Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plavnostruev  
#101 Posted : 30 November 2007 15:39:06(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Ron:
I am leaving tonight and I very much hope to see Gottardo in action.

Mike C:
Photo was taken at the Fair back in February. Innovative car couplings a la trousers suspenders notwithstanding, this model looked terrific back then and it looks (and drives) great now. I can only imagine seeing cl. 602 (37606) on parallel tracks next to Gottardo and my eyes turn misty [:I]. Can't wait to receive my shipment of them!

Mike
Offline MarioFabro  
#102 Posted : 30 November 2007 17:10:30(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I am not the biggest of M* apologists but, in this case, I think that Mother was in the usual situation of “damn if you do and damn if you don’t” meaning it had two choices, both wrong. That said, I think they could have handled better the connection between cars.
Skirts don’t bother me, since they are also on the much heralded Roco 1:87 cars.

Any such trains look awkward on switches or combinations thereof, weather it is the ICE, the Vt 11.5 or any other.

Yes, Marklin could have handled it better but I stand by my previous comment and, if you want to run your trains on a reasonable HO lay-out, you will have to live with these shortcomings.

I disagree with Armando (marklin is far away from being junk) but also with Lutz in the fact that our criticism and issues should be considered.

On the two points raised on this thread: the Gottardo should have been engineered better. But I am all in favor of 1:100 lengths and other solutions to allow trains to run on R1 curves. I want a show of hands: who has a complete lay out (and I mean also hidden track and shadow stations) only using large radii curves?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline rschaffr  
#103 Posted : 30 November 2007 17:16:57(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
On my layout R1 curves are a necessity. I try to avoid them in visible areas but they are the only solution at times. One of the reasons I lost interest in HO many years ago, dropped out of the NMRA and canceled my Model Railroader subscription was because the US HO scene is so dominated by people who worry about the placement of a wiper blade on a loco or the number of rivets on a boiler that it took all the fun out of it. When I found Marklin where it was acceptable and even encouraged to do a representation of reality rather than a reproduction of reality it was like an epiphany.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline biotechee  
#104 Posted : 30 November 2007 17:34:04(UTC)
biotechee

I don't envision ever having a layout without R1. Prototypical operation is not high on my list.
Offline john black  
#105 Posted : 30 November 2007 19:12:06(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by al_pignolo
<br />I think I've the right to write that

Dear Pietro Smile - you are so right. I think the very same.

That's why you and me and a few hundred others are here - for freely expressing our opinions.
And since we are a free world forum Cool no f***ing clown will ever tell us "shut-up" biggrin[}:)]

Re R1 - I love all track. But cos of limited space I have only R1 and R2 ... [:I]

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline john black  
#106 Posted : 30 November 2007 19:45:15(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by alonso231gery
<br />I love this forum biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline pa-pauls  
#107 Posted : 30 November 2007 20:22:02(UTC)
pa-pauls

Me too Nikos biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Guus  
#108 Posted : 30 November 2007 20:25:17(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Pietro:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I think we're at a wrong point now. This is probably my last post in this thread, but I just want to remember that we're only sharing some opinions. Sorry if I offended someone, but what I said is just that I don't like very much this product, as many of you said. I think I've the right to write that. And this doesn't mean that I dislike all marklin production!
And if I writed that I like full-lenght carriages, for example, it's just because I'd want to run these! (and as MarioFabro said, it's hard to run roco products!). But carriage lenght is not the reason why I choosed marklin 25 years ago (and I'm still proud of this choice). So please be careful to say "you don't agree with maklin philosophy, go away or change hobby". I just wanted to share my opinion, and that's all. I know that many people think different from me, but I've read too many times in this thread this statement.

I dont'want (and I didn't want) to fuel any controversy. Sorry if I did.

Have a nice weekend
Pietro

I feel exactly the same way Pietro. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Hemmerich  
#109 Posted : 30 November 2007 20:31:41(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
Well if you don't care, why did you bother to quote me and answer?

Because to make very clear to you that nobody really cares what you spend your money for - and even worse - you know this! [}:)]

What serious members including myself on this forum are interested in is information about how they improved a model (either by doing it themselves or someone else - which could include Märklin) when they felt that those could be improved.

This basic good human behavior is a standard (in the (U.S.) world class company I have been working now for a number of decades), for anyone complaining about something that s/he MUST provide a constructive solution to the issue s/he raised (i.e. win-win).

PS: You also just complained about it, but You seem not to have even read what Märklin wrote with regards to the possibilities of interior lights for the HWZ. wink
Offline Hemmerich  
#110 Posted : 30 November 2007 20:36:50(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
Mike C: Photo was taken at the Fair back in February.

Within my picture sequence from the Nürnberg toy fair in February on this forum here, I also posted at least one picture of the Gottardo where you could already see the bogie skirts.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I can only imagine seeing cl. 602 (37606) on parallel tracks next to Gottardo and my eyes turn misty [:I]. Can't wait to receive my shipment of them!

You'll surely not be disappointed! winkwinkwink
Offline Hemmerich  
#111 Posted : 30 November 2007 20:50:44(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MarioFabro
I disagree with Armando (marklin is far away from being junk) but also with Lutz in the fact that our criticism and issues should be considered.

Mario,

please read my response to Armando, especially with regards to my opinon about "complaints". wink

Nobody ever said that critique is not desired - but it should be done in a "right manner"! Smile
Offline Armando  
#112 Posted : 30 November 2007 21:06:12(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Lutz:

I wished that the problems regarding the Henschel-Wegmann fiasco would only be limited to the optional installation of interior lightning. Life would be great then!

At the time when I placed my pre-order with my dealer for the Gottardo fiasco, none of its shortcommings were evident in the new items brochure. Well, maybe only one big flaw was mentioned: that it would be "near" scale (i.e. truncated, guess why?). That is what I complain about: misrepresentation. Had I known about the end result, I would have NEVER considered ordering this Gottardo freak.

Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline john black  
#113 Posted : 30 November 2007 21:31:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />What serious members including myself on this forum are interested in
is information about how they improved a model

Accepted, Lutz Smile
Now - what can be done with that offending wire harness confused
UserPostedImage

Offline dntower85  
#114 Posted : 30 November 2007 21:53:35(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by john black

Now - what can be done with that offending wire harness confused

[size=2]I don't think it should be monkeyed with.biggrin

UserPostedImage
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Guus  
#115 Posted : 30 November 2007 21:59:40(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Lutz:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:What serious members including myself on this forum are interested in is information about how they improved a model (either by doing it themselves or someone else - which could include Märklin) when they felt that those could be improved.

I fully agree with that Lutz!

originally posted by John:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Now - what can be done with that offending wire harness

In my mail to Märklin I suggested a solution like on the 37605 VT 11.5 TEE,or another less offending connection with a small black plug.The latter is only possible with a complete redesign of the coupling ofcourse
I hope many other potential buyers of the Gottardo have reacted and come up with their ideas.

Like i've said before the model is partly excellent and is disappointing in other aspects.
I still think it looks absolutely great on a straight piece of track and or in a showcase!

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline john black  
#116 Posted : 30 November 2007 22:11:25(UTC)
john black

United States   
Darrin, you're a real pro Cool in computer graphics. But I doubt this one will sell biggrin

Guus - most honest intent from your side Smile. Let's wait for their answer ...

Offline David Dewar  
#117 Posted : 30 November 2007 22:24:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If I get a loco that doesnt work or is badly designed the it goes back for a refund. I am sure not going to start trying to put right faults (unless minor and caused by shipping) I pay for a loco that should work out the box.
As John says about the circuit board what do we do with that. Not that I will be buying this model anyway.
However on what has to be very positive note of all the Marklin locos I have purchased there has only been one that did not run and it went back. All the others are fine but then I am selective in what I buy.
Even my MS still works after all these years.

Originally posted by al_pignolo

I think I've the right to write that

Your opinions are always welcome... not all may agree but that can provise a good discussion.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Hemmerich  
#118 Posted : 30 November 2007 23:57:03(UTC)
Hemmerich

Any 1:87 car will look awkward on a R1; besides the complete weird couplings which have not the slightest thing to do with prototypes.

UserPostedImage

The overhang is inacceptable - and yet there are people out who demand that all HO cars should be like that.

UserPostedImage

The REAL only way to get around this is to move to 1:87 radius - and for those folks and any others complaining the Gottardo "problem" would be gone immediate. wink

So, EITHER accept the compromises that are needed for R1 usage OR change your layouts such that as well the radius conform to the 1:87 scale. SmileSmileSmile
Offline intruder  
#119 Posted : 01 December 2007 00:19:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I am very happy with the 24cm (or shorter) coaches, as they look quite normal in R1 curves.

If the green colour of the connectors is a major problem, why not just paint them black with some touch-up car paint?
(Edit Dec 1. 00:05) Or, as Guus said (sorry, John) - look at it from the inside of the curve.

I do not understand how a minimal "problem" like this can cause such disturbance. No wonder there are wars in the world.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#120 Posted : 01 December 2007 00:49:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />On my layout R1 curves are a necessity. I try to avoid them in visible areas but they are the only solution at times. One of the reasons I lost interest in HO many years ago, dropped out of the NMRA and canceled my Model Railroader subscription was because the US HO scene is so dominated by people who worry about the placement of a wiper blade on a loco or the number of rivets on a boiler that it took all the fun out of it. When I found Marklin where it was acceptable and even encouraged to do a representation of reality rather than a reproduction of reality it was like an epiphany.

Hear, Hear Ron. I don't have a problem with people wanting to be 'Rivets Counters', providing they don't hang me for wanting to run a green Krokodil with red DB Cargo freight cars!! Each to their own, after all this is meant to be fun!!
Offline rschaffr  
#121 Posted : 01 December 2007 03:33:37(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have no problems with rivet counters (Nietzenzähler?) if that is what excites you. It is just that in my younger days in American HO there were so many (virtually everyone one talked to) that I felt somehow inadequate because I didn't feel that way and figured I was in the wrong hobby. I now realize that there is a place in the hobby for all and it doesn't make one more right than the other.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline alonso231gery  
#122 Posted : 01 December 2007 04:22:39(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pa-pauls
<br />Me too Nikos biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

When it becomes a bit more vivid, i tend to like it even more biggrin.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline MarioFabro  
#123 Posted : 01 December 2007 06:48:00(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Quote:
<br />The REAL only way to get around this is to move to 1:87 radius - and for those folks and any others complaining the Gottardo "problem" would be gone immediate. wink

I have frequently disaggreed with Lutz but in this case I fully agree with him. Run the Gottardo on R9 curves minimum and you will not notice the skirts nor the connectors!
It may be a fiasco for someone but I stick with my order and will get this model. I even venture in a bet that if M* re-thinks the car connection issue (the skirts are unavoidable and I can live with that in order to run it on my toy-like layout) they will make it so that it can be retrofitted for everyone. After all, that's what they did with the CS offering the up-date to everyone. So, fiasco or freak model, I will get my Gottardo.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline renevoorburg  
#124 Posted : 01 December 2007 08:03:15(UTC)
renevoorburg

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Now - what can be done with that offending wire harness

Perhaps this?
UserPostedImage

René
Offline perz  
#125 Posted : 01 December 2007 16:44:28(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by renevoorburg
<br />
Quote:

Perhaps this?<br />
(picture deleted)<br />

René

Of course something can be done about the offending wire harness, and about most other things too.

However, with these high priced one-time series there is always a dilemma. The modeller in you wants to fix all the problems with the product, but the collector in you wants to keep the model in its original shape. What to do? Buy two? But they are expensive! I don't have the Gottardo, but I feel this dilemma with the 39700 TEE which could be a wonderful model with some fixes but is completely useless to me as long as I keep it unchanged. The collector in me has won the fight so far, so the 39700 rests in its box...
Offline jonquinn  
#126 Posted : 01 December 2007 19:31:10(UTC)
jonquinn

almost looks like the VT.11 car bellows would fit neatly inside the gottardo cars. are these parts available as a replacement part from marklin? it would be interesting to see if the fit is close.
I'd rather see marklin hold up production and do the change (and the right thing) themselves, but with a little courage I would not mind making a modification myself.
Offline Armando  
#127 Posted : 01 December 2007 22:32:06(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello??? Excuse me! What is totally against all the laws of elementary aesthetic here is your trying to run these coaches on curves that are intended for N tramways (R1). It's like placing the cart before the donkey.

Try having the GG1 negotiate R1 curves and you'll see how awful it looks!

The solution is simple: don't use anything less that R5 on your layout if you want your Roco 1:87 scale coaches or your GG1 or your Big Boy, etc. to look decent on your layout. If you use R1, keep on investing in Märklin's amputated 26 or 28mm coaches.

Armando

Quote:
<br />Any 1:87 car will look awkward on a R1; besides the complete weird couplings which have not the slightest thing to do with prototypes.

UserPostedImage

The overhang is inacceptable - and yet there are people out who demand that all HO cars should be like that.

UserPostedImage

The REAL only way to get around this is to move to 1:87 radius - and for those folks and any others complaining the Gottardo "problem" would be gone immediate. wink

So, EITHER accept the compromises that are needed for R1 usage OR change your layouts such that as well the radius conform to the 1:87 scale. SmileSmileSmile
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Hemmerich  
#128 Posted : 01 December 2007 22:32:19(UTC)
Hemmerich

Did you ever recognize the difference in car length between the VT11.5 and Gottardo? Maybe a more intense study of this will give you some answers regarding Märklin's decision. wink

PS: I can tell you, if it would have been technically as easy feasible the Gottardo would have also been equipped with that "solution" (btw - the 2008 Senator will be alike the VT11.5; also due to the shorter length of its cars).
Offline metpo  
#129 Posted : 02 December 2007 00:07:46(UTC)
metpo

Those days I have been thinking that perhaps the "hole between the coaches" could be improved (I mean: make it like this tha t the hole disappears)... I think if you are handy it is really possbile to do it with some rubber stuff...
Offline MarioFabro  
#130 Posted : 02 December 2007 00:17:50(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Quote:
The solution is simple: don't use anything less that R5 on your layout

The day I can afford the local sports arena for my lay-out I will surely use ONLY R5 and above.. winkwinkwinkwinkwink
In the meantime, I am happy to use the 1:100 cars by M* while the otherwise well built 1:87 Roco cars sit in the closet.
Quote:
The solution is simple: don't use anything less that R5 on your layout

Well then.. THERE YOU HAVE IT.. Armando you should ABSOLUTELY have no problem with the Gottardo since you will hardly see the skirts and the wire harness biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

This is actually the BEST of both worlds, since you will preserve the aestetics look of the train and the rest of us can still enjoy it in our "tin-toy lay-out"..
Offline Schienenbus  
#131 Posted : 02 December 2007 02:08:56(UTC)
Schienenbus

Quote:
<br />Hello??? Excuse me! What is totally against all the laws of elementary aesthetic here is your trying to run these coaches on curves that are intended for N tramways (R1). It's like placing the cart before the donkey.

Try having the GG1 negotiate R1 curves and you'll see how awful it looks!

The solution is simple: don't use anything less that R5 on your layout if you want your Roco 1:87 scale coaches or your GG1 or your Big Boy, etc. to look decent on your layout. If you use R1, keep on investing in Märklin's amputated 26 or 28mm coaches.

Armando

Hi Armando,

I want to be constructive. If you still have the Gottardo and if you still want to get rid of it, let me know. I'll give you $250 for it, you mail it to me (CA address!) and you can forget about it immediately.

I saw it at the IMA today on a curve and I do like it enough...

Interested?

Arthur
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#132 Posted : 02 December 2007 02:38:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
<h1>R1 curves Forever, I say!! </h1>
Offline Armando  
#133 Posted : 02 December 2007 05:43:14(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br /><h1>R1 curves Forever, I say!! </h1>

I have a lot of R1 and R2 curves that I discarded, including curved turnouts if you're interested. Please let me know.
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Tony  
#134 Posted : 02 December 2007 09:54:07(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Wow this is an interesting thread,
I don't have this model, but to me , just paint the little circuit boards black and you probably won't see the connector any more. all good No worries..... ( M should have thought of that!!)

Regards Tony
Offline xxup  
#135 Posted : 02 December 2007 10:51:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz

[size=5]R1 M-track curves forever.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline xxup  
#136 Posted : 02 December 2007 10:52:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tony
<br />Wow this is an interesting thread,
I don't have this model, but to me , just paint the little circuit boards black and you probably won't see the connector any more. all good No worries..... ( M should have thought of that!!)

Yes painting the board works, but I am more concerned about how many curves they will transit before the boards snap from too much flexing..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#137 Posted : 02 December 2007 11:25:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />[size=5]R1 M-track curves forever.

So true, Adrian!! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline MärCo  
#138 Posted : 02 December 2007 11:49:03(UTC)
MärCo

R1 curves, and accept that you need 1:100 coaches. The overhang with 1:100 coaches in combination with R1 curves is far better.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline Goofy  
#139 Posted : 02 December 2007 13:42:19(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz

The smallest curves i have in my layout is R5=543 mm...!

This is the best way of realism from after prototyp by using era 1 traffic.

R1 curves dont rules...!

Goofy [:(!]
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Schienenbus  
#140 Posted : 02 December 2007 13:46:14(UTC)
Schienenbus

I received my 26290 M4M train. And the passenger car in this set is 29cm long. I must admit it looks a bit long on my layout - maybe I need to get used to it. I any case it cannot go over my R1 Maerklin bridge - some little thingie at the bottom catches the railing... Well, next house must have a larger train room to make R3 the min... But hey, no bridges for that radius available, or are there???
Offline Goofy  
#141 Posted : 02 December 2007 13:46:26(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by renevoorburg
<br />
Quote:

Perhaps this?
UserPostedImage

René

Placement a kind of rubberlatex between coaches.

I know myself,that there is an french company who are producing this kind of.

I dont the name of company... [V]

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline David Dewar  
#142 Posted : 02 December 2007 16:29:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Goofy There is indeed a French firm making connecting corridors. I heard of it a long time ago but like you dont know the name.
Perhaps one of our French members may know?

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Unholz  
#143 Posted : 02 December 2007 22:14:07(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
There is indeed a French firm making connecting corridors. I heard of it a long time ago but like you dont know the name.
Perhaps one of our French members may know?

Not a French member, but nearby. wink Perhaps GPP? (Scroll down until you arrive at "soufflets")

http://pagesperso-orange.../soufflets/soufflets.htm
Offline al_pignolo  
#144 Posted : 02 December 2007 22:53:28(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br /> When I found Marklin where it was acceptable and even encouraged to do a representation of reality rather than a reproduction of reality it was like an epiphany.
I have no problems with rivet counters (Nietzenzähler?) if that is what excites you. It is just that in my younger days in American HO there were so many (virtually everyone one talked to) that I felt somehow inadequate because I didn't feel that way and figured I was in the wrong hobby. I now realize that there is a place in the hobby for all and it doesn't make one more right than the other.

Ron, breaking my silence promise I must say that this statement about your philosophy is 100% in agreement with mine! A perfect abstract of what I think, too, despite of my fetish of 1:87 lenght! But we all must have one... you can call me a "window counter" biggrin (even if I don't mind about green connectors... )
Regards
Pietro
Offline David Dewar  
#145 Posted : 03 December 2007 00:14:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Stephan. Many thanks for information. My next question is probably obvious : Have you tried them and do they work?

David
Offline Unholz  
#146 Posted : 03 December 2007 07:23:07(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
David: no, I haven't tried them. But 41 Euros for 5 pairs is not that much, so I guess one could take the risk.
Offline jonquinn  
#147 Posted : 03 December 2007 07:40:51(UTC)
jonquinn

here's another possibility, not likely to pit without some reworking
http://www.thecoachyard....quipment/ProtoDiaph.html
these aren't inexpensive either ($18 US each), however.

probably would require a new frame and maybe double it up to work on tight turns. Whenver I do buy my Gottardo I will try these out, unless someone else makes a similar part designed explicitly for the Gottardo in HO.
Offline mike c  
#148 Posted : 06 December 2007 04:24:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Technical query about the 39540 Gottardo model

1) What kind of decoder does the model come with?

2) Is the sound module part of the decoder (ie Loksound) or is it a separate module (like the 39420 Re 4/4I).

If it is a Loksound decoder, the sounds may be changed.

3) Can somebody post a photo of the end of one of the coaches as well as a photo of the model in the dark and a photo of the model on radius 3, 4 or 5 curves?

Thanks

Mike C
Offline 60904  
#149 Posted : 06 December 2007 15:56:54(UTC)

Germany   
Hi,
it is not an ESU Loksound.
Greetings
Martin
Offline Hemmerich  
#150 Posted : 07 December 2007 01:26:37(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
1) What kind of decoder does the model come with?

Hi Mike,

21-pin mfx decoder

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:2) Is the sound module part of the decoder (ie Loksound) or is it a separate module (like the 39420 Re 4/4I).

Same setup as in Re4/4 (including station announcement and signal horn); as it was specified right from the beginning.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:3) Can somebody post a photo of the end of one of the coaches as well as a photo of the model in the dark and a photo of the model on radius 3, 4 or 5 curves?

For anyone in favor of this model (like myself) here's the desired pic of this little masterpiece.

UserPostedImage

Were you interested in these views (train on R1)?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And here the "real" one (SBB Historic version). [:p]

UserPostedImage