Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline roothaan  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2022 17:34:58(UTC)
roothaan

Netherlands   
Hey all,

So I just started with the model train hobby and as my first buy I purchased Starter Set 29074, a Deutsche Bahn locomotive of the third epoch. However, I can't seem to get it to work. When I put my locomotive on the track and turn on the controller nothing happens. There is no mfx logo blinking. The weird thing is that even though the controller says "No Loco" the locomotive did move about half way across the track. I looked up several tutorials on YouTube, but I think something is wrong. Is anyone here familiar with the problem? I hope I can get it to work, to be honest I'm a bit disapointed atm.

Cheers!
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2022 18:14:42(UTC)
Copenhagen

Make sure that the wires from the box are well connected to the track. Also wipe the rails (that the wheel roll on) with some tissue or a piece of cloth. The middle rail, the studs, can be difficult to wipe because they tend to rip paper and cloth apart. Some people use a piece of wood that can be dragged along the studs. Also the pick up shoe on the locomotive can be wiped clean - a bit of alcohol will help (even the metal wheels can be cleaned with alcohol on a cue tip).

The reason that it might help is that over the years in storage, after manufactoring, a thin layer of oil, grease, dust, corrosion or whatever can have settled on the surface of the metal parts thereby hindering electrical connection. Once you get to run the train regularly only a periodical wipe of the tracks should be necessary.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2022 13:25:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Roothaan,

If this is a new Trainset purchased from a Märklin dealer, you should ask the dealer to help you.
And as Copenhagen has suggested, make sure all your wiring is correct and track and wheels are clean.
Although if new in the box the cleaning should not be necessary.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2022 20:22:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: roothaan Go to Quoted Post
There is no mfx logo blinking.
Maybe it blinked two or three times and the loco is now registered.
Try to select a loco from the list to see if the list is empty - maybe there is a BR 74 in the list.
If the list is empty, then try resetting the MS2 to the factory settings and start the search for locos. There are corresponding entries in the MS2 menus.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline roothaan  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2022 09:20:31(UTC)
roothaan

Netherlands   
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your responses. I got the loc to work using some of your suggestions, but I really wasn't happy with it. Last week I bought my second loc (a NS 1600) and I'm sure now that my first loc is broken. I can move it around, but there doesn't seem to be any communication between the loc and the decoder. This set cost me a couple of hundred euro's, which is a lot of money for me. I'm not sure what I am to do now. I bought the loc at Modelbahnshop Lippe.

Thanks again!
Offline Patrik  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2022 15:45:27(UTC)
Patrik

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: roothaan Go to Quoted Post
Last week I bought my second loc (a NS 1600) and I'm sure now that my first loc is broken.

I'm not sure what I am to do now. I bought the loc at Modelbahnshop Lippe.

Get in touch with the dealer and explain what you've concluded, I'm sure the'll sort it out for you.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Patrik
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2022 23:08:41(UTC)
Copenhagen

Isn't the locomotive the same as in the starter set 29721? There was this thread with loco problems here: https://www.marklin-user.../t46696-Stalling-Mystery
It's a long thread to look through but it seems that the problem got solved by cleaning a spring making electrical contact (at the bottom of the locomotive). I'm not suggesting that the problem here is identical. It would seem that the quality of this locomotive is sub par.
So Patrik's advice is worth following.
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2022 23:49:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You will have a receipt from Lippe. Email and tell them the loco is not working and you wish to return it. They should send you a prepaid sheet to attach to a suitable box. However if you have tried to repair yourself and this is obvious then the warranty may not apply.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2022 15:23:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
MSL Lippe are a very good shop BUT:
- they are better on failures (nothing works) and not good on intermittent problems
- a simple call to them and they send you a shipment slipper (so that you don't have to pay anything) to return the failing items)
- you must provide with the failing items, a precise description of what is wrong, preferrably in German (English may be OK)

Be carefull when filling the Customs so to avoid paying duties for a repair
Cheers
Jean
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2022 21:02:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You stated that you bought the loc at Lippe. Are you referring to the Starter Set or to the NS 1600?

The Steam Engine from the Starter Set is supposed to be detected by MFX as 74 584.
The locomotive has the MM (Maerklin Motorola) address of 78.

What happens when you add the locomotive from the database (29074)?
You can also try to set up a new registry for the locomotive using MM with address 78.

It is normal for an analog locomotive to move uncontrolled when placed on a digital layout.
It is possible that there is an issue with the decoder or PC board and it is not recognizing the layout as digital.

As you are in Haarlem, I would take the model to Harlaar in Badhoevedorp. They are one of the top Maerklin dealers in NL.

I would recommend that you bring the locomotive and MS with you on your visit.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 25 September 2022 21:05:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Be carefull when filling the Customs so to avoid paying duties for a repair
Cheers
Jean

I did not know that this was an issue for people within the EC. I thought it might apply for people from UK (Brexit), Switzerland and overseas.

Regards

Mike C

Offline Ranjit  
#12 Posted : 26 September 2022 11:10:07(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Roothaan...

Welcome to the this group !

You are certainly in good hands now ! I am sure you will be able to sort out the problems of your new digital starter set soon.

Happy model railroading !

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney