Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rohit279  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2019 23:13:08(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hi Friends,

I recently oiled a few of my wagons... I used a regular machine oil to do this. Immediately after doing so, I ran my train and noted that the loco started slipping. It seems that sone of the oil from the axels would have spread on the tracks and consequently on the loco's wheels. As a result, I note that the loco's wheels start spinning at few points on the layout which slows down the train despite it being at full throttle.

Any suggestion to resolve this ? Also, which is the best way to clean the tracks. I have C tracks. I saw some on the youtube suggesting car automatic transmission oil for this job. Is this safe ? Wouldn't this cause wheel slippage ?

Mellow Mellow Mellow
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2019 07:06:47(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I use clean isopropanol (a.k.a. isopropyl alcohol) for cleaning tracks, and it should also work for your cars. I use it with fabrics. It sounds like you need a lot...
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Rohit279  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2019 07:45:34(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Thanks PeFU.... great idea ! ... I have a lot of alcohol swabs in my first aid kit which has 70% isopropyl alcohol content. I will use the same to clean the tracks and engine wheels ...
Offline costing  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2019 09:12:57(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
A very informative article on what (not) to use on the rails: https://model-railroad-h...19-05/publishers-musings

In particular alcohol should not be used, see there for alternatives (mineral spirits for example, or any contact cleaner, graphite ...).

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing
Offline Joe Meiring  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2019 14:35:40(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
I've always had success using the M cleaning wagon fitted with the 2 cleaning pads, plus one or two wagons with a slider coupled to one of my tank locos. A few laps at high speed around the circuit is all that is needed. Until recently, that is, when I noticed during our Cape winter (lots of rain and very cold weather) that some of the garage walls (where my layout is kept) were completely damp!! Been wondering why the trains haven't been running smoothly of late! So this summer I'll have to scrape off the damp paint, apply damp seal and repaint again!.... And clean out the gutters and downpipes ....and maybe install a heater or two😱 .....
Joe M
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2019 15:48:04(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Rohit,

That's a question that will give you one hundred answers! BigGrin

My favourite and all time go to cleaner for HO nickel silver track which Märklin C track is made from is GOO GONE. Which is sparingly used and then wiped clean after I apply it to the tracks. A few drops go along way and I alway use a new piece of Scott’s Shop towels for the application and then the wiping/cleaning. It removes the grease, oil and rubber which inadvertently is attracted to the rails from the wheels of our model trains. What is also very important is to vacuum the rails to remove dust and accumulated fluff (dirt) which settles on the tracks over time.

Here is their link for all of their products - https://googone.com/

Now for a link on what the product can be used on - https://googone.com/howt...s-goo-gone-work-on-that/

Please remember to use it sparingly!

You will most undoubtedly get many reply’s but please if someone mentions to use very fine sand paper or emery cloth, don't do that! All that will do is cause more problems like scratching the rail surface which in turns causes more dirt and grime to adhere to the top of the rails.

All the best! Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2019 15:48:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Rohit279 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks PeFU.... great idea ! ... I have a lot of alcohol swabs in my first aid kit which has 70% isopropyl alcohol content. I will use the same to clean the tracks and engine wheels ...

Some more ideas (only an excerpt) for track cleaning by members at marklin-users.net :

https://www.marklin-user...cience-of-track-cleaning

https://www.marklin-user...5-Track-cleaning-machine

https://www.marklin-user...ack-center-stud-cleaning

Edited by moderator 29 April 2020 10:44:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2019 21:50:40(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
A very informative article
.costin

It is indeed, I first read it some time ago and I am glad that you have resurrected it. It is also included in one of the links in the TEEWolf post above this.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Rohit279  
#9 Posted : 02 September 2019 17:14:11(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Quite informative !!!! thanks to all for the advice / suggestions ! Gr8 to know that there is helpful community around when stuck !!

Cheers !!!!!
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2019 21:11:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Isopropyl alcohol should theoretically not be used. It does clean the track, but it also attracts additional dirt due to the way the molecules work.
Wahl clipper oil, or maybe WD40 to clean and then a slight inside-the-rail rub with a graphite stick appears the way to go.

https://www.marklin-user...rack-cleaning#post593209
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PeFu  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2019 13:12:01(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
This is interesting! What effect does WD40 have on ballast (using K tracks) and rail paint? Blink
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 04 September 2019 21:34:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
From the WD40 website: "WD-40® Multi-Use Product is safe to use on the following plastics and rubbers: neoprene/hard rubber, buna/nitrile, EPDM, HDPE, Viton, ABS Plastic and vinyl. In addition, it can be used safely on the following metals: copper with unpolished finish, magnesium, aluminum, steel with unpolished finish, galvanized steel, and stainless steel. Although WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on a variety of surfaces we recommend testing in an inconspicuous area before larger application." - https://www.wd40.com/how-to/faqs/

The thinking on paint is that it is ok for paint, but it may depend on the type of paint: "WD40 does not harm paint, it is silcone-based like many modern car waxes and polishes. Contrary to many recommendations here, you can leave it on the paint without harmful effect, other than it looks like crap - all oily and greasy and attracting dust. WD40 is perfect for removing bugs and tar.May 22, 2006
Will WD40 damage the paint? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums"

But its just one of the better options than isopropyl alcohol.

---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline rbw993  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2019 21:52:57(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I wouldn't spray it onto the track. Spray on a cloth and wipe.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 04 September 2019 22:04:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yeah; I"m looking for one I can put in the tank of a cleaning car to be wiped on... so it just needs to not harm the cleaning car's bits. An aerosol, which likely evaporates very quick, may not be ideal...
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline PeFu  
#15 Posted : 29 April 2020 09:26:44(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
In a while, I will have to do a major cleaning of my layout tracks, as it has been ”closed” for some time for construction. There have been some dust around... Somewhere, I remembered this thread and a link above, to this article:

https://model-railroad-h....com/magazine/mrh2019-05

I must admit, I’ve always been an Isopropanol guy and, in addition, today I stumbled into the following great - and pretty fun - clip from a model railroad colleague down under:

So, I’ve decided to give this a try, and a can of CRC Contact Cleaner is on order! Has anyone else tried this CRC product on track cleaning?

Smile
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2020 10:48:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else tried this CRC product on track cleaning?

Yes, and it stank my train room out for 6 months afterwards!

I used it to clean my M tracks but always felt it had the potential to attract dirt and dust. Did I mention the smell?

Of course when you mention the word CRC, that usually means the 5.54 lubricant.

More latterly I've been using a contact cleaning product, which worked wonders on a previous M track dead spot that was hidden in the middle of a tunnel. CRC have a similar product - I do have some but haven't used it yet.

https://www.repco.co.nz/...g-racontclean/p/A1268543
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline PeFu  
#17 Posted : 29 April 2020 13:19:13(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Yes, and it stank my train room out for 6 months afterwards!

I used it to clean my M tracks but always felt it had the potential to attract dirt and dust. Did I mention the smell?

Of course when you mention the word CRC, that usually means the 5.54 lubricant.

...or outside New Zealand, we name it 5-56 BigGrin

No, the CRC Contact Cleaner differs from the CRC 5-56. It is even permitted near food processing, I don’t think that’s the case with 5-56... Don’t know anything about the smell though, maybe it’s worse than 5-56! Laugh

Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 29 April 2020 15:02:38(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thanks Peter for your post #15,

If I may make a comment - (not a rant "from down under"Laugh but possibly a bit of a rambleBlushing ) :

In most of the past 37 years I have simply used a soft woven cotton cloth and elbow grease rubbing to clean the outer rails and this has worked well. One of the joys I found in Märklin when I discovered the brand in the early 1980's was the lack of required frequent cleaning that I remembered from my childhood 12V DC "Hornby double O" model train.

But in the past on my layout when I needed to clean electrical contacts other than the rails (noting the U Tube "rant" points out that the rails are electrical contacts) and electric motor parts I used this electronic contact cleaner from Jaycar - this is not a trainroom Skunk, DavidOhMyGod :

UserPostedImage

I am fortunate to live in a temperate climate with low humidity and this reflects favourably on the amount of rail "cleaning" required.

My layout was designed to allow direct access to all rails but a few areas are harder than others and in due course when I came to experience older age reluctance I obtained a Märklin rail cleaning car particularly to adress the more awkward rail spots . I used the pads dry on the rails. This worked well :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And a big thanks to Peter for his tip on how to clean a bunch of pads :

UserPostedImage
- works very well and they do come out quite clean (or as my grandmother used to say "like a bought one")ThumpUp : what a wonderful forum this is !

Then later I saw that folk put isopropylalcohol (as the U Tube "rant" said, this does contain some water and other things - just like anything in a spray can contains other things) on the rail-cleaner wagon pads and I did this too but I thought that this did not enhance the rails' conductivity as well as running the pads dry.

This topic of rail "cleaning" (actually "conductivity", as the "rant" says) seems almost perennial (and interesting) in this forum and in more recent times I saw a series of posts including one that linked to a review which considered the molecular physical chemistry of the cleaning solvents germane to model rails and preferred "turps" = turpentine (aka white spirit) over isopropylalcohol. I am a sincere believer in scientific based method so I then used turps on the pads but thought it provided even poorer conductivity so only recently I have returned to just using the pads dry and remain very happy with this. I should emphasis that my need for "cleaning" the rails is occasional and only really needed in the less conveniently accessed rail areas.

I am also a believer in "horses for courses" and "when you're on a good thing stick to it" so I felt I would stay for the moment with the dry pads ... alternatively ... I could try ... using some of my electronic contact cleaner "Servisol" on the pads ... (here we go again? RollEyes )

But, as always on this forum ... to each his own!BigGrin

Regards,

PJ

P.S. I have used the Australian product "Inox" (as featured on the post #15 linked U Tube video) extensively in the past in the maintenance of our yacht for 30 years. It is fantastic in preserving electrical contact in the severe (salty and wet) marine environment. It will retain good electrical connection and prevent contact corrosion in such equipment as alternators, relays, circuit breakers, battery contacts, electric motors of anchor winch and pumps, electronic gear (log, autopilot, anemometer, wind direction gear, radio transmitter and receiver parts and connections, electronic controlled battery recharging system; sensors), engine starter motor, lighting connections and the many switches in a boat. Subsequent to using this product I experienced no problems in these areas - and there are plenty of problems to be had with maintenance in the marine environment! One marine electrician I knew referred to it as "a tool kit in a can". On the model railway however this may be a different kettle of fishSmile

Edited by user 29 April 2020 23:52:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PJMärklin  
#19 Posted : 29 April 2020 15:11:50(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Yes, and it stank my train room out for 6 months afterwards ...

...or outside New Zealand...

Oh no, Peter, I don't think the odour went that farWink

PJ Laugh LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PeFu  
#20 Posted : 29 April 2020 17:34:21(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Yes, and it stank my train room out for 6 months afterwards ...

...or outside New Zealand...

Oh no, Peter, I don't think the odour went that farWink

PJ Laugh LOL

Haha PJ, that’s almost a best practice tabloid paper kind of quoting you perform! LOL

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Darren W  
#21 Posted : 30 April 2020 00:58:01(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
So what is in this type cleaner?

Trix 66624.jpg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 30 April 2020 03:27:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
...or outside New Zealand, we name it 5-56 BigGrin

Correct, I should have said 5-56! But the stink stays the same!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline oranda  
#23 Posted : 12 February 2021 21:15:31(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I've used lamp oil successfully to clean C-track. I apply it with a microfibre cloth damped with the oil. After cleaning I use another piece of microfibre to dry off the track.

Initially there is a bit of wheel slip but this goes after an hour or two. I last did this 2 months ago and the track remains bright and clean.