matter what they produce there is always somebody who will want something extra.
I expect Cem by the time the new set reaches Turkey and Scotland we will be on to CS 3 !!!

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#58 Posted : 05 August 2008 14:15:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I see the same design crowd has a "video management system" that looks like it could integrate to provide prototypical (modern) cab driving conditions with its upright monitor (feeding image from camera in lok) and joystick. With just a slight rearrangement of the keyboard keys ,add a few pressure dials and .... That would be something ! [:p]

oh well back to reality [B)]
Peter
Offline viragoLDR  
#59 Posted : 05 August 2008 14:22:06(UTC)
viragoLDR

If that's a 3d model rather than a real physical prototype, then they spent an awful lot of time modeling unnecessary details.

If you look closely, there are some dust specks on the bottom left corner, and looking at the keys on the right, on the bottom of the keys, you can clearly see where the buttons used to be on the sprue/mold. No one in their right mind would model something like that, and especially not make it look different for each button.

I'm 99.99% certain it's an actual physical prototype, whether it's functional or not, or whether it even has any internal hardware however is questionable.

That said, I like the look of the new thing, and in a way it would make sense if they add DCC to the thing. Manufacturing only 1 machine that can mfx, mm, dcc and selectrix is cheaper than manufacturing 2 more specific machines.
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline tekin65  
#60 Posted : 05 August 2008 14:40:34(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Hi Cem. M is not a public company but in any event I dont see anybody buying shares in a loss making firm with only a small chance of turning things round the way things stand at present. Selling anything they can and reducing the gauges is in my view the best way to go.

Dave hi,

I knew you'd respond! biggrin

You're right any person in his right mind wouldn't buy shares of a loss making firm. But I guess I would buy some even for its romantic value Smile

Anyway, I think a CS with DCC capabilities + computer connectivity + some ports for additional MSs makes a lot of sense at least for me.

In Turkey those stuff rarely sells in shops and if they do, with an amazing price tag, so we have to buy them off eBay or at dealers in Europe.

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline grr_1954  
#61 Posted : 05 August 2008 16:33:23(UTC)
grr_1954

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:

Goofy said:

I don´t think you have right here...!

Because,there is 5 things we must keep in remaind:
1.It cost money by created this product.
2.Designercompany must have an license,by created and using Marklins CS by expanding it.You can´t do that without an license.
3.It´s real prototyp CST2 in fully function,not computer generated prototyp...!
4.Marklin did(?)contact designercompany by created an new CS prototyp.
5.This designercompany must leaving the CS to Marklin,if not less Marklin and designercompany did make an decides by only presentation CST2 as an show-prototyp...?

Hello,

Perhaps, because my poor english, I don't have expressed clearly, but I said that it can be a computer generated image, but as part of an oficial Märklin developement.
I think that the thing is far to go to the shops (or not?), but I'm sure that is a Märklin project.

Best regards,

Gerardo Rivero,
San Fernando, Cádiz, Spain.
Offline Goofy  
#62 Posted : 05 August 2008 16:36:04(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by viragoLDR
<br />If that's a 3d model rather than a real physical prototype, then they spent an awful lot of time modeling unnecessary details.

If you look closely, there are some dust specks on the bottom left corner, and looking at the keys on the right, on the bottom of the keys, you can clearly see where the buttons used to be on the sprue/mold. No one in their right mind would model something like that, and especially not make it look different for each button.

I'm 99.99% certain it's an actual physical prototype, whether it's functional or not, or whether it even has any internal hardware however is questionable.

That said, I like the look of the new thing, and in a way it would make sense if they add DCC to the thing. Manufacturing only 1 machine that can mfx, mm, dcc and selectrix is cheaper than manufacturing 2 more specific machines.

Sorry mate...!

You have wrong...!

It´s actuelly 100% functional CST2,not physical prototyp.

Because,they are presentation CST2 in fully function via message of words.

Goofy
H0
Offline pa-pauls  
#63 Posted : 05 August 2008 17:10:51(UTC)
pa-pauls

IF it will be a new CS or not we must wait and see but if there would be desided
to make one my guess is that it will be next year for the 150 years anniversary wink
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline dntower85  
#64 Posted : 05 August 2008 17:18:46(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
<br />If that's a 3d model rather than a real physical prototype, then they spent an awful lot of time modeling unnecessary details.

I'm 49.99% certain its not 3D, all you have to do is take the solid models from the cad program from the design engineers, drop it in to you favorite 3d animation program at materials and textures, lights and then render in a high end render looks like V-ray or Final-Render. And bingo, it looks like it is real. I do this daily. Plastic parts are also easy to render to get a realistic result. Its either a very good studio that the model was photographed in because I see no reflections of the environment or its 3d.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline dntower85  
#65 Posted : 05 August 2008 17:41:21(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
here is a link to the design studio

http://www.imago-design.de/english/index_e.htm
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline viragoLDR  
#66 Posted : 05 August 2008 17:52:08(UTC)
viragoLDR

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Goofy
<br />
Quote:

Sorry mate...!

You have wrong...!

It´s actuelly 100% functional CST2,not physical prototyp.

Because,they are presentation CST2 in fully function via message of words.

Goofy

If it was a 100% functional model, Marklin would've officially announced it by now, there would be no reason not to. As it is, they haven't announced anything, which I believe means the thing is just not ready to be released.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I'm 49.99% certain its not 3D, all you have to do is take the solid models from the cad program from the design engineers, drop it in to you favorite 3d animation program at materials and textures, lights and then render in a high end render looks like V-ray or Final-Render. And bingo, it looks like it is real. I do this daily. Plastic parts are also easy to render to get a realistic result. Its either a very good studio that the model was photographed in because I see no reflections of the environment or its 3d.

I've worked several years doing professional product 3d modeling, including concept modeling. Not a single customer ever wanted dust and irregularities on their products.

Currently I work at a company where we do product photography, we have a homebuilt, cheap studio (albeit with expensive equipment), and taking pictures without reflections is something we do on a daily basis. In fact, I can take pictures without reflections at home using a point & shoot camera and rather simple device that costs maybe 100 USD.
- Martijn
Offline Goofy  
#67 Posted : 05 August 2008 19:35:18(UTC)
Goofy

It´s not necessary from Marklin by saying:"It´s now a new CST2...!"

It´s designcompany who are saying:Fully functional CST2

Now it´s up to Marklin by presentation later,IF CST2 will become an product to customer.

Goofy Cool
H0
Offline LokLok  
#68 Posted : 05 August 2008 22:39:46(UTC)
LokLok

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Minibahn
<br />Hello,
have a look :
http://en.red-dot.org/2818+M59877f33677.html

KarlHeinz,

Thanks, interesting development if the unit will ever hit the market.

Question is of course, will the rest of the "sytem" also be updated with new functionality?
And what is the price of the new unit? [:(]

Next year Marklin exists 150 years. Good time to sell the company again? Good time to announce something spectecular new? Good time to finally announce a complete digital control system!

Professional model-railroads are mushrooming now adays but only a few apply Marklin gear. Hope M can turn the tide.
Offline DasBert33  
#69 Posted : 05 August 2008 22:51:40(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
According to a nice post on stummi.de the conditions for the red dot design award are that the product must already be sold or in series production before 01.07.2008 to be considered for the award. It is also tested for functionality and ergonimics etc so it means the CS2 is already up and running.

This can only mean it will be available this fall or at least before christmas.

Bert
Offline plavnostruev  
#70 Posted : 06 August 2008 00:27:10(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DasBert33
<br />According to a nice post on stummi.de the conditions for the red dot design award are that the product must already be sold or in series production before 01.07.2008 to be considered for the award. It is also tested for functionality and ergonimics etc so it means the CS2 is already up and running.

Bert

I certainly hope so. My bet, though, is Nuremberg Toy Fair in February. Viessmann Commander ripped all the awards in 2007 but it
did not become a real product until early this year...

Mike
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#71 Posted : 06 August 2008 00:29:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />I see the same design crowd has a "video management system" that looks like it could integrate to provide prototypical (modern) cab driving conditions with its upright monitor (feeding image from camera in lok) and joystick. With just a slight rearrangement of the keyboard keys ,add a few pressure dials and .... That would be something ! [:p]

oh well back to reality [B)]

That would go well in the ICE 3000!!

(For those of you who do not know what an ICE 3000 is, read this thread: https://www.marklin-user...amp;SearchTerms=ICE,3000 )
Offline Goofy  
#72 Posted : 06 August 2008 10:37:57(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DasBert33
<br />According to a nice post on stummi.de the conditions for the red dot design award are that the product must already be sold or in series production before 01.07.2008 to be considered for the award. It is also tested for functionality and ergonimics etc so it means the CS2 is already up and running.

Bert

I certainly hope so. My bet, though, is Nuremberg Toy Fair in February. Viessmann Commander ripped all the awards in 2007 but it
did not become a real product until early this year...

Mike

You mean 2008...?

Viessmann Commander did get an awards 2008.

Goofy
H0
Offline Goofy  
#73 Posted : 06 August 2008 10:39:59(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
As it is, they haven't announced anything, which I believe means the thing is just not ready to be released.

100 Points! It's really that easy just by thinking a bit! wink

There is just a problem:
What about IF Marklin are involment...?

Goofy
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#74 Posted : 06 August 2008 10:59:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />My biggest question is 'Why'??

Hey,

Why not? Micro$oft have been selling us NT for how many years now? biggrin

Seriously, first impression I got is that it looks more robust, and much nicer than the CS. But after all, I'd like DCC support more than anything else, so it looks like ECoS would still remain #1 in my wishlist.

Cem.

Yep sure have and where has that got them (Microsloth)? Massive consumer resistance to the latest version of Windows, features that nobody wants, applications and driver sets that either don't work or are not backward compatible with older products.

There's a message for Märklin in there somewhere.

If Märklin intend to release the CST2 anytime soon (and that is not a given, since they have not even announced the product yet) I think it will be a case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' - same software features in a new fancy box.

Personally, I think Märklin would be better off fixing the issues and completing the current Systems hardware rather than racing off spending money they don't have developing some new device that may or may not work.

Far better to stabilise the current platform, establish a good revenue stream, and then worry about developing new product. Unfortunately because Märklin has made such a mess of implementing Systems, they may well be in a situation where they have to throw new product at the market in order to stop the ship from sinking.

Most of this of course is speculation and should be taken as such, but it's my 2 cents (or euros) worth!
Offline viragoLDR  
#75 Posted : 06 August 2008 12:29:42(UTC)
viragoLDR

The "why?" can actually be answered quite easily, depending on the situation.

If Marking and ESU no longer want to work together, Marklin will have to go elsewhere for their CS. It's not a given that ESU is willing to give Marklin everything needed for them to continue production elsewhere. If that's the case, there's no reason not to come up with a design that's more pleasing for the computer game generation. (I showed a picture of the new CS to a friend who's not into trains at all, his first comment was that the new CS looked like a handheld game console)

Another reason could be that the hardware in the original is no longer available. CPU's and touch screen panels don't get manufactured for very long times, and other companies may have bought up all the existing stock of a certain component in the current CS. In this case again there'd be no reason not to release a completely new version.
- Martijn
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#76 Posted : 06 August 2008 16:01:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I know that viragoLDR, you are about the 3rd person in this thread to make those points. Leaving the hardware availability issue and the ESU relationship issue aside, it still does not make any sense to me to be rushing off and developing new product, with all its attendant bugs, etc, when they haven't even sorted the current product range out. Especially if Marklin are in financial difficulties as has been reported in other threads. Best thing to do is sort the current product range out, get some decent management running the company, sort their manufacturing base out, and get some decent input of capital.
Offline RayF  
#77 Posted : 06 August 2008 16:54:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It could be that the only way to "sort out" the current product is to develop a new one. This might be forced on Marklin if their production deal with ESU is all tied up in knots. Remember that part of the development of the CS2 would be to improve on the shortcomings of its predecesor, so a new model is not incompatible with product development.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline viragoLDR  
#78 Posted : 06 August 2008 18:41:34(UTC)
viragoLDR

Could be developing a new one was actually cheaper than fixing the old one. Again, it depends on the relationship with ESU and other factors.

It might not make sense developing a new CS if you leave out hardware and ESU issues, but then again, what's the point of developing new cars if you leave out issues like security, comfort and the environment ;)

I have to say though, if the new one supports DCC (and maybe selectrix), I'll get one. If they come up with a specific DCC/selectrix version, I may consider that one over the commander. Good thing I'm not in a hurry getting a new system, as the Lenz stuff works just fine for DCC ;)
- Martijn
Offline mbarreto  
#79 Posted : 07 August 2008 00:21:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I hope the new central station supports DCC! I will not stop buy some Brawa loks because there is no DCC support on the Central Station.
The design really looks great.
Relative to the Trix Central Station that i never saw and it is ready to support DCC, does it supports MFX and Motorola (in case it exists :) )?
I have great expectations on this new Marklin product! (Marklin, please don´t disappoint us).
Regards,

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Goofy  
#80 Posted : 07 August 2008 01:28:56(UTC)
Goofy

Don´t been afraid...!

Soon or later will Marklin become more realism to see the truth inside of digitalmarket...!

Goofy
H0
Offline 60904  
#81 Posted : 07 August 2008 01:40:19(UTC)

Germany   
I have got information that the thing is real. Sorry can't tell you more at the moment.
Greetings
Martin
Offline jeehring  
#82 Posted : 07 August 2008 02:06:46(UTC)
jeehring

As a train player , DCC doesn't bring me anything concrete or tangible comparing to MFX .
I even do prefer MFX . Above all I do appreciate factory installed electronics with automatic recognition of the Loks .
I like three rails system . And DCC world is two rails .
As it's has been explained to me from a technical point of view , as a protocole MFX is a good one .Faster than DCC .
One protocole is enough for me + compatibilities with old rolling stock . Waiting for converting them in MFX , one day , slowly , one by one...to play in a single electronical environment..

I find CST2 has good looking . I do like the design : soft , serious , attractive ,...
Optically , I find the design of Commander : young & agressive ( a little bit ), of Ecos :pompous and pretentious ( silver keys on black color box, ...) , of CS1 : kitsch ( James Bond style . it was really kitsch from the beginning , quite unique in the world of ecent electronic devices )Only my personnal taste...[:I]
Offline mmervine  
#83 Posted : 07 August 2008 04:09:12(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
It is nice to see continued development of these systems. From the pictures, it does seem to be an ergonomic improvement. The only downside that I see is that there may not be further updates or development on the existing CS. On the other hand, this may make the CS1 more affordable as some are sure to trade theirs in on the CS2.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline DaleSchultz  
#84 Posted : 07 August 2008 04:38:41(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
&gt;As a train player , DCC doesn't bring me anything concrete or tangible comparing to MFX .

...apart from a huge selection of decoders with competitive prices and tremendous flexibility.

&gt;I even do prefer MFX . Above all I do appreciate factory installed electronics with automatic recognition of the Loks .

...even if it takes some minutes to recognise them... ? OK.

&gt;I like three rails system .

me too

&gt;And DCC world is two rails .

utter nonsense. The arrangement of the electrical path to the loco makes no difference. Electricity runs in circuits.

&gt;As it's has been explained to me from a technical point of view , as a protocole MFX is a good one. Faster than DCC.

can you explain any of the technical stuff ?

&gt; One protocole is enough for me + compatibilities with old rolling stock . Waiting for converting them in MFX , one day , slowly , one by one...to play in a single electronical environment..

so if its compatible, why do you have to upgrade then ? The time spent installing a decoder that has the sole purpose of identifying the loco will far exceed the time 'saved'.

&gt;I find CST2 has good looking . I do like the design : soft , serious , attractive ,...

me too. But I would not buy it without knowing what it can and cannot do.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#85 Posted : 07 August 2008 04:44:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />I have got information that the thing is real. Sorry can't tell you more at the moment.

Duh, we know its real, we've seen a picture of it.....and it has won a 'red dot' award!
Offline jeehring  
#86 Posted : 07 August 2008 07:02:48(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />&gt;As a train player , DCC doesn't bring me anything concrete or tangible comparing to MFX .

...apart from a huge selection of decoders with competitive prices and tremendous flexibility.

Flexibility for a piece of electronique ? No interest for me .As a MRR enthusiast :what for ?

&gt;I even do prefer MFX . Above all I do appreciate factory installed electronics with automatic recognition of the Loks .

...even if it takes some minutes to recognise them... ? OK.
Yes .
And :this could be improved one day

&gt;I like three rails system .

me too

&gt;And DCC world is two rails .

utter nonsense. The arrangement of the electrical path to the loco makes no difference. Electricity runs in circuits.

I know . But in MRR market DCC is two rails .And as a protocole it doesn't do more than MFX ; A protocole is only a protocole .Also not 100% items are compatible 2rails/3rails

&gt;As it's has been explained to me from a technical point of view , as a protocole MFX is a good one. Faster than DCC.

can you explain any of the technical stuff ?
Me : certainly not !Smile But I trust the one who gave me this point of view . I can only talk about the behaviour of MFX loks . if Some problems has been reported here : never a matter of protocole . But a matter of electronics concept & construction within particular circumstances etc...

&gt; One protocole is enough for me + compatibilities with old rolling stock . Waiting for converting them in MFX , one day , slowly , one by one...to play in a single electronical environment..

so if its compatible, why do you have to upgrade then ? The time spent installing a decoder that has the sole purpose of identifying the loco will far exceed the time 'saved'.
Upgrade them : to roll in a single protocole environment if more specific devloppements & improvements in driving MRR are coming . Time goes by . biggrinAlso to obtain better conditions in avoiding deterioration of data transmission speed .Also for selfish personnal preference : I believe that using one protocole is smarter than using two or several protocoles at the same time .not a priority .

Offline Goofy  
#87 Posted : 07 August 2008 11:27:15(UTC)
Goofy

In Marklin market to see DCC as 2 rails...?

No No No...!

It´s wrong...!

Because you can using for exemple Lenz digitalsystem in the 3 rails too,but instead only using DCC locodecoder in 3 rail locomotivs who has interplugs(schnittstelle).

So why shouldn´t Marklin this time created the new CST2 both with Mfx and DCC protocool...?

Goofy
H0
Offline Goofy  
#88 Posted : 07 August 2008 11:30:52(UTC)
Goofy

But the designcompany did only presentation MM and with Mfx on the CST2.

If i´m thinking right,Trix will also have CST2 in same style of the shape.

Goofy
H0
Offline clapcott  
#89 Posted : 07 August 2008 12:05:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Apparently some words from Maerklin are with dealers. Reference to "once again" using own development and own technicians

see http://www.toottoot.co.nz
Peter
Offline Goofy  
#90 Posted : 07 August 2008 12:18:18(UTC)
Goofy

You see...biggrin

I was right,but it´s not over yet...wink

Goofy
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#91 Posted : 07 August 2008 13:51:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
From Dion's website:

"Marklin says...

The rumor has been going through the market for a while that Märklin is developing a new Central Station. We can confirm this rumor. We are currently working on the development of a new digital central controller that will represent a new milestone in the area of digital model railroad control. We are proud of the fact that we have already won the famous Red Dot Design Award before the introduction to the market of this product.

We are once again doing our own development with our own technicians in Göppingen, and this represents the first stop into the new generation of Märklin Digital.

We will inform you in due time about additional details about this product. The anticipation will be worth the wait!"

I guess this is the information that 60904 is referring to!

Better start saving your pennies now Boys and Girls!
Offline fvri  
#92 Posted : 07 August 2008 14:38:41(UTC)
fvri

Ok.

M's marketing office is already working fine, lets hope the content of the box is as good as the outside.wink At least they can not say we didn't knew what our 'critical' customers [:I] wanted if they have read this forum and probably many other MR forums.

Frank
Offline kimballthurlow  
#93 Posted : 07 August 2008 14:55:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Roland,
You make a lot of sense.
Marklin have a history of selling more model trains than anyone else on the planet (except Lionel??). The CS2 will surely satisfy 99.8% of modellers who like Marklin.
DCC can rest on its own laurels.
I use both DCC (at Club layout) and Marklin Digital (at home).
For home use, the Marklin system (track, signal, system, reliability) is way better.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Roger E  
#94 Posted : 07 August 2008 22:13:03(UTC)
Roger E

One more point on DCC: if DCC is supported the market potential for the CST2 will be significantly increased. A number of people in this thread alone have already stated that the CST2 is interesting only if it supports DCC. Further, if Märklin manage to make the CST2 as good or better than competing products it may even appeal to many non-Märklin modelers.

Maybe even more important is that if DCC is supported it will indicate a new direction from Märklin - kind of that they have pulled up their blinds a bit and acknowledged that it is more important to do business than to always push their proprietary stuff.

-Roger
Offline David Dewar  
#95 Posted : 07 August 2008 22:32:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Roger I do take your point that DCC compatible could sell more of the new CS but I am not sure it will be many more. As has been said DCC users are nearly all two railers and have little interest in M. Those who use both have the IB and most dont like the CS anyway so will stick with their IB.
DCC gives cheaper decoders but again newbies coming into the market (in particular if kids) dont need the confusion of two systems.
Any extra profit made from selling a few more CS may well be lost on M decoders not selling as many.
Marklin must get this new CS right first time and if they do then it should sell well and I expect many CS users here who have had their stuff for a few years may well buy the new model. (Just dont sell the old one and keep it as a backup)

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#96 Posted : 08 August 2008 00:07:10(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Which DCC version do you guys propose ?? !!!!
What about royalties ?

Specifically, there are at least 2 camps on the bidirectional DCC subject, and how (will/well) is this to interoperate with mFX (old or new)
The Intellibox was able to support core DCC with motorola but was unidirectional.
If an mFX controller came out offering unidirectional core DCC it may capture some interest but would be against the mission for PnP. i.e. backward/incomplete

If Anyone states they can do DCC they have to be clear on this or they will be opening the floodgates to unrelated support calls - i.e. wasted effort/resource!

I would far rather see a complete focused end to end system/solution than to waste resource spreading a wide net from day one and not getting anywhere.

If it wasn't for the electrical noise around the layout I would see something like a bluetooth solution being a better option. With small interface chips to the various decoder types for backward compatibility ANY decoder could be integrated.

Peter
Offline DaleSchultz  
#97 Posted : 08 August 2008 00:27:39(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
and what data would you like to see in the direction back to the controller ?
some things that would be useful:
1) loco is in contact with rail (ping)
2) decoder is overheating

Things with no logical use for home layouts
3) current speed - controller already knows that
4) virtual address (for address resolution) - already been discussed ad nauseum
5) current address - controller already knows that
6) Function status - controller already knows that
7) Current location - implies additional complex location awareness mechanisms - we already have a simpler and robust system
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Minibahn  
#98 Posted : 08 August 2008 19:01:11(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

have a look to the Marklin Homepage for Netherland.

Here translated by Google. Scroll down :

http://tinyurl.com/6y2nqc
Regards Charles
Offline fvri  
#99 Posted : 08 August 2008 19:24:24(UTC)
fvri

Hi,

Yes those 'gently' gents from Marklin Netherlands[}:)] don't want to give me support for the current CS regarding the PC Interface protocol and LocCommander. That explains one and another.
But this big 'rumor' regarding the CS2 I heard already 2 months ago from my dealer so no big news! Thanks M Holland!

Cheers,
Frank
Offline ulf999  
#100 Posted : 08 August 2008 20:21:10(UTC)
ulf999

hm, I was sure I'd go IB. But IF the new CS has dcc support, I'll have to reconsider my future path...[B)]
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/