Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<6789>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#351 Posted : 10 January 2022 20:50:07(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
BR 08.jpgBr02.jpgKofferli.jpg
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Hello,
I confirm that Class 02, Class 08, UP 800, Kofferli and and Be 4/6 are all made in China. The quality of these particular models are impressive. I don´t care if they are made in China, I will only care about the quality and durability. My Iphone, ipad, computer, probably half of the parts of my car are made in China and the list goes on...

Regards
Eduardo

Hi!

A user on Fakebook wrote: "New ICE 4 - made in China, UP 800 - made in China, new green Class 1 - made in China, new Class 02 steamer - made in China."
He didn't show any pics.

I must say I am surprised to see the ICE 4 on that list. I did not expect that.
Seeing the other locos on that list is not a surprise to me.

Can any US-based members of this honourable forum confirm these items come with "Made in China" stickers? Pics are welcome.
Did you get other new items from 2020 or 2021 with those "Made in China" stickers?

Another user wrote on Fakebook that the green Class 1 was made in Germany, but didn't provide a picture either. I'm also curious to hear about recent models that came with "Made in Germany" on the box.
The vast majority of Märklin items I received in 2021 had "Made in China" printed on the box.
I'm willing to spend more money on a loco if I know it was made in Germany. But it seems recent products from Far East don't have many quality issues.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline Goofy  
#352 Posted : 10 January 2022 22:41:04(UTC)
Goofy

Made in China with cheap workers payment and later shiped to Europe with hugh prices at least!
Yes good quality but fair prices??
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mike c  
#353 Posted : 10 January 2022 23:05:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Even if an item is assembled at a plant in Europe, most of the parts used in production are made in China.
I have had an increased number of frustrating experiences as the model was delivered with minor technical or aesthetic differences from the original model description.
Recent LS Models produced items arrived with poor paintwork or incorrect livery and questionnable fit of a few parts and it is likely that LS Models and the distributors did not want to go through rejecting a batch for such an issue, but the end result is that the customer is short changed.

I have no issue with Asian manufacturing, but the US or European companies commissioning the models need to have personnel in place to do effective quality control to make sure that flaws are corrected during manufacturing so that they can avoid finding themselves in a position of having to chose between refusing an entire batch or selling a product with minor flaws.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Online dickinsonj  
#354 Posted : 11 January 2022 00:46:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
My ICE4 surprised me with its made in China sticker, because that iconic train seems like something Märklin should do in house.

The UP 800 was also Chinese made, which was not a surprise. Maybe soon all top end Märklin models will be sourced from China, I know most of my recent purchases were. Are all of the Insider models still made in Europe?

I don't have a big problem with it because my Chinese made locos have all been perfect, although made in Göppingen would always be my preference.

If they were more upfront about it I would care a lot less. If the US didn't require country of origin labels we might never know where any of it is made, but we would know where Märklin is located. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline eduard71  
#355 Posted : 11 January 2022 01:28:25(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Made in China with cheap workers payment and later shiped to Europe with hugh prices at least!
Yes good quality but fair prices??

That is the way economy works today. Earnings are for the companies not necessary for the final customer. If you like something different or European made you can choose MicroMetakit and pay the tag, but probably the motor they use are Chinese made unless they use maxoon or something else.
Offline eduard71  
#356 Posted : 11 January 2022 01:38:54(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Even if an item is assembled at a plant in Europe, most of the parts used in production are made in China.
I have had an increased number of frustrating experiences as the model was delivered with minor technical or aesthetic differences from the original model description.
Recent LS Models produced items arrived with poor paintwork or incorrect livery and questionnable fit of a few parts and it is likely that LS Models and the distributors did not want to go through rejecting a batch for such an issue, but the end result is that the customer is short changed.

I have no issue with Asian manufacturing, but the US or European companies commissioning the models need to have personnel in place to do effective quality control to make sure that flaws are corrected during manufacturing so that they can avoid finding themselves in a position of having to chose between refusing an entire batch or selling a product with minor flaws.

Regards

Mike C

Mike,
The problem of the quality can also be seen in European Factories, for example the case of HAG with terrible flows in the paint, or Märklin VT 11.5 blue star edition paint and so on. Quality means control and experience but today we also have computers and robots that can mesure and do quality control. Until now the models I have made in China have a really good manufacturing quality. But again nobody makes claims about an iPhone made in China. actually you can get in China the same quality than any European country you just need to pay for it.
Regards
Eduardo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#357 Posted : 11 January 2022 03:16:10(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
For better or worse, the days when a locomotive was made entirely "in-house" from start to finish, i.e., wheelsets, motors, castings, etc, are quickly becoming a thing of the past. For those models that are in fact assembled in Goeppingen or Gyor, the parts probably come from multiple sources, many located outside Europe. If a manufacturer truly cares about the customer, they'll ensure quality control remains a high priority. I have a few Chinese-made Maerklin products and have had no trouble with them at all... unlike some of my O gauge purchases from another well-known manufacturer -- but that's another topic for another forum ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Online dickinsonj  
#358 Posted : 11 January 2022 03:36:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have only had one Chinese made Märklin loco fail and that was due to the cheap can motor that would have been used wherever it was assembled.

I don't think any company could survive today doing everything in house. What I meant was that I expected an iconic model like the new ICE to have been assembled in Göppingen. But my ICE 4 is perfect and I have no complaints.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mvd71  
#359 Posted : 11 January 2022 06:11:22(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Thanks for letting us know Tom. I won’t buy any Märklin with made in China on it, I pay Märklin prices for a product made in europe
Offline H0  
#360 Posted : 11 January 2022 08:03:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have only had one Chinese made Märklin loco fail and that was due to the cheap can motor that would have been used wherever it was assembled.
Yeah. One of my recent Märklin purchases shows "Made in EU" on the box, but the motor has "Made in China" engraved.
AIUI this loco will get a Made in Hungary sticker for sale in the US as Made in EU is not sufficient there.
So far I had no failures with those motors, but heard from friends that they sometimes fail - and even damage the decoder when they fail.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mr. Ron  
#361 Posted : 11 January 2022 20:38:54(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
If all Marklin products were made exclusively in West Germany, they would price themselves out of the model train market. China is a world player and we have to accept that.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline michelvr  
#362 Posted : 12 January 2022 18:21:16(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: stlcards54 Go to Quoted Post
I just got my 37015 S2/6 model in. Will post pics soon. But box said made in China. I haven't bought Marklin trains in quite awhile. I thought all manufacturing was Germany or Hungary.

To answer the original question, “I thought all manufacturing was Germany or Hungary?”

Are Märklin products again being outsourced and made by someone else? We all know where that’s going to go……………..

That people is the underling question that needs to be answered and only time will tell. My new “Märklin” Class 60 wasn’t cheap and has a sticker on it that says: Made in China. Which begs the question, not again? Like the old saying goes once bitten twice shy?

BTW: I only saw the sticker when I put the box into my storage container. Should I worry?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline marklinist5999  
#363 Posted : 12 January 2022 19:59:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No, I wouldn't worry. A model is as good as Marklin, or other brands design engineers specify the Chinese maker to execute. This was said earlier in an above post, I believe by Mr. Ron.
An example is my Christmas gift from our kids. While Jagerndorfer is in Pottenstein Austria, my Sallbach Kohlmeisbahn sielbahn cable car ski lift set is nothing short of amazing.
It is highly detailed, operates smoothly, and has an ESU M4 (mfx) function and sound decoder. This is a pricey item too. It has l.e.d station lighting with flourescent flashing upon power up. The mast rollers and gondola bodies are metal, and can be opened up to insert seated figures. Sound functions total 12 including start siren, motor, bell, fans, radio, comm. prompt, mast rollers, two warning announcements, doors opening, closing, and an emergency power failure diesel engine/generator
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kiwiAlan  
#364 Posted : 12 January 2022 21:33:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
I just got my 37015 S2/6 model in. Will post pics soon. But box said made in China. I haven't bought Marklin trains in quite awhile. I thought all manufacturing was Germany or Hungary.

To answer the original question, “I thought all manufacturing was Germany or Hungary?”

Are Märklin products again being outsourced and made by someone else? We all know where that’s going to go……………..

Well, there was quite a discussion on this forum when the original S2/6 model came out as the (very first?) surprise loco. At that time it became evident that the loco was made in China through a cooperation with the South Korean company Sam Model Tech who are well known in the US market for quality brass locomotives. To the best of my knowledge (and I don't claim any inside knowledge about this) every Surprise Model and the derivatives of each one has been manufactured through this partnership.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mrmarklin  
#365 Posted : 12 January 2022 23:24:46(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Well, there was quite a discussion on this forum when the original S2/6 model came out as the (very first?) surprise loco. At that time it became evident that the loco was made in China through a cooperation with the South Korean company Sam Model Tech who are well known in the US market for quality brass locomotives. To the best of my knowledge (and I don't claim any inside knowledge about this) every Surprise Model and the derivatives of each one has been manufactured through this partnership.

The original venture into China in the early 2000s was plagued by QC problems. Naive Germans were caught by surprise (they shouldn't have been) by the Chinese reverting to type by substituting inferior materials in production runs. Hence the Zinkpest in some of the Loks and freight cars of the period.

Current models are fine, now that QC lessons have been learned. The reality is, that some of the nicer models such as the new UP844 would be much more expensive if they were not made where labor is cheaper.Cool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#366 Posted : 13 January 2022 02:00:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
It seems that the Made in China sticker is applied only to items arriving in the USA.
Which seems to indicate they are ordered directly for shipment from a factory in China.

Whereas from my knowledge, some Asian, Australian, and NZ dealers buy their stock from Göppingen.
Those imported items do not have a Made in China sticker on them.
I don't know what Australian laws apply but Chinese factories supply most of Australia's consumables, and the packaging always states Made in China.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline michelvr  
#367 Posted : 13 January 2022 02:07:42(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
It seems that the Made in China sticker is applied only to items arriving in the USA.
Which seems to indicate they are ordered directly for shipment from a factory in China.

Whereas from my knowledge, some Asian, Australian, and NZ dealers buy their stock from Göppingen.
I don't know what Australian laws apply but Chinese factories supply most of Australia's consumables, and the packaging always states Made in China.

Kimball

Hello Kimball,

My dealer also orders directly from Göppingen so the stickers were already on the box.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline eduard71  
#368 Posted : 13 January 2022 03:08:32(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   

Kimball

Hello Kimball,

My dealer also orders directly from Göppingen so the stickers were already on the box.

The sticker in the US comes from a regulation. In Europe it’s not needed so you will not be able to know where is made. But by sure if there is no sticker that says Germany or Hungary it comes from China.

Regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#369 Posted : 13 January 2022 05:00:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I believe the US regulations say that the country that made the majority of an item has to be identified on the box. I presume 'majority' means 51% or higher. So there could be components made in Germany and Hungary but if the majority of the item's construction is done in China then 'Made in China' has to be shown. Likewise 'Made in Hungary' could also include components made in China.

This is not required in Europe nor here in NZ AFAIK.

I have some 47812 containers wagons recently received from AJCKids which has a 'Made in Hungary' sticker on the box.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#370 Posted : 13 January 2022 09:18:16(UTC)
H0

No, this indicates that they were sent to the USA through official Märklin importers. Declaration of origin is required by US laws.
US residents ordering items directly from European dealers will usually not set those stickers - and live a happier life.

Sometimes folks try to convince me that the "Made in China" sticker applies to the box, not the rolling stock.
Sometimes folks try to convince me that rolling stock sold in the USA is "Made in China" while rolling stock sold in Europe is "Made in Europe". Seriously? The US market for Märklin H0 is too small to justify a separate production facility.

Are Märklin products again being outsourced and made by someone else?
Chinese production for Märklin started in 1994 and has never stopped.
Items in Märklin boxes are sometimes not "made by Märklin". Sometimes they are not even "designed by Märklin".
I have some rolling stock with Märklin logo that was neither made nor designed by Märklin, but the quality is very, very good.
It's a pity that not all Märklin products have this level of quality.
Märklin decided to be very secretive about where items are made and they play the crazy game of repeating "we are withdrawing production from China" again and again.
There still is a lot "Made in China" sold in boxes with the Märklin label.

Has anybody seen a "Made in..." sticker on the Belgian class 1 loco?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Mman  
#371 Posted : 13 January 2022 12:25:47(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Recently Gaugemaster of Arundel (Ford really) in England have included Country of Origin (CofO) on their invoices for orders.
How informative or accurate that is remains to be seen. So far Germany and Hungary have been noted for both H0 and Z items.
ChrisG
Offline TrainIride  
#372 Posted : 13 January 2022 13:43:50(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Got this on my high end 44700 Start Up container car box:
(and also on my 29453 Container Train starter set)

Marklin_44700.jpg

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Online dickinsonj  
#373 Posted : 13 January 2022 15:03:19(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I believe the US regulations say that the country that made the majority of an item has to be identified on the box. I presume 'majority' means 51% or higher.

AFAIK the US designation is based on the country where something is assembled, not on the source of the components used to make it. With most things today containing parts from around the world it would be a big accounting task to track the source of each component.

When my models come through US dealers they usually have those stickers, which of course the models I source directly from Europe do not. US delivery can be so slow that some US dealers import items directly from European sources and they don't normally have the stickers either. I had never seen that made in the EU designation before it was recently posted - maybe it started after Britain left the EU.

My first Asian made loco was my 37015 S 2/6. It is well made but the grounding contacts are attached to the chassis by plastic pins pushed through holes in the copper plate. The pins were melted to hold that part in place, which I have never seen in a Märklin model made in Europe. That part came loose from the chassis and degraded the ground path until I glued that copper piece back onto the chassis, so it was a cheaper but less effective method of attachment than I expect from a Märklin model. Things like that make me think many Asian models are not designed in Göppingen and made in Asia, and are not really Märklin designed models for the most part.

I think you sometimes give up some quality with Asian made locos but you get far greater detailing and more features than if it were made in Europe. If Märklin made all of their models in the EU they would be less interesting and cost more, which I don't think most people want.

I have cut back to just buying special and very high feature Märklin locos in the last few years and almost all of them have been made in China. It is a new world in manufacturing today and if Märklin wants to survive I don't think they have much choice but to do this.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#374 Posted : 13 January 2022 15:10:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I had never seen that made in the EU designation before it was recently posted - maybe it started after Britain left the EU.
No, it started before the Brexit.
For officially imported items the EU designation will be hidden under a sticker showing "Made in Hungary" or "Made in Germany".

Further information about US requirements:
https://www.cbp.gov/trad...ountry-origin-us-imports

A "substantial transformation" is required to avoid "Made in China" on items made in China.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mr. Ron  
#375 Posted : 14 January 2022 23:04:37(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
China is just as capable as any other country at producing high quality goods. The only thing that concerns me is how much does this benefit the communist government.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Donb  
#376 Posted : 14 January 2022 23:42:44(UTC)
Donb

Canada   

Has anybody seen a "Made in..." sticker on the Belgian class 1 loco?

Yup.... And I had problems with the front and rear bogies derailing on initial test runs. Had to remove the bogies and adjust the springs. But since i corrected that Ive had no issues with it. Fingers crossed....

PXL_20220114_223418909.MP.jpg
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Donb
Offline Mr. Ron  
#377 Posted : 14 January 2022 23:46:16(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I've wondered about the "limited run" policy of Marklin. A limited run tends to increase the value of those items in the future because of their "rareness". These rare items are apparently given special care in manufacturing, making them quality wise, better than the general run-of-the-mill models. Marklin makes money from the limited run edition and breaks even on the other models, or what I perceive to be the case. Whatever the case may be, the economy, covid, social unrest, Marklin as a money making operation has earnings as #1 priority. Marklin "fans" may soon fall out of love with Marklin if the present trend continues. Faith and trust in a company only goes so far and they may be stretching it. As a Marklin user, I'm only interested in quality and price. I don't care about their in-house problems, nor should I. I'm a model railroader and that's all I am. Politics has no place in model railroading.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline marklinist5999  
#378 Posted : 15 January 2022 00:16:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think the Limited run items are of the same quality as others. Only the colors, and script printings vary. As for having to adjust bogie springs, I also did with my "made in EU" newest version of the br 38. Thr front pilot truck wasn't tracking well.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#379 Posted : 15 January 2022 01:23:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I've wondered about the "limited run" policy of Marklin.

It is not necessarily a 'limited run' policy, but more a financial policy of not holding stock in the factory if you can avoid it.

Why make 5,000 of an item if you get only 4,000 orders? The extra 1,000 still has to be paid for out of the company capital reserves, which is money that could be purchasing materials for a run of a different product.

Marklin is not the only company doing this, everyone from car companies down is doing the same thing. car companies do it slightly differently in that production lines are set up so that every vehicle manufactured can be customised to order, but the overall effect is the same.

all the model railroad companies are doing it, see the reports on this forum about ferreting around the various online shops to find specific models from Roco, LS, and a number of other MRR manufacturers. I know that Hornby also does it, I see the same complaints in the UK market.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#380 Posted : 15 January 2022 13:57:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
In reply to Ron's post regarding China manufacturing aiding the communist government, it seems China is slowly owning the world. They own Volvo, the former British Rover concern, etc. Haier white goods owns GE appliances, and I think Also is now owned by another.
China has token capitalists who were set funded by the government, and their revenues keep the government funded. China has a small emerging middle class, but I hope it grows! Capitalism should work for all, not just a few. Why work so effing hard to make others rich and not be able to accumulate any wealth of your own?
As for Marklins owner, Simba Dickie, they have been in Hong Kong for decades before the 2000 British turnover.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Mark_1602  
#381 Posted : 15 January 2022 15:17:51(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
These rare items are apparently given special care in manufacturing, making them quality wise, better than the general run-of-the-mill models. Marklin makes money from the limited run edition and breaks even on the other models, or what I perceive to be the case.

Hi Ron,

Märklin makes money on every model, no matter if it is a standard catalogue item or a limited product run. Before the insolvency, they did not know which items they made a profit on, as Mr Pluta said in an interview after he took over. That was one of the first things his team changed. Some items announced in the 2009 news brochure were cancelled because they weren't profitable. The principle that every loco, passenger or freight car must be sold at a profit was has applied ever since, though there are a few accessories such as the new large radius switches released some years ago that could never break even. I've read somewhere that the development of those items was financed through the sale of the 31100 set.

Märklin's highly detailed special high-end models made in China would never have seen the light of day if the company had planned to have them manufactured in Europe. An uncommon loco with a very large number of parts and small product runs cannot be made in Göppingen or even in Hungary.

I agree with some forum users that Märklin should be less secretive about where its products are made and print 'Made in the EU' or 'Made in China' on all boxes. Most customers do not care that much about the country of origin as long as the quality is all right. I've often had issues with Märklin items assembled in Hungary, though things seem to have improved in the last few years.

P.S. Most Märklin items made in China that I have bought in the last 20 years were actually flawless. Only a handful were warranty cases.

Edited by user 16 January 2022 18:21:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline H0  
#382 Posted : 17 January 2022 13:58:26(UTC)
H0

For the German "China sceptics" it would be nice to also see the box of 37984 UP 844 with a "Made in China" sticker. Can anybody provide a picture? Thanks in advance.
And we didn't have a picture of the ICE 4 box either.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Jay
Online dickinsonj  
#383 Posted : 17 January 2022 15:05:32(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Here you go Tom.ICE4.jpegUP844.jpeg
Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#384 Posted : 17 January 2022 16:00:45(UTC)
H0

Many thanks, Jim.
Interesting. The stickers on the UP 844 look different. Whatever that means.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline daveoZ  
#385 Posted : 24 March 2022 00:28:17(UTC)
daveoZ

United States   
I've seen, in the U.S., labels stating made in Italy, Hungary, China, and even made in Germany.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by daveoZ
Offline mbarreto  
#386 Posted : 24 March 2022 15:44:35(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I would like the boxes and the bottom of the chassis have written "Made in xxx" for the buyer/owner knows where it was produced.

For example if I am undecided in choose 1 of 2 items and they are built in different areas, the geography it was built maybe the decision factor.

Regards,
Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline H0  
#387 Posted : 24 March 2022 15:53:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

I would like the boxes and the bottom of the chassis have written "Made in xxx" for the buyer/owner knows where it was produced.
Yes, nice idea.
But for the people in Europe this might often be "Made in EU", while customers in the US will get stickers showing either "Made in Hungary" or "Made in Germany". Different legal requirements.

I still think that many customers assume items are made in Germany since the box shows "Märklin, Göppingen, Germany". Märklin do not want to spoil that nice dream with too many facts on the box.

For mail-order customers it is too late when they see the box. So in an ideal world, the "Made in ..." would already show in the new items brochure and the product database.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#388 Posted : 24 March 2022 17:17:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If you dont like things made in China then you wont be buying much these days.
I just open the Marklin box and the loco runs fine so where it is made matters not. Here in the UK we manufacture almost nothing which is a disgrace. Having made TVs for years now we make none. Same with clothes now nearly all bought from countries with cheap labour. I would pay more for stuff made in the UK (obviously not Marklin)
However that is the world today but so far never a problem with Marklin model rail other than one signal which was I expect down to me.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#389 Posted : 24 March 2022 19:58:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
IHaving made TVs for years now we make none.

True, the Sony factory now makes Raspberry Pi modules.

Offline Mr. Ron  
#390 Posted : 24 March 2022 20:05:13(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
If you dont like things made in China then you wont be buying much these days.
I just open the Marklin box and the loco runs fine so where it is made matters not. Here in the UK we manufacture almost nothing which is a disgrace. Having made TVs for years now we make none. Same with clothes now nearly all bought from countries with cheap labour. I would pay more for stuff made in the UK (obviously not Marklin)
However that is the world today but so far never a problem with Marklin model rail other than one signal which was I expect down to me.

That's how it goes these days; wish it were not so. Everyone is trying to make as much money as they can by having everything made by the cheapest fashion possible and that usually means, "made-in-China".

Offline mvd71  
#391 Posted : 24 March 2022 20:23:34(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If I find a made in China sticker on anything Märklin it will be going back to the supplier.

Märklin will make a lot less money out of me if they make stuff in China
Offline kiwiAlan  
#392 Posted : 24 March 2022 20:44:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

That's how it goes these days; wish it were not so. Everyone is trying to make as much money as they can by having everything made by the cheapest fashion possible and that usually means, "made-in-China".

That is a rather blinkered view of the reason for getting product made in China. Another reason is to keep the cost of the end product at a price that the customer will buy. If this was not a consideration we would all be buying G1 stuff at several thousand euro per loco.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#393 Posted : 24 March 2022 20:47:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
If I find a made in China sticker on anything Märklin it will be going back to the supplier.

Why? Just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is made by slave labour rates. There is a certain amount of cutting off your nose to spite your face, as the saying goes. See also my comment in the previous post.
Offline H0  
#394 Posted : 24 March 2022 21:25:34(UTC)
H0

You don't see those stickers in OZ/NZ. We don't see them either in the EU.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline eduard71  
#395 Posted : 24 March 2022 21:30:06(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   

Probably you have some of your Marklin items already made in china or with parts made in China. Inside electronics for example. If you have a box with no sticker propably it is made in some other place outside Germany.
At the end there are many branded products that are made in China or countries with chaep labor cost like Vietnam. Brands liike Puma Adidas Nike have not made a piece of clothing in Europe for years, they are all made in China or and Asian country. All Apple products are made in China, Iphone or Ipad is made in China, very few claim about that.
If the product has the quality I like for me there is no promblem unless you use children or slave labor.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline marklinist5999  
#396 Posted : 25 March 2022 08:33:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
True Eduardo, the economy is global. Roco has a plant in Vietnam. Quality is excellent. They are edging to a free market.
A gal I know who works for Intel told me even in China, people find better paying jobs, and move up. They see first hand what they make for the world. Don't you think that makes them desire to have them? It's about strength in numbers and their government is powerful, but the people are the true power.
Offline mbarreto  
#397 Posted : 25 March 2022 11:29:18(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

So in an ideal world, the "Made in ..." would already show in the new items brochure and the product database.

That is even better!

Relative to "Made in EU" it is ok for me. We have here some German companies here (Bosch, VW, etc) and the production standard is high and completely controlled according to their worldwide standards. This is different than buy to other sources, though.

Although quality is the most important factor about the product, for me it is important to favor some political aspects, so I prefer for example to buy products where the workers are not almost slaves and where people can say what they think without forbidden words, etc.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline hxmiesa  
#398 Posted : 25 March 2022 13:35:09(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

Wow. That´s a statement! ;-)
Did you buy any new Märklin recently?
Unless your whole collection is vintage, odds are that you have tons of China-made items! Even some expensive high-end and limited locos are made in China.
Märklin doesnt put a "China"-sticker on the box, if it is not demanded by law.
Read the posts from our american friends, and see just how much of the stuff is mainly made in China. (Not to mention the inside components such as electronics, etc., as some others have already mentioned)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline marklinist5999  
#399 Posted : 25 March 2022 20:24:21(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It's been the same since our first major imports began coming from Japan, then Hong Kong. My uncle despised Magnavox for importing from Japan. They all did it though, and nothing chnages. He finally said if he couldn't buy American made, then it is what it is.
Australia has seen the same kinds of changes. For example they can no longer buy an Australian assembled car. I guess MVD will have to do without, or rebuild old Aussie Ford's, Holdens, Chryslers, "Mitsushibi's", or Leylands.
Online dickinsonj  
#400 Posted : 26 March 2022 00:46:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Years ago on this forum I questioned why my expensive, insanely detailed new loco was made in China and not Germany.

A wise member pointed out that if you want locos with a high level of detail and features they will either be made in Asia or cost more than any of us would pay. So almost all of Märklin's top end locos are now assembled in China, just like every high priced Apple product. Although top end models are expensive, they are still affordable, which seems like a good thing to me.

I now own many very high quality Märklin models which were made in China and they are all perfect. They are just as well made and just as durable as those made in the EU. My SNCF 241 is probably the finest HO loco that I have ever seen, with amazing detail and it runs perfectly.

Lots of nice trains are still made in the EU though. I assume that my next Insider loco and coaches will be EU made, or is that no longer true?

But basically I have found that Märklin MRR equipment is very similar, regardless of where it is assembled, which is both a blessing and a curse right now.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj