Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#301 Posted : 18 December 2007 03:45:40(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
<br />...and the ROCO bashing continues.[:(!]

While I would not be the first to recommend ROCO coaches for Marklin layouts, I will say that AC locos by ROCO are:

Mike: why wouldn't your recommend ROCO coaches for Märklin layouts? Is it because of R1? I haven't so far had any problems with these coaches. I use Roco's couplers between the cars, and a NEM Märklin compatible between the locomotive and the first coach.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline bmcrae  
#302 Posted : 18 December 2007 05:33:30(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Page 4? Can't say people here aren't passionate about what they like!! [:0]
Offline mrmarklin  
#303 Posted : 18 December 2007 06:36:53(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MarioFabro
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by plavnostruev
Are you kidding? A number of models are available with great sound.
What I mean is that I have a few electric Rocos without sound and there is barely enough space to put a decoder in (and sometime you have to remove the cabin plastic interior to find a place for it).
The newer ones are smooth runners I agree however I have already broken bits and pieces of plastic in each of them. Being plastic, superglue comes very handy biggrin
In this you all would agree with me: Marklin offers the best solutions for retrofitting older locomotives.

Had a couple of Roco loks back in the 80s. They seemed very smooth and good runners. But on the layout they were very poor. The pantographs would not pick up current as Marklin ones, the springs were too weak, and not being designed originally as 3 railers they would not track as consistently as Marklin. I sold them soon as I found out that they only ran well on a test track.Cool

The plastic shell eventually becomes a real burden, especially when a lok is handled a lot such as our ETE modular environment. I've seen Roco users lift the shell right off the chassis because (I presume) wear of the little tabs holding it on.[:o)]

The stock close couplers are also a problem in a modular environment, which is admittedly very "dirty". Lots of false uncouplings due to uneven track surfaces. This must be better controlled at home. Only R5 curves are on the modules, but Marklin passenger cars still track the best. That's my Roco experience...mostly negative.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Schienenbus  
#304 Posted : 18 December 2007 14:20:20(UTC)
Schienenbus

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />The fact that you have to pre order these models is probably the problem. This suits the manufacturer but is a disadvantage to the customer and it is not of course only Marklin who work like this.
David

Sorry - but I don't understand... Since the Gottardo was finally shipped at least five ot them appear everyday on eBay.de - from Maerklin dealers, with warranty and untouched, new in package...

So who had to preorder before seeing the train?

Even the 'strictly made to order' Insider BR 05 is readily available on eBay...

Is there any model that was released in the recent past that actually was NOT available after its release without a pre-order...

Maybe you are creating a problem where there is none...

Cheers,
A.
Offline David Dewar  
#305 Posted : 18 December 2007 17:47:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
From what has been posted here most have pre ordered the model. Very few see ebay models before buying them.
From the complaints listed here the buyers would not have bought had they seen the model first or a picture of it with the connector.
Many manufacturers now make numbers to order with HAG being one although their stuff does not cause design problems.
I cant believe we are on to page 4 of this and I am as much to blame as i didnt buy it and dont want it but I am still posting.. such is the joy of Marklin.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#306 Posted : 18 December 2007 18:34:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Schienenbus

Sorry - but I don't understand... Since the Gottardo was finally shipped at least five ot them appear everyday on eBay.de - from Maerklin dealers, with warranty and untouched, new in package...

So who had to preorder before seeing the train?

Even the 'strictly made to order' Insider BR 05 is readily available on eBay...

Is there any model that was released in the recent past that actually was NOT available after its release without a pre-order...

Maybe you are creating a problem where there is none...

Cheers,
A.

Hello A:

The fact of the matter is this. The listings on eBay are very recent, ie the past few weeks. Many of us determined our model train budgets many months ago when the New Items lists were released. As such, we sent our orders for these New Items to our favorite hobby shop.
Waiting for eBay is a risky proposition. For example, I know at least one ebay seller who has a reputation for posting items online that he could not sell in store due to a small defect or damage that most of his customers had detected. When the buyer of the item would notice the damage, they were referred to the manufacturer for repairs.

Also, if you don't live on the Moon, you would realize that many companies and dealers offer discounts to pre-orders, to encourage us to order sight unseen. So, our orders are based on the info and photos provided by the company and the frustration develops when the model does not look like the pre-photos on delivery.

That basically resumes what the whole discussion is about.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Hemmerich  
#307 Posted : 19 December 2007 01:53:58(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
So, our orders are based on the info and photos provided by the company and the frustration develops when the model does not look like the pre-photos on delivery.

Sounds like engaging with a woman for the rest of the life w/o having met her before, just based upon a nice photo she sent around - simply ask who is SOLELY accountable for buying a cat in the bag? biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline mike c  
#308 Posted : 19 December 2007 03:32:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />
Quote:
So, our orders are based on the info and photos provided by the company and the frustration develops when the model does not look like the pre-photos on delivery.

Sounds like engaging with a woman for the rest of the life w/o having met her before, just based upon a nice photo she sent around - simply ask who is SOLELY accountable for buying a cat in the bag? biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Lutz,

As long as she looks like the photo, no problem, but if her a** sticks out too much when she walks around the corner, then back to the shop she goes.

BTW, with all this talk about China, I am not sure I would want to buy a cat in a bag.

Regards

MC
Offline foumaro  
#309 Posted : 19 December 2007 05:10:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
In Greece we are saying."Do noy buy pig in a bag."
Offline nevw  
#310 Posted : 19 December 2007 07:31:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Gents and Ladies,

We forget one important thing here about buying a Pig in a poke/bag or sight unseen.
Lutz is not a normal marklinist. Normal marklinists have to buy a lot of items sight unseen based on a Photo taken at the best possible angle etc..
Lutz sees the Photos, sees the Prototype, then sees the Production version. THEN He buys. SO LUTZ never has to do what he quoted:

Sounds like engaging with a woman for the rest of the life w/o having met her before, just based upon a nice photo she sent around - simply ask who is SOLELY accountable for buying a cat in the bag?
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#311 Posted : 19 December 2007 08:43:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by bmcrae
<br />Page 4? Can't say people here aren't passionate about what they like!! [:0]

Sigh!! I'm not saying any more than that!!
Offline nevw  
#312 Posted : 19 December 2007 09:16:52(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by bmcrae
<br />Page 4? Can't say people here aren't passionate about what they like!! [:0]

Well the hand uncoupler topic got to 3 pages.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline RayF  
#313 Posted : 19 December 2007 09:35:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK, lets analyze this. We are here because:

a. We love Marklin, buy everything they make, and defend everything we buy.

b. We like Marklin, buy many of their products, but also others, are reasonably happy with what Marklin make.

c. We like the Marklin system, buy only some of what they make, but prefer other manufacturers.

d. We use the Marklin system but don't like it, order some of their products and are disappointed, and complain bitterly.

I would put Lutz in (a) and Armando in (d), based on their posts. No offence intended.

Would you agree?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#314 Posted : 19 December 2007 10:09:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yup.
Offline john black  
#315 Posted : 19 December 2007 13:45:31(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />OK, lets analyze this. We are here because:

Why we're here. I'm here because: aaa) I love M's classic heavy-metal stuff [:p][:p][:p]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#316 Posted : 19 December 2007 16:54:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Ray I would say just about right. Most of us have a balanced view of the good and bad of model rail while others can only see one direction. As long as we all enjoy it then thats fine by me.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Armando  
#317 Posted : 20 December 2007 02:48:42(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />OK, lets analyze this. We are here because:

a. We love Marklin, buy everything they make, and defend everything we buy.

b. We like Marklin, buy many of their products, but also others, are reasonably happy with what Marklin make.

c. We like the Marklin system, buy only some of what they make, but prefer other manufacturers.

d. We use the Marklin system but don't like it, order some of their products and are disappointed, and complain bitterly.

I would put Lutz in (a) and Armando in (d), based on their posts. No offence intended.

Would you agree?

Sorry Ray, I have to correct your assumption. In as much as I agree with you in what seems to be the case for Lutz, I must clarify that I buy Märklin because of tradition and fondness. My first model train (1969) was Märklin (start set 3100). All of my 55-some locomotives are Märklin. I like the 3-rail technology. Most of my coaches and freight cars are Märklin. All of my 303mm passenger coaches (love them!) and some freight cars are Roco, Electrotren, Fleischmann, etc. Since Märklin hasn't been keen on making decent US coaches, all of my US coaches are Rivarossi or Rapido Trains or Branchline Trains. (Märklin, please, you do not mix curtailed Santa Fe coaches with a Union Pacific Alco PA!).

However, I do not buy blindly everything Märklin makes. I would never invest a single cent in Märklin's uselessly new 290 coaches, nor again in any model that has been recycled for the Nth time, using the old and poorly detailed moulds (E-103, E-94, BR-03, BR-41, Nohabs and so forth). And I am always ready to express my critizism over items that I consider poorly designed or made. On the other hand, I consider most items in my Märklin collection to be absolutely fantastic.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline stenscience  
#318 Posted : 20 December 2007 21:02:08(UTC)
stenscience

And now the healing begins........
It's been fun to watch this argument go around and around, but it's time to put the horse down.IMHO.
Offline RayF  
#319 Posted : 20 December 2007 21:14:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Armando,

Thanks for the clarification. I did wonder whether anything made by Marklin met your standards.

I, too, grumble at some of the things produced by Marklin, but I lean in the other direction. I was very annoyed when they stopped making the 24cm coaches, for example.

To each his own.

Ray
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#320 Posted : 21 December 2007 01:15:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by stenscience
<br />..... but it's time to put the horse down.IMHO.

We keep trying, but it just won't die......
Offline RayF  
#321 Posted : 21 December 2007 01:21:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Not until I make 1000 posts!

biggrin
Ray
Offline intruder  
#322 Posted : 21 December 2007 01:44:58(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Only 28 to go, Ray!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline jeehring  
#323 Posted : 21 December 2007 02:13:40(UTC)
jeehring

THis race for details and more & more details sometimes looks like a rat race . Specially with plastic : in HO scale too much details lead too a non realistic model .You can see a small tap that has more presence on the model than on the real coach & many things like that...
Only few handycraft models allow nice but expensive detailling .
IMHO O scale or 1 scale only are the good scale for realistic super detailling .
Offline MarioFabro  
#324 Posted : 21 December 2007 12:07:43(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Quote:
<br />
I have installed ESU Loksound decoders on both one of my Re 6/6 and one of my Re 460 loks. Both of them work wonderfully. The speaker was inserted beneath the top weight above the non-powered bogie.
In some of my Rocos there is barely the place for a decoder and it fits right under the shell. This because to have sufficient weight the frame is very thick
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I have never had a part fall off a Roco Lok while opening it.
buffers usually fly away and other small items are flimsy, at least in the ones I have. Marklin has metal additions that are more solidly fixed
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: I would rather add the parts myself that have them come in the box and have to send the item back because the handrail was bent or the UIC connector was broken.
I disagree. I have a Roco crocodile that came with all the railings separate. Some are metal and need to be painted yellow. It's a pain and you have to remove them if you open the shell. The home applied paint also chips away more easily. I had to order an additional bag of details just to be sure not to loose them. In the Roco italian "milleporte" cars you have to attach minuscule door handles (about 12 per side) manually. It took me two hours, tweezers and magnifying lenses and I lost countless of the little suckers. Looks very nice but what a pain in the ass!
All the above looks great in you inspect the model closely (like the internal detail) but it's lost once the model travels on the lay-out and you are feet away.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Each manufacturer's products have their pluses and minuses. I cannot honestly say that one is better than the other.

If you think a particular model is better than the same model from another brand, go for it. There is no law saying that all your loks have to be from the same mfg. I have Maerklin, Hag and Roco Re 460s and Re 4/4IIs and they all work fine.
I have also many Roco (Ae 8/8, Re460, five italian ones, etc.) but mostly because I can't get them in Marklin.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I have never had to pry a Roco lok open. A little outwards pressure at the right place and it opens no problem. You may have to remove a few of the hoses and/or buffers to allow for the shell to come off. Read the instructions to find exactly where to open each lok.
A few are like that. Mostly I have however to "shake" the loco because there may be four tabs, at the corners, and with two hands it's difficult to dislodge all four at the same time. Also, on some locos, they make a hooked connection above that works opposite (keeps the housing attached to the frame). Those are the first to go.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mrmarklin
<br />The stock close couplers are also a problem in a modular environment, which is admittedly very "dirty". Lots of false uncouplings due to uneven track surfaces. This must be better controlled at home. Only R5 curves are on the modules, but Marklin passenger cars still track the best. That's my Roco experience...mostly negative.
That happens to me as well. Roco and Liliput cars have the tendency to un-couple themselves, no matter what. I found Marklin couplers to be much more reliable.

My personal two cents remain the same: Marklin is more designed for operation, Roco is more designed for prototypical correct representation but less for operation. Also the plastic gears on the Roco locomotives (also present on the Marklin 36xxx series of budget priced locomotives) point towards a lower life than the metal Marklin and Hag costruction.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline 7gauges  
#325 Posted : 26 December 2007 16:13:22(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
I actually got my Gottardo before Christmas, and it is a fairly well executed model. Given its mass, at full speed on 360mmm curves - it hasn't got a chance of derailing (on 3 rail, m-track, k track - or that awful c track). Other than the misplaced glob of glue on the brake hoses on the control car - it is well done. The intercar connectors are black on one side and PCB green on the other - I can't figure that one out at all.

Admittedly this train looks ridiclous running on tight curves with the funny bogies and the wide spacing between cars, but the Marklin trains are made to run under all conditions and not to just be looked at.....

The one criticism I do have is how flimsy the clips on the intercar connectors appear to be - this train is quite easy to pull apart - actually surprisingly so - I predict a recall.

Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline 60904  
#326 Posted : 28 December 2007 17:10:27(UTC)

Germany   
Hi,
drive the trainset into a curve and try to connect the coaches from the outside so that the couplings are tighter. They do not uncouple then.
Greetings
Martin
Offline rschaffr  
#327 Posted : 30 December 2007 05:17:22(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Interesting note...MS Toys had a Gottardo on eBay for $759.00 and no-one bid on it.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline mrmarklin  
#328 Posted : 30 December 2007 07:42:43(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I have run and tested the Gottardo extensively now. I would like to do a review, but the system won't let me.......................Webmaster???

Dave Pryor
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline alonso231gery  
#329 Posted : 30 December 2007 12:36:22(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Webmaster???
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline steventrain  
#330 Posted : 30 December 2007 13:34:32(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
You can email the Webmaster.

It might be 'Loco reviews currently disabled' see topic on.

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=7423
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.