Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2007 18:23:31(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Märklin's Gottardo negotiating curves.

Has anyone of you ever seen anything more grotesque?!!!

Scroll down on the following site to have a look at these pictures, which were included on another forum:

http://hag-info.ch/hag/f...hp?p=18452#18452>

I am so sorry that I ordered this set, which will prove to be a great dissappointment, just like the Henschel-Wegmann was.

It didn't help that Märklin already had to curtail the right lenght of the Gottardo, it still won't fit onto the tramway curves! LOL!!!

Look at the horrendous flaps that Märklin had to add to this model to cover the boggies (just like they did on the H-W) so that it could negotiate the unnaturally horrendous toy-train Märklin radii!

Too bad that having the right technology to produce one of a kind models, Märklin still issue surrealistic monsters like these!

Armando

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2007 18:35:03(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Armando: Why can't you accept that Marklin is committed to serving it's customer base who are forced by space constraints to using R1 curves in their layouts? Constantly complaining about it doesn't really add anything to the issue. I agree that the wiring showing between the coaches is grotesque, and I wish they had run the connections through a coupling box as they did in the VT08. I can accept the coach separation on curves and the moving skirts since that allows me to participate in the hobby. If Marklin would product this model limited to R9 curves, they would probably sell a total of 10 units worldwide. No one is forcing you to buy it or any other Marklin product. If you have room for wide sweeping curves, that is great. 99% of us don't.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Guus  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2007 18:36:16(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
I think I already posted the reference in your other topic on the Gottardo some days ago[}:)].

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=6428

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Armando  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2007 19:08:21(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi Guus,

Yes, you are right: too bad for us modellers. Maybe I should look around for another brand (Roco?) in order to meet my minimum standards. I am already buying their 303mm coaches, which are true to scale in lenght and wonderful to look at. I wasn't aware that you had already posted the reference; it is so shocking that I would have reacted to it earlier.
I will be very carefull in the future: I will not pre-order anything from the New Items flyers anymore until I have seen the tangible thing. That will spare me from wasting my money on grotesque monsters like this Gottardo.
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline mrmarklin  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2007 19:34:20(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Car length is certainly in the eye of the beholder. It's true that most of us don't have layouts where we can run any sort of prototypical consist.

So what's more realistic? A consist of 6 full length cars pulling into our station, or 8 1:100 cars pulling to our station? Many of us have chosen the latter out of esthetics. More cars in a consist make it seem more realistic. And for long distance trains, it is.

Even the largest layouts are compromises and selective compression has always been in the modeler's lexicon.Cool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Jim Thompson  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2007 19:49:56(UTC)
Jim Thompson

My 'selective compression' is 2 x 1:100 coaches [:0] at the station. If I used 3 I might overshoot the bahnsteig altogether biggrin . One man's station is another man's haltpunkt Cool .

I do still agree with Armando on the Gottardo M*[B)] .

Would it not have made more sense to put a slider contact on each car rather than the connector/cable assembly, or am I missing the reason for the connector/cable? (Since this is still 3-rail)

Thanks in advance,

Jim (Puzzled)
Offline mascagni  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2007 20:26:57(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: Being a Swiss Lok lover, I was wondering if there are any credible HO versions of the Gottardo made today? Thanks.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline Guus  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2007 20:32:35(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Michael,

The Swiss HO community seems to have high expectations of the soon to be released Rail Top version of the Gottardo.

The old Lima model with its six car configuration could also be an option,provided you could obtain one.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline viragoLDR  
#9 Posted : 27 November 2007 20:43:46(UTC)
viragoLDR

Those skirts I could live with, a large gap between cars in a tight curve I could live with as well, but seeing that ugly green circuit board is just not something I would accept, and they could've done better too. I've seen it done better in N-scale, although they've set a minimum radius ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline Guus  
#10 Posted : 27 November 2007 20:55:53(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
To be honest, to me it does look rather good on a straight piece of track.But......,well I think I've said enough on the Gottardo.

Here's a picture of the 39540 shown on the Modellbahntreff in Göppingen.

UserPostedImage

This way it's not so bad at all!

A larger image can be found here:

http://img440.imageshack...g440/9766/img2753pq9.jpg

Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Online xxup  
#11 Posted : 27 November 2007 22:09:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />I think I already posted the reference in your other topic on the Gottardo some days ago[}:)].....

I know Guus, but this is so horrible that we need to make sure that everyone sees the problem and we shame Marklin into recalling these otherwise beautiful units and fixing the problem properly.[:(!][:(!][:(!]

Here's the picture from the Hag and Stummi forum sites...

UserPostedImage

I don't believe that this is simply a R1 curve problem either...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline MärCo  
#12 Posted : 27 November 2007 22:42:30(UTC)
MärCo

May I return the question?
If you can afford such a train set, would you build a layout with R1 curves?
I don't think so.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline john black  
#13 Posted : 27 November 2007 22:55:45(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />I don't believe that this is simply a R1 curve problem either ...

Me too, Adrian. M's new managers [xx(] still have to learn how to make cars.
And although this one isn't on my wishlist I'm sorry for my friends who want her.
Aggravated assault to our eyes ...

You can't do miracles with tight R1s but that's how classic German tinplate stuff looks like Smile
Read and learn, M ...
UserPostedImage

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#14 Posted : 27 November 2007 22:59:56(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />May I return the question?
I don't think so.

I can afford it and yes, I do have R1 curves on my layout. That is a very arrogant statement.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline Armando  
#15 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:16:14(UTC)
Armando

United States   
There is plenty of rolling stock from Eras I, II and III that are in real life shorter than the D-Zug-Wagen and even Märklin makes them at the right length. Why do they have to compromise the correct length of a D-Zug-Wagen because there are Märklinists that absolutely have to run them on R1 track?

The same happened with the Fliegender Hamburger and the Gottardo: Märklin had to curtail the correct length of the scale model so that they could negotiate the unnatural R1. The supermarket toy over the fine model.

How I wish Märklin had a top-notch line where scale and detail were respected! What superb models the Henschel-
Wegmann, the Fliegender Hamburger and the Gottardo could have been then!

Wishful thinking! I was fooled by Märklin yet again. My Gottardo will soon be on eBay, for those interested.

Armando

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline hxmiesa  
#16 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:16:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
I don't think so.

LOTS of very big collectors makes their locos circulate on tiny "test" layouts.

On the opposite hand there is myself; I have no rolling stuff worth shouting about, but a huge layout with minimum R9 on the visible main track...

So you can´t generalize on that!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline viragoLDR  
#17 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:16:58(UTC)
viragoLDR

I can afford several of those trains, but I can't afford a house with a room specifically for model trains, let alone a room big enough to fit in high radius curves. Price per square meter in Oslo is astronomic, although it seems to be going down =)

- Martijn
Offline 60904  
#18 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:17:13(UTC)

Germany   
Hi everbody,

I have registered today. Just some brief information about myself. I have been playing and collecting Märklin since 1959.

I am also very disappointed about the new Swiss TEE trainset. It is hard to believe that Märklin has done such a bad job on such a modell. Unfortunately I haven't seen a real modell by now. The pictures taken in a R1 radius is of course a reason to get angry. I am pretty sure that I won't order anything again without having seen the final product.
It had happened before with the HWZ. After modells like the 218 and E50 I did not expect such a poor construction.
I do not have R1 on my layout, so there is still some hope to enjoy the Rae TEE a little.
Greetings
Martin
Offline rschaffr  
#19 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:26:36(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Welcome, Martin. As I said I would have been happy with blank ends and coupling boxes like the VT08 and others. Showing the connections like that is terrible.

Armando: I choose to run era IV and V trains on my layout that includes R1 curves. I do not wish to restrict myself as you suggested.
-Ron
Offline Jim Thompson  
#20 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:34:38(UTC)
Jim Thompson

It is actually possible that I could afford the set (SWMBO has some control yet) and I run R0 (Industrial rad) as my main due to lack of space - short cars, short loks no problem - and yes I certainly could run this set, albeit slowly Smile , but my other stock does not have cables, so I might end up unplugging everything [:0] biggrin ! Horrors! What would happen then?!

Deep cleansing breaths...

Peace to all,

Jim
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:44:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Martin - welcome, here ! Have fun Smile
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline viragoLDR  
#22 Posted : 27 November 2007 23:46:03(UTC)
viragoLDR

Here's some links to pictures of how they did things in N-scale on an N700 shinkansen. Both Kato and Tomix make this model.

Kato: http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/2.htm . As you can see, they have simulated full aerodynamic diaphragms. Regardless of radius, there won't be a gap in between cars. On top of that, this particular model also has tilting functionality. Don't mind the details, it's a prototype, not the final model ;)

Tomix: http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/4.htm and http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/3.htm . In the first picture (the box shot), on the left of the box, the middle picture, that's a close up of the couplers and diaphragm simulation. Not as good looking as Kato's version, and there is a chance to get gaps as well. Advantage of the Tomix version is that it has power pickup on ALL wheels of ALL 16 cars, power is fed through the couplers to the engines, which means that it's near impossible for this set to stop anywhere due to dirty tracks =)

Anyway, slightly off topic, but it shows that it's possible to do much better yet still keep all the functionality. For R1 (or even R0) this wouldn't work of course, but they should still be able to do better than what they have on the Gottardo.
- Martijn
Offline 60904  
#23 Posted : 28 November 2007 00:40:36(UTC)

Germany   
Well, the thing is that here we have light and shadow (Licht und Schatten) as we say in German close together. Probably wonderful first class painting and inscriptions, even the lights on the one hand and bad engineering concerning the couplings on the other. I wonder who has given order to build it this way. We all know that they can do much better. At least it runs well according to someone who has tested it. Isn't that something after all? Smile
Greetings
Martin
Offline rschaffr  
#24 Posted : 28 November 2007 01:07:33(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Yes, that is something, Martin. I had this model on order and have canceled it. I can live with the shortened coaches, the moving skirts and the wide separation on curves. The thing that turned me off was the way they coupled the coaches.
-Ron
Offline perz  
#25 Posted : 28 November 2007 01:31:45(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
I don't think so.

You can buy lots of expensive locos for the money it costs to have the extra space for just a tiny layout.[:(]
Offline jeehring  
#26 Posted : 28 November 2007 02:39:19(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by viragoLDR
<br />Here's some links to pictures of how they did things in N-scale on an N700 shinkansen. Both Kato and Tomix make this model.

Kato: http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/2.htm . As you can see, they have simulated full aerodynamic diaphragms. Regardless of radius, there won't be a gap in between cars. On top of that, this particular model also has tilting functionality. Don't mind the details, it's a prototype, not the final model ;)

Tomix: http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/4.htm and http://jnr9.net/img/071116a/3.htm . In the first picture (the box shot), on the left of the box, the middle picture, that's a close up of the couplers and diaphragm simulation. Not as good looking as Kato's version, and there is a chance to get gaps as well. Advantage of the Tomix version is that it has power pickup on ALL wheels of ALL 16 cars, power is fed through the couplers to the engines, which means that it's near impossible for this set to stop anywhere due to dirty tracks =)

Anyway, slightly off topic, but it shows that it's possible to do much better yet still keep all the functionality. For R1 (or even R0) this wouldn't work of course, but they should still be able to do better than what they have on the Gottardo.

On the Gottardo , they have done nothing . They didn't even try to hide couplers & cables . It's empty .

I guess the diaphragmes of the kato train showed above probably don't work on tight curves ( similar to R1 or R2 )- From an esthetic point of view I don't find them so nice neither so prototypical. It is N scale . Items in HO scale needs to be more detailed than N scale .

IMHO , "Nothing" is sometimes better than "something ugly"

I'm wondering if it is not the typical Marklin style .They have been doing things like that , already . It reminds me the beautiful E 103 ....with a nice screw on the roof ( not prototypical at all )! A warning , a kind of humorous wink wink saying " THIS OBJECT IS NOT A REAL LOCOMOTIVE " SmileSmile. ( " just play - don't go nuts ")
Offline viragoLDR  
#27 Posted : 28 November 2007 10:55:10(UTC)
viragoLDR

Minimum radius on the Kato train is most likely 317cm, Tomix is 280cm, so it can't go through the tighest curves they have available. Although that's not necessarily because of the coupling mechanism, but more because of the aerodynamic covers over the bogies, there's just a limit to how much those can rotate ;)

I'm still not sure whether I like the way Kato and Tomix solve this thing, from up close it often looks terrible, especially in curves, but from an average viewing distance it sure looks better than a gap in between the cars, or the connector/circuit board showing in all it's green glory =)
- Martijn
Offline biotechee  
#28 Posted : 28 November 2007 14:15:51(UTC)
biotechee

Well, I guess if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, buy it.

My personal opinion- Even though I don't like the general look of the model (not really a big fan of the TEE models, the Flying Hamburger, etc.), meaning it wouldn't be on my list to buy anyway, after seeing the pictures... I must agree with Ron- the exposed electrical coupling connection is not up to the standards of the pricing point for this model. I could live with the boggie skirts- I find these to be an acceptable compromise. In conclusion, this all means I definitely wouldn't consider it, unless it was ridiculously cheap

I do appreciate being made aware of the situation - I think that is one of the great things about this forum. We are all so passionate about Marklin in one way or another so when something doesn't live up to someone's standards, they express their discontent. I find that to be fair. Nonetheless, discussions of what one can afford to do or not to do have no place here in my opinion.

And, if I ever get a layout up and running, it is highly probable that it will include R1 curves as I have no decent amount of square footage to build a "prototypical" layout. I have no real space to use, and the space I could conceivably use would be maximized to operate more than one or two trains (if possible). Bring on the small radius curves! Woohoo!
Offline rschaffr  
#29 Posted : 28 November 2007 14:46:01(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Jim: I generally agree with your comment "if you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, buy it", however most of us ordered this model unseen based upon a trust in Marklin that they would make it at least presentable. That trust has been eroding over the past year or so and I'm not sure I will ever trust them again enough to order a large ticket item like this before it is out in the marketplace.
-Ron
Offline john black  
#30 Posted : 28 November 2007 15:42:32(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I'm not sure I will ever trust them again enough to order
a large ticket item like this before it is out in the marketplace

Right, Ron - with so much of money involved let's stay on the safe side. Seeing is believing ... [^]

Although there're clowns who wanna make us believe we could discuss <u>only items we do already own</u> biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Reminds me of that old joke. "Just sign here. Ya can read it later ..." [xx(]

Offline metpo  
#31 Posted : 28 November 2007 15:59:07(UTC)
metpo

looks horrible... Märklin is blind or what? If you are handy you can improve this model perhaps..
it is not only on this forum that people are mad about this tee-stuff....
Luckily I did not think about buying this model, and I also do not need it on my layout...
Offline biotechee  
#32 Posted : 28 November 2007 16:07:10(UTC)
biotechee

Ahhh- I see how that would add yet another facet of distaste for someone. Certainly there must be some recourse if one is not happy with the model upon receipt? If you were to turn it down upon delivery inspection, are you able to get a full refund, or would Marklin retain any deposit? I would certainly hope you could get a full refund if not completely satisfied...

I definitely understand the general decline in Marklin's approval rating amongst many forum members. The company is changing- for better or worse. I genuinely hope they take a turn for the collective "better", whatever that may be to each of us.

For me, I'm not too ingrained into the hobby at this stage to worry about a lot of the recent issues. Perhaps that will change as time marches on and I gain more interest. Right now, I am content with searching for stock that appeals to me. If something I like happens to be new, then I'll get it. Since I was "out of the hobby" for so long, I am still playing catch-up with trying to get models from 10-20 years ago!!!! In probably 10 years from now, I will searching for some nice, inexpensive 2005-2008 models!!!! biggrin

No matter what, I hope everyone finds their comfort level, be it with Marklin, without Marklin, or with Marklin and &lt;insert your favorite manufacturer here&gt;.

Ron- off topic- let me know if you're in Warminster in the next couple of weeks- we should grab lunch.

Jim
Offline rschaffr  
#33 Posted : 28 November 2007 16:27:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Jim: We are leaving for Florida Saturday to introduce the Grandkids to Mickey, be there all next week. I have a meeting with Volvo in Greensboro NC on the way back Monday the 10th, and with Reading Truck Body on Reading PA on Tuesday the 11th. Be back at the office on Wednesday the 12th. Maybe we could "do lunch" after that. (Sorry to all about the personal communication)
-Ron
Offline svgeorgiad  
#34 Posted : 28 November 2007 17:08:40(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Reading through this thread I came to the conclusion that Ron has expressed more or less my personal point of view.
I agree that Gottardo has been a disappointment (I was lucky enough not to preorder it, which is most probably what I am going to do also with the 2008 Insider which is another TEE railcar set! what a big surprise!!!) but I do not agree that all models should be made according to exact scale no matter of practicability.
I too have a R1-R2-R3 layout and it's enough disappointment for me that I can not run a Big Boy properly. Please Maerklin do not make it harder!

Symeon Georgiadis
Offline 60904  
#35 Posted : 28 November 2007 18:00:43(UTC)

Germany   
No, this expected VT 10 is not a TEE train. It was an experimental train delivered in two versions running for maybe 4 years not being very reliable. A version with sleeping cars and the other one for daytime service. Hard to find any pictures of it.

I don't think that many people know about the two VT 10 and wonder why it might be a good choice for an INSIDER Modell. The two version have different intermediate cars. One with 1 axle bogie and the other with 2 axle bogie between the cars.

Greetings
Martin
Offline rschaffr  
#36 Posted : 28 November 2007 18:16:34(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Martin: Pictures of the two variants of the VT10 were posted by Symeon in another thread, https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8548

I can't understand why Marklin would choose something like that for the Insider model.
-Ron
Offline svgeorgiad  
#37 Posted : 28 November 2007 18:29:45(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Quote:
<br />Martin: Pictures of the two variants of the VT10 were posted by Symeon in another thread, https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8548

I can't understand why Marklin would choose something like that for the Insider model.

Ron

I think the only reason M* decided to launch VT10 is because they gave back to the pressure of the Greek Maerklin fans who would love to see a model even slightly/ remotely related to Greece... biggrinSo this is exactly what M* did as one of the few pictures of the VT10.501 has been taken in the Athens Railway Station [^]sometime in the sixties during an official visit of the German Finance Minister to Greece.Cool
So, since M* will most probably never produce a Greek Train Model it is some sort of relief for us Greek Modelrailroaders to know this history (although I still believe that this fact won't make us order this ... inexplicable model).

Symeon Georgiadis
Offline 60904  
#38 Posted : 28 November 2007 20:37:48(UTC)

Germany   
HI Ron,
I know about some pictures of the VT 10. For our Greek friends they might one day produce a V200 which were sold to them after being withdrawn in Germany. That should not be a problem, just a new painting. See what they did with all the NOHABs. Even a MAV version available.
Greetings
Martin
Offline David Dewar  
#39 Posted : 28 November 2007 20:41:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Interesting topic. I have not ordered this model but if I did want to add it to my layout I would do as I have been for about a year now : wait until members have received their models and find out if they are any good. Selfish this may be but at least I have some idea what I am buying.
Regarding the radius sizes , I have from 1 to 5 on my layout and find radius 1 very useful in certain areas. Many only have little space for a layout and the amount of cash spent on locos or track is irrelevant.
It is a shame that many are not happy with this model amd I would suggest that mail to Marklin will at least let them know. If you think it is poor dont sit back and accept it...complain.
For those who like it.. enjoy and have fun.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline rschaffr  
#40 Posted : 28 November 2007 20:48:34(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
After reviewing the pictures I went home and ran my VT08 around a few R1 curves and can honestly confirm that for me the only thing about the RAe I can't accept is the exposed wiring. My VT08 looks every bit as odd going around sharp curves as the RAe, but without the exposed innards. Why they did this I can't understand. As to R1, I have more space for my layout than most of you, but even so there are places where R1 curves are required to make it work. I try to avoid them, particularly in visible areas, but can't always do so.
-Ron
Offline al_pignolo  
#41 Posted : 28 November 2007 22:06:39(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
<br />Welcome, Martin. As I said I would have been happy with blank ends and coupling boxes like the VT08 and others. Showing the connections like that is terrible.

Armando: I choose to run era IV and V trains on my layout that includes R1 curves. I do not wish to restrict myself as you suggested.

Sorry but I fully agree with Armando and MärCo.
I understand that many people have a little space and choose to restrict their layout with r1 curves.
Other people (maybe less), like me and other users who wrote in this thread, choose to have bigger curve. Please consider that this choice is difficult: you have less possibilities in your layout (shorter stations, bigger space required), and in return you hope to run full lenght carriages.
But if you want to run era IV and V trains in your layout, so we do! And please think for a moment if marklin has ever done one only model to satisfy us! Answer: NO! [xx(]
There is plenty of shortened rolling stock that can run in your layouts. I have to search on other manifacturers' catalogue, but I can assure you that this material circulation is ever worse than marklin: problems with couplers and derailing facility makes them less reliable.
You can't deny that this "gottardo" model had all the features of a top model: full metal, up-to date electronics, (high price) etc: a professional model.
So why a professional model rank should be reduced by a toyish lenght (and exposed wires?)? This is why I am so angry with Marklin (and maybe other people)... if you think at our point of view maybe you'll se we have some reasons!
Regards
Pietro
Offline Jim Thompson  
#42 Posted : 28 November 2007 22:28:34(UTC)
Jim Thompson

I must apologize..while I did include "smilies" biggrinSmile and "shockies" [:0] in my post, I was by no means saying that we should not be angry (regardless of our "radial" Smile status), nor lowering my feeling that M* made a huge mistake! For this kind of money, we all deserve much better - which I think is the point being made. I am truly sorry if I gave the impression of a cavalier attitude and ask forgiveness [:I] .

Peace to all,

Jim Cool
Offline rschaffr  
#43 Posted : 28 November 2007 22:32:59(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
One of Marklin's core values is that it's customers will be able to run good looking model trains on small layouts. They have consistently supported this value and, in fact, it is one of the reasons I started with Marklin in the first place. I wanted, in particular, an E103 with a string of TEE cars to run in my apartment in Germany. Since then I have stayed with Marklin and they have stayed with their primary customer base who feel as I do. Given that this fact is known (and also is principally why Marklin is not take seriously in the hard core US HO market) I ask, in turn why people with your values and desires got into Marklin in the first place. You don't join a team then complain about it's core values and judgments which have been created to support the majority of it's members. You are certainly entitled to correct scale coaches and wide sweeping curves, and there are many manufactures that support that need. Marklin does not, and probably will not in the future.
-Ron
Offline al_pignolo  
#44 Posted : 28 November 2007 22:36:39(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi Jim! I didn't refer to your answer (and to none else!)... Smile I just wanted to show my thought.

You're right, we all feel disappointed by this object!

Peace to you (and all) too, and have fun with your trains whatever they are short, long, on the longest back straight or in the R0 curve... Smile
Pietro
Offline jeehring  
#45 Posted : 28 November 2007 22:39:15(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />No, this expected VT 10 is not a TEE train. It was an experimental train delivered in two versions running for maybe 4 years not being very reliable. A version with sleeping cars and the other one for daytime service. Hard to find any pictures of it.

I don't think that many people know about the two VT 10 and wonder why it might be a good choice for an INSIDER Modell. The two version have different intermediate cars. One with 1 axle bogie and the other with 2 axle bogie between the cars.

Why not
IMHO "Experimental trains" is an interesting subject .
Very few BR 05 & BR 10 were produced too .(respectively 3 & 2 only )
Offline viragoLDR  
#46 Posted : 29 November 2007 01:51:04(UTC)
viragoLDR

No one here has the room to build prototypical curves anyway, even R9 doesn't come close. Heck, even Miniatur-Wunderland doesn't have prototypical curves =)

One thing I don't like with my Japanese N-scale, is the fact that I need to be careful with what I buy. Many passenger sets and especially the Shinkansen will NOT go through curves with a smaller radius than around 300mm (depends on the brand as well.) Not a problem really, 300mm is still doable, even on modules. However, some Japanese loco's have some rather strange features, such as having 3 bogies with 2 axles each, or being semi-articulated. Some of those loco's also need a minimum radius. On the other hand, there's also loco's and trams that will go through a 103mm radius curve (I'm not kidding, I have some of those curves, they look ridiculous, but then again, they fit perfectly fine for trams ;))

Anyway, with Marklin, that problem doesn't exist. I can buy whatever loco or car I want, and I'll know 100% certain that it'll go through any curve I can throw at it. Just look at the Big Boy, or a Gtl 2 x 4/4. Compared to the prototype, they look like silly toys going through R1 curves, but they do go through them. And, like Ron said, for the majority of Marklinists, this is why they went for Marklin.

For those with a lot of space, it's easy enough to say Marklin should limit the minimum radius, but then there'd be many many more angry people then there are now.

That said, I still think they could've at least covered or even painted that circuit board, whoever okay'ed that idea must've been on drugs that day ;)
- Martijn
Offline svgeorgiad  
#47 Posted : 29 November 2007 03:07:00(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />HI Ron,
I know about some pictures of the VT 10. For our Greek friends they might one day produce a V200 which were sold to them after being withdrawn in Germany. That should not be a problem, just a new painting. See what they did with all the NOHABs. Even a MAV version available.

Martin,

Thanks for being sympathetic with us Greeks.biggrinwink
I hope that M* listens to your recommendations.Smile
Here is what we would like to see ...
UserPostedImage
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline Hoffmann  
#48 Posted : 29 November 2007 03:11:53(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

While I did not order this Set (no Customer Orders)lets step back and relax.

1.) None of the users here have seen the Set as it is not delivered to anyone I know.

2.) Let's see where these Pictures originated (the ones showing all the wiring etc)

3.) Let's not all run out and cancel your Orders at your Dealer (after all these are the Items a Dealer can make a living at).

4.) If Marklin does make such a terrible looking set then I agree it should be send back and reworked.

5.) Marklin knows how to make good Trains (see #37605 and #37606).

6.) Just look at other MFG. and see what some of them produce (not all is up to expected Standards or much more expensive then Marklin).

Just my 2 Cents (Canadian-eh)worth.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline alonso231gery  
#49 Posted : 29 November 2007 03:49:00(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
I am not planning to get that soon, i was thinking to buy it, but now i will not, unless i see it with my own eyes so as to inspect it.
Lately i see many negative comments, some on quite trivial issues wink...
Hello Martin (60904), lets hope that M will produce a loco of the Greek railways so as to tempt our DC friends here, which are the majority.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline Armando  
#50 Posted : 29 November 2007 06:53:32(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
<br />...I ask, in turn why people with your values and desires got into Marklin in the first place. You don't join a team then complain about it's core values and judgments which have been created to support the majority of it's members. You are certainly entitled to correct scale coaches and wide sweeping curves, and there are many manufactures that support that need. Marklin does not, and probably will not in the future.

Märklin was the first model train manufacturer that I knew about when I started playing with trains when I was 9 years old. I continued to purchase Märklin models for many reason, one of them being the fact that I like metal-made locomotives. I have been very pleased with some top quality models such as the Big Boy, the VT11, The ALCO PA and the Pennsy, among many others. My great disappointment arises from the fact that Märklin, unlike other brands like Roco, seem to be catering more and more to the toy train "player" than to the serious modeler. Roco has different lines, like for example, the (amputated) 1:100 scale coaches, but also the correct scale 1:87 coaches that are a feast for the eye and look superb behind an Era III or IV locomotive. What to say about the cog-wheels that can still be seen on the bogies of many Märklin steam, electric (like the E-103, yes, how about the screws on the roof?) and diesel locomotives (such as the NOHABS). Many locomotives still don't come with interior cabin details, which are standard now with other brands.

Happily, we have seen "retoolings" of many models, and I hope that this trend continues, despite the new management.

Personally, I feel that I have been ripped off twice by Märklin: the Henschel-Wegmann was a very nasty surprise and now the Gottardo will be the next. Luckily, the sharpests curves that I have are R4 (The Pennsy looks grotesque even over R5!), and I hope that the ugly couplers and inexisting diafragms on the Gottardo will not show too much.

I don't quite agree with you that this team should only deal with those who praise Märklin no matter what, and close their eyes at Märklin's failures or misreprestations. I firmly believe that these both models (or shall I say "toys"?) represent cases of misrepresentation. I think that this should be a support team where everything that deals with the brand should be discussed, praised, critisized, disected, etc.

I have learned a lesson the hard way. But now, I will wait like many other, wiser, modelers on this forum are doing, before I place an order on any new item in 2008.
Best regards,
Armando García