Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mjamz  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2022 20:28:46(UTC)
mjamz

Canada   
Hi there,

I recently purchased a few 60760 decoders, and I wanted use the “hidden” F3 function. I have run into a few issues:

When I connected the decoder to the locomotive, I got ~12V DC at F3, and every time I pressed the F3 button, the locomotive motor slowed down.

After a few tests, couple of the outputs stayed on and didn’t turn off at all. This included F3 (hidden output) as well as the front light of the locomotive. The motor motor slowed when I pressed F3 button even though the voltage going through the output was always a steady ~12V.

So basically it doesn’t matter what the position of the Function switch is, the front light and the F3 output are always on. And upon pressing the F3 switch, the loco slows down. The rear/ reverse light works fine

Is there a solution to this? Or are the outputs fried? I have done a decoder reset. I am using a CS3+, and I’ve been having difficulty programming locos using that… but that’s a topic for another day!

Thanks.

Regards,
Mihir

Edited by user 16 January 2022 03:09:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Donb  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2022 20:11:42(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
(Post deleted)

Edited by user 18 January 2022 18:04:45(UTC)  | Reason: Post deleted, shouldnt have posted

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2022 11:45:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Don, if you sent the OP some info about resolving the issue at hand it would be better to post it here so that everyone can read it rather than sending a PM and telling everyone that you sent a PM.

There are a few threads on the forum re the 60760 decoder and the undocumented functions have previously been discussed - https://www.marklin-user...locos-with-60760-Decoder

F3 should work without any modifications other than mapping the function with your controller to activate the function.

F1 is a logic level function only and needs a transistor and other components to boost the output to make it suitable for use.

What did you connect to F3 and how did you connect it?
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2022 16:29:19(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Okay good point, I should have put more information as to why I was sending him a PM. He lives not far from me and I was sending my personal contact information so that we could talk trains. I do not have a solution for his problem at this time.
In hindsight I should not have posted that, as I forgot that he will get a message when he logs on that he has mail.

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline mjamz  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2022 10:37:32(UTC)
mjamz

Canada   
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies. I had connected the F3 to the smoke generator “clip” and when I used a voltmeter it read around 12-13V. And every time I pressed the F3 button, the loco slowed down.

Now pressing F3 doesn’t do anything. There is always a constant voltage present at that outlet. The only that that happens when I press F3 is that the locomotive jerks and slows down.

I’m using a CS3+. And what’s meant by mapping a function? I didn’t map anything. I simply pressed the F3 button on the sidebar.
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2022 17:10:45(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: mjamz Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies. I had connected the F3 to the smoke generator “clip” and when I used a voltmeter it read around 12-13V. And every time I pressed the F3 button, the loco slowed down.

Now pressing F3 doesn’t do anything. There is always a constant voltage present at that outlet. The only that that happens when I press F3 is that the locomotive jerks and slows down.

I’m using a CS3+. And what’s meant by mapping a function? I didn’t map anything. I simply pressed the F3 button on the sidebar.

My guess is that you are probably overloading the decoder in some way and the slow down is a decoder self-protection response. This is probably because aux 3 has a lower max consumption limit than normal. I don't have any specific information but I would gees it can handle a maximum of around 50 to 100mA on aux 3. There might even be different versions of the decoder with different levels of amplification.

so one solution is to use an AUX amplifier on AUx 1, as Bigdaddynz suggested. there is more information in the link he provided above.
or in this: https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t32114-Marklin-BR-120--3653----60760-HLA-conversion---Ball-Bearings---Buffer-Capacitor--F1-and-F3-enabled

another solution might be to use a relay on the aux 3 (if it's still working) that are within consumption maximum limits, either a mechanical relay or a photo relay. and connect the smoke generator directly to track voltage.
eg like discussed here:https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t45809-Marklin-39052-BR-05-AUX-3-and-current-conducting-coupler
note that you probably have to adapt the resistor in order to get the correct voltage to the smoke generator.

note that I don't have the specific decoder so I don't have hands-on experience with it. More information about the60760 decoder: https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/digital/decoder-traegerplatinen/fuer-lokomotiven/maerklin/digital/6090x-c90x/6090x-pic/standard-60760#eigenschaften-2

The 60760 is an "old" decoder and does not support mapping, but you can change some CV settings. ref the manual.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph