Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline frankNL  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2011 10:39:47(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

Seems like Grandfather will have sold his loc soon so now I have the (probably only) opportunity to post a topic about the visual comparison between old (the prewar LNER R700) and replica (the replica of the same loc now in a German version 0050-D). I presume that's done before, probably better, but not by me. It's for me (and hopefully not only me) interesting to read comments about the changed technology over the years.

I do not know whether this section of the forum is the right place to post this topic but if not I think our webmaster will be happy BigGrin to redirect it to the right spot.

I will leave a message in the colector's corner in the topic that I started 19 november about the LNER R700 to draw peoples attention to this topic (this to also get comments about the prewar technology of the LNER R700).

Here the first photos, more will follow
frankNL attached the following image(s):
comparison 1.jpg
comparison 2.jpg
comparison 3.jpg
comparison 4.jpg
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2011 10:44:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry Frank, I don't see your photos.

Edit: There they are! Sorry for my impatience!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline frankNL  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2011 10:48:03(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Sorry busy uploading, it's not my job you know...

edit: appology accepted, maybe I was a bit slow, sorry about that.
regards,
Frank
Offline frankNL  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2011 08:55:04(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

here are a few more:

regards
Frank
comparison 5.jpg
comparison 6.jpg
comparison 7.jpg
Offline Roberto Romano  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2011 20:07:16(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Frank,

Thank you for showing the side-by-side photos of the 0050 and vintage R700 engines. Indeed both are beautiful engines. I bought the two engines in the 0050 set with 3 tin passenger cars 327.1, gondola 365.10 in ebay but were in a terrible rusty conditionSad , they looked as if they were submerged in water for a long timeCursing . Both Faulhaber motors were completely frozenMad, no box. I managed to clean and revive themThumpUp BigGrin and now they are able to run. The good outcomeTongue of this is that both engines look weathered and rather nice.
Regards, Roberto
Offline frankNL  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2011 09:17:28(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

Again thanks Roberto, luckily the outcome for your 0050 is in the end good!
Maybe you want to show it here?

regards,
Frank

Offline frankNL  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2011 07:25:30(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Here some more photos from the right side of the locs
I hope other owners of this loc/locs want to post photos of them here, this to make the comparison more interesting to all of us.
Maybe someone is willing to comment on the paint M* uses/used, the logo, the construction etc etc.
Any way here are 4 more photos
regards
Frank

Edited by user 12 December 2011 12:32:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

comparison 8.jpg
comparison 9.jpg
comparison 10.jpg
comparison 11.jpg
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2011 08:05:22(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
great photos...I too was interested in how Marklin made their models in the 1930s and 1940s and so I thought the only way I would know for sure is to try and do it myself. Unfortunately I don't like to comment on how they painted the locos / what kinds of paints they used because to me that is the most important aspect to determine fakes from originals. the exact alloy of metal can be made and exact molds can produce perfect castings but paint is a whole different story. I like to think of the paint as the "skin" / "face" of the train because it is really tells a lot about the character of the train.

Anyway Marklin used the very expensive method of Zinc diecasting to produce the metal parts like the outer frame, inner frame and wheels of the locomotive. This method allows for very precise castings with very little shrinkage (almost none) and few other faults like air bubbles (oh no!). It basically involves the creation of several steel mold pieces which are machined and then fitted together with some holes in them (gates / channels) where the hot metal is injected at elevated pressure to fill all the mold cavities. The steel mold itself is heated also as to minimize interference with the hot metal. Of course now we have a solid steel box with a beautiful Zinc casting inside and we have to get it out. The mold must be designed as such to not destroy the casting inside when it is removed. This requires many complicated techniques involving "draft" (sloping of flat edges) and multiple part molds in areas of undercutting. Of course any through-holes in the casting would also have to be drilled out later. If one looks closely at the SLR 700 shell one can see where the hot metal was injected on the underside (there are 6 little cylinders present which have been milled off). There are also parting lines from the mold pieces just under the hand railing, cleverly hidden to not draw attention.

My theory is that the wheels were done in a similar way but were perhaps put on a lathe in the pre-war years to get better edges on the wheel flanges.

Other tinplate parts such as the R 700 housing (outer shell) were stamped metal out of sheets of tinplate and special punches / forms were used to shape it and add detailing.

We don't know much about the production of these locos but all of this information I have found just by looking at what I have and seeing how it could have been done. I have a few factory photos of the production process but none from the 1930s for 00 scale.

Best regards,

Paul

BTW I said in the beginning that I would try and do it myself...I never actually got around to producing all the parts but did learn a lot of information from expert metal casters, especially those who operated foundries in the 1940s and 1950s.
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 12 December 2011 09:11:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great comparison photos, Frank! ThumpUp

I like how the satin finish of the replica contrasts with the hard gloss of the original.

I have to say that I find the replica much more attractive in every way!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 12 December 2011 10:17:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Great comparison photos, Frank! ThumpUp

I like how the satin finish of the replica contrasts with the hard gloss of the original.

I have to say that I find the replica much more attractive in every way!

I find the original more attractive with the 2 nipples sticking out Laugh
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline frankNL  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2011 12:10:49(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Thanks Paul, that was the kind of information I was looking for, not only for me but also for Grandfather! Thanks also for the time you take to reply!
It is very interesting to read about production processes, to admire the skills of craftsmen, especially what they were capable of 70+ years ago!

About reproducing: the only thing I can produce is music (for flute; I'm a musician and, except for the flute, I'm not very technical I'm afraid).

We plan to make a (photo)book for Grandfather about his old loc with photos, forum comments, correspondation, what happened after it came from the attic (...) and as much background information as possible, so (to all) please comment on everything!

As to Ray: there is a difference just to see photos and touching and observing such a loc for real and from all angles. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I agree the replica is goodlooking too (even without the nipples John is referring to).

I just realised the title of this topic is unintentional fairly well chosen because 'comparison old-new' was not entirely correct: the replica itself dates back from 1985...

regards
Frank
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by frankNL
Offline frankNL  
#12 Posted : 13 December 2011 13:07:12(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
yet another angle:

regards
Frank
comparison 12.jpg
comparison 13.jpg
Offline frankNL  
#13 Posted : 14 December 2011 13:34:09(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
bottoms up
comparison 14.jpg
comparison 15.jpg
comparison 16.jpg
comparison 17.jpg
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 14 December 2011 22:22:11(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thank you a lot, Frank - lovely comparison topic with great pictures !!! ThumpUp
Do really enjoy it since I too do own the steamer & passenger cars from set #0050 ...

BTW, it's so nice a topic it rather deserves a place at our "Collectors Corner",
what do you think ?

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Falconrep  
#15 Posted : 14 December 2011 22:42:06(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Great pics, I started collecting Marklin in 1978 and became fascinated with the pre-WW2 versions of Marklin fairly early. I started to pick up cars w/ claw couplers and the 3 rail tracks, the ones with the actual solid 3rd rail like Lionel. Several of the old electrical devices like switches that had cloth covered wires sooooo Cool, Then one day on a return trip from Disney with my son I happened on the rare version of this model that was the US export model. It still has the buffers like the ones in the pics except there is a sheetmetal stamping of a cow catcher, which was what made it the "export" version.
Apparently most of these were destroyed in WW2 scrap drives and I had to have it. While the negotiations might have left me without a son (as I was willing to leave him as collateral) :-( Not really.
We came to an agreement and I took home this loco and several other prime period pieces.
When I got it home I noticed the wheels wouldn't turn, and I was initially afraid to damage it. After some thought and checking what I found was that somewhere in its life it had gotten the rear set of wheels out of gauge and they were hard up against the frame. A little regauging and off it went.... at the time over 50 years old and still running. It has a manual reverse which never worked, I think this is a wiring issue in the actual motor so I never did anything about it.
I then bought the 0050 set because I did not want to run my real loco with my old cars, so when I get the urge to play with the "classic" Marklin I use the steam replica with the original tender and all original consist.
Such fun and so noisy as these all sheet metal cars clatter along.
Thomas Wondrock
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#16 Posted : 14 December 2011 22:48:11(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Really great pictures, Frank...it is interesting to see this comparison.

Of course I would go for the "old" quality any day rather than the newer stuff, but they two give off a similar feeling.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline frankNL  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2011 07:27:19(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Happy to be back in the collector's corner!
Enjoy the comparison and please reply!
Frank
Offline frankNL  
#18 Posted : 15 December 2011 08:11:25(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Thanks Thomas for your remarkable story.
It's often the story that makes the difference between the old stuff and the newer stuff.
Thanks for sharing! Maybe you also want to share a photo of your old loc?
(since we're back in the collector's corner we want the 'real' stuff Wink )
Let's add a little Tender-ness:
regards Frank
comparison 18.jpg
comparison 19.jpg
Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 15 December 2011 22:31:55(UTC)
john black

United States   
ThumpUpThumpUpThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline frankNL  
#20 Posted : 19 December 2011 09:34:17(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

Yesterday Grandfathers loc has been sold so I can't present more photo's of the beautiful past of the Märklin history (referred to this LNER R700) and the differences compared to the more modern locs.

Please send your replies about striking differences on the already presented photo's. For instance: on the 'green loc' there is this stamp 'made in Germany'; on the replica from 1985 you can see the W before Germany just a few years before the iron curtain came down..

Please expand this thread if you for instance possess both a very old version (or even a prototype) of a loc and a more modern version of the same loc.
Maybe you want to compare the RS 700 and it's replica from the 0050 box?
Etc etc.

Let's make this thread a resource of photo's from (particulary) the magnificent old locs Märklin made and newer versions or replicas!
If you want to start your own thread about a similar topic please post a link to it in this thread. Thank you!

Wish you all a magnificent Christmas time, and a very good start in 2012!

regards
Frank
Offline frankNL  
#21 Posted : 04 January 2012 21:21:25(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Happy new year to everybody!

I wonder.... are there somewhere out there people who want to compare there old trains with newer versions? Just to satisfy my curiosity.. (and maybe that of some more people)

regards,
Frank