Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2007 22:28:35(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello,

I have a question for those of you who might be familiar with the prototype.

Has Märklin (yes, at least for once...) respected the correct 1:87 length on this train, or has it been "adjusted" to be able to negotiate the toytrain R1 radius?

If the latter is true....what a missed opportunity to produce a world class model!

Regards,
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline MärCo  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2007 22:54:48(UTC)
MärCo

Well, let's put another answer.
Exact 1:87 is very nice if you have a spacious home, but if it would be 1:100 and the character of the model is very good, I will also enjoy it.
For the records, I have a layout with mostly R1 curves, and I don't consider it a toy-layout.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline Armando  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2007 23:16:43(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi MärCo:
Sorry, but I cannot possibly agree with you. There already is plenty of material to chose from that at the 1:87 scale can negotiate the small radius. Seen from the modeller's point of view, I think it is very disappointing that the exact proportions of a model be compromised just because it has to fit the tramway R1 radius.
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2007 23:26:55(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Many people do not have the room to accommodate large radius curves in their layout. Are you saying that they should not participate in the hobby? That their efforts in layout construction and modeling is nothing but playing with toys? There are many compromises to reality in model railroading. The 1:100 length to make coaches negotiate R1 curves at all or at least without looking comical is one I can certainly live with.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2007 23:40:37(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
News brochure states "close to scale length", which I think indicates a clear "NO" to your question.
For the RAm TEE the brochure states "Full scale length". QED! ;-)
-Anyway I think RAe´s length has already been discussed in another thread here. Probably 93,5:1, but go look for yourself ;-)

Armando; to stay with your own analogy; the Gottardo was already modelled by Lima to full scale length, so I would be happy to have one at reduced length that would actually be able to run on my little toyish layout! :-)))
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Armando  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2007 02:16:40(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thank you all for your comments.

However, I find it very difficult to agree on this matter. As a modeller, I would never like to see a piece to be curtailed or distorted, just because it has to fit into a constraint. My point is that there is plenty of Era I, II and III coaches that, at the right 1:87 scale, are suitable for the tramway radius. ROCO is actually more generous: they offer both alternatives in their fast train coaches, i.e., the correct one at 303 mmm and the distorted at 264 mm. At least one has a choice there.

Maybe Märklin is just not really the brand for me to own.

Regards,
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Frostie  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2007 03:36:17(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
It seems that there are two thoughts here.

1) Museum quality accuracy

2) The ability to operate effectively on layouts owned by the majority of Model RR Operators.

If you really want museum quality items, Marklin is not the brand you are looking for. Fine Art models offer that accuracy, but that does come at a significant price.

Marklin is geared towards the consumer that wants to operate their trains on layouts that most people own which means it must function on R1 curves and turnouts.
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline JT42CWRDriver  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2007 15:59:17(UTC)
JT42CWRDriver

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
<br />Thank you all for your comments.

However, I find it very difficult to agree on this matter. As a modeller, I would never like to see a piece to be curtailed or distorted, just because it has to fit into a constraint. My point is that there is plenty of Era I, II and III coaches that, at the right 1:87 scale, are suitable for the tramway radius. ROCO is actually more generous: they offer both alternatives in their fast train coaches, i.e., the correct one at 303 mmm and the distorted at 264 mm. At least one has a choice there.

Maybe Märklin is just not really the brand for me to own.

Regards,
Armando

I'm not a big fan of the 1:100 coaches either, they look wrong to me. I think the 1:93.5 scale adopted by Fleischmann and now Märklin is a better compromise, they look right, they have the correct number of windows and they will still run on 360mm No.1 rad. curves.

Cheers,

Peter.
3 Rail/2 Rail Märklin, Fleischmann, Roco. DCC.
Offline HGH  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2007 01:33:35(UTC)
HGH

Hi all together,

in Switzerland the first modells of the new "Gottardo" were seen.

<u>Here are some pictures:</u>
http://www.suter-meggen....eiten_2007/rae/index.htm

<u>And here are some in a layout:</u>
http://stummi.foren-city...lin-gottardo.html#175136

<u>And here is a big thread with some pictures of a real Gottardo:</u>
http://stummi.foren-city...do-gesichtet.html#175136

Make your own decision.wink
with kind regards ... HGH

modell-railroading is fun
Offline Jim Thompson  
#10 Posted : 23 November 2007 03:49:21(UTC)
Jim Thompson

Well,

I was doing all right with the suter-meggen pictures. I thought: "Here is an attractive set." Then I went to stummi-foren and was puzzled by the plugs and wires that stretch between the coaches on the tight curves???

Confession: I run Industrial curves as my main line radius wink No! Really, I do! Cool Short loks and short cars - No problem Smile Cool .

Howsomever, are those connectors/wires really as raw as the pictures show? [:0] I can agree with Armando on this, but more from an aesthetic standpoint - could they not cover them or something? I also see the trucks with skirts (did not M* do that on the Henschel-Wegmann also?). Scale or close-to-scale is going to be debated maybe forever (like Ford vs. Chevrolet / Audi vs. Mercedes / _ vs. _ ). An opportunity was missed here, most assuredly.

And Peace, I see that there are certain design considerations and constraints due to the close-coupling issue of the prototype cars - I wonder what model radius could possibly be used to not see the connectors (for interior lights and tail lights, I presume?) and wires.

Just my immediate thoughts and reactions, and maybe, as other threads have touched on, perhaps we and Mother M* are at a point where we need two lines - yes, hang on - Hobby and Top-line (or 'Gold-line', or what have you).

I will be happily buying 'Hobby' for my foreseeable lifetime Smile , and I think Armando should be able to buy the 'Gold Standard' [:p] , and I think M* should provide both. Economics will no doubt have a rather prominent decision factor for M*, so I am a-thinkin' one of us will be disappointed? [:(]

I shall close for now, and let others come into the fray -- these are the discussions that keep us all going and thinking and striving and having fun! Cool

Peace to all,

Jim
Offline jonquinn  
#11 Posted : 23 November 2007 16:40:26(UTC)
jonquinn

I would rather not see the false skirts for the trucks either, but I think it would need a pretty big radius without them - I don't know how big, maybe someone can figure that out. I'm guessing at least a 36" radius
Rivarossi is also making a similar set, but its plastic bodied. It also looks like the tackled this by having the side skirts end before the trucks to allow them to pivot.
Offline Guus  
#12 Posted : 23 November 2007 17:14:46(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Most of you will know that I'm always prepared to advocate Märklins products and defend them whenever someone utters a critical view on their part.

However this time I really can't defend M on their version of the Gottardo.

I'm really deeply disappointed!
I was eagerly awaiting delivery of my copy of the model,however after seeing pictures of the final product I was shocked to see how the model differs from the initial photos on the product flyers.
Luckily I could cancel my order without a problem.

Here's another link with pictures of the model: http://www.forum.hag-info.ch/vi....php?t=741&start=165
If you scroll down a bit you'll see pictures taken of the Gottardo in a not so "flattering" pose.

I'm sorry I can't report in a positive way on this one and I hope I don't spoil other forummembers enthusiasm for the Gottardo.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline rschaffr  
#13 Posted : 23 November 2007 17:21:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I can't believe that they couldn't have done better. I think expandable bellows between the cars would have been a solution, but alas...

I have also canceled my order. You know that the US HO community see Marklin as a toy manufacturer and not a serious model maker. This offering certainly did nothing to change that view.

I am very disappointed.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline pserup  
#14 Posted : 23 November 2007 17:53:41(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
That looks awful [:0] ...would expect much better at that price [xx(]
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline Kenneth_H  
#15 Posted : 23 November 2007 19:27:25(UTC)
Kenneth_H

Wow that looks amazingly awful, the roco pictures in the link look better
Regards,
Kenneth
Offline steventrain  
#16 Posted : 23 November 2007 19:36:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It is very awful.

Lucky I haven't order it.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Frostie  
#17 Posted : 23 November 2007 19:46:01(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Marklin has done much better - The 37605/6 Tee Trains are very fantastic. The couplers are very nce. So, I do nt undrstand why they did not adapt the same type of coupling technology to this item.

What you will see is come good price reductions on these sets on ebay withing a few years.

And I was going to purchase the "Grey Mouse" version.

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline alonso231gery  
#18 Posted : 23 November 2007 20:02:08(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
And i was thinking to buy it...
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 23 November 2007 20:15:24(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
<br />Hi MärCo:
Sorry, but I cannot possibly agree with you. There already is plenty of material to chose from that at the 1:87 scale can negotiate the small radius. Seen from the modeller's point of view, I think it is very disappointing that the exact proportions of a model be compromised just because it has to fit the tramway R1 radius.
Armando

It is the same with R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 R8 R9 etc
For anyone interested in doing the exact scale it should be difficult to go below 1500mm radius...
It means that 90% of enthusiasts have to give up their favorite hobby
I even don't talk about buildings , lanscape , trees ...and those 60 cm highed mountains biggrin biggrin
Offline jeehring  
#20 Posted : 23 November 2007 20:37:09(UTC)
jeehring

About the " concertina vestibule" of the RAe ( connexion between cars )
It is possible today to reproduce the exact shape of the real and so particular " external bellows" . I have some plans with new and well known material . Very simple and cheap to do . It can only be fitted on heavy metal cars which is the case with Marklin models of the RAe . Why they didn't make it ?
The ratio of elasticity could be from 1 to 6 , that's enough , I think
I didn't make any tests yet ( I have no RAe yet )But I would like to send the idea of design to Marklin technics department . How could I do, is there an address mail ?
Anyway , I'll try to make my own stuff . It will be just difficult for me to buy a small amount of the exact material
Offline Schienenbus  
#21 Posted : 23 November 2007 21:19:57(UTC)
Schienenbus

Hi jeehring,

I was thinking to buy the train - but not with those open connections. So I am looking forward to seeing your results - I am definitely interested!!! Good luck with your design....

Cheers,
Arthur
Offline bmcrae  
#22 Posted : 23 November 2007 21:34:17(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />Most of you will know that I'm always prepared to advocate Märklins products and defend them whenever someone utters a critical view on their part.

I was eagerly awaiting delivery of my copy of the model,however after seeing pictures of the final product I was shocked to see how the model differs from the initial photos on the product flyers.

Here's another link with pictures of the model: http://www.forum.hag-info.ch/vi....php?t=741&start=165
If you scroll down a bit you'll see pictures taken of the Gottardo in a not so "flattering" pose.

I'm sorry I can't report in a positive way on this one and I hope I don't spoil other forummembers enthusiasm for the Gottardo.

Kind regards
Guus

Sorry to hear friends about the disappointment. I did not consider getting this item originally. Now looking at my finances and making the consideration, I will look elsewhere as there are other Marklin/HAG loks that have my interest!

Armando's quote is best.......
"....what a missed opportunity to produce a world class model!"
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 23 November 2007 22:42:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Whoever designed those connections should be shot!

OK sacked then!

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline hxmiesa  
#24 Posted : 23 November 2007 23:22:16(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, the pics from Stummis certainly makes the model look awful, but I´d rather see it running through R9 swithes, and R4, R5... curves.
The solution Roco has used for their new RAm looks better; at least it covers up the "insides" of the technical connection.
If jeehring can make his connections work, the model should look quite good... (if it wasnt for the skirts over the bogies...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline rschaffr  
#25 Posted : 23 November 2007 23:27:44(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
True. This model will never look prototypical on the curves most of us have to have on our layouts, and I am OK with that most of the time as a trade off to to not having anything. However this horrible solution of exposing the innards on curves is to me totally unacceptable. There HAD to be a better way.
-Ron
Offline john black  
#26 Posted : 24 November 2007 01:06:58(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />However this time I really can't defend M on their version of the Gottardo.

Hi Guus - knowing me you also know my next words come without any cynicism Smile

Please remember when we saw the new Länderbahn, BR81, HWZ. M's "new breed" of locos ...
Those new (non-serviceable) motors, their odd transmissions, the cheap plastic parts ...

Alberto put it so well when stating they lost their soul. And when I dared to criticize this
transformation from classic heavy-metal Marklins to cheapo-plastic Roco/Bachmann toys -
Quote:
: "We can see the writing on the wall ..." - there were some members calling me
a traitor who won't stand by the company. With the Gottardo now we have another proof of
how some investment bankers with no idea of MRR abuse an old name just to make quick cash.

At the end of the day we have to confess that all our efforts here to make 'em see what's
wrong and what they destroy were for nothing (and we have tried a hundred times, at least).
The last of the classics (like the NOHAB and a very few left, still) will disappear, soon.
And in three years this once greatest brand of all will only be a shadow from the past ... [:(]

Sorry, Guus - but I give up.
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#27 Posted : 24 November 2007 01:31:27(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John: I haven't given up, yet, however I am sorely disappointed. The 39050 '05 is truly a stunning model and the SDS motor appears to have the quality and power for the future..only time will tell on reliability, though. The 39562 krok is also a showpiece on my layout, and last year's Insider VT08 is one of my regular runners. Keep in mind that the design for the Gottardo very well could have been unrecoverably fixed BEFORE the new owners took over. Just a few thoughts. I plan to wait to see what the new year brings, myself, however I no longer want this Gottardo entry. I was really looking forward to it, too. I guess that what make the taste of this episode so bitter.
-Ron
Offline xxup  
#28 Posted : 24 November 2007 01:42:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />Whoever designed those connections should be shot!

OK sacked then!

Ray

You were right the first time! [:(!]

I can't see those thin green circuit track materials lasting very long before they snap (perhaps our electronics engineers would like to comment?).. Why on earth could they have not used some discrete thin black wires??? [:0]

I think that these should all be recalled and upgraded to a better design.. [xx(]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline jonquinn  
#29 Posted : 24 November 2007 01:51:18(UTC)
jonquinn

I also think the gottardo design was begun long before the new management took over. after all, the new people had nothing to do with the Henschel Wegmann. Marklin previous management (Adams et al) started taking this company down the wrong tracks several years ago, trying to be too much to too many people.
Is it absolutely certain the photos on the stummi page are of an actual PRODUCTION gottardo, and not a prototype?
the bankers want to get this company on solid financial ground - when that happens, or is about to, they will sell it off.
Offline cjh26  
#30 Posted : 24 November 2007 03:24:42(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
This model design does not look good at all from pictures. This is a real disappointment. I had been looking forward to this model.
Carl
Offline jeehring  
#31 Posted : 24 November 2007 04:14:20(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />Most of you will know that I'm always prepared to advocate Märklins products and defend them whenever someone utters a critical view on their part.

Kind regards
Guus

Hi Guus
I think these photographies have been made in purpose .
With the intention - may be - of devalueing the product .Or to criticize it .
They are exclusively WAIST SHOTS , all taken in tight curves . Not even one on a straight line !! ( or so few )
The behaviour of the Gottardo on tight curves is not different from any of our trains with ordinary cars .
Only those waist shots are exeggerating the extend of space between two cars .
On a HO layout , we must have in mind that it concerns elements of 4 cm high and 3 cm width , excactly like any HO scaled trains .
I'm quite sure the same waist shots with similar photo-framing of our actual trains on similar curves will give same results .
On the pictures , the electrics connections look more enormous than they are in reality .
However , hiding the electric coupler should be nicer than letting them on sight .

Following the link mentionned above , if we scroll down , we can see the real RAe Gottardo with the real "concertina vestibul" ( this translation has been found on a dictionnary , it sounds strange to me . In French we call it " soufflet" like "bellows" ) with black color .It is very different from those of the NS/SBB RAm TEE or VT11.5 . I think it could be easy to make for a manufacturer like Marklin .
LIMA has done a model of " concertina vestibul" on their replica of RAe Gottardo . Those from the LIMA model are not so functionnal even not true nor very prototypical .
Marklin has done a good job with the VT 11.5 & SVT 137 , already .

About skirts : in any HO model of RAe Gottardo they are absolutely unavoidable .Unless the model is designed to roll on straight lines or very very very large curves . As for me I prefer the Marklin solution .On the LIMA model the removable skirts are ugly (IMHO).
Offline rschaffr  
#32 Posted : 24 November 2007 04:35:17(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Roland: i don't argue with the need for coach separation on tight curves as can be seen on virtually any close-coupled Marklin product. I can live with that and would still want the model in that case. My objection is to the exposed wiring and connectors. They should have concealed it somehow or run the electronics through the coupler.
-Ron
Offline jeehring  
#33 Posted : 24 November 2007 05:14:36(UTC)
jeehring

BTW
I believe the design of couplers allows the mounting of an extra piece of something to be clip on
So why they did it in vertical position just right on the middle of authorized field instead of installing it in the lower part ?
Only to be more comfortable in connecting it ?
Offline Guus  
#34 Posted : 24 November 2007 16:39:47(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Roland:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I think these photographies have been made in purpose .
With the intention - may be - of devalueing the product .Or to criticize it

I agree,especially regarding the tone in which the discussion has been conducted sofar at Stummmi,this may very well be the case.
But at least Märklin could have tried to apply the same soltion like on the VT 11.5,which is so much nicer IMHO.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:About skirts : in any HO model of RAe Gottardo they are absolutely unavoidable .Unless the model is designed to roll on straight lines or very very very large curves . As for me I prefer the Marklin solution .On the LIMA model the removable skirts are ugly (IMHO)

For me it's the skirts I dislike most.I'm sure your solution with concertina vestibule is a nice one.
Maybe some firms or even Märklin will eventually provide a set of these as an add on.But the skirts on the bogies will always remain visible and maybe only acceptable with the train in a showcase.

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline jeehring  
#35 Posted : 24 November 2007 16:54:20(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />originally posted by Roland:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I think these photographies have been made in purpose .
With the intention - may be - of devalueing the product .Or to criticize it

I agree,especially regarding the tone in which the discussion has been conducted sofar at Stummmi,this may very well be the case.
But at least Märklin could have tried to apply the same soltion like on the VT 11.5,which is so much nicer IMHO.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:About skirts : in any HO model of RAe Gottardo they are absolutely unavoidable .Unless the model is designed to roll on straight lines or very very very large curves . As for me I prefer the Marklin solution .On the LIMA model the removable skirts are ugly (IMHO)

For me it's the skirts I dislike most.I'm sure your solution with concertina vestibule is a nice one.
Maybe some firms or even Märklin will eventually provide a set of these as an add on.But the skirts on the bogies will always remain visible and maybe only acceptable with the train in a showcase.

Kind regards
Guus

I agree about the VT 11 , the concertina vestibul is well done Really nice and working well .
About the Gottardo I can't believe there will not be something at least to hide the green cable

Unfortunately to have prototypical shape in HO , skirts are absolutely unavoidable for any manufacturer who intent to reproduce the GOTTARDO .
Lima has choosen the concept of " removable skirts" , the problem is : when mounted , they are not well adjusted . On the Marklin model they look much more precisely adjusted .

Too much bad faith on Stummi forum .
On the only picture showing a comparison with other items , they choose 2 short wagons beside the Gottardo , they didn't make any comparison with long passenger cars on same tight curves
Offline jeehring  
#36 Posted : 24 November 2007 17:36:50(UTC)
jeehring

BTW
anybody to give an adress mail or FAX number to join technical department at Marklin Goppingen ? Thank you
Offline Larry  
#37 Posted : 24 November 2007 17:58:20(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Uum...so guess I'm glad I opted out of the Gottardo with the circumsized cab car and the exposed wires. This would be a real disappointment from the excellent designa and styling I would have expected from owning a VT 11.5.
Offline supermoee  
#38 Posted : 26 November 2007 11:18:34(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Dear all,

please remember that on the VT11.5 it was possible to do the concertina vestibul like it is because of the short cars.

With long cars like on the Gottardo such a solution is not possible.
That's the same reason ehy the VT08 has a similar solution like the Gottardo.
The good point of the VT08 is, that the connector is completely black and on the bottom of the cars, not so evident to see in curves.

kind regards

Stephan
Offline Guus  
#39 Posted : 26 November 2007 11:31:42(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Roland:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Unfortunately to have prototypical shape in HO , skirts are absolutely unavoidable for any manufacturer who intent to reproduce the GOTTARDO .
Lima has choosen the concept of " removable skirts" , the problem is : when mounted , they are not well adjusted . On the Marklin model they look much more precisely adjusted .

Too much bad faith on Stummi forum .
On the only picture showing a comparison with other items , they choose 2 short wagons beside the Gottardo , they didn't make any comparison with long passenger cars on same tight curves

Roland ,I really wish I could have commented otherwise on the 39540.Being a true Märklin enthusiast I preordered this loc trusting this would be a great model like so many models have been recently.
But at the high list price of 699 Euros or 1000 dollars I expect something more convincing.I wouldn't have problem if Märklin had abandoned the R1 curve handling requirement on this model if that's what's needed to make it look more realistic!

I've never complained about Märklins models sofar and I think they make great models of which we've seen some really good examples recently.Their philosophy of mfx,the new SDS motor and the nicely detailed steamers for example have convinced me that they're moving in the right direction and I remain a dedicated enthusiast of Ms products!

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline rschaffr  
#40 Posted : 26 November 2007 15:52:08(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I was running my VT08 over the weekend, and I still can't understand why Marklin chose a different solution for the Gottardo. The coach separation on curves is every bit as exaggerated on the VT08, but it does not show it's innards the way the Gottardo does. I realize that for tight curves close coupled cars MUST separate like that and I can live with that. I cannot accept, however, the need to overemphasize this the way the Gottardo does.
-Ron
Offline kurtjr  
#41 Posted : 26 November 2007 16:42:17(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
I will test the Rae tonight. It doesn't look promising but i still hope it doesn't look as bad as those pictures i've seen. Will let you know and post my own pictures of the R1 corners and cross switches.

It's a lot of money for a flop, so i hope its not going to be one.
All SBB's, SNCF and US/CDN model's.
Offline cjh26  
#42 Posted : 26 November 2007 17:30:15(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Thanks looking forward to your results. I hope
it works out well

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kurtjr
<br />I will test the Rae tonight. It doesn't look promising but i still hope it doesn't look as bad as those pictures i've seen. Will let you know and post my own pictures of the R1 corners and cross switches.

It's a lot of money for a flop, so i hope its not going to be one.
Carl
Offline Munich 1860  
#43 Posted : 26 November 2007 17:48:57(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I was running my VT08 over the weekend, and I still can't understand why Marklin chose a different solution for the Gottardo. The coach separation on curves is every bit as exaggerated on the VT08, but it does not show it's innards the way the Gottardo does. I realize that for tight curves close coupled cars MUST separate like that and I can live with that. I cannot accept, however, the need to overemphasize this the way the Gottardo does.
Ron,

not wanting to defend them I can still explain this. It is because the cars are much shorter with the VT 08, prototypically speaking. So whatever the solution would not look good with the Gottardo.

Many regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline kurtjr  
#44 Posted : 27 November 2007 00:22:18(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
After a first set of trial runs i can conclude the following:

Positive points
1) it runs on any radius. The small R1 as well, no derailments and no issues. (unlike the Ram TEE which occasionally jumped the track because of the lighter cars "marklin 39700")
2) it is really heavy! so no crap plastic bodies.
3) the motor has great running characteristics, exactly like the 8/14.
4) the lighting is ok. Actually i even think they did a good job on it. The hallway lights in the motor car are nice.
5) The length of the cars are 26cm vs. the Ram TEE which is 22cm.
6) the space between the cars is less than the Ram TEE. It's 1.02cm between car bodies and 3mm between the black bits. Don't think you can get any closer...
7) the couplers are also the connectors. so no wires to connect and cars to couple.
8) Detailing is excellent! paintjob is good too! Except for the antennas.

The negatives:
1) Now the pictures you have seen are correct about the connector being visible in a tight corner. The Roco rubber solution would definitely look better i agree. With the Ram TEE i also occasionally had part of the wire sticking out too which i found annoying. You have the same problem with normal marklin 26cm passenger cars except that you don't have the connector in between.
2)Going up the hill can become difficult for the two motors, as the train is really heavy. But it manages without any manual assistance which is ok.
3)The wheels...yep, i'm not a fan of this system but i can see it not being mechanically possible not to do it this way on any normal layout.
4)The antennas

My Verdict:

Although its got some stuff which i don't like, in particular the wheels and the connectors being visible in tight corners, i think it looks fine. It certainly looks good stopped in a station and it runs well.

If you are true to detail and you can't oversee the compromises that were done to make it user friendly on any Marklin layout, then this is not the train for you.

If you enjoy having a TEE running on your layout then this one is actually ok. Is it worth 900+ Swissies? maybe not, but i can see where the money went, its been melted into the car body.
Wink wink

Its already growing on me, i'm starting to like it slowly especially running it next to my Ram TEE. It reminds me of some CD's i recently bought which had bad press reviews before they were released...They sound great!

I think people should test it before they make decisions based on website pictures. Again just my opinion!

Pic's to follow with the Ram TEE together.

wink
Offline kurtjr  
#45 Posted : 27 November 2007 00:47:27(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78457772@N00/2066403637/in/photostream/

yup...it does look pretty rough on an R1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78457772@N00/2066404349/in/photostream/

Here is the RAM TEE on an R2. Look familiar?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78457772@N00/2066404693/in/photostream/

The wheels are also out but it looks better on the RAM TEE.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78457772@N00/2067204146/in/photostream/

They do look good side by side...
Offline Guus  
#46 Posted : 27 November 2007 18:18:03(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Kurt,

Thank you very much for the detailed report and the photos of the 39540.

Off topic:I had a quick look on your homepage.Magnificent Ferrari [:p]

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#47 Posted : 27 November 2007 20:06:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi kurt! Where did you get your "Cargo" Ae 6/6? I would love to buy one myself!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jeehring  
#48 Posted : 27 November 2007 21:17:44(UTC)
jeehring

I'm really impatient to see it closely .
A friend of mine told me it is so nicely detailed , specially the roof of the motor car , also the qualiy of paint .
I will not dive into the photographic campaign against this model , I want to see it before . All those pictures uniquely taken as waist shots on connections between cars while the train is on tight curves , look like political campaigns before presidential elections biggrinbiggrin!
Not even one pictures in full size on straight track or into a station , strange isn't it ?
Remember the big boy . What should have been customer's comments if we had dozens & dozens of pictures showing the Big-Boy on R1 or R2 curves at the moment of its availability ?
As days are going by ,the more I see this flood of pictures the more I suspect unfair & childish manipulations .
As an other manufacturer planned to produce the Gottardo in the years 2008 / 2009 , I believe there is something like competition..[}:)] [}:)].[}:)]
Offline bmcrae  
#49 Posted : 27 November 2007 21:18:05(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 5HorizonsRR
<br />Hi kurt! Where did you get your "Cargo" Ae 6/6? I would love to buy one myself!

Not sure if any swiss dealers still stock the 37363 'Erstfeld'. Here is an ebay link though....

http://search.ebay.ch/se...trypage=search&fgtp=

I have one and like it a lot!! SmileSmile

added: I see the pricing is near equal to the HAG variant of the 'Erstfeld' (info from Zuba-Tech auction on ebay). I also noticed the troublesome UIC connectors do not exist on the HAG version.

Also John, you should be made aware of the following topics regarding this beautiful lok.....

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=7875

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8446
Offline mike c  
#50 Posted : 28 November 2007 06:44:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring

Hi Guus
I think these photographies have been made in purpose .
With the intention - may be - of devalueing the product .Or to criticize it .
They are exclusively WAIST SHOTS , all taken in tight curves . Not even one on a straight line !! ( or so few )
The behaviour of the Gottardo on tight curves is not different from any of our trains with ordinary cars .
Only those waist shots are exeggerating the extend of space between two cars .
On a HO layout , we must have in mind that it concerns elements of 4 cm high and 3 cm width , excactly like any HO scaled trains .
I'm quite sure the same waist shots with similar photo-framing of our actual trains on similar curves will give same results .
On the pictures , the electrics connections look more enormous than they are in reality .
However , hiding the electric coupler should be nicer than letting them on sight .

Following the link mentionned above , if we scroll down , we can see the real RAe Gottardo with the real "concertina vestibul" ( this translation has been found on a dictionnary , it sounds strange to me . In French we call it " soufflet" like "bellows" ) with black color .It is very different from those of the NS/SBB RAm TEE or VT11.5 . I think it could be easy to make for a manufacturer like Marklin .
LIMA has done a model of " concertina vestibul" on their replica of RAe Gottardo . Those from the LIMA model are not so functionnal even not true nor very prototypical .
Marklin has done a good job with the VT 11.5 & SVT 137 , already .

About skirts : in any HO model of RAe Gottardo they are absolutely unavoidable .Unless the model is designed to roll on straight lines or very very very large curves . As for me I prefer the Marklin solution .On the LIMA model the removable skirts are ugly (IMHO).

The photos were taken by modellers like you or I. The first ones came from the SuisseToy Exhibition in Bern, and once the model was released in Switzerland, more photos were posted by either individuals who bought the trainset, or who observed it on club layouts or on friend's trackage.

I placed my pre-order for this model on January 3, 2007, the day I first heard about the model. I was so excited that Maerklin was finally making this model and that it was to be made of metal (like the 37605 VT 602).

I have previously owned both the Metropolitan (4Assi) 7200 and the Lima models of this train. I would have kept the Metrop train, but I run 3 rail AC and it was 2 rail DC. The Lima model was AC, but it did not see much use on the layout and was sold earlier this year.

The day of the SuisseToy show, I was so eager to see the first photos that would be posted. I was disappointed right away to see the design of the interconnecting baffles between the coaches. Additionally, the design of the coach bodies adjacent to the bogies was a shock.

The photos in the New Items Brochure and in subsequent photos released by Maerklin (www.maerklin.de under screensavers) did not show this feature.

So, are we as modellers bound to accept a model that is significantly different from what was advertised?

It seems to me that Maerklin's technical department set out to develop a model to overcome the problems with the older Lima model. The two best known problems with that model were the interconnecting gangways between the coaches and the removable body part adjacent to the bogies. The Engineers were likely told to make the model work without having to remove sections of the coach body. Their decision process was thereby influenced by that, rather than by designing a model based on diagrams and plans of the actual model and coming up with an original solution to the challenges.

As far as the bogies are concerned, the simplest solution would have been to modify the bogies rather than to modify the coach shells. Seriously, how did anybody at Maerklin think that modellers would rather have prototypical bogies than a prototypical housing?
This could have been easily done, by designing the bogies so that only the parts extending beyond the coach shell would be to scale, and that the hidden parts would be smaller, allowing the bogies to rotate without hitting the housing. The footstep beneath the doors could have been attached to the bogie, similar to the Roco EWII Coaches.

As far as the interconnecting baffles, there may have been some design challenges, due to the relative lack of space between the bogies and the ends of the coaches, but Maerklin clearly could have come up with a better design to avoid the glaring sight of the coupler/connector in curves. This is plain poor design work when compared to the VT 602 and other recent models by Roco and RailTop.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Take the Liliput EWI Coaches. These coaches were very clearly modelled on the earlier Lima coaches. Hag had licensed and bought coach shells from Lima in the 1990s,so their use was ok.

Liliput's redesigned EWIII (Swiss Express) coaches clearly incorporated features that were developed by HUI for their kitbash models of the earlier Liliput productions.

I still have my 39540 on order. I have not decided whether to proceed or not. I was already going to order the coming RailTop model, especially as it is to be designed as a model that can run on either AC or DC layouts. There is also the re-edition of the old Lima model under the Rivarossi banner. They plan to have interior lighting and improved motorization. I don't know whether the new version will still have the problematic interconnecting baffles and removable parts adjacent to the bogies.

One issue that many will base their purchase on is whether Maerklin's model looks better than the Lima (Rivarossi) model with the pieces removed. I know that when I ran my Lima train, it was without the side panels and the baffle pieces.

I just want to make it clear that this is not a case of a malicious attempt to devalue this item. It is a case of serious modellers who are very disappointed with the model and would rather see it recalled, reworked and rereleased with improvements at a later time. There have been rumors that Trix may have cancelled their model. It currently is listed as scheduled for the first quarter of 2008. It is interesting to note that Trix has declared that it will be developing it's own models for 2008, a process that started this year with the OBB 1012 and SBB RAm, and will continue with the ICE I and Traxx 146.2/185.2/482 and similar models for 2008.

We will see what happens in the next few months.

BTW, so far, the only 39540 listed on either ebay.ch or ricardo.ch remain unsold or without bids (as of 6PM EST today). Not a good sign for this model that is supposedly out of stock at the factory.

Regards

Mike C

@ Bmcrae - Re: Ae 6/6 Cargo

The Ae 6/6 Cargo is available through Swiss dealers. Check zuba-tech.ch, modellbahn-shop.ch, suter-meggen.ch or roundhouse.ch or any of the dealers (Haendler) listed at www.maerklin.ch