Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2018 23:24:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well, it's always good to start up the very first thread in an empty sub-forum.

Since becoming gripped with "Wonderwheel fever"...

https://www.marklin-user...t40699-Marklin-Wunderrad

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t40706-A-quest-for-knowledge---help-wanted---Wonderwheel-and-Toy-Museums

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t32729-Marklin-Wunderrad-with-M-track-and-BR-89-inside

And last but not least - the very informative site of our own Markus Schild... - http://www.schraube-und-mutter.de/

I have been keeping an eye open for spare parts etc, just in case.

Locally I first obtained an assortment of screws and nuts among other bits and pieces. I am particularly keeping an eye open for original brass-plated screws.

Included in the original 1033 tin was a commutator which lends itself to all sorts of possibilities, either to bling my wheel should I so wish, or some other captivating model. And with special thanks to Markus Schild for the parts listing which has enabled me to identify most items.

Then just last weekend, I spotted at the Palmerston North show one of the traders (John Paddy) had a very battered remnant set, which looked somewhat complete, but again, the main thing I really wanted were the screws and nuts. Intense negotiation followed and the deal was done. John did say it was the original box although I did not check that at the time for fear of it all coming to bits. It was being housed in a large Faller box lid which I thought was quite acceptable given my affection for Faller anyway.

So..... imagine my surprise when I finally turned my attention to the box to find it's actually not only an original "2A" supplemental set, but appears to be one for the Nordic market. Initial translations suggested Danish, then Swedish but Google seems to prefer Norwegian even though manually selecting Sweden gives a slightly better translation.

Juhan - waddya think of that!! Do you concur? Either way, it's rather neat!

It does seem to be 'mostly' there, along with a few actual Meccano parts as well. I have started repairs to the lid, and hopefully strengthen the box base this weekend. I have not yet 'dated' this 2A set, but probably circa 1940's I imagine.

2A-Lid.jpg

Metallbyggekassen Märklin Supplementskasse

indeholder alle deler til at forandre grundkasse No. 2, til grundkasse No. 3

Fabrikanter av finere metalleketöi

2A-Box.jpg

2A-Contents.jpg

This is the earlier pack of assorted screws and component parts.

1033-parts.jpg

1033-screws.jpg

11665.jpg

I'll add a little more about my early start with Meccano in a later post to follow - off to work now

Edited by user 13 July 2018 13:59:51(UTC)  | Reason: Updates

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2018 04:24:44(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Stephen,

I sure you know about it, but if not check out nzmeccano.com

Almost exclusively Meccano, but there is discussion of some other sets including Marklin. There is a forum with some Marklin experts as members as well.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2018 06:18:54(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Stephen,

I sure you know about it, but if not check out nzmeccano.com

Almost exclusively Meccano, but there is discussion of some other sets including Marklin. There is a forum with some Marklin experts as members as well.

Cheers,

Harold.

Hi Harry, yep certainly do, good source of info but never hurts to add reminders for new readers of the topic.

ThumpUp

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2018 06:39:48(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Cooke,

The text on the box is almost certain Danish.

The word bygge is spelled byga in Swedish and the word grund is spelled grunn in Norwegian or Swedish.

It translates that this box contains all parts necessary to upgrade a box no. 2 to a box no.3

Nice found!

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2018 08:19:56(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Cookee,

the Danish box is a really nice find. You may have noticed that it has two papers on the lid. Märklin produced all the kits with a German sheet. When needed, a second sheet with a foreign language was stuck on the German sheet. I would date it around 1935. Finding the print-code on the control slip would give the more or less exact year.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2018 10:09:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cookee,

the Danish box is a really nice find. You may have noticed that it has two papers on the lid. Märklin produced all the kits with a German sheet. When needed, a second sheet with a foreign language was stuck on the German sheet. I would date it around 1935. Finding the print-code on the control slip would give the more or less exact year.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus, yes I did spot that and assumed that might be the case.

Unfortunately there is no printing code on the the control slip, only the actual "Kontroll No. You'd need reference to other control numbers with known production dates to narrow it down.

What other documentation would have been included with it originally?

Now the problem for me will be having an almost but not quite complete set - my OCD tells me I need to find the missing parts but I shall fight that. LOL

I cannot afford to get too drawn into the world of Märklin Metall - the trains might become jealous!!

Kontroll.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2018 10:38:59(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Cookee,

Unfortunately the sheet does not match the outfit. That one is earlier. It is around 1931. In your case the buyer started with a kit "0" and later bought the supplemental kits 0A, 1A and 2A. The tin in your set comes from the 0A.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2018 13:56:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Well, it's always good to start up the very first thread in an empty sub-forum.

SNIP

I'll add a little more about my early start with Meccano in a later post to follow - off to work now

When I was a child, growing up in the 60's, we already had Meccano in the house. here in NZ, Meccano and Matchbox Toys were very popular. Trains were also, the lucky ones had Märklin, my Dad could not afford Märklin with four children to raise so we had Triang (offshot of Hornby) 2-rail instead. I am grateful for that because without that influence I may not have found this enduring hobby.

One of my enduring memories of childhood would be often on a long-weekend I would ask my Dad if he would build me a model from Meccano. I used to play with it of course, but never really very seriously. More often I was tinkering with my push-bike, playing with the train or various other interests.

I'd go to bed, in the morning I would wake up and there would be whatever he had spent much of the previous evening building for me - usually a crane or something similar. Unfortunately no photos were ever taken of them so the images are only the ones in my memories.

My Dad died at the same age I am now which makes me really appreciate just how young he really was. I too would happily stay up through the night to build something for one of my grandchildren, but somehow I just don't see it capturing their imagination. Perhaps I need to sow the seed.

I still have the original Meccano, any original boxes were gone even in my childhood and the parts are all very play-worn, but they are there and who knows, I may get the bug sufficiently to build something in memory from them.

There are a large pile of original Meccano magazines also in a box, all from the 50's/60's so that would be a good place to start I'm sure.

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Crazy Harry  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2018 21:58:29(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Stephen,

I get the bug to build something every once in a while. The last project (about two years ago) was this:

Marklin 1014 Project.jpg

I have a Marklin 1014 set from the late 60's

When my boys were younger, I used to build them things when we went to Oma and Opa's house (my toys were still there), but it didn't catch their interest. No grandchildren yet, but when they come along, I'll try my best to get them hooked on trains and construction sets!

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 15 July 2018 11:54:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Stephen,

I get the bug to build something every once in a while. The last project (about two years ago) was this:

I have a Marklin 1014 set from the late 60's

When my boys were younger, I used to build them things when we went to Oma and Opa's house (my toys were still there), but it didn't catch their interest. No grandchildren yet, but when they come along, I'll try my best to get them hooked on trains and construction sets!

Cheers,

Harold.

Hi Harold, I find myself leaning toward making an interesting model from the Meccano parts I have, partly because it seems better than having them sitting unseen and might be a conversation starter, although the Wonderwheel certainly takes care of that!!!

On the other hand, when something is already made up, and there is a desire to make something different, you then have the disassembly first. Tough call Laugh

And I have the added issue of having to 'stocktake' my parts to be sure that whatever I start can actually be completed.

My older daughters last year got me the Meccano "Thunderbird 2" with strict instructions it was not to remain unmade in the box. Took myself and Miss 20 (blended daughter) several days on and off to build it.

I love the model for sure (I was a huge Thunderbirds fan as a kid of the 60's) but the 'new' Meccano is really not a patch on the original stuff.

Already the green paint has faded and developed different shades (but has not been in direct sunlight), plus it has quite a few plastic parts and was just quite fiddly to build - on the other hand, it is still 'Meccano', in the spirit of what Frank Hornby designed, if not quite the style or quality.

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 15 July 2018 11:57:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Cookee,

Unfortunately the sheet does not match the outfit. That one is earlier. It is around 1931. In your case the buyer started with a kit "0" and later bought the supplemental kits 0A, 1A and 2A. The tin in your set comes from the 0A.

Regards

Markus

Yes I suspected it was something of a 'bitsa' - bits of this and bits of that LOL

But when I find the list of what would have originally been in the 2A set I'll rebuild it as close as I can and if any missing parts come my way I'll add them, otherwise it will just be what it is, partially complete. ThumpUp

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Crazy Harry  
#12 Posted : 15 July 2018 15:51:55(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

But when I find the list of what would have originally been in the 2A set I'll rebuild it as close as I can and if any missing parts come my way I'll add them, otherwise it will just be what it is, partially complete. ThumpUp

Stephen,

Here are some photos of a 2A set:

Box Cover
Internal Arrangement
Close-up of Screws Box (open)

I found this source for parts lists:

Metallbaukasten Parts Lists

In particular you want this file:

m2a_1925ihv.xls (28kb) downloaded 23 time(s).

How's your German? Just in case, a complete list of translated parts descriptions:

Marklinteile deutsch englisch.xls (133kb) downloaded 45 time(s).

Hope this helps,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline 1borna  
#13 Posted : 29 July 2018 21:43:09(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
Mehanotehnika from the former Yugoslavia worked similar kits in the 60's (albeit with fewer pieces)
I managed to save a few boxes.
UserPostedImage
That was where my son and finally my granddaughter played
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2019 21:23:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Marcus, do you or anyone else here have a list of which items were included in Metallbaukasten sets, specifically the 1014 set and the 1034 supplemental set from the 1960/70's?

I did find the lists in the following url, but nothing for the 1014 and 1034 sets.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Markus Schild  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2019 22:19:15(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I made a "quick and dirty" bi-lingual sheet with contents of 1014 and 1034 from the 1960s/70s.

1014-34.pdf (61kb) downloaded 42 time(s).

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2019 04:01:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Marcus, you're a legend! ThumpUp

Of course, there is a ulterior motive here - I've managed to score one each of these two sets.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Markus Schild  
#17 Posted : 02 February 2019 07:16:24(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I add an illustrated part-list. The descriptions alone are not always understandable for people which are not familiar with the construction kits.

1957-mbk-17410-ta-0657-ka.pdf (1,570kb) downloaded 47 time(s).

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Crazy Harry  
#18 Posted : 02 February 2019 23:29:57(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
David,

Nice find! Hope they are in good condition.

I'd love to get hold of a reasonably price 1034 set to add to my well used 1014 set - that way I can make the biggest models in the manual!

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:30:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Harold. There are a few pieces that are rusty - mainly axles, screwdrivers and spanners. I've been able to source some replacement axles from ebay seller agra.lukamarkl.

I've also got two 1080 sets, one of which I posted photos of in the 2018 Accessories thread.

Here's some photos from the seller

1014-01.jpg

1014-04.jpg

1014-02.jpg

1014-03.jpg

1014-05.jpg

1014-09.jpg

Edited by user 09 February 2019 23:22:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:35:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Photos of one of the 1080 sets I previously published.

1080_01.jpg

1080_02.jpg

1080_03.jpg

1080_04.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:37:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'd love to get hold of a reasonably price 1034 set....

I know where there is one available (as well as a 1014 set) but the seller wants $1250 USD for each of them....

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 03 February 2019 10:05:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
A couple of ebay auctions for Marklin Metall ferris wheels, just for Cookee

https://www.ebay.com/itm...AOSwlptZ~uQ~:rk:139:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm...AAOSwi1lcNKnI:rk:42:pf:0
Offline cookee_nz  
#23 Posted : 03 February 2019 10:29:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Harold. There are a few pieces that are rusty - mainly axles, screwdrivers and spanners. I've been able to source some replacement axles from ebay seller agra.lukamarkl.

I've also got two 1080 sets, one of which I posted photos of in the 2018 Accessories thread.

Here's some photos from the seller

I've had good success with "Rust Disolver" products which are freely available. Current bottle I think I might have got in Melbourne, it's a 3M product but you can also get at Repco, Supercheap etc.

Just paint it on, leave for a few minutes, rinse off and dry. You will see the bare metal left because wherever there was paint or nickel will have gone but any areas that were not rusty will not be affected.

Then I give the part a wipe down with CRC or WD-40 to leave a thin protective film, it's not as good as repainting, but does stop the rust getting any worse.

If it's a painted part I sometimes use polish, anything really to protect the bare metal and stop any further surface rust.

Better bring them along one clubnight. I'm gutted I missed a basic set on TM a few months ago, I had it on my watch list but for some reason couldn't get to it before it closed and my initial top bid was exceeded, but it went for like $120 or something which was still a good price.

Good score Dave, only slightly envious Sneaky ThumpUp ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Br502362  
#24 Posted : 08 April 2020 13:43:26(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Quote:

Hi Harold, I find myself leaning toward making an interesting model from the Meccano parts I have, partly because it seems better than having them sitting unseen and might be a conversation starter, although the Wonderwheel certainly takes care of that!!!

On the other hand, when something is already made up, and there is a desire to make something different, you then have the disassembly first. Tough call Laugh

And I have the added issue of having to 'stocktake' my parts to be sure that whatever I start can actually be completed.

My older daughters last year got me the Meccano "Thunderbird 2" with strict instructions it was not to remain unmade in the box. Took myself and Miss 20 (blended daughter) several days on and off to build it.

I love the model for sure (I was a huge Thunderbirds fan as a kid of the 60's) but the 'new' Meccano is really not a patch on the original stuff.

Already the green paint has faded and developed different shades (but has not been in direct sunlight), plus it has quite a few plastic parts and was just quite fiddly to build - on the other hand, it is still 'Meccano', in the spirit of what Frank Hornby designed, if not quite the style or quality.

Hi Stephen,

You mentioned earlier Thunderbirds. Have you seen this?

THUNDERBIRDS - THE MAKING OF THE SECRETS

My disabled son (27 yrs) is a big fan too and enjoys those old series very much (as well as his father LOL )

Cheers

Åke

Edited by moderator 08 April 2020 22:38:35(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quote tag

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362