Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2008 11:29:18(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Hi All!

Does any one think it is worth converting a 3071 to digital? or would it diminish it's value Anyone know it's current value?
Smile
Glenn
Offline tekin65  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2008 14:04:41(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

I'm not into the RAm's but I think it would worth converting. It certainly would diminish the value of a mint set. Really nice mint sets are selling at Euro 180 and upwards on eBay. If I had one somewhat less than mint I certainly would convert.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2008 15:34:48(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I had mine converted to digital with a Loksound. I was also able to get the seats as indicated in this link and put them in. This set is one of my favorites!

http://www.frankenbahn.d...rzeuge/maerklin3071E.htm
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline rugauger  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2008 16:46:51(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
As a general rule, modifying any model, especially mint ones, in any way will decrease its value to the serious collector. But since you're asking about conversion to digital, I assume you're interested in running the set rather than just putting it into a showcase...

I'd say convert unless something deep inside you goes "aaarrrgghhhh" Smile. In which case you'll need to purchase a second set so you can have one untouched and one running on the layout wink

Finally, you can ensure all original parts are kept and the conversion is carried out without damage to the set so that it could always be restored back to analog if needed.
Richard
Offline tekin65  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2008 17:22:50(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rugauger
<br />Finally, you can ensure all original parts are kept and the conversion is carried out without damage to the set so that it could always be restored back to analog if needed.

Very good idea with all kind of conversions ... you never know!

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline intruder  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2008 18:06:27(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I have converted my 3071.

It runs very well with the 60904 conversion set.
mfx would be even better (including sound), but that have to wait.

See http://www.saebonet.com/svein/Tog/sites/ch/3071.htm
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2008 06:11:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A couple of thoughts here...

You can convert the 3071 to digital using the appropriate conversion kit. The instructions must include details on how to connect to ensure that slider selection is still operational.

There have been several models since then which have either Delta 3471 or digital 39700. Those models also came with interior details and a darker red paint scheme. The 39700 also came with one of the original C-Sine motors. Both models come with built in interior lighting.

The other alternative would be to consider one of the models from Roco (69121/69123) which are 1:87 and very nicely detailed. There is also the model from RailTop (marketed by LS Models) which is available from Huenerbein321 on eBay for a good price.

It all depends on the cost of the upgrade(s) and your personal preferences.

1. Digital Conversion Kit
2. Interior Detail Parts for 3471/39700

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2008 10:46:38(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Many thanks to you all for your helpful advice, in particular regarding the conversion.

I really do like this model and want to source extra carriages for it aswell.
The interior-seating ideas are great. Many thanks again to everyone for their input.
Glenn
Offline hemau  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2008 13:13:26(UTC)
hemau

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bahn-an-arama
<br />Hi All!

Does any one think it is worth converting a 3071 to digital? or would it diminish it's value Anyone know it's current value?
Smile

I just bought one (4 pieces) for € 122 on Ebay. I'm still waiting for its delivery, so I have no details about its quality.
I'm planning to convert it. Does anybody know how to incorporate the changing of the slider? Use an extra relay? I think I have still a 66032 Delta decoder at hand.
Regards, Henk.

[edited: I'll have a good look at the posting of Svein (Intruder) first!]
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline mmervine  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2008 14:55:04(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Henk:

ESU makes a unit that allows for pick up shoe switching. It is show at: www.esu.eu

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline rugauger  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2008 16:52:33(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I'd agree with Mark - get the ESU pickup shoe switching unit. Note that this unit only works with the ESU 21-pin decoders, so you'd be tied down to purchasing the corresponding decoder from ESU with it.

Uhlenbrock are due to come out with their own slider switching unit in 2009. Again, it only works with their own decoder.

Alternatively, there are various postings on the web for modifying the 60902 decoder that came with the 60904 conversion kit. It involves lifting two of the IC's pins off the PCB and building a supplementary circuit using a relay, so it's not for the faint-hearted!

I have a 3471 due in; I'll probably go for the ESU solution although it won't be cheap - I guess 50 Euros or so in total...
Richard
Offline intruder  
#12 Posted : 21 November 2008 17:26:27(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
With the 60902 decoder the pick-up shoe changing is rather simple. Output 13 and 14 on the main chip is made for this.

see http://www.saebonet.com/svein/Tog/sites/ch/3071.htm

With other decoders it is possible with a bi-stable relay I of which I do not know the name. It has one coil which pulls the relay switch in one direction with one polarity and in the other direction if the polarity is reversed.
This way the relay may be connected in parallell with the motor.
I have tested this with a 6090 decoder and it works perfect.

This kind of relay was used in Märklin's electronic reversing unit, often small yellow ones.
grumpy old sod
Offline hemau  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2008 19:03:35(UTC)
hemau

I'm thinking of a relay switched by the headlights: direction changes, headlights change, relay switches to other slider. Maybe the moment without power would be a problem, but probably not with a Delta decoder.
Will see how it works out, but first the 3071 has to arrive! (and I need to find a relay, preferably with end-switch-off and/or low power consumption).
It feels good that there are several solutions.
Regards, Henk
Offline rugauger  
#14 Posted : 21 November 2008 20:09:58(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hemau
<br />I'm thinking of a relay switched by the headlights: direction changes, headlights change, relay switches to other slider...

Yes, I had given that some thought as well. However, if you have the headlights turned off, then the relay will not be activated, and it will not switch to the other slider...
Richard
Offline jonquinn  
#15 Posted : 22 November 2008 02:37:50(UTC)
jonquinn

from what I see these sell for on ebay (analog), you will have to wait a LOOOONNGGG time to get a decent return on your initial outlay. You're better off convertign to Digital - more people will want it that way - to operate/run.
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#16 Posted : 22 November 2008 05:35:26(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
I sort of was thinking the same as you jonquinn!
Glenn
Offline hemau  
#17 Posted : 23 November 2008 19:17:00(UTC)
hemau

Well yesterday my 3071 was delivered and it fulfills every expectation about quality and operations. It has been running for over an hour in both directions and is doing fine. Red rear lights and yellow front lights, changing with direction. Two sliders, motor driven by front slider.

What has been puzzling me, is how this all is operated. In the train there are only two leads, one red and one yellow. Schemes earlier in this thread have four leads through the train. I haven't opened it yet, but apparently the rear (red) lights are always on. It appears they are fed by the slider in the control-unit (the one without motor), since if I put the control-unit alone on the tracks, the red lights are on and if I put the motor-unit alone on the tracks, it has no lights (red nor yellow) and runs only in one direction. So probably all lights are fed from the control car slider, but the headlights are switched by the relay which is controlling direction of travel.
So I think the red wire through the train is power from the slider in de control-unit, and the yellow wire is for the headlights if the train is travelling with the control-unit in front (and the motor-unit pushing).
If this is correct, I'm still thinking of converting it with a Delta-decoder and an extra relay to switch the slider in use, which is operated by the headlights.

If anyone has a scheme of the wiring of a original (analog) 3071, I'd appreciate it!
Regards, Henk.
Offline rugauger  
#18 Posted : 23 November 2008 22:50:51(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hello Henk - your observations and conclusions are correct. The 3071 is the "economy version" of the 3070 and as such lacks the fully directional lights (as well as the interior). The light "change" is achieved by having the red lights on permanently, and "adding" the white lights according to the direction of travel.

Therefore, it only requires two wires:
One from the cab car's slider to the motor unit (the slider that powers the motor car is directionally dependent).
One from the motor unit to the cab car's white lights.

P.S. please don't fit a Delta decoder; in my experience, the running characteristics are worse than analog, and such a nice set is surely worthy of something better... wink
Richard
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 24 November 2008 00:27:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />Hello Henk - your observations and conclusions are correct. The 3071 is the "economy version" of the 3070 and as such lacks the fully directional lights (as well as the interior). The light "change" is achieved by having the red lights on permanently, and "adding" the white lights according to the direction of travel.

Therefore, it only requires two wires:
One from the cab car's slider to the motor unit (the slider that powers the motor car is directionally dependent).
One from the motor unit to the cab car's white lights.

P.S. please don't fit a Delta decoder; in my experience, the running characteristics are worse than analog, and such a nice set is surely worthy of something better... wink

WHAT????????????

The 3070 was the original version of this trainset. The 3071 came out a few years later with an updated reverse relay, which enabled the connections between coaches to be reduced from three to only two. It was not an "economy" version of the first set.

The 3070 had the markings for the SBB (RAm) version of the trainset. The 3071 came with neither SBB nor NS markings and could pass for either version. The 3070 had silver framed windows. The 3071 did not.)

The reason why the lights are on when the pilot coach and other coaches are on the tracks is that the lighting is powered by the rear slider. The power coach will only move in one direction if it is placed on the tracks alone. If you click on reverse, the motor unit will no longer function, although I believe that the red lights do go on. (It has been a long time since I did this.)

One wire powers the lights from the pilot coach (red taillight) and front lights of the motor unit or powers the motor (when power coach at rear.) The other wire powers the pilot coach (front lights) and coach lights (from the power unit).

The original set was designed so that power from the pilot coach slider would be sent to the reverse unit, and the rest of the train would be powered by the other two cables depending on direction.

The more recent 3471 Delta and 39700 Digital C-Sine versions include multi-cable connectors, as the decoders require that power to the lights be routed through the decoder and the ground can no longer be picked up directly from the track.

I found the 3071 to be much easier to connect than the original set. The 3471 and 39700 may be even easier.

Regards

Mike C
Offline rugauger  
#20 Posted : 24 November 2008 01:55:19(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
WHAT????????????

The 3070 was the original version of this trainset. The 3071 came out a few years later with an updated reverse relay, which enabled the connections between coaches to be reduced from three to only two. It was not an "economy" version of the first set.

OK, so why did the 3070 have interiors then, and the 3071 did not?
Quote:
The 3071 came with neither SBB nor NS markings and could pass for either version.

So lack of markings makes it a better model?

I rest my case.
Richard
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 24 November 2008 08:21:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
WHAT????????????

OK, so why did the 3070 have interiors then, and the 3071 did not?
Quote:
The 3071 came with neither SBB nor NS markings and could pass for either version.

So lack of markings makes it a better model?

I rest my case.

1) The 3070 did NOT have interior details. That feature only appeared in 1998 with the 3471 trainset. Prior to that, a separate kit was available which included either an open seating or dining car arrangement which could be built into the 3070/3071 or any of Maerklin's 24cm coaches. If your 3070 had interior details, they were added by somebody after purchase because the model did not come that way.

2) The 3071 did not include any markings other than those common to both Swiss and Dutch trainsets because Maerklin wanted to maximize the appeal to modellers from both countries. I don't know precisely why the window frames were not painted silver.

When the 3471 was released, the trainset was labelled for the NS. The 39700 Set was once again labelled for the SBB with the silver window frames.

Regards

Mike C

Offline rugauger  
#22 Posted : 24 November 2008 12:41:12(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
1) The 3070 did NOT have interior details. That feature only appeared in 1998 with the 3471 trainset.
Fair enough, I stand corrected on that one.
Quote:
2) The 3071 did not include any markings other than those common to both Swiss and Dutch trainsets because Maerklin wanted to maximize the appeal to modellers from both countries. I don't know precisely why the window frames were not painted silver.
...because Marklin wanted to save themselves some money wink

Back to the original question, shall we? Bahn-an-arama - go digital. Maybe even with sound [:p]
Richard
Offline intruder  
#23 Posted : 26 November 2008 01:11:00(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Somebody asked for the original wiring diagram for the 3071.

I do not have the complete one, but I have made one for the control car.

As mentioned, only two wires runs through the train. One from the reversing unit to the rear white lamp, one from the rear pick-up shoe to the rear red light and to the reversing unit.

UserPostedImage

This means that the rear red lamp is on all the time. When running in reverse direction, the white lamp is on, stronger than the red one. The light appears to be white, but if you look carefully, you will see a red glow in it, compared to the white light in the front end.

Originally this train set was pivking up the driving current from the first pick-up shoe, according to the travelling direction.

It has a "dual switch" revolving electro mechanical reversing unit, that changes the pick-up shoe and the lights (white and red in the front, only white on/off in the rear), according to the driving direction.
grumpy old sod
Offline hemau  
#24 Posted : 26 November 2008 21:21:15(UTC)
hemau

Svein, thanks for the diagram! Today I did some measuring on the control cab and this diagram explains why I got a resistance of some tenfolds ohms between slider and ground.

What does this mean for converting this train? Should I connect a resistor between the rear red light and the slider? Nominal digital voltage is 20 V as opposed to 16 V max. analog. I don't want the rear red light to burn through.

Regards, Henk.
Offline rugauger  
#25 Posted : 27 November 2008 02:01:53(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
It depends on how far you want to go with this. You could just fit a resistor as mentioned. You could also turn the red light on and off "properly" by having an additional wire running through the train from the motor unit. Finally, you could have a separate function decoder, powered from the motor unit (additional wire required again) to turn the red light on and off, and have other decoder functions do more wonderful things (F1=cab lights perhaps?).
Richard
Offline intruder  
#26 Posted : 27 November 2008 02:09:38(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I have four wires running through my train:

1: power supply from the rear pick-up shoe to a changeover relay, too feed the decoder.
2: to the rear white light, via a relay
3: to the rear red light, via a relay
4: for the interior light, via a relay

grumpy old sod
Offline mike c  
#27 Posted : 27 November 2008 05:37:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You could probably order the wiring harness and connectors from either the 3471 or 39700 trainsets and retrofit them into your 3071.
This would then give you the full control options that are built into the later models.

If anybody is looking to acquire such a model, it may be a better idea to look for a 3471 or 39700 before settling on a 3070/3071, especially as the two more recent sets come complete as a 4 unit set and do not require the additional 4070/4071 coach.

Exploded view diagrams of all of these models, including parts list and part numbers should be available on the net.

Regards

Mike C
Offline hemau  
#28 Posted : 27 November 2008 21:59:34(UTC)
hemau

Thanks all for the advice. On M* site there is a exploded view of a 3071, only the wiring in the motorcar is not indicated (alas).
I plan to keep my unit as original as possible, so no extra wires through the train. It will be a couple of weeks though before I start this action.
Indeed who wants all the digital goodies, is better off with a 3471 or 39700. But the price tag on Ebay is about double of a 3071. I got my four car unit (incl. 4071 car) for € 121. Major aim is to get it running as it is on my digital layout.
3471 is not in the M* list, 39700 is. Pricetag for a decoder and engine is € 279,95. If you buy a car in parts, it will cost you the quadruple and then you even have to put it together!
What is Bahn-an-arama thinking by now?
Best regards, Henk
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#29 Posted : 28 November 2008 10:32:26(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
What am I thinking..... well I got my 3071 set today in the mail for A$150.00, which I thought was a very good price...... so HEMAU please keep us informed of your progress ( with pics ).

I will convert mine, but I run it anologue first to see how it all runs...
Regards, Bahn-an-arama
Glenn
Offline intruder  
#30 Posted : 28 November 2008 11:16:51(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Congratulations with the 3071, Bahn-an-arama.
grumpy old sod
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#31 Posted : 28 November 2008 12:06:13(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Thanks,yeah and it has a box which is in ok-good condition,otherwise the set doesn't look as if it has much running time.

Also, thanks to everyone for their comments...keep up the discussions!
Glenn
Offline rschaffr  
#32 Posted : 30 November 2008 16:39:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I've been looking for one of these for years. Finally found one in almost new condition, box is excellent. I haen't decided whether to convert it or leave it yet.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#33 Posted : 01 December 2008 11:28:05(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Why don't you send us a pic and show your beauty off!! Even after reading everyone's comments, I'm still not willing to start yet another digital conversion project! I have got too much incl. the layout on the go as it is!
lol.....
Glenn
Offline rschaffr  
#34 Posted : 01 December 2008 15:23:27(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Glenn: I have posted the pictures here: https://www.marklin-user...&t=3213&whichpage=18

At present I do not plan to convert it. The condition is so excellent (inducing the box) that I will probably keep it as a collectible. I am making space in my display cabinet for it.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#35 Posted : 02 December 2008 08:53:58(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Thanks for the link- Indeed, excellent. My one is in excellent condition, it was a bit dusty however appears to have had very little run-time. Box is not as good as your though- has shop labels on it, which are not easy removable...

Here's link to see it running(analogue) on my layout.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aulnCyo_ags

Cheers, Glenn
Glenn