Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<34567>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#201 Posted : 19 January 2023 20:49:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: nomad777 Go to Quoted Post
hello, does anyone know if the body of the US diesel locomotive is made of metal as the legend is not very clear? thanks.

Under features it lists "metal frame and mostly locomotive body". So I assume that just some details are plastic as usual.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#202 Posted : 19 January 2023 21:23:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
hello, does anyone know if the body of the US diesel locomotive is made of metal as the legend is not very clear? thanks.

Well the 38440 product page has an indication in the first icon at the top of the page which says "metal frame and mostly locomotive body" so the cab area is probably plastic but the long hood metal would be my take on that.

Offline Minok  
#203 Posted : 19 January 2023 21:36:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The icon is the loco that’s all black bottom and top except for the cab is white. Per legend that means that some of the upper parts on the chassis may be plastic but the majority is metal and so I’d assume the upper chassis body is metal.
Things like railings and other bits on the chassis Mille the window extensions and some roof bit are likely plastic.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline nomad777  
#204 Posted : 19 January 2023 21:54:06(UTC)
nomad777

United Kingdom   
thanks for the reply hopefully the body is metal considering the price and i dont really like a plastic model.
Offline MarcelV  
#205 Posted : 19 January 2023 22:23:41(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
thanks for the reply hopefully the body is metal considering the price and i dont really like a plastic model.

Looks like it has a mostly metal body based on the specifications at one of the US dealer site:
5780DFBE-53C8-49A8-B033-86A9ED640BA0.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MarcelV
Offline nomad777  
#206 Posted : 20 January 2023 13:15:03(UTC)
nomad777

United Kingdom   
apparently marklin is using the tooling from broadway limited to produce these two US models but the BLI is made of plastic so is it even possible to use the same tooling from plastic to metal, perhaps someone here has knowledge how injection moulding works.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nomad777
Offline H0  
#207 Posted : 20 January 2023 13:38:05(UTC)
H0

apparently marklin is using the tooling from broadway limited to produce these two US models
How do you know?
Item description reads "Completely new tooling".

But the "handmade sample" could be a BLI model. In the past they showed us Roco locos and rolling stock as "handmade samples".
The real model could look different.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#208 Posted : 20 January 2023 13:53:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Maybe they used exhisting blueprints from Broadway ltd. is all? Not necessarily aquired casting dies from them. Or maybe they entire model is from them, and rebranded, ans set up for 3rail. It's not as if M has to adapt the frame to accept the old type of motors. It's a can motor, same as Broadway uses. Different decoder, lighting features and sound project makes it uniqe.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Alsterstreek  
#209 Posted : 20 January 2023 14:02:15(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
An Austrian member of the German Stummiforum asked BLI about the similarity between their models and the Mätrix models (UP FEF and GE ES44AC) and got the following answer on January 19:

"We leased our tooling to Marklin for those two projects. They use different electronics.“

Source (with screenshot of the English BLI reply): https://www.stummiforum....n-Trix-H.html#msg2509713
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline H0  
#210 Posted : 20 January 2023 14:21:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
An Austrian member of the German Stummiforum asked BLI about the similarity between their models and the Mätrix models (UP FEF and GE ES44AC) and got the following answer on January 19:

"We leased our tooling to Marklin for those two projects. They use different electronics.“
Interesting to learn what "completely new tooling" in the Märklin brochure actually means: "old moulds appearing in the Märklin brochure for the first time".

Sometimes they disclose co-operations, sometimes they don't. In this case they don't.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#211 Posted : 20 January 2023 15:03:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Knowing about the BLI tooling is interesting and that may change my decision to buy those GE Diesels.

I was very disappointed with my UP 844 FEF, which IMO is not up to normal Märklin standards, and now I understand why. I had assumed that the 844 would be similar to the Challenger locos, which are quite nice, but it lacks the same level of detailing. The front truck swivels far too easily and unless you hold it in place when handling, it turns 180 degrees, which causes running issues. The trailing truck is poorly designed and does not fill the space below the firebox as it does in the prototype. There are many other small details which do not meet what I think of as Märklin standards. If I had been able to examine the 844 before ordering I would have passed on it.

Tom makes a good point about "completely new tooling". It seems to just mean new to Märklin and not new tooling from them or done to their normal standards. Of course the Challenger was not really designed or made by Märklin, but at least it was done to a higher standard.

As Märklin becomes a reseller of models from other companies you should no longer assume a level of quality of tooling commensurate with their other products.

Buyer beware.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline bph  
#212 Posted : 20 January 2023 15:06:20(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Interesting to learn what "completely new tooling" in the Märklin brochure actually means: "old moulds appearing in the Märklin brochure for the first time".

Sometimes they disclose co-operations, sometimes they don't. In this case they don't.

would not be surprised if Märklin and BLI use the same factory in the far east, and that makes cooperation easier.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline bph  
#213 Posted : 20 January 2023 15:16:05(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Knowing about the BLI tooling is interesting and that may change my decision to buy those GE Diesels.

I was very disappointed with my UP 844 FEF, which IMO is not up to normal Märklin standards, and now I understand why. I had assumed that the 844 would be similar to the Challenger locos, which are quite nice, but it lacks the same level of detailing. The front truck swivels far too easily and unless you hold it in place when handling, it turns 180 degrees, which causes running issues. The trailing truck is poorly designed and does not fill the space below the firebox as it does in the prototype. There are many other small details which do not meet what I think of as Märklin standards. If I had been able to examine the 844 before ordering I would have passed on it.

Tom makes a good point about "completely new tooling". It seems to just mean new to Märklin and not new tooling from them or done to their normal standards. Of course the Challenger was not really designed or made by Märklin, but at least it was done to a higher standard.

As Märklin becomes a reseller of models from other companies you should no longer assume a level of quality of tooling commensurate with their other products.

Buyer beware.

Have you looked at the exploded drawing of the BLI and Marklin challengers? they are almost identical. so I would say they most likely cooperated on that one also.....
Offline dickinsonj  
#214 Posted : 20 January 2023 15:35:52(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Have you looked at the exploded drawing of the BLI and Marklin challengers? they are almost identical. so I would say they most likely cooperated on that one also.....

Interesting. I have no experience with BLI models, so I don't know what to expect.

The UP 844 FEF was obviously done on a budget with less attention to detail than the Challenger. Is that true for the GE diesels as well?

I really don't want to spend almost $1,000 USD to find out.
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#215 Posted : 20 January 2023 16:07:05(UTC)
H0

would not be surprised if Märklin and BLI use the same factory in the far east, and that makes cooperation easier.
We have seen photos of the "Made in China" sticker on the box of the UP 844, so at least we know that the Märklin loco was made in far east.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#216 Posted : 20 January 2023 16:09:54(UTC)
H0

Have you looked at the exploded drawing of the BLI and Marklin challengers? they are almost identical
I hadn't noticed that. But I noticed that my Challenger derails on tracks where the Big Boy runs without problems. C track with a small change of incline.
One would expect that the larger loco is more likely to have problems, but here it is the other way around.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#217 Posted : 20 January 2023 17:21:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
But I noticed that my Challenger derails on tracks where the Big Boy runs without problems.

That brings up another concern. When most Märklin locos were designed and built by Märklin you could generally assume that they would run well on Märklin track. But that is not necessarily the case for models designed by other companies.

@Foumaro reported that an MTH ES44 was not compatible with Märklin turnouts and hit the lanterns. I'm not sure that we can assume that a BLI ES44 will be fully compatible with Märklin track either. That might also explain why they don't state a minimum radius. At this point Märklin may not even know what the minimum radius might be for these locos.

A great discussion and it shows the value of this forum. I believe that it might have saved me the cost of two expensive locos and two sets of hopper cars. ThumpUp

Now I wonder who designed and made those lovely Edelweiß coaches that I want as well.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline bph  
#218 Posted : 20 January 2023 18:06:16(UTC)
bph

Norway   
But I noticed that my Challenger derails on tracks where the Big Boy runs without problems.

That brings up another concern. When most Märklin locos were designed and built by Märklin you could generally assume that they would run well on Märklin track. But that is not necessarily the case for models designed by other companies.

@Foumaro reported that an MTH ES44 was not compatible with Märklin turnouts and hit the lanterns. I'm not sure that we can assume that a BLI ES44 will be fully compatible with Märklin track either. That might also explain why they don't state a minimum radius. At this point Märklin may not even know what the minimum radius might be for these locos.

A great discussion and it shows the value of this forum. I believe that it might have saved me the cost of two expensive locos and two sets of hopper cars. ThumpUp

Now I wonder who designed and made those lovely Edelweiß coaches that I want as well.

the Cargo Net version of the Marklin class 66 also has some "issues" on the 39063 product page the snow plough is quite nice, but the ones delivered on the locomotive, they have been cut out to make it more compatible with lanterns etc, like in pictures of the 39068. there was an extra set of vitrine ploughs included but they limit the movement of the coupler.
it's not a problem for me as I use the vitrine one in the "front" and the cut-out in the rear. and prototypically it was also almost always driven with one end in front and turned around on turntables.

it will be interesting to take a look at the Marklin ES44 exploded drawings when they are released.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#219 Posted : 20 January 2023 23:00:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Everybody is getting in on the act now.

Viessmann-Kibri-Vollmer 2023 New Items is out. Looks like a considerable increase in Car-Motion items (although they are all trucks) and some nice buildings from Kibri.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Marius in Africa  
#220 Posted : 21 January 2023 14:04:06(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   

The cooperation between of two or more manufacturers is nothing new, the business world is controlled by accountants, enough said!
I had a look at BLI's webpage, they recommend / advise a minimum operating radius of 18" (457 mm).
https://www.broadway-limited.com

If Marklin do not release a "three rail" version of this loco, who else is going to do it?
I will trust Marklin on this one, my reservations for the locomotives and hopper cars have been placed.

Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline Unholz  
#221 Posted : 21 January 2023 16:52:38(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread, but I have a similar question:

Has anybody in the United States already received the new Märklin model (39360) of the SBB Ae 3/6 I and can report whether there is a "Made in China" label on the box?

The reason for my question is that a couple of people whose model has arrived are very disappointed with the strange "look and feel" of this model. The underframe seems to be made of a cheapish kind of plastic (especially the grossly oversized headlamps), and the body apparently features a thin kind of metal not typical for true Märklin HO locomotives.

In the recent past we have seen many new items from Märklin that don't seem to be up to previous Märklin standards, so I would not be surprised if this one too is the result of a cost-cutting co-operation.

Sorry in case I missed a possible thread already created about the new Ae 3/6 I.

Thank you for any relevant information.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#222 Posted : 21 January 2023 20:11:40(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I KNEW that 844 coming out from both Marklin and BLI at the same time had to be more than a coincidence.... That is a mystery solved

For what its worth- I have had lovely experiences with (DC) BLI models. Yes, not as "robust" as marklin, but great models and their customer service is the best I've ever encountered in the model railroad world....

Edited by user 22 January 2023 19:23:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline danmarklinman  
#223 Posted : 21 January 2023 21:13:40(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Everybody is getting in on the act now.

Viessmann-Kibri-Vollmer 2023 New Items is out. Looks like a considerable increase in Car-Motion items (although they are all trucks) and some nice buildings from Kibri.

I like the tankers, I’m not bothered by the more modern trucks. But the MB with the bonnet is much more of the era I’m after. I don’t have any artic trucks so it will be in my Xmas list :-)
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline artfull dodger  
#224 Posted : 23 January 2023 02:48:40(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I am very tempted to preorder the DRG class 120 "Taigatrommel" diesel. Always loved the looks of these and being shorter than the Ludmilla it does not look as strange on smaller radius track. Might force me to move into the digital world again so I can enjoy all its features.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline H0  
#225 Posted : 23 January 2023 09:44:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Has anybody in the United States already received the new Märklin model (39360) of the SBB Ae 3/6 I and can report whether there is a "Made in China" label on the box?
Here's a thread with a collection of pictures showing the "Made in China" stickers:
https://www.marklin-user...klin-made-in-China/page9

39360 is not yet covered there.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rajnish  
#226 Posted : 24 January 2023 05:36:14(UTC)
Rajnish

A very large majority of locomotives that Marklin has sold in the past 2 to 3 years have been made in China including some of the flagship steam locomotives. Dealer invoices clearly show the country of origin of each and every item sold to them by Maerklin.

Best regards,

Rajnish
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rajnish
Offline H0  
#227 Posted : 24 January 2023 09:47:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rajnish Go to Quoted Post
Dealer invoices clearly show the country of origin of each and every item sold to them by Maerklin.
This may be true for dealers outside the EU. I assume dealers in the EU will not see that information. Märklin trust in the good old "ignorance is strength" motto.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#228 Posted : 24 January 2023 13:38:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Marklin #39810 SBB Giruno release date changed to February now.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#229 Posted : 25 January 2023 22:43:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Nigel Packer  
#230 Posted : 26 January 2023 00:12:23(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   

They’re reissuing all of the beautiful Pola Freilassing series, roundhouse, carriage shed, administrative building and signal box. No water tower, though.

Always my favourite series of loco service buildings!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline kiwiAlan  
#231 Posted : 26 January 2023 00:34:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

They’re reissuing all of the beautiful Pola Freilassing series, roundhouse, carriage shed, administrative building and signal box. No water tower, though.

Nigel

Yes, I noticed that, but the signal box seems to be in a different colour scheme to what I remember. I need to check the picture of the previous issue to make sure. I think the roundhouse is also an expanded number of roads - again need to check the one I have.

Not sure I need the wagon repair shop, I have the special annual model they did which I think uses this building.

Offline Nigel Packer  
#232 Posted : 26 January 2023 00:44:45(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Nigel

Yes, I noticed that, but the signal box seems to be in a different colour scheme to what I remember. I need to check the picture of the previous issue to make sure. I think the roundhouse is also an expanded number of roads - again need to check the one I have.

Not sure I need the wagon repair shop, I have the special annual model they did which I think uses this building.

I have original unmade Pola kits of the whole range, so I can show you those sometime to compare! And I have a 12-stall version of the roundhouse on my layout, and also the full carriage shed. No space on the layout to use the other models, signal box, admin building and the wonderful water tower.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline bph  
#233 Posted : 26 January 2023 10:23:06(UTC)
bph

Norway   
What alternative Märklin locomotives could be used to pull the Edelweiss set? (42470). e.g was the Edelweiss train pulled by the 241 in SNCF livery? could the 39241 be used?
I also came across a picture of Belgian class 1?, pulling some CIWL wagons (Nord express?). was the class 1 used on Edelweiss ?. (I notice that 39480 is placed in era 3 around 53/54)
c1.jpg
Perhaps we can expect a CWIL Nord express set in the future from Märklin....... Cool
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#234 Posted : 26 January 2023 11:28:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
What alternative Märklin locomotives could be used to pull the Edelweiss set? (42470). e.g was the Edelweiss train pulled by the 241 in SNCF livery? could the 39241 be used?
I also came across a picture of Belgian class 1?, pulling some CIWL wagons (Nord express?). was the class 1 used on Edelweiss ?. (I notice that 39480 is placed in era 3 around 53/54).....
Perhaps we can expect a CWIL Nord express set in the future from Märklin....... Cool

Hello bph,
Greetings from Australia.
I enjoyed visiting Norway, a place of extremes (mountains, snow, Hurigruten etc) - while Australia is the opposite.

Regarding the Nord Express, I have done some limited research on this and mostly related to available models.
Nord Express model set

Certainly this express on its journey through Denmark was hauled by the E class steam engine.
Märklin released the model in HO only a year ago, model #39491.
Here is a photo of the Cologne portion of the Nord Express taken in 1935 behind a German BR17.
Nord Express BR38

Here is a photo of CIWL Pullman car #4109 in the NOrd Express consist at Padborg, Denmark in 1946.
CIWL 4109 at Padborg 1946

Kimball

Edited by user 26 January 2023 20:36:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#235 Posted : 26 January 2023 13:58:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Here is a photo of the Cologne portion of the Nord Express taken in 1935 behind a German BR38.
Is that BR 17.10-11?
Definitely neither BR 38 nor BR 38.10-40.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Dreadnought  
#236 Posted : 26 January 2023 17:55:14(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I too have ordered this CIWL set. I intend to use my SNCF 241, and my SNCB 1 class. In Germany I think the E 19 or E17 would be a good choice, for steam my 01, if one of the 18 class. Depending on route I wonder if some of the early electrics could pull it in France. I think Calais to Strasbourg was one of the routes to electrified early on.

I recall as a child taking the Golden Arrow to Paris. These were the coaches used. I cannot recall what pulled the train. From Calais likely a Chapelon 231. I think about Amiens it was changed to a BB 9200 class, or something similar. I wonder if an early BB 1200 might work too. In any event, my trains, my rules.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kimballthurlow  
#237 Posted : 26 January 2023 20:36:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Here is a photo of the Cologne portion of the Nord Express taken in 1935 behind a German BR38.
Is that BR 17.10-11?
Definitely neither BR 38 nor BR 38.10-40.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the check.
Definitely my description is incorrect.
I have edited the post.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
bph
Offline dickinsonj  
#238 Posted : 27 January 2023 01:06:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have also ordered the 42470 Edelweiß coach set, primarily to give my SNCF 241 something of its very own to pull. For years now my 241 has sneaked around my layout stealing coaches from other locos, which are not at all amused. BigGrin

I also have an E19 and several nice DRG Class 01s that might have a go at these beautiful coaches.

I have wanted a set of these for years now and by the end of 2023 they should finally be mine. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline foumaro  
#239 Posted : 27 January 2023 11:10:47(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have also ordered the 42470 Edelweiß coach set, primarily to give my SNCF 241 something of its very own to pull. For years now my 241 has sneaked around my layout stealing coaches from other locos, which are not at all amused. BigGrin

I also have an E19 and several nice DRG Class 01s that might have a go at these beautiful coaches.

I have wanted a set of these for years now and by the end of 2023 they should finally be mine. ThumpUp

It is nice to know that i can run the set with era II DRG locomotives,so i have two for this duty,marklin 3769 E19 and marklin 39011 BR 01.ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline bph  
#240 Posted : 27 January 2023 18:51:39(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I also came across a picture of Belgian class 1?, pulling some CIWL wagons (Nord express?). was the class 1 used on Edelweiss ?. (I notice that 39480 is placed in era 3 around 53/54).....

Hello bph,
Greetings from Australia.
I enjoyed visiting Norway, a place of extremes (mountains, snow, Hurigruten etc) - while Australia is the opposite.

Regarding the Nord Express, I have done some limited research on this and mostly related to available models.
Nord Express model set

Certainly this express on its journey through Denmark was hauled by the E class steam engine.
Märklin released the model in HO only a year ago, model #39491.
Here is a photo of the Cologne portion of the Nord Express taken in 1935 behind a German BR17.
Nord Express BR38

Kimball

Thank you Kimbal much appreciated Smile . i was not sure if the E class was used in the nord express but I assumed it was. (and even Wagons-Lits Diffusion has the locomotive in the photo wrong on their pages....)

I did stumble upon this Nord express video after I purchased an E 991, you have probably seen it, but for everyone else here it is (again): https://www.danmarkpaafilm.dk/film/til-danmark-over-de-store-broer note: that the movie was recorded one or two years before the Dsb E class entered service.

Unfortunately, I have not been to Australia, yet..... but it has many interesting (railway)destinations :). (and as a side note: they are about to start a building a big tunnel for Hurtigruten and other ships to use in bad weather.)

So hopefully Marklin will release a Nord express set, and we will then have several locomotive alternatives. eg. the nice DSB E 991,

As far as the Edelweiß, I will probably "assign" it to the sncf 241 39241 or possibly the SNCB class 1. I do have a nice Orient Express set that I use with the 241 today, but that set can also be used together with several german locomotives. I'm not bothered with exact prototypical operations so I might also use it together with an era II BR17.0. etc.
even if the EST Class 13, is verry nice, its quite expensive and also has officially a minimum radius of 437.5 mm, and I try to limit the number of locomotives with that limitation.
The Edelweiß set is also quite expensive, and I wonder how much the licence fee to Wagons-Lits Diffusion is?......

also thanks to: HO,Dreadnought, and dickinsonj

Offline dickinsonj  
#241 Posted : 28 January 2023 01:55:52(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

The Edelweiß set is also quite expensive, and I wonder how much the licence fee to Wagons-Lits Diffusion is?......

I have read that Wagon-Lits exercises strict control over any merchandise bearing their marks and charges a pretty penny as well.

I am just so happy that Marklin is making this set of coaches that I have wanted for years and had given up hoping for. ThumpUp

Now my most beautiful loco will be pulling a gorgeous rake of coaches and making a very special train.

Regards,
Jim

Offline danmarklinman  
#242 Posted : 28 January 2023 09:23:07(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

I have read that Wagon-Lits exercises strict control over any merchandise bearing their marks and charges a pretty penny as well.

I am just so happy that Marklin is making this set of coaches that I have wanted for years and had given up hoping for. ThumpUp

Now my most beautiful loco will be pulling a gorgeous rake of coaches and making a very special train.

It does look very nice. But I’m going to wait for some blue sleeping cars from them. I wondered for years, why they had not done these in Ho.As they did them in Z!! I have them in Z 🙂
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline bph  
#243 Posted : 28 January 2023 12:08:48(UTC)
bph

Norway   
and they have released a new black 100 VA power pack 60151. I kind of expected an updated 60101 a couple of years ago.

The picture used on the märklin pages shows a 15-19v switch, but it is not mentioned in the description.........

Märklin has now updated the pictures and the german text. the pictures now show a 19v-22v switch.
translated german text: "input 100 to 240 V/50 Hz / output switchable 19 or 22 V/100 W DC."
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#244 Posted : 28 January 2023 14:48:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#245 Posted : 28 January 2023 15:40:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The brochures really are coming thick and fast now, with the Nurnberg show next weekend (starts Thursday IIRC).

Noch New Items (German) with some interesting things in it. I'd like to see the micromotion half pipe skateboard park in operation (November delivery - why does everything have to come so close to Christmas?).

Preiser/Merten figures NI for 2023 includes a figure set of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla. Some other nice figures I will be considering getting.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Donb  
#246 Posted : 28 January 2023 17:52:03(UTC)
Donb

Canada   

Really interested in the Thunder Box Cab controll car #46775 on page 10.
I wonder if this will incorporate a slider? Current conducting couplers?
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline bph  
#247 Posted : 29 January 2023 16:57:55(UTC)
bph

Norway   
There seems to be a gold-plated UP Big Boy coming, locomotive No 4000, and article number 39400.
Could it perhaps be a special celebration model? or eg for those who have been an insider member for 30 years?
currently no further information or if it's partially or fully gold-plated.........
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#248 Posted : 29 January 2023 19:29:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online 5HorizonsRR  
#249 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:13:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, I wasn't sure if this was best left within this thread, or in a solo thread- so my apologies if it should have been broken out.

In light of a few recent discoveries such as Marklin's collaboration with Broadway limited on the UP 844 steamer, do we have any info on the "Edelweiss" cars straight from the source?

Specifically, are they doing these from scratch on their own, or using tooling from a brand such as LS models or Rivarossi?

I don't ask for sport, I'm curious because this is a set I really want to order, but also at a very premium price point. If I opened a box to a set of rivarossi cars with lights added I would be rather infuriated. Conversely, a set of LS Models cars I'd be thrilled with :) And a set of Marklin's own tooling I might wait and see how they turn out before committing to a purchase.

Thanks all!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline kimballthurlow  
#250 Posted : 30 January 2023 01:35:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

I did stumble upon this Nord express video after I purchased an E 991, you have probably seen it, but for everyone else here it is (again): https://www.danmarkpaafilm.dk/film/til-danmark-over-de-store-broer note: that the movie was recorded one or two years before the Dsb E class entered service.

Unfortunately, I have not been to Australia, yet..... but it has many interesting (railway)destinations :). (and as a side note: they are about to start a building a big tunnel for Hurtigruten and other ships to use in bad weather.)

So hopefully Marklin will release a Nord express set, and we will then have several locomotive alternatives. eg. the nice DSB E 991,

As far as the Edelweiß, I will probably "assign" it to the sncf 241 39241 or possibly the SNCB class 1. I do have a nice Orient Express set that I use with the 241 today, but that set can also be used together with several german locomotives. I'm not bothered with exact prototypical operations so I might also use it together with an era II BR17.0. etc.
even if the EST Class 13, is verry nice, its quite expensive and also has officially a minimum radius of 437.5 mm, and I try to limit the number of locomotives with that limitation.

also thanks to: HO,Dreadnought, and dickinsonj

Hello Brian,
Thanks for the link about the Stad Ship Tunnel.
Wow what a great project.

I also viewed the 1937 film about the Nord Express which was very interesting.
The frame of the French loco might be a 2-3-1H, but I will have another look in a darkened room.
The frames featuring the Danish loco appears to be an R class 4-6-0.
(The sunlight here is VERY strong and can interfere with indoor screen viewing).

I like the way you approach using the locomotive/coach sets because there is always a "possible".
I just checked and the 39241 has the same official track radius limitation as the EST 39244.

Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow