Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline s2sticks@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2020 16:48:00(UTC)
s2sticks@gmail.com

United States   
I am just getting into Marklin Spur 1 and was curious which track is preferred, Marklin or LGB?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2020 17:54:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: s2sticks@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
I am just getting into Marklin Spur 1 and was curious which track is preferred, Marklin or LGB?

marklin track is code 200, LGB is code 250. My memories of looking at Marklin running on LGB track is that the rails do look over size.

Peco also make code 200 track that should mate with Marklin. If setting it up outside their plastic sleepers may be more UV resistant than marklin from what I have heard.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2020 19:36:28(UTC)
Goofy

Also Km1 produce tracks in scale 1.
Km1 do have both in plastic and real wood ties for the rail too.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2020 20:37:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Here's a few things for you to look at:

https://www.marklin-user...cale-tracks-and-turnouts

https://www.marklin-user...6-Track-for-marklin-1-32

Since then, Märklin have bought the company Hübner, and introduced their rang of tracks under the Märklin name.

The "Hübner" track system is very nice made; probably the most prototypical looking tracks you can get;
but also very expensive and not made for outdoor use.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2020 00:08:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Since then, Märklin have bought the company Hübner, and introduced their range of tracks under the Märklin name.

In fact, you can't buy the Märklin stainless steel track new anymore - you can only buy the Märklin Hübner track

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2020 01:29:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

What do you mean by prefer Märklin 1 or LGB? I only have gauge H0, but at my MIST club I was told Maerklin 1 has a gauge of 1:32, LGB 1:22,5. Maerklin 1 is only for indoor use whereas LGB is weather resistant. LGB is the abbreviation for "Lehmann Garten Bahn", in English: Lehmann (a name) Garden Railroad.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2020 12:03:28(UTC)
H0

Märklin is gauge I, LGB is gauge 2m aka gauge G. Both happen to be 45 mm.

AIUI Spur 1 can be used on LGB tracks with some limitations, but not vice versa.

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

What do you mean by prefer Märklin 1 or LGB? I only have gauge H0, but at my MIST club I was told Maerklin 1 has a gauge of 1:32, LGB 1:22,5. Maerklin 1 is only for indoor use whereas LGB is weather resistant.
Both have the same rail spacing becauce LGB happens to be narrow gauge.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2020 20:10:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

at my MIST club I was told Maerklin 1 has a gauge of 1:32, LGB 1:22,5.

Those who told you have mixed things up, or you have lost some of it in translation Cool

The scale of Märklin 1 is 1:32 and the scale of LGB i 1:22,5 BigGrin

In both cases the gauge is 45 mm BigGrin

Maerklin 1 is only for indoor use whereas LGB is weather resistant.

Both are weather resistant, the original stainless Märklin even better than the LGB, which have brass tracks.

The "new" Märklin-Hübner is more fragile, since it's very finely detailed; the tracks are nickel-silver, just as PECO. Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
In fact, you can't buy the Märklin stainless steel track new anymore - you can only buy the Märklin Hübner track

There's plenty around, in Denmark several of the dealers still have some of it in stock, an on Ebay you can get everything BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2020 21:44:32(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   

What do you mean by prefer Märklin 1 or LGB? I only have gauge H0, but at my MIST club I was told Maerklin 1 has a gauge of 1:32, LGB 1:22,5. Maerklin 1 is only for indoor use whereas LGB is weather resistant. LGB is the abbreviation for "Lehmann Garten Bahn", in English: Lehmann (a name) Garden Railroad.

I have always understood that LGB stands for Lehmann Gross Bahn not Garten Bahn. Seems to me in one short sentence you have as usual got everything wrong!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline phils2um  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2020 02:32:56(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
First a correction. Rail code is a measure of the rail height in thousandth's of an inch. LGB rail is code 332 not code 250.
Second, LGB rail is very robust. I'm using a lot of it on my outdoor layout. However it is nominally a scale of IIm , 1:22.5 meaning the tie spacing and size are way out of proportion to what looks prototypical in scale 1 which is 1:32. I would recommend you look a Sunset Valley code 250 stainless steel rail as you are in the US. They have tie strips for 1:32 if you intend to run mostly scale 1. You'll save loads of money you can spend on locos and turnouts. Plus, long sections of "flex" track work better outside.

I also highly recommend you look at the MyLargeScale.com and gscalecentral.net web sites before committing to any brand or type of track.
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline KingMarklin  
#11 Posted : 17 July 2020 17:28:02(UTC)
KingMarklin

United States   
Hi....Originally used the Marklin 1 scale track, I started with the earlier version of Marklin's track with the older style track clips but eventually moved to their current snap clip version. Since I was setting the track mainly around the Christmas tree and occasionally in the yard, I noticed it started having connectivity issues and also it never provided good stability when set up on carpet.

In the last few years I was turned onto Piko G scale Track, and was able to find it on Ebay priced much lower than retail. Now Piko may not be prototypical looking track compared to the Marklin track, but its robust, sturdy and functions exceptionally. Set up is a breeze and I never had any connectivity issues since. Some people I know that use Piko and the similar LGB track and I can say that the rail also weathers nicely in garden layouts.

I have since sold off all my Marklin 1 scale track on Ebay.

Ken
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by KingMarklin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 20 July 2020 03:08:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have always understood that LGB stands for Lehmann Gross Bahn not Garten Bahn. Seems to me in one short sentence you have as usual got everything wrong!

Lehmann Gross Bahn is correct.

Maerklin 1 is only for indoor use......

Also incorrect, you just need to read the manual for any Marklin G1 loco where they make reference to outside running. Also see Per's comments above re stainless steel track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 20 July 2020 11:34:53(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Lots of answers, but I cant see anybody stating the REAL reason for why to use LGB tracks instead of Märklin;

You can run Märklin rolling stock on LGB tracks, but you cant run LGB rolling stock on Märklin tracks; The bigger flanges of the 1:22,5 scale wheels will bump into the sleepers of the Märklin 1:32 rails.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline phils2um  
#14 Posted : 21 July 2020 08:38:24(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Another very real reason - $$$$$
Phil S.
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 21 July 2020 09:50:43(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
LGB rail is code 332 not code 250.

Correct, as can be seen in the links I gave, they are really big BigGrin

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
You can run Märklin rolling stock on LGB tracks, but you cant run LGB rolling stock on Märklin tracks; The bigger flanges of the 1:22,5 scale wheels will bump into the sleepers of the Märklin 1:32 rails.

Correct; but Märklin rolling stock can also have problems on LGB turnouts, by "Falling down",
due to not being lifted when they cross over at the "heart-piece" Cool

Also, the smaller radius LGB is too tight for "real" 1-gauge Märklin; the MAXI range is usually OK BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#16 Posted : 25 September 2020 11:38:04(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I hope it is not too late. I have Peco gauge 1 track outside for about 7 years. I have no issues with that in general, UV, hot and cold weather, falling apples from the tree are not a problem.
I choose Peco because I wanted flexi track and it is cheaper than Marklin. The downside is that there is only 1 foot long flexi track and a single left and right turnout. That is the entire lineup. At least the turnout is nice a wide, the radius is around 3 meters.

Few things to consider:
- The turnouts are electrofrog, so you need a small microswitch which switched the polarity of the frog. There is a place for the microswitch in the turnout itself, but you have yo buy it separately and solder/install it. None of them have failed so far.
- The point rails are spot welded to a small copper plate which screws down onto the moving part of the turnout. I have a few turnouts where this weld failed after a few years. But you can just solder it back.
- There is no turnout motor from Peco, you have to come up with a custom solution for that
- Rails need cleaning, if I don't run trains for more than a week, it needs to be cleaned before a running session.
- Fishplates only work with about 2-3 years, after that they corrode and stop conducting properly. So consider soldering jumper wires across the fishplates and many separate power feed points.
- Peco track is bullhead, so does not have the wide feet as Marklin track. But both are code 200, so the rails are same height, but connecting Peco and Marklin tracks need some fiddling around.

Let me know if you need more, I can send pictures as well.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by nygma
Offline artfull dodger  
#17 Posted : 28 December 2020 22:48:14(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have had my LGB track outside for 15+ years now with no major issues. Its been taken up and put down on new railways 3 times now. From ground level in PA to ground level in Indiana to now a raised line for live steam operation. I did use Piko curves as LGB did not offer the right radius for the prebuilt layout I bought. In the USA its easier to find second hand LGB over the Marklin track. And with the variety of trains between myself and my friends its best to use so all can run. If I was going lone wolf with just gauge one equipment and had no other track, I would seriously look at either Marklin or Peco track for its more fine scale look. That said, I have zero complaints about my LGB "girder rail" track. It has served me well for many years. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger