Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jaime  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2016 01:26:24(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Hi

I´m a new member from Chile. A marklin fun in H0, but my new project is a garden layout, a raised roadbed system. I want to use marklin 1:32 and maybe other brands material. For now my choose is track power, stainless steel. My question: Someone has seen or used marklin 1 locomotive in sunset valley track (SS flex track 6 ft ) or another track in code 250?. I have discarded code 332 (like LGB track), it is oversized for marklin 1.
Thanks for your help..

Jaime
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2016 10:52:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Stainless steel track is probably best for use outside, although the Marklin stainless steel track does have issues with power conductance which is caused by the track joints. The track clips that Marklin sell don't help all that much. In fact manufacturers such as KM-1 recommend that you do not use the stainless steel track with their KM-1 locos, especially the large, heavy steam locos. The KM-1's can draw serious amounts of current, and if the track doesn't conduct all that well it can lead to boosters not detecting shorts but rather they keep on trying to deliver more power. I know this from experience, having had the pickup wiring in my KM-1 loco burn out due to this very problem.

KM-1 have their own track, and Marklin also sell the track previously made by Hubner. Peco also make and sell G1 track. All of these track types contain a percentage of nickel which helps in conductivity but may not last that well if used outside.

KM-1 track: http://www.km-1.de/html/gleise.html

Peco track: http://www.hattons.co.uk...32_Scale_/spec_list.aspx

Marklin / Hubner track: http://www.maerklin.de/e...ucts/gauge-1/railtracks/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Online xxup  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2016 12:43:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
On a related note.. I wonder how durable that plastic road bed is when it is used outside.. Do you know of anyone who has used this track outside in a sunny (i.e. high UV) climate - Mid to northern Australia or maybe California or Florida?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Jaime  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2016 17:59:14(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Ok. Apparently the ideal for exterior is stainless steel, although of lower conductivity than brass, does not rust. That could be corrected with more feeders.
Sunset valley track has stainless steel, lots of switches, but I still can not find anyone using marklin on those tracks. They are code 250. On youtube I have seen Peco and Tenmille. I just saw the page of KM 1, very beautiful and apparently recommended for outdoor (have UV stabilizer), but at a higher cost, although I must see the German translator better. I imagine they are code 200, which I think would leave me out of the way material from other scales.
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2016 22:20:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I've had PECO tracks in my garden for more than 10 years now; without any problems.

( Even though I don't have a layout at the moment; I've left my tracks outside. )

The tracks are nickel-silver, so you can solder your wires to them, they do not rust, they only get to look more prototypical brown; so after a winter, you have to polish them a little.

If you destroy too many sleeper-pieces by cutting them wrong, you can buy them from Peco as a spare part.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2016 23:54:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Per, do Peco produce G1 curved track and flex track? There's no reference that I can find on the Hattons website.

I know Andreas at KM1 regards the Peco track as being a bit soft, as big heavy locos can wear it out. However we have been using Peco track on our club modular layout with no issues.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2016 00:06:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
On a related note.. I wonder how durable that plastic road bed is when it is used outside.. Do you know of anyone who has used this track outside in a sunny (i.e. high UV) climate - Mid to northern Australia or maybe California or Florida?

I believe the Peco track has a UV resistant plastic for this reason, but I don't know how resistant. It will eventually give up anyway, all plastic, even UV resistant, will eventually decay when exposed to UV, it is just a case of how fast.

Peco have templates available on their website

They also have a list of items available.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2016 00:27:44(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Per, do Peco produce G1 curved track and flex track?

No curved tracks, only straight/flex and turnouts L+R.

You even have to cut the sleepers on the tracks yourself, to make them fit on the turnouts.

( Like having Märklin 24711; but no 24071. )

If asked PECO if the could do a "transition-piece"; but no. ( They only needed to do the sleepers. )

I've also asked if we could expect them to make a crossing; also no.

And I also asked if I could buy the tracks in 2 or 3 meters; but no.

I don't think a heavy loco can wear the tracks out; but they are not as stiff as Märklin-track.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Jaime  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2016 01:35:49(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Per,

Is necessary a rail bender for Peco flex track?, and you used peco rail joiners, or another system, like the rail clamps?

Jaime
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2016 09:30:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Jaime Go to Quoted Post
Per,

Is necessary a rail bender for Peco flex track?, and you used peco rail joiners, or another system, like the rail clamps?

Jaime

A rail bender is not necessary; but it makes everything easier and nicer.

I usually take the tracks apart, and bend each rail individually.

I've made my own track bender, just an old vice with 3 plastic wheels on:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I use the PECO rail joiners.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Jaime  
#11 Posted : 13 December 2016 15:56:08(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
wow, excellent idea!!!

What is your opinion about the peco turnouts, which means "electrofrogs"

thanks..
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 13 December 2016 21:06:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Jaime Go to Quoted Post
wow, excellent idea!!!

What is your opinion about the peco turnouts, which means "electrofrogs"

I think they are fine BigGrin

They are radius 10 feet and looks very prototypical to me.

Only small locos needs to have power to the "frog", I have not yet used power on mine.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Jaime  
#13 Posted : 23 October 2017 11:48:07(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Hi

Yesterday I finished the track laying.
I want to thank for the help and all the recommendations made by members of the forum

Best regards from Chile

Jaime

IMG_7855.JPGIMG_7863.JPGIMG_7876.JPGIMG_7885.JPG
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Jaime
Offline Jaime  
#14 Posted : 23 October 2017 11:50:51(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Jaime
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 24 October 2017 12:06:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
I don't think a heavy loco can wear the tracks out; but they are not as stiff as Märklin-track.

I recently replaced a length of PECO G1 track on two of our club's modules, because the join in track between the two modules was not so great. Here's a photo of what I replaced.

Note the difference between the new track piece and the old - the old is quite worn down compared to the new.

20171005_151552.jpg
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 24 October 2017 21:18:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

the old is quite worn down compared to the new.

I would really like to see a picture from the side, instead of from above; or an accurate measurement of the height of new vs old tracks.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 25 October 2017 02:25:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
It's not so much a height issue, rather compare the rail to the right with the new piece. The edges have been worn down, and the new track rails have a more square profile.

Showing from the side won't show much, plus I don't have those photos.
Offline Purellum  
#18 Posted : 25 October 2017 12:36:56(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

It's not so much a height issue, rather compare the rail to the right with the new piece. The edges have been worn down, and the new track rails have a more square profile.

Showing from the side won't show much, plus I don't have those photos.

OK, my understanding / definition of "worn" is that the profile gets lower and lower, or the edges are rounded.

On the top track it looks like the tracks have been damaged / bend during transport, which I don't think the PECO quality should be blamed for.

Also, I would rather have the tracks to be a bit softer than the wheels on my rolling stock, than the opposite.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 26 October 2017 11:05:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
On the top track it looks like the tracks have been damaged / bend during transport, which I don't think the PECO quality should be blamed for.

No one is blaming PECO quality, I was just surprised at the difference between the new and older track, and the relative amount of wear on the rail edges.

The problem with the inner track (i.e. top) is that there is a height difference in the rail join, which tends to make locos an wagons leap and rock as they go over it, as this video from 2014 shows. I've packed it up a bit to make it much more even.

The outer track looked like it had been bent at some stage, hence why I replaced it.

20171001_135651.jpg
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 27 October 2017 21:20:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

No one is blaming PECO quality, .............

Well, that wasn't what I meant you did, and I'm not trying to promote PECO. BigGrin

I'm just trying to find out if you have experienced something I haven't seen.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage