Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennabm  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2011 20:09:40(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Following on from the orphaned items thread, the bits I needed for my resto arrived yesterday.BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks to Jacques (jvuye)I now have two bogies to fit my laid up 4015.
This shell I obtained around 20 years ago as a throwaway when attending a train show. Nobody else was interested in the wreck so I took it, hoping one day to repair it.
UserPostedImage
As you can see some previous less careful owner had decided to paint the roof dark grey.
I, at some point, scraped it to see what was underneath.

Well that day has come and the strip down has started.BigGrin
UserPostedImage
The first thing the observant of you will notice is that while I now have the necessary bogies, the pivots for them are not there. This I had forgotten during its 20 years in storage.Blushing

That problem will be for another day.
Today I have taken the doors and roof and rubbed them back to bare metal. The first coat of clear zinc paint (an excellent match btw and obtainable from Frosts.co.uk)has gone on. This will then be flatted carefully before a final coat applied.
When this has been done I will take pictures as well as planning how to attach my new bogies to the bodyUnsure

More coming soon........................

1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2011 20:47:25(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Looks like good work on the coach. ThumpUp

Are you going to the Glasgow show next weekend, I'll be there on Saturday.

Ian.

Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2011 08:40:57(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Following on from the orphaned items thread, the bits I needed for my resto arrived yesterday.BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks to Jacques (jvuye)I now have two bogies to fit my laid up 4015.
This shell I obtained around 20 years ago as a throwaway when attending a train show. Nobody else was interested in the wreck so I took it, hoping one day to repair it.

As you can see some previous less careful owner had decided to paint the roof dark grey.
I, at some point, scraped it to see what was underneath.

Well that day has come and the strip down has started.BigGrin

The first thing the observant of you will notice is that while I now have the necessary bogies, the pivots for them are not there. This I had forgotten during its 20 years in storage.Blushing

That problem will be for another day.
Today I have taken the doors and roof and rubbed them back to bare metal. The first coat of clear zinc paint (an excellent match btw and obtainable from Frosts.co.uk)has gone on. This will then be flatted carefully before a final coat applied.
When this has been done I will take pictures as well as planning how to attach my new bogies to the bodyUnsure

More coming soon........................

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the pivots not being there, but I'm assuming you mean the studs they are meant to mount on, secured by a "c-clip". This being the case, you should then have two holes in the chassis where the mounts are missing from.

I was pondering this for a hopefully-simple solution for you and if it was me, I would secure the trucks with a screw each, possibly some washers if needed and a couple of nuts to lock it.

I've attached some example images of what I mean, the truck may not be identical to yours, but they are all very similar, (the side frames are removed for clarity).

I simply grabbed some 'close-enough' spare hardware (screw, nuts, washers) that I had handy, if you don't have anything like this, your local hardware or electronics/auto spares/hobby shop should have a good range to choose from. You want the screw thread diameter to be as snug a fit as possible through the truck hole so that it turns freely but with minimal slop.

So the idea is, the screw through the hole (head facing down), and if required, possibly a washer either side of the truck hole - probably depends on the size of the screw head as much as anything. Then you will also need two nuts - one for each side of the coach base hole. You may actually need three nuts to allow height/gap adjustment.

If you are lucky, the bottom nut may be about the same thickness as the original mount, which makes it easier.

Either way, you need to secure the screw so that it does not work loose, AND get the spacing between the top of the truck and the underside of the coach base correct. That part I can't photo because I don't have any coaches with the mount missing. If you only use two nuts, then as an alternative you can try to adjust the truck/frame gap with washers.

Obviously you do NOT tighten the nut against the truck, that would prevent it turning freely. Both nuts should be tightened against the base, but if the height is then wrong, that is where additional washers or different nut thickness should give you the required gap/height adjustment whilst keeping the truck stable. In fact, it does not matter if the truck can 'float' up and down the screw, it's just the height when the coach is resting on the truck that matters. If it was original, the only reason for the c-clip is to stop the truck falling off when the coach is lifted.

Bit hard to explain really but if you give it a go, I think you'll follow what I'm trying to explain. If you look at the image, the two nuts are intended for either side of the frame. The washer is the same thickness as the three 'dimples' around the truck top portion.

Others may have better suggestions than this that I have not considered, I usually go with what I'm familiar with and can do with what is on hand. Being an I.T. Tech, perhaps I have a better than average assortment of screws, bolts & springs than most but the screws shown I did actually buy from my hardware store for some other reason.
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
4015-truckmount-1.jpg
4015-truckmount-2.jpg
4015-truckmount-3.jpg
4015-truckmount-4.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2011 11:37:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Having just taken another look at your picture, my suggestion above of course assumes the base of the coach is there, but if it's not then you'll need to fabricate or obtain an entire replacement base. That would be a whole different ballgame. Can you post any pics of the underside just to confirm?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline hennabm  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2011 14:23:12(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Cookee
Thanks for the advise.ThumpUp
Yes the base is there and as you quite rightly say, there are just holes where the pivots should be.Woot

I had thought along similar lines - using a BA nut and bolt and using lock nuts to secure and provide the pivot.
I shall be visiting the hardware store tomorrow to see what can be found as suitable.

BTW the doors are now painted and the roof is in primer. I just need some real smooth flatting paper before going on to top coat.Wink
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2011 10:24:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Cookee
Thanks for the advise.ThumpUp
Yes the base is there and as you quite rightly say, there are just holes where the pivots should be.Woot

I had thought along similar lines - using a BA nut and bolt and using lock nuts to secure and provide the pivot.
I shall be visiting the hardware store tomorrow to see what can be found as suitable.
Wink

Well...If I had only known!RollEyes
I could have machined the two replacement pivots with the proper tolerances, that you'd simply have bolted underneath the chassis and be done with it!
Besides, it is not a 4015....but a 348/1.Wink
Let me know if you can't solve the problem with Cookee's "nuts and bolts" solution...(the spacing between bogie and chassis could be off by a few mm if you can't find a really thin nut!)
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2011 11:37:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Well...If I had only known!RollEyes
I could have machined the two replacement pivots with the proper tolerances, that you'd simply have bolted underneath the chassis and be done with it!
Besides, it is not a 4015....but a 348/1.Wink
Let me know if you can't solve the problem with Cookee's "nuts and bolts" solution...(the spacing between bogie and chassis could be off by a few mm if you can't find a really thin nut!)
Cheers

If you would take a close up picture so that I could see the type of fixtures present on the chassis I'll just make these two pivots for you...let's not futz around, and do it right the first time!

Cheers
Offline hennabm  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2011 18:55:39(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I did say it had been a long time since I looked at the shellBlushing
Anyway I hope these photos are close enough for you as they are the best my little compact camera will do.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I hadn't realised that it was a 348/1 until I unwrapped I the other day. Anyway any help will be much appreciated in returning this wagon to the rails.ThumpUp

PS payment delayed as the bank phoned today to say I had used the wrong form. Apparently International payments does NOT include Euro banksWoot Cursing

PPS I too have lost the notifiaction e mails so am a little tardy in replying. SorryBlushing
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:02:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I did say it had been a long time since I looked at the shellBlushing
Anyway I hope these photos are close enough for you as they are the best my little compact camera will do.

I hadn't realised that it was a 348/1 until I unwrapped I the other day. Anyway any help will be much appreciated in returning this wagon to the rails.

OK, it looks like that this one is not the version with a clipped-on bogie, but needs a special pivot screw.
I think it is good news, it is easier to make or provide/fabricate (I may even still have a couple of these waiting in my "bags of tricks".)
Check your private mail for more info.

Let's keep the "Orphan items" topic alive...it will end up giving a second life to Märklin "Old Glories" items!

Cheers
Offline hennabm  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2011 22:53:27(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Looking through the Kolls it seems my shell was made between 1952 and 1955 as it has a centre guide for the door mechansim (making it after 1951) and it has a silver interior floor making it before 1956.

Well, I never knew that before...Cool

Further progress with the roof paint should be made in the next day or two.Smile
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 25 February 2011 11:00:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Looking through the Kolls it seems my shell was made between 1952 and 1955 as it has a centre guide for the door mechansim (making it after 1951) and it has a silver interior floor making it before 1956.

Further progress with the roof paint should be made in the next day or two.Smile

....and here are the "functional equivalent" pivots bolts coming fresh from the machine shop!
Watch your (snail)mail!Smile
jvuye attached the following image(s):
P225618lite.jpg
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 25 February 2011 11:53:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

....and here are the "functional equivalent" pivots bolts coming fresh from the machine shop!
Watch your (snail)mail!Smile

Ah perfect indeed - yes once a picture was up I could see that the threaded support was in the floor which makes it a whole heap easier and more professional. I was assuming that those had gone and there was literally just a hole.

As they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

Good work Jacques - now if you could tell me how I could get brass helical gear machined for the Faller AMS Container Terminal (to replace the split plastic ones) I'd be a happy camper too!!

ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 25 February 2011 14:18:06(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Good work Jacques - now if you could tell me how I could get brass helical gear machined for the Faller AMS Container Terminal (to replace the split plastic ones) I'd be a happy camper too!!

ThumpUp

Hello Cookee!

Helical gears?

There are a number of sources for these, and I'll be glad to help you find the right one.

But one needs to first know the dimensions needed for your application
To start, a picture would greatly help understanding what we are talking about.

Sorry, but I don't have any AMS equipment so you have to help me here!Wink

Is it a worm (= screw) meshing with a toothed wheel?
If yes, one has to measure the pitch of the worm (space between two teeth), the number of threads (usually one or two) and also define the gear it meshes with.
I am 100% sure Faller used the metric system , so the gear itself will be defined by its "module" (usually mod 0.4 for Märklin HO gear, probably smaller for Faller AMS)

Then you need to measure the outside diameter and count the number of teeth.(If you don't have the mod value, I can explain how to simply calculate it from the outside diameter and teeth count)

Accessorily, to be able to manufacture that gear one needs to know the thickness of the wheel and the diameter of the shaft it will be mounted on.
I would guess Faller uses angled teeth on the worm gear (unlike Meccano who was meshing worm gears with straight toothed wheels and pinions!!Woot Woot )

If you can get this data, we can move on.

If it is indeed mod 0.4 and it is straight theething, you are in luck: I have the series of milling cutters to make any of these from 12t to infinite (=aka a rack! Smile ) but I would probably use bronze for the worm instead of brass.
If it is different, there are a number of commercial sources for all kind of gears here in Europe and in the USA (I am sure somewhere in the Austral hemisphere too!Smile )
Worst case, I can always get these for you from my regular supplier and mail them to you!
OK, now you have the pointers...give us the data!Wink
Looking forward!
Cheers
Offline Mats P  
#14 Posted : 25 February 2011 19:00:14(UTC)
Mats P

Sweden   
Quote:

ThumpUp

I´m not Jacques but I guess this is what you are looking for: Faller Container Gear- SB-Modellbau

Regards

Mats
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2011 20:32:23(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Mats P Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

ThumpUp

I´m not Jacques but I guess this is what you are looking for: Faller Container Gear- SB-Modellbau

Regards

Mats

Looks like an answer!ThumpUp Thanks a lot!
Still it is "Kunststoff"...and Cookee is looking for "metall"...
I think we can still go through the exercise...
Offline hennabm  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:53:47(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Well, while the snail mail makes its way slowly across the channel with the pivot screws, I have been wondering what to pair the newly rebuilt 348/1 with.Huh

As I mentioned before I do have a 1958 4015 and the red restaurant car of the SBB CFF. So what 1st class coach can go with them and what loco should I really use to pull them?Confused

