Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2012 09:46:58(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Hi Guy's.
How do you rate these anniversary sets issued in 1985 by Marklin ?

I see lately that Ritter has re-painted some of the sets in different colours etc.

They are all metal construction i am told .

Regards Neil.

20-VOLT-AC attached the following image(s):
0050.jpg
1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2012 10:03:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have see too many on ebay.de and sold up to 110 euro, It is not a rare items.

I rate 5/10.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2012 10:29:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: 20-VOLT-AC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guy's.

I see lately that Ritter has re-painted some of the sets in different colours etc.

Regards Neil.

They were designed to appeal to the nostalgia market. Unfortunately many of the people who might remember playing with the originals are probably dead by now.

These primitive models don't really appeal to me, and I suspect many others think the same. My interest starts at models of the standard being achieved in the mid fifties, in terms of realism and detail.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline LMS800  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2012 16:39:06(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
Hello Neil,
I agree to 100 -130 € for this set in mint condition.
But I have never heard that RITTER sold "re-painted" sets . There are numerous "private painting" of the locos on the market.
Very famous (and rare = expensive) is the set of the toy company Schweiger in Nürnberg, known as "Schweiger-set".
The box is the original Märklin box ( with steam loco), but the train set is now changed to LNER - see picture.
Regards Wolf

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LMS800
Offline frankNL  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2012 23:52:47(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello Neil,

I would rate them 8/10. Ofcourse it's a replica, but now you can play with it (and, even more important, my son Joost can play with it without damaging something that's irreplaceable).
Look for more info at this topic (link):

comparison old replica

best regards,
Frank

edit: that Cursing English
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2012 00:04:52(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I love them! I would critizise that the pick up shoes keep falling off. Other than that the construction quality is very good. I like the toy like look and it is a bit of history at a fraction of the price. You can also get them in good condition, something that would be hard with the originals. Of course I'd rather have the originals with the big screws for the brushes.
Offline frankNL  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2012 01:00:43(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
someone called that the nipples....
regards,
Frank
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2012 03:18:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Neil,

Could'nt see the sense in buying it or playing with it 2/10

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline frankNL  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2012 06:29:56(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Neil,

Could'nt see the sense in buying it or playing with it 2/10

John

Hello John,

What then, in general, is the sense of playing with model trains?!Confused Confused
I don't think these locs are better or worse than any other locs made by M*.
I think the era the locs are referring to just add some depth, plus they are all metal (am I sounding like a commercial?BigGrin ).

best regards,
Frank

Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2012 09:53:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm with John on this.

In the 1930s there was no choice. This was the standard for model trains at the time. Today we expect a much higher standard, unless we are 2 years old.

The set only makes sense for nostalgia purposes, and for me it misses the mark by 20 years.
Ray
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2012 11:11:45(UTC)
H0

Hi, Frank!
Originally Posted by: frankNL Go to Quoted Post
I don't think these locs are better or worse than any other locs made by M*.
An electric loco with 2 instead of 6 axles and only about half of it's prototypical length - Märklin do a bit better now (the recent E 17 has all six axles - and four of them even at the correct position Flapper ).

I might buy one of these sets for nostalgic reasons.
But these are not "models" if we look at them with current standards in mind.
And they are no real "replicas" as they have new motors and gears.

No matter how imperfect they are (model-wise and replica-wise), the original locos are an important milestone on the way to the current MRR. And the 0050 set can bring that old look to your home.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline frankNL  
#12 Posted : 07 May 2012 14:07:07(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

No matter how imperfect they are (model-wise and replica-wise), the original locos are an important milestone on the way to the current MRR. And the 0050 set can bring that old look to your home.

And in a affordable way!
And very playable not only for two year old boys.

regards
Frank

Offline Markus Schild  
#13 Posted : 07 May 2012 14:25:37(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Anybody who wants to run these trains should be aware that they are not as durable as other Märklin-products from the 1980s. I used these trains on exhibitions in museums as a surrogate for the originals. They ran on "press the knob" six days a week, several hours a day. Even with daily re-greasing no loco ran longer than ~100 hours before the worm-gears or the motors were gone. In an exhibition lasting four months I killed about a dozen locos (three trains running at one time).

I'm sure that this train was not manufactured by Märklin, but I don't know the original manufacturer. There are to many details which are fully uncommon for Märklin trains of the 1980s, starting with the Phillips head screws used.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline igf2  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2012 15:21:09(UTC)
igf2

Originally Posted by: LMS800 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Neil,
But I have never heard that RITTER sold "re-painted" sets . There are numerous "private painting" of the locos on the market.
Very famous (and rare = expensive) is the set of the toy company Schweiger in Nürnberg, known as "Schweiger-set".
The box is the original Märklin box ( with steam loco), but the train set is now changed to LNER - see picture.
Regards Wolf

UserPostedImage

May I add that Schweiger sold also in the past LMS Sets and LMS Loks...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
#15 Posted : 07 May 2012 15:23:34(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Today we expect a much higher standard, unless we are 2 years old.

Or unless you are a toy/train collector instead of someone who can only see the value in a detailed model which tomorrow would be yesterday's rubbish.

Don't get me wrong about that, I do like detail like everyone else too but here you are talking about the first models made in that scale. At the time that level of miniaturization was colosal and never seen before. They were a milestone in model railway. The originals cost several times the value of a highly detailed new loco.

People who buy them definitely don't buy them because of their accurate resemblance to their prototype. People buy them because of what they represent. In this forum alone several people model vintage layouts with vintage -innacurate- models. That doesn't make those persons 2 years old.

BTW:If you are a modelist then those sets should miss the mark by about 80 years, not 20!
Offline igf2  
#16 Posted : 07 May 2012 15:50:29(UTC)
igf2

I would love to be 2 years old... But I am far from it...LOL
Offline Ian555  
#17 Posted : 07 May 2012 16:46:15(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Replica Loco and some "real" tin plate wagons.

Ian.

Edited by moderator 19 June 2012 23:36:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Ian555  
#18 Posted : 07 May 2012 16:51:33(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Couple of photo's to go with the video.

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:06:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

Or unless you are a toy/train collector instead of someone who can only see the value in a detailed model which tomorrow would be yesterday's rubbish.

Don't get me wrong about that, I do like detail like everyone else too but here you are talking about the first models made in that scale. At the time that level of miniaturization was colosal and never seen before. They were a milestone in model railway. The originals cost several times the value of a highly detailed new loco.

People who buy them definitely don't buy them because of their accurate resemblance to their prototype. People buy them because of what they represent. In this forum alone several people model vintage layouts with vintage -innacurate- models. That doesn't make those persons 2 years old.

BTW:If you are a modelist then those sets should miss the mark by about 80 years, not 20!

I seem to have struck a nerve here. I apologise if I have given offence to anyone. I never said that only two year olds would appreciate these locos. I was refering to the level of detail which is acceptable from today's models.

Of course the Marklin locos of the thirties should be celebrated, and those who collect these locos are keeping alive the value of those toys in the development of the hobby as a whole.

However, my point is that these replicas are not the originals. They are not even close replicas. They are only poorly made representations of the originals.

Anyway, what is the point in asking us to rate something if you then do not accept my opinion of the subject?

I see a trend here that there are some collectors in this forum who only rate as worthwhile toys which are older than a certain date. Why is this? I am very proud of my collection of Marklin locos and stock representing models from all decades since the fifties. Part of my collection is made up of current models. Is this not then a valid collection? Am I not a collector if I collect modern models?

One day I might extend my collection to pre1950s toy trains, but so far I have been reluctant to do so because they don't satisfy me in terms of fidelity to the prototype.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline igf2  
#20 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:28:19(UTC)
igf2

I do understand your point.

Nevertheless if you are coherent, you might understand as well as your current models form a collection, some members of this forum do consider that those replicas are worth to be collected and as a matter of fact could also belong to what should be seen as a true collection. BigGrin

May I add that those members often collect very old original 00 models and those true replicas, even if they know that there are not quite the same...LOL
Offline Ian555  
#21 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:45:02(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Hands up, who likes Märklin of any age....sorry , I should have said thumps up. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Smile Smile

Enjoy your Märklin.

Ian.

Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 07 May 2012 23:14:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Hands up, who likes Märklin of any age....sorry , I should have said thumps up. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Smile Smile

Enjoy your Märklin.

Ian.

Ah, that would be ME!! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Any Marklin

Any age

Any item

(heck I'd probably have one of the land-mine mechanisms if I could get it - with absolutely NO offence or disrespect intended to the terrible suffering of WWII - not to glorify it, but for me, that item would be a sober reminder of how easily even the innocent manufacture of toys could be tarnished).

I have one each of the 0050 sets, they have had minimal running and I and glad to have read the reports of the poor durability of the motor and drive.

For me, they are good 'models' of the original models - (not the prototype).

Has anyone looked into whether the motor and drive can be replaced with something more robust?

You really wonder why Marklin would release a set that they clearly knew was not going to last the distance.

Perhaps a retrofit motor replacement kit would help?, if 28,000 sets were produced as are sometimes reported, there should be a market.

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#23 Posted : 08 May 2012 00:07:03(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   

I seem to have struck a nerve here. I apologise if I have given offence to anyone. I never said that only two year olds would appreciate these locos. I was refering to the level of detail which is acceptable from today's models.

Of course the Marklin locos of the thirties should be celebrated, and those who collect these locos are keeping alive the value of those toys in the development of the hobby as a whole.

However, my point is that these replicas are not the originals. They are not even close replicas. They are only poorly made representations of the originals.

Anyway, what is the point in asking us to rate something if you then do not accept my opinion of the subject?

I see a trend here that there are some collectors in this forum who only rate as worthwhile toys which are older than a certain date. Why is this? I am very proud of my collection of Marklin locos and stock representing models from all decades since the fifties. Part of my collection is made up of current models. Is this not then a valid collection? Am I not a collector if I collect modern models?

One day I might extend my collection to pre1950s toy trains, but so far I have been reluctant to do so because they don't satisfy me in terms of fidelity to the prototype.

I completely agree with everything you say. Especially in light of recent discussions of collecting Primex, the quality of replicas, and these 0050 commemorative sets, I think we have found that all products of Marklin are collectible (and even ones which are not made by Marklin but based on Marklin designs). I could see many reasons why people would collect the 0050 sets and similar to the reason why people collect Primex it is mostly because they are made of more fragile materials, they are more likely to break and therefore in 20-30 years having a mint, unbroken one would be highly rare / collectible.

As for my collecting tastes, I prefer not to collect on perceived future scarcity or relative quality between products. Instead, I collect on two main factors:

1) Aesthetic appeal (if it looks good and I enjoy the piece then I buy / collect it)
2) If it was scarce when originally sold and/or is more scarce now (if only 30 were produced originally or if only 2 exist today then I buy / collect it)

There is something special about holding onto something that only a few people in the world can see and touch. But I don't hold anything against people that collect based on different factors. I think stocking up on new Marklin products and planning to keep them in pristine condition for the next 30 years sounds like a pretty cool idea. You could create a collection that very few people in the world would have.

As for the original topic of discussion for the 0050 sets, I think they miss the mark in quality but they do capture the essence of the 1930s 00 Marklin locos pretty well.

Paul
Offline mpipa  
#24 Posted : 08 May 2012 00:32:50(UTC)
mpipa

Portugal   
Hello Neil,
Regards Wolf

UserPostedImage

You can see here the Ritter's repaints Wolf
http://www.ritter-restau...Key=3.1;artID=6841;typ=2
Regards,
Manuel

Offline cookee_nz  
#25 Posted : 08 May 2012 04:11:51(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mpipa Go to Quoted Post
Hello Neil,
Regards Wolf

Regards,
Manuel

Thanks for the link Manuel, that's another nice job - putting the unsold 0050 sets through re-work and making them something different.....

If I had one, I would HAVE to put a Thomas Face on the front, I could not help myself - and from what I hear, this set would probably last as long as the real TTE ones do, they have early drive wear as well don't they?

But two more questions now:

1: With all of Ritter's expertise, it would be awesome if they would also attend to the poor motor/drive design

2: Are we going to start seeing original 'untouched' 0050 sets climb in value? - (well, there are now less of them in the market) LOL

I don't have my sets here to refer to, but for those who do have one, I presume the engines have serial numbers like other Marklin items?

I wonder if it is a separate serial number range just for the 0050 set?, this is probably waaaay too easy but if they were separate, and we could establish which number they started at, who has the highest serial number?

To Paul Deardorff, perhaps a study / article into serial numbers might be of interest? ThumpUp

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne

010.302_gross.jpg

Edited by user 17 October 2019 02:03:37(UTC)  | Reason: Image fix - comment added (17/10 fixed quote tag)

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#26 Posted : 08 May 2012 04:19:05(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Hello Neil,
Regards Wolf

Regards,
Manuel

To Paul Deardorff, perhaps a study / article into serial numbers might be of interest? ThumpUp

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne

It would be a fun thing to do...I tried it once with the very small sample of "recent" Marklin items I have and I noticed the codes are much more complex -- I remember the instruction sheets had the weakest codes and I think I was able to get a print quantity out of them just like I have done with the earlier materials. Cracking the product codes would probably require a relatively large sample of sets and perhaps a comparison with Marklin products similar serial numbers (if Marklin locos have serial numbers?). Only if we are lucky would the # produced be in this code.

Did instruction sheets come with the 0050 set?

Paul

P.S. I hope we're not getting off topic. I think in general we can say this is an entirely 0050 topic, discussing all aspects. BigGrin

Edited by moderator 17 October 2019 02:05:18(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quote tag

Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 08 May 2012 09:38:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
if Marklin locos have serial numbers?
For a few decades (since 1981) they have.
It's a serial number without reference to the article number or the quantity made (AFAIK).
See also:
https://www.marklin-user...ive-s-serial-number.aspx
Many models are not made in a single batch. And it seems the serial number is sometimes applied to a pre-made loco frame, therefore items delivered in 2012 may come with 2011 serial numbers.

Knowing the smallest and the largest serial number of a model may not indicate the quantity that was made.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#28 Posted : 08 May 2012 19:08:29(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Hello uy's
Thanks everyone who has replied to this topic, it certainly is of interest to members on this forum.

Now i have heard of the "weak drive" system it may put me off buying one as i like to run my trains every week.

Are drive spares available for these 0050 sets ?

Regards Neil.

1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline Markus Schild  
#29 Posted : 09 May 2012 13:24:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   

Hi Neil,

Märklin does not deliver any spare-parts any more. This is understandable, the trains are 27 years old today.

But there are so many unused trains around, that there will never be a lack of spares. Compete new sets with two trains reach around 100.-- EUR on Ebay Germany today. So it's also affordable to buy a second set for spares. If Märklin still would sell motors and gears, they would be more expensive.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#30 Posted : 09 May 2012 14:10:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi Neil,

Märklin does not deliver any spare-parts any more. This is understandable, the trains are 27 years old today.

But there are so many unused trains around, that there will never be a lack of spares. Compete new sets with two trains reach around 100.-- EUR on Ebay Germany today. So it's also affordable to buy a second set for spares. If Märklin still would sell motors and gears, they would be more expensive.

Regards

Markus

The BEST thing about this forum is the sharing of info.

In this thread Feb last year I was given a link to "sb modellbau" for getting replacement helical gears for my Faller 402 Motorised Container Terminal - the gears often split and then the drive is unreliable.

Well I've had another bell going "ding ding ding" in the back of my head (no, the nearby Sydenham railway crossing is too far away Smile ) - I'm thinking, "this all sounds very familiar"

Did some research, found the old link and well, waddya know, our friends at SB Modellbau appear to make a replacement motor drive kit for the 0050

Price is 80 Euro's so not really that cheap, but then again if it is a high-quality retro-fit kit, I would probably invest. And gives me a reason to get some Faller gear kits at the same time and make the whole purchase worthwhile.

Is this helpful?
Has anyone tried one of these kits?
Anyone want to be guinea-pig?

I would gladly, but my sets are back home in NZ so I am unable.

From the image, does it look like much improvement over the original? - anyone got one they can whip the top off and post a decent closeup - (especially one that's worn out to compare)

Would this appear to be a long-lasting drive for display running?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
0050-motorkit-sbmodellbau.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#31 Posted : 09 May 2012 14:28:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

(snip)
Did instruction sheets come with the 0050 set?

Paul

P.S. I hope we're not getting off topic. I think in general we can say this is an entirely 0050 topic, discussing all aspects. BigGrin

Hi Paul,

"Off topic"?? - no such thing in the world of Marklin BigGrin - I suggest we could be discussing what Caroline Märklin fed Eugen and Karl for breakfast in 1870 and we'd still be "on topic" !!!

I have a copy of the instruction sheet (I think someone here emailed it to me) - it's pretty basic but does show how to remove the cover, where to oil, changing the bulb and of course the replacement part listing - can email you if you want it.

Regards

Steve
Melbourne

Edited by user 17 October 2019 02:06:34(UTC)  | Reason: fix quote tag

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#32 Posted : 09 May 2012 19:58:27(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi Neil,

Regards

Markus

The BEST thing about this forum is the sharing of info.

In this thread Feb last year I was given a link to "sb modellbau" for getting replacement helical gears for my Faller 402 Motorised Container Terminal - the gears often split and then the drive is unreliable.

Well I've had another bell going "ding ding ding" in the back of my head (no, the nearby Sydenham railway crossing is too far away Smile ) - I'm thinking, "this all sounds very familiar"

Did some research, found the old link and well, waddya know, our friends at SB Modellbau appear to make a replacement motor drive kit for the 0050

Price is 80 Euro's so not really that cheap, but then again if it is a high-quality retro-fit kit, I would probably invest. And gives me a reason to get some Faller gear kits at the same time and make the whole purchase worthwhile.

Is this helpful?
Has anyone tried one of these kits?
Anyone want to be guinea-pig?

I would gladly, but my sets are back home in NZ so I am unable.

From the image, does it look like much improvement over the original? - anyone got one they can whip the top off and post a decent closeup - (especially one that's worn out to compare)

Would this appear to be a long-lasting drive for display running?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne

Hi Cookee.
Thanks for sharing the replacement motor info with us, it will help the members here, if anyone has tried this replacement unit for the 0050 LOKS then please give us a review of them.

Ritter has issued some 0050 sets in different liveries / colours but at 300 EURO's per set ( 1 LOK and 3 Wagons / coaches ) they might struggle to sell them.

I would like to make / re-paint a British LNER green set with the steam LOK and three coaches from 0050 set.

Check out the Ritter website under "collectors items" and you can see their restored versions.

Regards Neil.

1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline john black  
#33 Posted : 22 May 2012 18:10:12(UTC)
john black

United States   

How do you rate these anniversary sets issued in 1985 by M ?

Let alone that horror of a drivetrain (plain junk!) I do love and own
the lil' tinplate steamer w/ 'em three tinplate coaches. Just sweet ... LoveThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Marco Gilardetti  
#34 Posted : 19 June 2012 13:08:49(UTC)
Marco Gilardetti

Italy   
I have mixed feelings about this reissue.

First thing: I'm glad they did it, and the coaches and cars look pretty good compared to the few original units that I own (well, the paint they used back then was much more vivid than the semi-matte paint of the replicas, but let's forget this for a while...). The original units, the locos especially, have now reached almost impossible prices, so the reissue box is the only viable alternative for most of us who want to enjoy these nice old "toy" trains.

On the other hand, though, the locos are so poorly made that I also second the idea that they may have not been manufactured by Marklin. The idea of using a DC motor by means of that uselessly complicated AC/DC rectifier full of electronics is, in a word, horrible (and extremely anti-Marklin style). The traingear is plain awful, by far the worst I've ever seen, and especially the first wormwheel seems made with pure putty (for politeness' sake I'm not mentioning other kind of materials...) and worns out almost instantly. The fact that everything is assembled by means of phillips screws, never used by Marklin, also adds to the hypothesis.

Although Marklin must have been overwhelmed by complains concerning especially that pathetic traingear, they didn't care to stock up a huge quantity of spare parts, not even to mention devise a better conceived replacement gear unit, to fulfill the customers' requests. So we're up with leftovers now. And I suppose it's quite useless to stock up loose locos as the wormwheel is clearly the weak point of the system, and each of them will be worn out in the exact same way to some extent.

So, thank you for posting the link to that € 80 replacement unit, I ignored its existence before and I don't see any other trail if we want to keep these things going. I don't like trains in a shrine, so I will probably be the brave stalwart who is going to test it. I have written to the producer inquiring what I was exactly going to receive for the whooping € 80 price. They did not take care to answer, which is not exactly a promising start methinks.
Offline river6109  
#35 Posted : 19 June 2012 13:32:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
1/10
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NZMarklinist  
#36 Posted : 19 June 2012 17:47:55(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Yep, I agree with you John, altho 1/10 might not even be worthy Unsure if this replica set is so poorly made, whats the point, an absolute disgrace.

Fortunately these days they (M) are focusing on more acurate models with quality build. I hope the 300xx models are not poor copies in nice Blue boxes.
Marklin please move ahead with quality, acuracy and inovation in new models, and let they be models of the original, not a crap replica.

I am still insensed, that after the great fanfare for SDS as the future, we have gone backwards ThumbDown

I recently got a few more I haven't fessed up about yet Blushing
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
#37 Posted : 20 June 2012 00:06:01(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
models of the original, not a crap replica.

Most of the originals locos from this time no longer exists because the bad quality castings from the time so the crap term is quite relative.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#38 Posted : 20 June 2012 02:03:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

You really wonder why Marklin would release a set that they clearly knew was not going to last the distance.

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne

Hi Steve,
I guess that model train manufacturers routinely sell items with a deliberate obsolescence, for the toy market. It all relates to costs.

I was reading a few weeks ago, that Hornby Dublo (and Hornby Acho) did this in the early 1960s with a particular train set, that was intended for a "price" market.
I think the motor was designed for 100 hours of use.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline cookee_nz  
#39 Posted : 20 June 2012 08:09:53(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Cookee
Melbourne

Hi Steve,
I guess that model train manufacturers routinely sell items with a deliberate obsolescence, for the toy market. It all relates to costs.

I was reading a few weeks ago, that Hornby Dublo (and Hornby Acho) did this in the early 1960s with a particular train set, that was intended for a "price" market.
I think the motor was designed for 100 hours of use.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball, the big difference in this case of course is that with the 0050 Märklin specifically and deliberately targeted the collector market, the nostalgia appeal, pure and simple.

The 0050 was not a toy train aimed at children, and from what I read of the experience of others it would seem the Thomas and Friends set would outlast the 0050 replica's and that's saying something because TTE does not have a glowing longevity endorsement either. ThumbDown

So here's another question, I have the TTE set and the Hogwart's Express set. Both of these items were produced in cooperation/partnership with Hornby. I have always considered Hornby to generally have a good reputation for quality "in it's class" and the retailers generally seem to be quite well stocked.

Does anyone have any experience of the Hogwart set re the quality/durability of the Loco? - or is this going to become another 'display-only' item? That would be double-plus ungood ThumbDown ThumbDown

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Marco Gilardetti  
#40 Posted : 20 June 2012 09:24:24(UTC)
Marco Gilardetti

Italy   
I was forgetting to add that the light system is so poorly engineered that it's almost as if the locos had no illumination at all. Why they didn't simply screw in a lamp in the front - which is actually what they used to do back then - instead of that ill-conceived optical guide is beyond my comprehension.
#41 Posted : 20 June 2012 12:15:51(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   

Does anyone have any experience of the Hogwart set re the quality/durability of the Loco? - or is this going to become another 'display-only' item? That would be double-plus ungood ThumbDown ThumbDown

Cheers

Cookee

I have used one of the Marklin Hogwart sets a reasonable amount of time and seems to be "reliable" enough for constant use. Having said that I would not recommend it as a great buy. On a different note I seriously doubt the Thomas range locomotives can outlast -without repairs- the locos in the 0050 set because I have plenty of experience with them and I know what to expect. My opinion of them is something I can't disclose here.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#42 Posted : 20 June 2012 17:16:20(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Quote:
=Iamnotthecrazyone;342554. My opinion of them is something I can't disclose here.

I think you are allowed to disclose your opinion here, that is what this forum is about, Unsure No ??

Nobody should flame you if it is a bad opinion they don't agree with, surely ?? Wink

Edited by moderator 17 October 2019 01:58:12(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quoting tag

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline cookee_nz  
#43 Posted : 20 June 2012 22:47:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
. My opinion of them is something I can't disclose here.

I think you are allowed to disclose your opinion here, that is what this forum is about, Unsure No ??

Nobody should flame you if it is a bad opinion they don't agree with, surely ?? Wink

I suspect it was more the case that the language required to convey the appropriate sentiment may not be suitable for such a refined gentleman's club as we have here Blushing

Edited by user 17 October 2019 01:59:36(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quoting tag

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline uhwerk  
#44 Posted : 22 June 2012 03:33:06(UTC)
uhwerk

Hi Guy's.

Regards Neil.

I bought one for my father years ago for Christmas... he gave me his original Spur 0 Marklin set from his childhood in Holland:

UserPostedImage
Marklin clockwork train set by benmesander, on Flickr

I thought it was nice that the steam set was very similar to the O gauge set he gave me. He sets it up at Christmas and absolutely loves it.
#45 Posted : 23 June 2012 00:48:16(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: uhwerk Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guy's.

Regards Neil.

I bought one for my father years ago for Christmas... he gave me his original Spur 0 Marklin set from his childhood in Holland:

UserPostedImage
Marklin clockwork train set by benmesander, on Flickr

I thought it was nice that the steam set was very similar to the O gauge set he gave me. He sets it up at Christmas and absolutely loves it.

Very nice set!
Offline cookee_nz  
#46 Posted : 23 June 2012 04:25:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Guy's.

Regards Neil.

Nice set, do you have the original box lid and does it still have the original label on the end flap? - photo's? (I love Starter sets)

Cheers

Cookee
(7 sleeps to N.Z.)
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline uhwerk  
#47 Posted : 23 June 2012 04:42:18(UTC)
uhwerk

Nice set, do you have the original box lid and does it still have the original label on the end flap? - photo's? (I love Starter sets)

Cheers

Cookee
(7 sleeps to N.Z.)

UserPostedImage
Marklin Spur 0 trainset by benmesander, on Flickr

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Still gets played with...

UserPostedImage
Semaphore by benmesander, on Flickr

More fun, take over a whole room with Marklin 0 tinplate:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/benmesander/941350/
Offline cookee_nz  
#48 Posted : 23 June 2012 11:27:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Cheers

Cookee
(7 sleeps to N.Z.)

Ah, nearly what I wanted, nice pics but I meant the label with the set number on it - I suspect a set similar to R900/3 or R910/3 from 1938 - early 50's ?? - the code label is often found on the flap at the edge of the box, if it has survived of course.

Image attached from the catalogue 1938/39, what are the Loco and wagon numbers on yours? That will help narrow it down.

Cheers

Steve
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
R900set.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline uhwerk  
#49 Posted : 24 June 2012 05:37:26(UTC)
uhwerk

Cheers

Cookee
(7 sleeps to N.Z.)

Ah, nearly what I wanted, nice pics but I meant the label with the set number on it - I suspect a set similar to R900/3 or R910/3 from 1938 - early 50's ?? - the code label is often found on the flap at the edge of the box, if it has survived of course.

Image attached from the catalogue 1938/39, what are the Loco and wagon numbers on yours? That will help narrow it down.

Cheers

Steve

I checked, no label. The loco is a black r890.

Offline uhwerk  
#50 Posted : 24 June 2012 05:39:32(UTC)
uhwerk

It came with three 17230 coaches in green.