Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2010 00:22:24(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All,
I have been installing quite a few decoders for a customer, my father and myself the past few weeks. The other day, I placed a Marklin 60760 kit in my father's 3102 borsig. Wiring was done cleanly and correctly, and the locomotive was running fine. The next day, after about a half hour of running the locomotive randomly stopped.

After a lot of diagnostic work, it seems the locomotive will only run forward if the headlights are off. Backwards is fine with or without lights, and forward is just fine without light but the second I turn the light function on it stops.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It is not a short.

Also, here is something I suspect to be related. I was running a smoke unit and front headlight off the same wire. (which is how it was done in analogue) Could I have overloaded something mid running around the layout after an hour's worth of sucessful usage? If so, I'd say I blew the chip but it still works with with that light off.

Help!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2010 01:17:23(UTC)
applor

Australia   
5HorizonsRR wrote:

Also, here is something I suspect to be related. I was running a smoke unit and front headlight off the same wire. (which is how it was done in analogue) Could I have overloaded something mid running around the layout after an hour's worth of sucessful usage? If so, I'd say I blew the chip but it still works with with that light off.

Help!

Yes very much so. You've probably overloaded that circuit and damaged something internally. There is a current limit on the decoder which is in the installation manual.
You can pick up replacement 60760 decoders pretty cheap.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Piggy  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2010 01:57:13(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
In my 3084, I mounted a thin strip of 0.5mm PCB on the string connection to the light/smoke unit. That way I seperated smoke and light. Remember there is an "secret" Aux output on the decoder.

EDIT with link:

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=13444

BTW if there is 2 smoke generators, as I recall there was room for in the Borsig, the current is signeficant.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
Offline tiono  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2010 03:59:28(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Probably the decoder's overload protection kicks in.
It is better to separate the smoke unit and the light, especially if you're using conventional bulb.
Marklin 60760 has two "unofficial" functions, but only one has driver circuit. You can use this one.
Please look at the picture below. It is the solder-side of 60760 pcb board, I have numbered the cable connection points on this photo.
You can connect the smoke unit to pin no. 3, and turn the smoke unit on/off by pressing F3.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline sudibarba  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2010 07:24:28(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Buy ESU decoders. They are cheaper and have options for extra functions.
Eric
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2010 07:43:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. I pulled the bulb and smoke unit, but nothing working. When I hit that light function button the train dies. Any other ideas?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline tiono  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2010 09:41:11(UTC)
tiono

United States   
5HorizonsRR wrote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. I pulled the bulb and smoke unit, but nothing working. When I hit that light function button the train dies. Any other ideas?

Am I correct that the decoder stops instantly at the moment you hit the light button without any load being installed? And the loc will never run if the front-light is set to 'on', even after pressing "Stop" button twice?
If that is correct, and assuming there is no short circuit within the wiring, then it is high chance that there is a defect/damage (short circuit) in the decoder's pcb itself. If you have ohm-meter, compare the output impedance from the decoder between front and rear light.
The other possibility is: corrupted firmware. But this is very rare.