All suggestions gratefully welcomed.BigGrin
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 28 February 2011 18:53:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Well, while the snail mail makes its way slowly across the channel with the pivot screws, I have been wondering what to pair the newly rebuilt 348/1 with.Huh

As I mentioned before I do have a 1958 4015 and the red restaurant car of the SBB CFF. So what 1st class coach can go with them and what loco should I really use to pull them?Confused

All suggestions gratefully welcomed.BigGrin

There were no first class version made of these "Leichtsthal" coaches by Märklin...but you could try to find a 348/4 (4017) as baggage car!
However there is a tin-plate SBB first class Mä coach that could do the trick: the 4066, which more or less follows the EW-1 outlines (Think of it, maybe I should get myself a pair of these too...BigGrin )
In the "real" world, in the 50's, train would have EW1 in the first class section, followed by the restaurant, then followed with the 2nd class "Leichtstahl" coaches
I would couple all these behind an RE/RES/RET800 or 3014, these were contemporaries of the said coaches
A 3050 would be also good match...
But that is only my humble opinion!Wink
Hope this helps!
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 28 February 2011 20:39:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It actually would not be too difficult to adapt a 348/1 or 4015/4038 to a first class or combined first/second class lightsteel coach, as the model does not have too much detail. All that you would have to do is to replace the second class lettering with first or mixed and paint or add a yellow line over the first class section. The other possibility would be to use a Hag, Fleischmann or Pocher coach for the first class coach.

Pocher: http://cgi.ebay.de/H0-Pe...3a62f061d4#ht_3150wt_907

Hag: http://cgi.ebay.de/HAG-4...m563fe58e21#ht_500wt_922

Fleischmann: http://cgi.ebay.de/Fleis...30e33f888#ht_7132wt_1141

eBay links may not be available after 60-90 days.

You could also use SNCB, DB, SNCF or other first class coaches from the matching era and use the SBB diner, coaches and baggage as Kurswagen on an international train.

I forgot, there are also SBB coaches from Kleinbahn (www.kleinbahn.ch) that can be used with the Maerklin 22-24cm coaches. I recommend added weight and AC wheelsets for Kleinbahn coaches on Maerklin.

Regards

Mike C
Offline GG1 Fan  
#19 Posted : 28 February 2011 21:45:54(UTC)
GG1 Fan

You've got to be kidding, I missed this thread?

Um....I put this exact model on ebay a few days ago. Check in the Sell forum for my thread.

My coach is mechanically perfect, top is near perfect. Everything is in great working order, except....one side is badly rusted. Badly.

My auction starts at .99 cents US. If you need parts, it's up for grabs.

Good luck

Paul
Offline hennabm  
#20 Posted : 02 March 2011 15:02:41(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Chaps
thank you all for the advise. I will look now for a 3014/3050 lok. There is a 3050 on the USA ebay at the moment. I am watching it Cool

As for a 1st class option I'll see what happens in the next few days before deciding what route to take. Confused

A 4017 baggage coach would also be a nice touch.Smile I'll see what turns up Wink
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline hennabm  
#21 Posted : 05 March 2011 17:13:28(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Well another wet day in the UK, so what better excuse than to get on with the 348/1.
Firstly though came the small matter of refitting the windscreen to the BR103. Thankfully no one was hurtBigGrin

Once this was repaired the finishing touches were made to the 348 and she trundled out of the repair shop and back to the rails. This has been a joy to see, as I never thought it would ever be refurbed.
Take a look at the transformation.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Thank you to all involved in the advise and the supply of parts and labour.ThumpUp ThumpUp Without you it would not be here today.

The 103 was returning to duties and just happened to in the way of the camera.Flapper
UserPostedImage
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#22 Posted : 05 March 2011 18:29:59(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Excellent job, especially on the roof repaint!ThumpUp ThumpUp
Looks like new, really.
Think of it, I have a few similar roofs needing some refreshing...Wink Wink
Any advice on how to do it right? (which you know how to obviously!)

Cheers
Offline jvuye  
#23 Posted : 05 March 2011 18:31:32(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Excellent job, especially on the roof repaint!ThumpUp ThumpUp
Looks like new, really.
Think of it, I have a few similar roofs needing some refreshing...Wink Wink
Any advice on how to do it right? (which you know how to, obviously!)

Cheers

Offline hennabm  
#24 Posted : 05 March 2011 19:37:31(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Well, the first job was to take the roof back to bare metal. This was with approx 320 grade paper.Blink

From there a coat of auto etch primer was put down.BigGrin
When dry this was flatted using 1500 and then 2000 grade. This was done dry with using only light pressure.Mellow

The top coat is again another auto product, from Frosts.co.uk and is called clear zinc coating. This I find to be a very close match to the original, having cmpared it with my boxed 4015.Smile

The doors were taken back to metal again but only done with zinc as clearance is tight.Wink
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline jvuye  
#25 Posted : 05 March 2011 22:08:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Well, the first job was to take the roof back to bare metal. This was with approx 320 grade paper.Blink

From there a coat of auto etch primer was put down.BigGrin
When dry this was flatted using 1500 and then 2000 grade. This was done dry with using only light pressure.Mellow

The top coat is again another auto product, from Frosts.co.uk and is called clear zinc coating. This I find to be a very close match to the original, having cmpared it with my boxed 4015.Smile

The doors were taken back to metal again but only done with zinc as clearance is tight.Wink

OK, looks simple enough!
So you are using spray cans?
Thanks
Offline Webmaster  
#26 Posted : 05 March 2011 22:28:34(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems like another piece of history has been preserved, thanks to this forum and its generous members... ThumpUp

Regret selling my old 348/1 in the 90:s, looked just like restored one - roof was in perfect condition... I hope Stephan-Alexander cherishes it...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Oscar  
#27 Posted : 07 March 2011 09:49:50(UTC)
Oscar

Ah, this is great stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Offline hennabm  
#28 Posted : 11 March 2011 16:17:18(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   

OK, looks simple enough!
So you are using spray cans?
Thanks

Yep just using rattle cans as we know them.

My trick is to start spraying way before the paint nozzle nears the item. That way it is already a steady flow and can be controlled. For distance of nozzle from the item, to get the right amount on, that is trial and error (or practice as it is knownBigGrin )
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Brakepad  
#29 Posted : 12 March 2011 10:01:08(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Great. Thanks for the pictures. The roof looks like new. Did you use some primer?
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline hennabm  
#30 Posted : 12 March 2011 11:41:48(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Yes I used Etch primer (an auto product). This was then dried and flatted with 1500 and then 2000 grade paper. Then the top coat went on.

I now have a lok to pull my newly restored coach - a 3050 acquired off ebay usa last nightBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
UserPostedImage

More photos when it arrives along with the coaches. Now for a 4017.....Love
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline hennabm  
#31 Posted : 29 March 2011 21:15:43(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
As promised, I now have further photos of the restored 4015 complete with the 4017 and 3050 and my original red diner.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And very happy I am with the set.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 29 March 2011 22:04:10(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, Mike.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline drstapes  
#33 Posted : 29 March 2011 23:34:18(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Brillant restoration
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline seatrains  
#34 Posted : 30 March 2011 06:00:03(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
hennabm, nice resto..and nice consist...would love to have it on my layout. thanks for sharing, Thom
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline jvuye  
#35 Posted : 03 April 2011 14:03:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
As promised, I now have further photos of the restored 4015 complete with the 4017 and 3050 and my original red diner....

And very happy I am with the set.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Bravo!
This is a classic among classics!
I love it when I see so many BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin!
I am also personally very happy to see we can so easily contribute to each other's enjoyment of our hobby!
Just telling each other what we are looking for...and **POOF**, it happens! Laugh Love
Magic, isn't it?
Have fun!