Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2022 23:17:11(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Marklin CS3 versus ESU Ecos for running Marklin, what is the consensus these days.

The topic may have done before, however I think it was more in the days of the Marklin CS2 controller. The newer CS3 is now greatly used and I would be interested to know how it compares with the current Ecos for Marklin running. The CS3 has brilliant graphics now over the last CS2 and loads very quickly. I think the Ecos is the best for DCC and Marklin is MFX. Marklin has come a long way since its days with ESU combined development (ending 2004), have the two systems actually diverged.

Basically is there any preference to using an Ecos on a Marklin MFX system now, many use to use the Ecos.

David

PS I contacted a friend who sells both machines. His view is the CS3 is better technically now, however a nightmare for beginners. Also it was pointed out, Marklin are constantly updating the software for both the CS2/CS3 and MFX decoders, in sync with all, there has to be a difference.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2022 13:57:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
In defense of the CS3, I prefer the full touch screen. If you are going to use a web based or control software such as Rocrail, that wouldn't matter because it dictates to the CS3, or other.
New ESU M4 decosers are in fact full on MFX, so they are auto-recognized by the CS3. I am not certain if the ECOS auto recognizes the Marklin decoders.
The difference in O.S. between them is subtle, all being 32 bit processors. If I had a nice tablet, large I-phone, or a wifi local coneection for my system, the Roco Z-21 Pro may be the best. It has no screen, but the best cab driver graphics. DCC decoders other than Marklin MFX/DCC such as Zimo/Roco are tricky to configure on a CS3. The default address is set at 03, and changing it is even a task, so having more than one Roco digital nmodel requires it. They can all run 2 or 3 rail digital.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2022 15:15:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
No, the CS3 is NOT a nightmare for beginners AND besides there are many tutorials on Youtube on how to use it.
Yes Märklin provides update (last one more than a YEAR ago). So you are not submerged with them. On the other hand, it is nice to get additional features.

You must see it as a Märklin family product. It serves,not only to drive trains but to edit and program:
- synoptic workspace
- locos (Address, Outputs mapping, inertia and much much more)
- sounds that you can edit and program your sound decoders
- automation: Events editing allow you to have track routes, block-systems, and much more
- drive remote units (boosters, other CS2, CS3, MS1 and MS2
- manage and measure the absorbed power
- let a computer, tablet, smart phone take control of your CS3 either using VNC Viewer or a train control software such as Rocrail

Notes:
- many recent Märklin locos are now MFX and editing MFX decoders is MUCH easier on a CS3 or CS2 than using the bloody CVs
- sound programming of mSD2 or mSD3 decoders is possible directly on the programming track.
Just my opinion
Cheers
Jean
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2022 17:04:02(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Bryan,

I have been using my ESU ECoS for the last ten years on my Märklin layout. All of the newer MFX locos register and work perfectly as ESU has regular firmware updates dealing with new Märklin MFX locos. If I was to buy a new system today I would buy into the Märklin CS3 and supplemental accessories. As MFX is Märklin’s own and not third party as ESU was making decoders for Märklin years ago.

My ECoS Has been an excellent choice for the time being and has been working faithfully from day one. I’m quite happy with it but I do know I’m missing out on many aspects that the CS3 can do and the ECoS can not do.

G-day mate!

Michel
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2022 17:16:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You will find that those who have aCS3 like it and those who have a ESU like that. I have a CS3 Plus and find it good and easy to operate.
Only way for you to find which you want is to try both at a dealer although that might not be possible. For me I buy Marklin and both my CS2 and now CS3 have never let me down.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline DB Fan  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2022 03:27:24(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
I agree with David. I researched for the longest time which system to get for my needs and looked in person at the CS3 and the ecos and for me the ecos was the best decision. The reasons where that the ecos comes with a power supply, I’m going to digitize all my analog engines with esu decoders and it seemed more intuitive to me then the CS3. Another reason was that all I need it for is to run my engines and is easy to use. Not looking at any automated running of my trains or wanting to change any cv’s. I started to make a list of what I wanted/needed out of a digital controller and started with a MS2 and found it was not enough. Again these are my personal reasons. Hope it helps.
Happy Model Railroading

Robert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline SNAFU  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2022 03:01:56(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
For me, I got the ECOS because it came with a power supply included in the purchase price. At the time I purchased it I did consider the newly released CS3 and CS3+ but the added cost of getting an extra power pack to operate it put it out of my then budget. I operate locos and accessaries with no problems using delta, MM, MFX and DCC with ESU and D&H decoders. Each to his/her own as this topic has over the years generated many a long discussion and there will always be pro's and con's for each system. As there is no one within several hundred km's from me to my knowledge with a Marklin system to even try a CS3 to compare ( I have used a CS2 350 km away), I am happy with my lot.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SNAFU
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2022 16:02:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
In the early days of the newly developed command stations, it took me 3 years to decide which control station I'll be purchasing, there had been several factors

1.) ESU already produced sound and lokpilot decoders with the ability to change or program the CV's
2.0 ESU produced a lokprogrammer to make it easier to program locos
3.) all Märklin mobile stations were able to be connected to the ECoS or a ECoS link terminal module with an adapter cable.
4.) the amalgamation of the old Märklin Motorola system was easier and also the mobile station 1 loco numbers had increased.
Today I don't use the Motorola digital system any more but we have 4 mobile stations around the layout purely to turn the system on or off and may be at a later stage we use it as a control unit.,

so it served my purpose for many years and many more years to come, unfortunately Märklin in those days wasn't up to it.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2022 16:05:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
In defense of the CS3, I prefer the full touch screen. If you are going to use a web based or control software such as Rocrail, that wouldn't matter because it dictates to the CS3, or other.
New ESU M4 decosers are in fact full on MFX, so they are auto-recognized by the CS3. I am not certain if the ECOS auto recognizes the Marklin decoders.
The difference in O.S. between them is subtle, all being 32 bit processors. If I had a nice tablet, large I-phone, or a wifi local coneection for my system, the Roco Z-21 Pro may be the best. It has no screen, but the best cab driver graphics. DCC decoders other than Marklin MFX/DCC such as Zimo/Roco are tricky to configure on a CS3. The default address is set at 03, and changing it is even a task, so having more than one Roco digital nmodel requires it. They can all run 2 or 3 rail digital.

ECoS doesn't recognise Märklin decoders automatically but I would think you can alter the basic CV's

Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2022 16:07:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Bryan,

I have been using my ESU ECoS for the last ten years on my Märklin layout. All of the newer MFX locos register and work perfectly as ESU has regular firmware updates dealing with new Märklin MFX locos. If I was to buy a new system today I would buy into the Märklin CS3 and supplemental accessories. As MFX is Märklin’s own and not third party as ESU was making decoders for Märklin years ago.

My ECoS Has been an excellent choice for the time being and has been working faithfully from day one. I’m quite happy with it but I do know I’m missing out on many aspects that the CS3 can do and the ECoS can not do.

G-day mate!

Michel

Any specific issues you can't do with the ECoS ?

Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2022 20:27:05(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Bryan,

G-day mate!

Michel

Any specific issues you can't do with the ECoS ?

The Märklin "World of Operation"

https://www.maerklin.de/.../model-train-control/mfx
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2022 23:12:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Problem with non Marklin items is they have to keep up with Marklin. The day may come when we get a CS4 and Marklin locos with different types of decoders.
After buying the Cs1 made by ESU that put me off anything by ESU but I accept things have changed for the better. John above however likes ESU and that proves that it is worth buying as he knows his stuff.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline bph  
#13 Posted : 22 August 2022 23:38:57(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I would say it depends a bit on your preferences, your needs, your other components and what you like.

If you install and program Märklin decoders etc in older locomotives, then you should seriously consider a CS3. JohnjeanB has listed many valid points

With a CS3 and a pc, you can also fully modify and customize sound/decoder projects etc on recent Märklin factory-fitted decodes. (provided that Märklin had released the decoder project and that the decoder has a recent firmware)

But if you use non marklin decoders etc, eg esu decoders/components etc, and don't have the need to reprogram original factory-fitted Marklin decoders. Then the ESU ecos are absolutely worth considering.

as for the statement, CS3 is a beginner's nightmare, that might be true for those who don't bother to read the manual......

My recommendation is to study both controllers closely and make up your own mind, based on your needs and what you like.
Personally, I like to keep mostly to one system in order to have only one customer service to consult and to avoid that different company's customers service blaming each other.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 23 August 2022 06:24:37(UTC)
Goofy

I like ESU Ecos 2 better than CS3. Ecos do have better DCC program and easy to program than Märklin CS3. In fact do Loksound 5 sounds much better than Märklin too. If you are use Loksound i recommended you use Ecos.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
bphDonb
Offline Bryan  
#15 Posted : 23 August 2022 22:47:25(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Does anyone know the size of the RAM in any of the machines.

I have seen somewhere on this bulletin board that the difference between the CS3 and CS2 RAM is four times greater than in the later. As most would know it it the Physical RAM capacity of a computer that is important to clock speed in any computer architecture. The Ecos2 has had plenty of software Updates, however when was its hardware last updated. CS3 was the last for Marklin. It is fundamentals like these that point out the differences in the machines, not necessarily which is better. They are all Linux operating systems and also Motorola format, however the supporting added software and firmware must have changed greatly since the DELTA days. So does anyone know the RAM of any of the controllers in question, Ecos, CS2 CS3 etc.

David
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 24 August 2022 01:10:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know the size of the RAM in any of the machines.

I have seen somewhere on this bulletin board that the difference between the CS3 and CS2 RAM is four times greater than in the later. As most would know it it the Physical RAM capacity of a computer that is important to clock speed in any computer architecture. The Ecos2 has had plenty of software Updates, however when was its hardware last updated. CS3 was the last for Marklin. It is fundamentals like these that point out the differences in the machines, not necessarily which is better. They are all Linux operating systems and also Motorola format, however the supporting added software and firmware must have changed greatly since the DELTA days. So does anyone know the RAM of any of the controllers in question, Ecos, CS2 CS3 etc.

David

I don't know the RAM size, but I would not be surprised to find it is at east 4x larger, i wouldn't be surprised to find it is even larger. The time between the development of the cs2 and cs3 may mean that RAM chips with 16x the capacity would be available at an acceptable price.

But the NAND Flash that makes up the 'disk drive' will also be a similar amount larger for the same reason.

However a major reason for the speed difference between the cs2 and cs3 is that the cs2 uses a single core processor, but the cs3 uses a four core processor. That on its own will give a much greater speed increase than just a larger RAM size.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 24 August 2022 14:01:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Pluus the CS3 ram is expandable via a card slot. Is the ECOS?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 24 August 2022 18:34:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Pluus the CS3 ram is expandable via a card slot. Is the ECOS?

More correctly the cs3 disk space (not RAM) is expandable by using an SD card of up to 32GB. Larger cards use a different format which I don't think the cs3 understands.

I'm not sure if it is possible to expand the 'disk space' by using a USB stick. I think that is only for doing backups and software downloads.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bryan  
#19 Posted : 24 August 2022 22:53:22(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Does the NAND flash store just the system data and or the user data. The system data as I remember was ROM storage, and of course the the old 'hard drive', was for the user. The ROM had firmware for initial boot up data to get the machine to start. Is any of this correct.

David
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 25 August 2022 01:02:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Does the NAND flash store just the system data and or the user data. The system data as I remember was ROM storage, and of course the the old 'hard drive', was for the user. The ROM had firmware for initial boot up data to get the machine to start. Is any of this correct.

David

NAND Flash is what is in USB memory sticks and SD cards. It retains data when the power is removed. NAND Flash chips are also used in SSD drives, and for the cs2, cs3 and other like systems that run embedded Linux,it is used as an SSD drive for the system, storing the program that is loaded when the cs2 or cs3 is powered up, in the same way that a PC uses a hard disk to store programs and data while the power is off.

As you say, there in a PC there is a ROM that provides the initial program load, also generally doing a limited self test as the system wakes up, before loading the main operating system from whatever constitutes the 'hard disk', be it an old style hard disk with rotating platters, or an SSD drive that is fully solid state.

There are a number of variations on a theme, and it doesn't pay to get too worried about most of it. The details can get boring and blurred with the way modern microprocessors/microcomputers work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan