Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Oscar0645  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2017 04:22:52(UTC)
Oscar0645

I have on order the new CS3 central station (60226) (Not received as yet????) I have downloaded the manual and I see it needs a 60061/60065 switched mode power pack to power it.
I have a CS2 powered by marklin 60052.
Will this not be suitable

Advice please.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2017 07:03:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Oscar0645 Go to Quoted Post
I think so.

The power cable has four pins, the CS2 uses two pins for AC and two pins for DC.
I assume the CS3 only allows DC and the two pins previously used for AC are hopefully not connected and your transformer won't do any harm. But the CS3 will probably stay "all black" and it's time to get a DC power pack.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2017 11:28:41(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I cannot comment on how well the 6005x TRANSFORMER will be either accomodated or tolerated by the CS3, however , the doco says the CS3 should only be used with a switch mode Power Supply
Pg 2 Only the switched mode power packs listed above can be used with the CS3. Transformers are no longer allowed.
... and, unlike the CS2, the CS3 does not have a power setting for anything other than a DC power supply (60061, 60101, L51095).

The power/load drop-off curve of a transformer v a power supply is quite different. Without a setting to inform the CS3 how to cope and detect a OC threshold is approaching it cannot react appropriately.

My take is don't risk it.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline NewComix  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2017 14:17:56(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

I have on order the new CS3 central station (60226) (Not received as yet????) I have downloaded the manual and I see it needs a 60061/60065 switched mode power pack to power it.

Advice please.

to be clear: The CS3 does not support the old transformers like 60052 and requires a 60061/60065 power supply. Note: It is possible to connect a 60052 transformer to the CS3, but the CS3 won't get power due to the pins used. Don't try anything diy with the cable!!!

Unfortunately you have to buy a 60061/60065 power supply.

Kind regards
Jörg

Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2017 18:28:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Advice please.

Oscar, I got already my 60216 CS 3+ and I had to buy a switched mode power pack in addition. I bought a 60101. So you have to buy one too, but a 60061 is the recommendation by Maerklin. But Maerklin always and anywhere does determine for its new controllers (it does not matter if it is a CS or MS) only the use of switched mode power packs, and no longer any transformers! The old transformers are another question. But you can use them parallel.

Maerklin has a specific technical information on its homepage about switched mode power packs versus transformers. As so often, unfortunately, not in English - sorry for that.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ationen/schaltnetzteile/

I do not know which line voltage you have in NZ. But I bought the 60101 for 230 VAC to get 5 A power. A 60061 for 230 VAC and 3 A is Maerklin's recommendation for a CS 3 used for gauge H0 and it is cheaper as the 60101.

But in any case for your layout you have to use wires with an absolute minimum of 0,5 square millimeters / approximately 0.0008 square inches. Maerklin uses 0,75 square millimeters (mm²) and I even use 1,5 mm². This is required for the power supply of your layout, not for turnouts, signals, etc. For them you may use the thinner cables. Receiving your CS 3 you will realize that the brown and red cables for the traction power are much thicker than cables e.g. for a turnout. More about basics of wiring you will find in the book from Maerklin Article No. 03092
"Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3". I do have the German editon as well. I really can recommend this book and first time it will be published in English too.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

To keep wiring costs down, I bought 10 m loudspeaker cable with 1,5 mm² for my layout power supply. It is functioning perfectly.
Offline Oscar0645  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2017 21:54:55(UTC)
Oscar0645

Thanks.

Had a comment from the marklin distributor in NZ (and an excellent technician) that a new power pack was not necessary to run the CS3 and that my 60052 powering my CS2 will be OK.

Regards Bruce (confused somewhat!)

Offline NewComix  
#7 Posted : 25 March 2017 22:55:18(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

Thanks.

Had a comment from the marklin distributor in NZ (and an excellent technician) that a new power pack was not necessary to run the CS3 and that my 60052 powering my CS2 will be OK.

I am sorry, but in this case your distributor in NZ is incorrect.

Kind regards
Jörg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 26 March 2017 01:10:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post

Kind regards
Jörg

I agree - none of the CS2 controllers or the CS3 should ever be powered by anything but a switched mode power pack - even if the pin out would happen to accomodate it. You would not plug your new PC into your old Märklin transformer I assume. It would be equally wrong to connect your new train computer to the wrong power supply.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Oscar0645  
#9 Posted : 26 March 2017 05:41:22(UTC)
Oscar0645

I appreciate all your positive answers. I am taking them on board. At the end of the day its what I expected, and for a $100 plus for a new powerpack is better than damaging over a $1000 worth of controller.
Thanks B
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Oscar0645
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 26 March 2017 09:19:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I do not know which line voltage you have in NZ.

240 volts.

Dion is an electrical engineer by trade, so if he is saying this I suspect he would have tried it.

Since he is a forum member, he might elaborate if he sees this thread.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 26 March 2017 11:54:25(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

240 volts.

Hello David,

I understand the nominal electricity mains supply in Australia and NZ over the years (?decades?) has slowly changed from the 240v of our childhood to 230v, as in Europe.
I appreciate that there is some variation of up to +/- 10v in this at any one time.
However it would seem that not all parts of our two countries are yet at this nominal 230v.

http://www.energysafety....ricity/about-electricity

http://www.new-zealand-n...new_zealand_voltage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

http://electricalconnect....au/when-voltage-varies/

Regards,

Philip
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 26 March 2017 13:02:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Well, you can find any number of websites that say one thing or another in regards to mains voltage.

This one says 240v - https://www.enz.org/electrical-equipment.html

A quick measurement with a multimeter measures 235.5v, so right in the middle of the 230-240v range.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Online kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 26 March 2017 13:32:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

240 volts.

Hello David,

I understand the nominal electricity mains supply in Australia and NZ over the years (?decades?) has slowly changed from the 240v of our childhood to 230v, as in Europe.
I appreciate that there is some variation of up to +/- 10v in this at any one time.
However it would seem that not all parts of our two countries are yet at this nominal 230v.

http://www.energysafety....ricity/about-electricity

http://www.new-zealand-n...new_zealand_voltage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

http://electricalconnect....au/when-voltage-varies/

Regards,

Philip

I suspect you will find that what has actually happened is the same as Europe, the nominal voltage is now called 230V, but has a wider tolerance that means that the old voltage at the old (closer) tolerance is still within the 230V with the wider tolerance.

But most of this is academic these days with wide input range switchmode supplies. These are commonly rated at 90-260V input, they go down to 90V to accommodate Japan with 100V +/-10% and up to 260V for anywhere else that has 250V (Western Australia used to use 250V IIRC).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 26 March 2017 17:52:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks.

Well, it is up to you, if you believe a trader more, who only is selling the products of this producer, than the producer himself. This producer has not only developed his technical products, he also has such a confidence in his products, that by himself defined circumstances, he warrent you a 5 year long guarantee! The trader does it not.

You must not be confused, you only have to do a decision. For this decision many memebers from this community here have given you a lot of arguments, against one distributor.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 26 March 2017 21:30:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I agree - none of the CS2 controllers or the CS3 should ever be powered by anything but a switched mode power pack

Please do not confuse a recommendation with what is formally supported.
And do not assume that what is the case for a new product was the same for its predecessor

The CS3 is a newer produce and and Marklin have formally (per documentation and user interface) not provided support for the 60052
UserPostedImage

I do concur that it may be recommended that you use a switch mode powersupply on a CS2 , but I put that in a maturing of usage category not a product specification..

Unlike the CS3, the CS2 DOES state that it supports the 60052 along with 60061 and 60101.
In fact the 60213 shipped with a cable for "E120722 - Kabel m. Stecker(Trafo,CS2 und Booster) "
Ref: http://www.maerklinshop....er-trafo-cs2-und-booster

From User manual
Pg4 : http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60213_betrieb.pdf
UserPostedImage

Similarly, and conversely, the current boosters (60173, 4, 5) may STILL be configured for use with a 60052 EVEN on the CS3
UserPostedImage

Peter
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline NewComix  
#16 Posted : 27 March 2017 05:14:55(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   

Dion is an electrical engineer by trade, so if he is saying this I suspect he would have tried it.

Since he is a forum member, he might elaborate if he sees this thread.

My statement is based on own experience and underpinned by various documents by Märklin (the manual, CS3 book, Märklin Magazine) as well as some comments at Stummi, so I am happy to bet a bottle of champagne on it. The CS3 screen just will be black due to missing power. As outlined by Clapcott a booster or a CS2 connected to the CS3 might use a transformer but the CS3 itself can not run with a transformer.

kind regards
Jörg

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline Oscar0645  
#17 Posted : 27 March 2017 11:56:24(UTC)
Oscar0645

It has been confirmed that the CS3 requires a switchmode power supply as outlined in the manual. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.Another purchase!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Oscar0645
Offline Ausipeet  
#18 Posted : 28 March 2017 13:47:25(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Perhaps an other reason to take a closer look at the ESU eCos system, Price of their new central station includes the power supply.
Just my two cents worth.
Offline NewComix  
#19 Posted : 28 March 2017 18:36:08(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps an other reason to take a closer look at the ESU eCos system, Price of their new central station includes the power supply.
Just my two cents worth.

Yes, I agree: Announcing the new ESU station including a power supply is very clever Marketing.

There is one shop in Frankfurt which offered the CS3 Plus including the necessary power supply for the same price (€ 719) as for the CS3 Plus itself.

Kind regards
Jörg
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 28 March 2017 18:59:37(UTC)
H0

Yes, I agree: Announcing the new ESU station including a power supply is very clever Marketing.
The ECoS always came with a power supply.
Wide input range (100 through 240 V) and variable output voltage for N gauge through I gauge.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 28 March 2017 19:23:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
You have been a member since:: 15/10/2006(UTC)
The CS3's not coming with a power supply isn't some Mobile Carrier/Microsoft-esque pricing/marketing trick to make the price seem cheaper than it is.

Its because the power supply used depends upon the scale of the system you are driving with it, and the corresponding safety detection levels deployed, and what damage can occur with a short... at least as I understand it.

It wouldn't make sense to package CS3s in many variants with only the power supply different based on mains voltage and gauge to be operated. The only possible snafu in the deployment is that every sale of a CS3/+ should really be accompanied by a power supply sale query by the retailer at time of order, unless the customer indicates positively having one of the supplies already. Nothing like getting the new sports car delivered to find out it didn't come with tires, and you forgot to spec them when you ordered.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 28 March 2017 21:54:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Its because the power supply used depends upon the scale of the system you are driving with it, and the corresponding safety detection levels deployed, and what damage can occur with a short... at least as I understand it.
The ECoS comes with an adjustable power supply and you can set the threshold for the internal booster somewhere in the software.

My "ECoS" 60212 is capable of 4 A output current, but I set the threshold to 2 A for increased safety.
Nice feature the CS2/CS3 don't have.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#23 Posted : 10 August 2023 00:19:18(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
If I may pick up on an old thread here, I have considered upgrading my power source to the 100V Marklin 60195 power supply that has a 5A limit for my CS3 as JeanJohn has; in part to simplify the use of equipment to a single source, instead of using a booster. However I have thought about potential dangers of the 5A to the equipment and decoders. Is that a real concern, and what or how would that happen?

After reading Tom's comment, I am now wondering if the preferred approach would be to use a booster and second power supply for safety reasons.

- Mark

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
....and the corresponding safety detection levels deployed, and what damage can occur with a short... at least as I understand it.
The ECoS comes with an adjustable power supply and you can set the threshold for the internal booster somewhere in the software.

My "ECoS" 60212 is capable of 4 A output current, but I set the threshold to 2 A for increased safety.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#24 Posted : 10 August 2023 00:44:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
If I may pick up on an old thread here, I have considered upgrading my power source to the 100V Marklin 60195 power supply that has a 5A limit for my CS3 as JeanJohn has; in part to simplify the use of equipment to a single source, instead of using a booster. However I have thought about potential dangers of the 5A to the equipment and decoders. Is that a real concern, and what or how would that happen?

After reading Tom's comment, I am now wondering if the preferred approach would be to use a booster and second power supply for safety reasons.

- Mark

Hi Mark
The restrictions of using a 100 W power supply are:
- the legal consequences for Märklin to have a fire caused by the use of thin cables as they were a few years back
- the consequences on signal switches (sized to 2 Amps) on a power limited to 5 Amps
- the difficulties for a much larger number of locos (+66% more) to MFX register. The signal is weaker when shared with other sources (locos). This proves not to be a problem. Simply present each new loco to the programming track for registration.

All this is theoritical. Why?
- no one is shocked when the ECOS from ESU delivers 150W (quite a lot of current)
- I use a 60101 Märklin power supply since 2012 and I never have suffered an induced failure because of this.

Attention: Voltage needs to remain 18 to 18.5 VDC so please don't use the LGB power supply.
Cheers
Jean

Offline David Dewar  
#25 Posted : 10 August 2023 10:41:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If there is any safety concern then just use a booster. I presume at present you are not getting enough power to your layout.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Mark5  
#26 Posted : 10 August 2023 19:24:50(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thank Jean and David for the feedback,

David, I am planning to run more locos and accessories so I am just anticipating a need. I will test and then determine. But for now in my planning there is a toss up between setting up a booster and upgrading to Marklin 60195. (100W) I currently only have a 6017 booster which is not compatible. So yes, the question is one of safety to any equipment.

So Jean, what kind of wire size/gauge do you recommend larger than 20 gauge/0.5mm.
Do you have any link or reference to the fire problem a few years back; was it an isolated case?

As for signals, I am planning to use m83 for as many accessories as I can; and I have the supplementary power supplies that work specifically with the m83s. I have yet to try out the supplementary power supply in order to see what the differences are, so bare with me, these thoughts are untested so far.

....Which is why if I used the 100w 19V supply for some accessories, I am curious about why in cases there might be damage to a 2A rated signal with a 5A supply if there is an automatic cut-out of m/s (time) when using signals etc. For context, my plan is for my signals to work cosmetically in synch with what happens in Rocrail, so it would simply be using the lights or semaphores themselves; as opposed to have the signals carry the burden of cutting off power to an isolated section of rails.

Also curious what kind of difficulties some have had with registering larger numbers locos. As you indicated yourself, I too would likely continue to register and test them all on a programming track anyway to avoid any complications as I have usually done with my temporary layouts.

So said, I would still consider using the 60195 100W, but it would be good if we write up a guide with caveats about how it could/should be used; starting with best wire gauge larger than 20 / 0.5mm (see below), then programming track etc.

Marklin clearly does not give any specific recommendation for 1/87, but I see no concrete reason why not to use it yet. I hope I am not foolishly stubborn instead of creatively bending the rules.

As for caveats, Marklin.com says:
"The 60101 switched mode power pack is designed for use only indoors. The cross section of the wire from the Central Station to the track must be at least 0.5 square millimeters / approximately 0.0008 square inches or 20 gauge!
Recommended only for 1 Gauge and LGB."

For the 60195 there is no indoor/outdoor warning.
Its smaller and black and has the same 19V 100W output as the 60101.
"The cross section of the wire from the Central Station to the track must be at least 0.5 square millimeters / approximately 0.0008 square inches or 20 gauge!

As for LGB, that would be unfortunate not to be able to use a power supply outdoors, but that is a completely different issue.

Thanks again,
Mark

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

- Mark

Hi Mark
The restrictions of using a 100 W power supply are:
- the legal consequences for Märklin to have a fire caused by the use of thin cables as they were a few years back
- the consequences on signal switches (sized to 2 Amps) on a power limited to 5 Amps
- the difficulties for a much larger number of locos (+66% more) to MFX register. The signal is weaker when shared with other sources (locos). This proves not to be a problem. Simply present each new loco to the programming track for registration.

All this is theoritical. Why?
- no one is shocked when the ECOS from ESU delivers 150W (quite a lot of current)
- I use a 60101 Märklin power supply since 2012 and I never have suffered an induced failure because of this.

Attention: Voltage needs to remain 18 to 18.5 VDC so please don't use the LGB power supply.
Cheers
Jean

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#27 Posted : 10 August 2023 22:03:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark

So Jean, what kind of wire size/gauge do you recommend larger than 20 gauge/0.5mm.
Do you have any link or reference to the fire problem a few years back; was it an isolated case?

As for signals, I am planning to use m83 for as many accessories as I can; and I have the supplementary power supplies that work specifically with the m83s. I have yet to try out the supplementary power supply in order to see what the differences are, so bare with me, these thoughts are untested so far.

Cable gauge used Many users advise (including Märklin) to use at least 0.75 mm²
Fire issue I have not seen any fire being reported but with the German concern about legality (potential for a court case) it is quite plausible according to forum like the German Stummi Foren
Current in M83s The small current used by M83 or M84 is not in question (besides, having a separate power supply for this is quite a waste of money and wiring because at ANY time one one device is activated (so we talk about hundred of milliamps). NO the point is in the insulated - stop section and the contact which powers it, in case of a short circuit, may have to support the full current delivered by the CS3 and its PSU. I cannot speak about this part because I have no (Zero) stop sections as I use Rocrail (to stop or start a loco, digital orders are sent by Rocrail through the CS3.

....Which is why if I used the 100w 19V supply for some accessories, I am curious about why in cases there might be damage to a 2A rated signal with a 5A supply if there is an automatic cut-out of m/s (time) when using signals etc. For context, my plan is for my signals to work cosmetically in synch with what happens in Rocrail, so it would simply be using the lights or semaphores themselves; as opposed to have the signals carry the burden of cutting off power to an isolated section of rails.

Also curious what kind of difficulties some have had with registering larger numbers locos. As you indicated yourself, I too would likely continue to register and test them all on a programming track anyway to avoid any complications as I have usually done with my temporary layouts.

So said, I would still consider using the 60195 100W, but it would be good if we write up a guide with caveats about how it could/should be used; starting with best wire gauge larger than 20 / 0.5mm (see below), then programming track etc.

Marklin clearly does not give any specific recommendation for 1/87, but I see no concrete reason why not to use it yet. I hope I am not foolishly stubborn instead of creatively bending the rules.

As for caveats, Marklin.com says:
"The 60101 switched mode power pack is designed for use only indoors. The cross section of the wire from the Central Station to the track must be at least 0.5 square millimeters / approximately 0.0008 square inches or 20 gauge!

For the 60195 there is no indoor/outdoor warning.
Its smaller and black and has the same 19V 100W output as the 60101.
"The cross section of the wire from the Central Station to the track must be at least 0.5 square millimeters / approximately 0.0008 square inches or 20 gauge!

As for LGB, that would be unfortunate not to be able to use a power supply outdoors, but that is a completely different issue.

Thanks again,
Mark

Cable size; I have to insist that the minimum size to use is 0.75mm² I use a "Ringleitung" (power ring) of 2 x 2.5 mm². The best cable layout is star-like from the CS3.
Inddor / outdoor Most HO layouts are indoors and I must say that even if the 60101 is not suited for outdoors, my unit is totally sealed in a strong plastic box but yes the LGB 51095 is also excellent for the job.
The concern is the voltage of the PSU connected to the CS3 It must NOT be higher than 20 volts
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline NewComix  
#28 Posted : 12 August 2023 19:38:15(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi Mark,

- Mark

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
....and the corresponding safety detection levels deployed, and what damage can occur with a short... at least as I understand it.

you can use the bigger 100W power supply, BUT you should still select the 60W power supply in the settings of the CS3! The selection of a power supply in the CS3 (and CS2!) is driving the behaviour of the CS3 in case of a shortage. Too much power on the track in case of a shortage can damage your rolling stock and can cause fire!

By the way: 60W is absolute sufficient for H0.
  • How many locomotives are you running at the same time?

• How many waggons do have light?

• How big is your layout in sqm?

kind regards
Jörg

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline dickinsonj  
#29 Posted : 13 August 2023 01:13:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

you can use the bigger 100W power supply, BUT you should still select the 60W power supply in the settings of the CS3! The selection of a power supply in the CS3 (and CS2!) is driving the behaviour of the CS3 in case of a shortage. Too much power on the track in case of a shortage can damage your rolling stock and can cause fire!

By the way: 60W is absolute sufficient for H0.
  • How many locomotives are you running at the same time?

• How many waggons do have light?

• How big is your layout in sqm?

kind regards
Jörg

This is all excellent advice. If you need more than 60W for HO I think that you need more circuits with boosters.

The modular booster system was designed specifically to address the situation that you are in, where you want to power more things but not overload the wiring.

You can monitor how many amps any one circuit is drawing and see how close to a practical limit you are when running trains. You will either be surprised to see how much margin you have or get a better idea of how many circuits you need.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj