Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2011 11:14:42(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Finally I managed the long drive up to Sydney and back to collect this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/380309682416 (** UPDATE 03/04/2020 ** Auction link long since dead but I've added the original photos from the auction at the end of this post to show how it was in the listing)

7 hours to Canberra Friday night, overnight stay with my sister-in-law & family, 3 hours to Sydney Saturday, RAIN the whole way there and back, (three hours across Sydney just to collect it due to traffic) and then back to Canberra, stay the night and back down yesterday. I am knackered!!

But... now I have something to play with. It needs some refurbishment, but nothing serious. There are a couple of signals missing which I shall have to replace, may have to put out a 'wanted' advert for those but the priorities are....

1: Buy or build some trestle's to support it. I need some form of collapsible legs.

2: Light vacuum, clean the track, clean the accessories. Get rid of the surface rust on the motor covers (points, uncouplers etc) - need to get some rust killer for that and then some 'gun blue' to restore the finish. For the rust killer I previously used a product called "Jenolite" that I got from Repco, if I recall it's basically Phospheric Acid which eats all rust leaving behind bare metal so you need to apply protective treatment (repaint or gun blue) pretty quick.

3: Test run to see what works and what doesn't. Most of the circuit track flippers seem sticky and they can be a nightmare to get free again, then again, they may just be dusty and need a decent clean so that will be fun.

4: Work out the sequence of operation to restore the original automatic operation that it was designed for. I have to admit, it's an unusual design. Particularly the upper circle. You'd never build that into an operational or play layout cause it has no purpose, but as a showpiece to capture the attention of shoppers in a retail store it would be very effective. There are three controller inputs so it clearly supports a minimum of three trains fully automated, possibly more. And that's completely analogue.

The wiring underneath is superb - all correctly colour-coded exactly the same as other display layouts I've seen - nice straight lines, minimal excess or loose wire. Pics of that will follow in due course.

Down the track I'd like to make some modifications to incorporate Digital control possibly to include touch-screen operation. I acquired some ex-hospitality Point of Sale Touch screen PC's which several of the MMRC members in Wellington now have and I brought my one with me here so it would be cool to have a play with the possibilities of that.

Ideally of course I'd love to exhibit it, as something different. I'm very pleased it's K-track although it is 2100 series so the track is a little more susceptible to corrosion but it does make the 2-rail purists look again when a lot of them think Marklin is just M-track. My main issue there is transport. It won't fit in my Lancer wagon so it's either bigger transport (trailer perhaps), OR, look at whether I can 'surgically' divide it into two halves. Ultimately that would make it easier to transport back to NZ (if I wanted to) but I would need to remove EVERYTHING across the centre line, and then find some way to cut through the centre very neatly - possibly a fine band-saw would do it and then find a way to rejoin the halves in a snug fashion. More thinking out aloud there but it's a possible option although it would then mean it was no longer factory original.

And of course if I exhibit, do I go it alone, or in conjunction with a club perhaps? - the Marklin scene here in Melbourne is sparce to say the least. I did approach the 'local' Essendon CLub at the most recent train show two weekends back, the minute I said I modelled Marklin, the response (not unkindly) was "we'll change that:". Of course I know they were teasing, but it's that immediate response that Marklin is just not part of their thinking which is a little off-putting.

The modelling and scenery techniques are all the same, much of the technical stuff is the same, but we're not kindred spirits like in the MMRC or even other clubs that are at least "marklin-friendly". I digress.

And of course I need something to run on it. I have a lovely little near-new 3200 starter set and have got the inner
circuit running, the 3000 and three wagons ran around that just great and look like they were made for each other. Nadine was tickled pink to see it run and the little lights in the turnouts (most not working but that will be mostly bad connections) etc. Oh and I'll HAVE to get lights in the houses - absolutely.

My choice in rolling stock will be what I already have, a Railbus 3016/4018 (just love those), and perhaps a Telex shunter. I really want lights in passenger coaches but long coaches can look a bit silly on small layouts. Perhaps on the outer circuit? - talk me into it.

Operation-wise, it will look most effective if I can get the trains alternating across the different loops either in sequence (analogue) or at random (digital). Hmmmmm possibilities.

I know something like this is not everyone's cup of tea but consider this... I'd never be able to build a layout here what with renting and other demands on my time. The layout includes 2 double-slips, 8 turnouts, 2 uncoupling tracks, (all electric), 2 signals (and two missing) several circuit tracks, not to mention the normal straightd and curves and a bunch of houses etc. If I stripped the layout they'd easily be worth more than the $200 I paid, and to buy those in either used K or C track would be a heap more than that. So it's still a bargain which ever way you look at it.

If I do display it, this layout lends itself perfectly to a "Thomas" type of operation, and kids could run it.

But my very first step is a quick email to Mother Marklin to see if they have a copy of the original specs or instructions for it as that will save a bit of time. Fingers crossed.

Hope some of you enjoyed this.

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne

0923-1.jpg0923-9.jpg

0923-6.jpg0923-2.jpg

0923-4.jpg0923-8.jpg

0923-7.jpg0923-3.jpg0923-5.jpg

ORIGINAL LISTING TEXT

This conveniently sized layout was built by Faller and Marklin as a display model.

It has 3 separate circuits but can be powered by a 1 x 30VA transformer, which is included.

The layout uses stainless steel K-track and has 10 electric points, 2 signals, and 2 un-couplers.

The underboard wiring appears professionally done.

The layout has been in storage for a considerable time and some remote-contolled accessories may need some attention and TLC.

The Faller buildings are mostly in good condition and present well.

The layout measures 2M x 1M, weighs about 25kg and will be available as PICK UP ONLY from Pennant Hills.

Note: The table below the layout is NOT included

Edited by user 03 April 2020 10:05:40(UTC)  | Reason: 2020 - Added original ebay listing images and text

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Johnvr  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2011 12:28:53(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi Cookee,

You have got yourself a bargain there ! Looks like a super operations layout, and if you get Digital or Multi-Train control going, you could have many hours of enjoyment.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2011 12:40:46(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Great buy there mate.. I would have driven to Sydney for that, but I am not sure that it would have survived the trip in my trailer.. So it is good to see that it has gone to a really good home..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline ac jacko  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2011 13:18:01(UTC)
ac jacko

I was gonna ask if anyone from here bought this little one BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2011 13:19:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice project you've bought yourself there!

You're going to have lots of fun restoring it and then playing with it!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2011 13:23:16(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

A Scan from "Märklin Shop window displays 1972" :

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline tank_brd  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2011 13:38:07(UTC)
tank_brd

Wow, a ready-to-play start, you could think of extensions BigGrin already. I would drop by IKEA to get some table legs.
M-track - Era III-IV with 6021, Billerbahn.
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2011 14:06:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

A Scan from "Märklin Shop window displays 1972" :

Regards

Markus

Ha, Markus, you're a legend. PRIMO!!!

EXACTLY what I was looking for and in English.... Double-plus-good. Now if M can just supply the original literature I will be well on the way.

There are some interesting details from that image.

1: Catenary - there is none on mine, but may have been once. I shall check further. Not sure I want it really for a play layout, too easy to damage (even though I LOVE overhead!)

2: I now know that I need 2 x 7239 signals - they may take a while to locate

3: It indicates the rolling stock that was suggested for it. But is a bit hard to make out (unless you can email me a larger scan?) - I'll PM you about that.

My pick is the E94 "Austrian Crocodile" in front.
A 3075 Cl. 216 in the middle line? (but can't make out the coaches)
Perhaps a Railbus and two trailers at the rear (I was going to use those anyway so I'm pleased about that.)

And I see the leaflet refers to the track-plan also - do you have this in any of the trackplan books? That would be also helpful as it may save me manually drawing out the wiring schematic.

Any price list? I'll bet this baby was not cheap when it was new. Around 500 DM perhaps? (not including the rolling stock).

Don't want much do I. BigGrin Ok so I'm a kid in a lolly-shop, but I LOVE this sort of info, all part of the chase.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2011 14:39:49(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good find, Cookee.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2011 14:51:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Excellent find!
There is nothing like being young again...Laugh Laugh
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 21 March 2011 14:52:43(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Great buy there mate.. I would have driven to Sydney for that, but I am not sure that it would have survived the trip in my trailer.. So it is good to see that it has gone to a really good home..

Yep, I'm pleased with it. Where would you have driven from??

I did learn a few things on the trip also. For one thing, late at night ABC Radio kept me interested when I got tired of all the crap music - everything I ever wanted to know about Steel-String Guitars and the history of Adoption in Australia to name a couple I can recall. Good variety of topics actually.

And a little town called Holbrook with a flaming great Submarine buried in the park!! - I thought I was hallucinating in the dark but no, on the drive back, sure enough there it was. Say what???

[NMR] http://www.historyaustra...ifhaa/towns/holbrook.htm

So that will be worth a trip back just to check that out.

Perhaps I can use this little layout to kick off a small local gathering of anyone nearby (Tullamarine) for absolutely no reason at all except our mutual interest?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline NZMarklinist  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2011 16:00:27(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Steve,
A special piece of Marklin nostalgia, have fun playing, displaying and enjoying it to your heart's content, restored or not. a special find of info by Markus also ThumpUp
BTW you drove the roads that the 1971 Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III, set the World record (142MPH)BigGrin ThumpUp (sorry did I not mention I am a petrol head too ?) for "The Fastest Production 4 door Sedan in the world" back in 1971 but not revealed or published by the journos from "Sports Car World" till 1975 whilst they waited for the "Statutes of Limitation" rules to expire lest they were all locked up for a long time. Trust you went a bit slower with your precious layout in tow ?
If anyone would like a photo of the dash of that car with the Speedo indicting 142 MPH and the Rev counter @ 6250rpm, I'll send it to you when I've done it in Mine LOL (in a controlled environment of course) Sneaky
Otherwise see if there' a copy on line somewhere Flapper

Best
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Chris6382chris  
#13 Posted : 21 March 2011 17:49:10(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Cookee:

Really nice set up. That will be a fun project to restore.

Great find.

Chris
Offline Ian555  
#14 Posted : 21 March 2011 19:05:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Cookee

Instant model railroading....have fun.

Ian.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 21 March 2011 22:27:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Steve,

What a great find, worth preserving if you can keep the space for it.
Congratulations. Make sure you have fun with it.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#16 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:50:00(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Steve, what an incredible find!

I have always dreamed of having an original Marklin dealer/factory layout! wow!!

Have fun with it,

Paul
Offline GG1 Fan  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2011 04:42:17(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Marklin: Table-Top Railroad.

It doesn't get any better than that. And an 'ordeal' in order to get it....to keep the Gods of Fortune and Luck happy, they like a story with a struggle and a good ending.

Please post more pictures.

I have a Marklin Overhead Cat book, I will do a little searching.

Paul
Offline cookee_nz  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2011 07:02:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Steve, what an incredible find!

I have always dreamed of having an original Marklin dealer/factory layout! wow!!

Have fun with it,

Paul

Hi Paul, and you know the funny thing is that I know of 5 such layouts. This one, there are two in the Marklin club in Wellington, one of those has a twin belonging to a member in Auckland, and there's one that another friend of mine back in NZ just recently sold.

Be interesting to know what numbers of these were built and how many are still around. I'm sure some would have been dismantled but many would have survived surely?

Even better, how many are still operating to their original purpose in retail shops around the world? (or up against a wall in a back room covered in cobwebs)

Anyone recall seeing any recently at their favourite dealer?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline ozzman  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2011 10:16:07(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Good one Steve and I wish you joy of it. The only thing I don't get is that circle bit in the middle. Actually I've seen a few Marklin plans with a track circle like that. Does anyone know what gives with that?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline nevw  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2011 10:51:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
good catch steve.

enjoy.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2011 12:00:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Good one Steve and I wish you joy of it. The only thing I don't get is that circle bit in the middle. Actually I've seen a few Marklin plans with a track circle like that. Does anyone know what gives with that?

Yeah it's a bit odd, especially that one raised in the center like that, but keep in mind that this is primarily a shop display layout so they want to capture onlookers and I guess a train running around the center of attention like that would be eye-catching.

Can't think of any other reason off hand.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 29 March 2020 01:00:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Spotted this one on ebay Germany - Euro 2450,00 !! Factory Display Layout 0043 from 1960

https://www.ebay.de/itm/184229951292 - I'll add a couple of photos below to preserve them after the link expires. It's very dusty but otherwise looks pretty good condition

But is it worth the asking? - beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure

0043-01.jpg

0043-03.jpg

0043-05.jpg

0043-04.jpg

From the 1960 Verkaufsmodelle catalogue.....

0043-M-1960.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#23 Posted : 29 March 2020 01:16:28(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
And for those interested, here are some links to previous forum threads on this topic...

https://www.marklin-user...y--lay-out-now-in-museum (2008)

https://www.marklin-user...ctory-layouts-in-Gagenau (2013)

https://www.marklin-user...n-Factory-Layout-on-Ebay (2013)

https://www.marklin-user...yout-fram-early-1960ties (2015)

https://www.marklin-user...on-1950s-factory-layouts (semi-related - by Marco)

There may be other threads that I have missed.

To find similar examples generally (on the 'net), search for...

Schaufensteranlagen (Shop Window Layouts / Display Layouts)

Verkaufsmodelle (Sales Aids / Sales Models)

Werbehilfen (Advertising aids) / Werbung (Advertising)

And just as many variations on the above, not to mention other languages BigGrin

Edited by user 29 March 2020 09:12:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#24 Posted : 29 March 2020 13:16:23(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
cookee asked:
"But is it worth the asking?" (€2.450)

Beauty truly in the eye...but: if the signals work, and the lights work, and power is still all 'round the track (and if I had shekels to burn (including freight)) ?? I can overlook a few missing roofs on the buildings...

Oh, do not lead me into temptation...I can find it just fine by myself LOL
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#25 Posted : 29 March 2020 19:19:29(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’ve always liked that layout and have thought about recreating it myself in the near future... I’ve got loads of M track to do it right!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline analogmike  
#26 Posted : 30 March 2020 22:55:59(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello,
I remember seeing this on you tube. If it is THE exact same layout I don't know.
Mikey

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Tom Jessop  
#27 Posted : 02 April 2020 23:34:50(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Cookee , I am curious as to what happened to the layout you brought in Sydney when you repatriated back to NZ . Did you take it with you & if so how did you consign it back home or did you just carry it under your arm & book it as cabin luggage ?

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline cookee_nz  
#28 Posted : 03 April 2020 03:59:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

Cookee , I am curious as to what happened to the layout you brought in Sydney when you repatriated back to NZ . Did you take it with you & if so how did you consign it back home or did you just carry it under your arm & book it as cabin luggage ?

Cheers Tom in Oz .

Hi Tom, funny you should ask about that, just a few short days ago I took some photos intending to provide an update so your question is timely.

Yes we brought it back with us when we left Melbourne. Initially I was actually going to re-sell it but my wife (thankfully) convinced me that we should keep it and I'm so glad she did. We were maybe a bit lucky that we were bringing some furniture back with us, and her Doll-House which she wanted to keep so it all went into a container and adding things was not a big hassle and didn't significantly add to the cost.

I made a make-shift 'crate' for it, not really a crate as such, what I did was get some sheets of MDF, created four 'sides', and a lid with aluminium angle strips along each edge for strength and stability and just clearly marked it "This side up". And it arrived back here in Wellington virtually as it left. The only part that had me nervous was the underside because the wiring was still exposed but there were no issues with that.

I run the layout maybe every 2-3 weeks just for fun, and it had a public 'outing' here a couple of years ago when our club was asked to put on a display in the auditorium of the Wellington Cable-Car Museum. It ran every day for a week and did not miss a beat. Not that I expected any issues, it's fully automatic with only a few circuit tracks and three signals to worry about.

I have to tell you Tom, for AUS $200.00 it was the best outlay I think I've ever made. You simply could not build it for that, not even three times that, unless you 'happened' to have all the required items just lying around. However, it did cost me a fair bit in petrol to make the return trip to collect it over a single weekend!! Crammed into the back of a Hyundai Santa-Fe with the layout just touching against the back of my head.

Anyway I won't go into more detail in this thread, I'll either add to my original one or start a new one with some photos and a bit more of the story.

One final note though, you may have seem the comments regarding our dearly departed modeling friend Tim Fairhall who passed away last month?

Tim created a back-drop for that layout about 6 years ago and that has given it a whole new significance for me. The backdrop is done with Chalk which was one of his preferred methods and it's very effective. In this instance, he aimed to obtain depth, but without so much detail that it detracted from the layout itself. Certainly adds a different dimension to it.

P1060572.JPG

P1060573.JPG

P1060574.JPG

It is my hope that over the next few weeks, I can attend to the following;

1: Replace the two Double-slips - with the improved version but still 21xx series
2: Replace a couple of bridge sections with broken hand rails
3: Replace the simulated brickwork along the front - Faller panels 552/6a (616) - still need more, they are hard to find

I am still debating with myself about whether to install the Catenary that was originally fitted but long-gone before I got it.

Edited by user 03 April 2020 10:47:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Tom Jessop  
#29 Posted : 03 April 2020 07:23:17(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Gee Whizz you were lucky at that price . Would you mind telling what part of Sydney this was located in & if it was a "M" club member who had it , no names needed . Yes I did see the posting regarding Tim Fairhall , he has done some beautiful work on the backdrop for sure .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline cookee_nz  
#30 Posted : 03 April 2020 08:36:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Tom, it was not any M. Modeller, but if I recall, the guy had owned it a few years intending to restore it but never quite got there. He got it from someone else so the history of it was already vague. You can be sure I asked but details were sketchy.

I'll look through my notes but the general consensus is that it had at some time been in a model shop of some type either in Sydney, or at least somewhere likely in greater NSW. I've had a couple of Aussies tell me they think it looks familiar but unable to be certain or more specific.

It would be awesome to be able to verify where it had been through the 70's and I hope eventually someone will recall.

Cheers

UPDATE

I've added the original listing photos into the start of the topic as the link is long-dead.

Also, after I asked about the history of it, this is the response.....

"Hi cookee.oz,

This layout came from a Trading Post ad and I was told that it was a Marklin/Faller layout. Sorry, I have no idea as to it's provenance. It's been stored for quite a number of years and I've run out of room, hence the sale.

Regards"
(His name was Gunter, Pennant Hills)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz