Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shannon  
#101 Posted : 22 January 2008 18:02:49(UTC)
shannon

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br /><br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Unholz
... you can even see through the car as well as the windows on the other side of the car.

That's why I posted that picture (on purpose) - because it should be well known that not behind all of these were/are washing rooms. Smile

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:You are suggesting the presence of a "totally transparent washroom", and I don't think that such an invention is provided on any Swiss TEE...biggrinbiggrin

Well - since some of the rooms were also reserved/dedicated for Ladies to refresh their make-up - why should this be hidden? (they just needed a big mirror!) biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

But I want to be fair (as usual) - here's the car (at left of the motor car) with washing room and corresponding "white" windows. IMHO here it's also very clearly visible - at least on my quite larger original picture - what you mentioned before: that the outer windows are not just painted white (important to remember when enhancing the model).

UserPostedImage

does anyone know why this car with pantograph configures 3 axles bogie?
thanks in advance

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 20:26:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline shannon  
#102 Posted : 23 January 2008 07:26:12(UTC)
shannon

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by shannon
does anyone know why this car with pantograph configures 3 axles bogie?
thanks in advance

It's the (quite heavy) motor car. wink

is it not a powered seperate railcar?
Offline mike c  
#103 Posted : 23 January 2008 08:46:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:

BTW: When are you going to complain about this vertical pole in the middle of the cars? Cool

I had just assumed that each coach had a stripper pole in it. You know, just in case Paris Hilton and Britney decided to take a ride.biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I guess back then it would have been Sofia Loren and Zsa Zsa Gabor

Regards

Mike C
Offline xxxxdown  
#104 Posted : 24 January 2008 13:15:22(UTC)
xxxxdown

I am just a new member here but have been lurking for some many months. I have gained some very useful information and hav ehad some laughs but there is some tension here between some members. I notice that a member Lutz sounds and acts like a Marklin employee. there is nothing wrong about Marklin according to him.
I think that he is very wrong there. Marklin make some big mistakes and tend to ignore there most prolific customers.
He can give some nice information but often he gets the Sh*ts with some people and gets very Sarcastic. Sound like a Hun with a Pole up his ass. get rid of that pole and you may be a very nice member.
xxxxDown
I Love Marklin
Offline steventrain  
#105 Posted : 24 January 2008 19:44:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, xxxxdown.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline xxxxdown  
#106 Posted : 24 January 2008 23:10:31(UTC)
xxxxdown

THank you very much for the welcome.
I Love Marklin
Offline john black  
#107 Posted : 25 January 2008 00:43:50(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxxxdown
<br />M make some big mistakes and tend to ignore their most prolific customers

True words, Smout biggrin[}:)] ... And welcome to the club Smile
BTW, Kyrgyzstan sounds cool. Guess you're our only active member there -
like my old friend David of Scotland Cool

(just hope I got your first name right)

John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#108 Posted : 25 January 2008 01:03:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
John. I have not heard of this country but the guy sure sounds like a real live wire. I think we now have another two Scottish members so our new friend is without doubt on his own.
Have you seen anything in the new items list that you fancy buying this year. I quite like the Br 64 and will wait to see how others find it then maybe place an order.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#109 Posted : 25 January 2008 01:14:55(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />John. I have not heard of this country but the guy sure sounds like a real live wire.
I think we now have another two Scottish members so our new friend is without doubt on his own.

David, just northwest of China https://cia.gov/library/...ld-factbook/geos/kg.html

Let's guess this lady (according to her profile) is never alone, here Cool
BTW - the part of Kyrgan is Connor McLeod's greatest enemy in The Highlander movie biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

As for new items - I'll get that NOHAB combo. Of course ... Cool

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline xxxxdown  
#110 Posted : 25 January 2008 09:10:25(UTC)
xxxxdown

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
<br />John. I have not heard of this country but the guy sure sounds like a real live wire.
I think we now have another two Scottish members so our new friend is without doubt on his own.

David, just northwest of China https://cia.gov/library/...ld-factbook/geos/kg.html

Let's guess this lady (according to her profile) is never alone, here Cool
BTW - the part of Kyrgan is Connor McLeod's greatest enemy in The Highlander movie biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

As for new items - I'll get that NOHAB combo. Of course ... Cool

Oh I make big mistake in making my profile , I live in Kazakhstan in the main city Astana. my partner is a oil expert and works for Government. he was born here but had English father we have no models but enjoy looking at books and on internet. one day soon we hope we can begin collecting and make a railway.
I Love Marklin
Offline john black  
#111 Posted : 25 January 2008 10:33:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
No problem - we like Kazakhstan the very same Smile
Well ... the more you read and see here the sooner you & your partner will build a layout biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline David Dewar  
#112 Posted : 25 January 2008 13:53:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
ooops Apologies I failed to realise we had a new lady member. Why not get your husband to join us as well and with our help you can start on a layout. Do you have any Model Railway dealers where you are.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#113 Posted : 01 February 2008 04:11:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hey Guys:

I just got my AC RailTop RAm TEE Edelweiss. WOW!!! It looks magnificent. It runs extremely smoothly, has white LEDs and no movable skirting. It can run on radii as narrow as 358mm and it is exact 1:87

...and all of this for about half the list price of the Maerklin RAe Gottardo.

I don't know how many of these models exist, because there have been some production delays, but I would recommend this model to anybody who wants a top notch TEE Train.

More details about this train at www.railtop.ch. At the present moment, some dealers have this model in DC in stock. I have seen the LSM model of the Dutch DE 1001/1003 in AC at a few dealers. Contact me here if you want dealer names.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#114 Posted : 01 February 2008 10:13:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

I just posted some photos of the RailTop RAm (AC)

http://hag-info.ch/hag/forum/ph...ad9597d55628206ee2#20615

You can see how the model looks on the tracks from the 29859 starter set, as well as the design of the interconnecting gangways and the ground and third rail contacts.

Please note: 1:87 with minimal overhang and connecting gangways and NO movable skirts.

This is what Maerklin could have attained with a little better R & D.

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#115 Posted : 01 February 2008 13:23:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
This looks much better and at least a bit of thought has gone into the design work. Some paint work would dull down the plastic look of the corridors.
Thanks for the info Mike.

David
Offline alonso231gery  
#116 Posted : 01 February 2008 14:03:14(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
I expect a new Gottardo in another livery (i believe i saw one at a magazine) and i hope these problems will be solved cause it is a very nice model.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline jeehring  
#117 Posted : 01 February 2008 15:28:38(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />Hello,

I just posted some photos of the RailTop RAm (AC)

http://hag-info.ch/hag/forum/ph...ad9597d55628206ee2#20615

You can see how the model looks on the tracks from the 29859 starter set, as well as the design of the interconnecting gangways and the ground and third rail contacts.

Please note: 1:87 with minimal overhang and connecting gangways and NO movable skirts.

This is what Maerklin could have attained with a little better R & D.

Regards

Mike C

Let's be serious please !
Ram is not a Rae Gottardo and has different body and has different gangway !! THe lower part of the body is different from a train to another .
About the gangway : would you like similar model of gangway on the Gottardo ? biggrinI can't believe it !
Those gangways are not suitable for Gottardo . Look at the pictures shown above !
Offline mike c  
#118 Posted : 02 February 2008 05:20:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring

Let's be serious please !
Ram is not a Rae Gottardo and has different body and has different gangway !! THe lower part of the body is different from a train to another .
About the gangway : would you like similar model of gangway on the Gottardo ? biggrinI can't believe it !
Those gangways are not suitable for Gottardo . Look at the pictures shown above !

Where do I begin?

The pictures that I posted on the Hag German Group show the RailTop RAm on Maerklin C1 Radius track. I posted some new ones today on C3, where the train looks much better.

The fact that the RAm can run on R1 without movable skirts and with a working design for a gangway design is impressive, even if the baffles look a little hyperextended.

Are you seriously going to tell me that this looks worse than Maerklin's gaping hole with the green connector?

RailTop did exactly what I was expecting from Maerklin, the bogies were designed to turn without contacting the coach body, and the baffles were designed to look ok on radius 1 and look good on wider radii.

I am still hoping for a RailTop model of the RAe as well. I hope that they will be able to get back on track soon. Right now, my RAm is one of maybe ten in the world and it is a gem.

Don't get me wrong, I have the Maerklin RAe. I love the fact that it is a metal model. Have you noticed that not ONE unit has sold for over the price without VAT on eBay??????? That does not bode well for a model that could and should have been able to get a higher price out of the starting gate than a 37343 Re 4/4II TEE.

I actually like Maerklin's model better than the Lima one that I used to have. The design of the skirts is a little better than Lima's and the Lima baffles were problematic as well. But, the Maerklin model could have been SO much better.

F*&king up the little things has become a Maerklin symbol. For example, the incorrect windows on the SBB Baggage car, the doors on the first batch of Lightsteel coaches, the footstep on the Re 4/4I, etc. If each of these little things would have been better designed, the models would have been so much nicer. Don't even get me started on the brittle C-Track.

The RAm is my first RailTop Lok, and I like what I see.

I am not saying you have to buy one, 'cause you can't right now, but don't try to tell me that the Maerklin baffles are more suitable than the RailTop ones.

Je ne sais pas c'est quoi que tu fumes, mais je pense que c'est le temps d'arreter.

Oh, BTW check out the photos of the model on R3!Smile

Respectfully yours,

Mike C

Offline Boucicault  
#119 Posted : 07 February 2008 02:44:16(UTC)
Boucicault

Hello, can any of the 39540 owners tell me what number has the
marklin Gottardo?

There where 5 trains numbered RAe 1051 to 1055

So our modell is 105X?

Thanks
David
David from Spain, Marklin, Brawa, continental Europe all epoches
Offline mike c  
#120 Posted : 07 February 2008 03:31:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Boucicault
<br />Hello, can any of the 39540 owners tell me what number has the
marklin Gottardo?

There where 5 trains numbered RAe 1051 to 1055

So our modell is 105X?

Thanks
David

Hello David,

the 39540 trainset is the RAe 1051.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Boucicault  
#121 Posted : 07 February 2008 22:01:42(UTC)
Boucicault

Thanks a lot.
David from Spain, Marklin, Brawa, continental Europe all epoches
Offline Larry  
#122 Posted : 08 February 2008 07:33:35(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Can anyone tell me if this set, Maerklin 39540, has engine/electric operating sounds?

I realize it has sounds but not clear from Maerklin information if these are the sounds of the engine or only the whistle and the station sounds.

Does anyone know if the table lamps light up?

What's the story Lutz and others??? I know many of you could care less about non-steam operating sounds but this is high on my list even if electric.

Despite all the hate mail about this model I think the cars while not scale look pretty good and if it has sound and the table lamps light up I might acquire one.

They are currently selling in Germany for a best price of around 499 E and here the price varies. Doesn't appear the price took a huge nosedive due to the wires and space between cars.

THANKS!
Offline Larry  
#123 Posted : 09 February 2008 22:40:14(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Well, Larry, since you bought the 39540 you know that it does not have operating sounds nor do the table lamps light up. The lamps in the Senator are supposed to be lighted.

Good luck with your new TEE.
Offline mike c  
#124 Posted : 10 February 2008 05:03:55(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Doesn't appear the price took a huge nosedive due to the wires and the space between the cars.

The average price that this unit lists on eBay is about EUR 490,-, which coincidentally is the lowest retail price announced with the VAT removed. The list price for this unit was supposed to be EUR 699,-.

In Switzerland, the average retail price is SFr 999.-. There are no discounts available from full price from Swiss dealers. Best deal you can get here is a 7% reduction for the VAT.

In USA, the price has gone from earlier listings of $899 to $949 to about $799 to $849.

I have yet to see one set sell on eBay for anything close to original retail price.

Don't get me wrong, I like this unit and bought one, but I am so frustrated that Maerklin could not have taken the time to get it right and make this a model to rival the VT11.5. The metal finish is excellent, but they failed in designing a few small details.

Look closely at the Roco and RailTop/LSM RAm trains to see how they designed the bogies so that they could pivot without hitting the car frame. Look at the VT11.5 to see what the interconnecting gangways should have looked like.

For the price that they charged for this one, they could have done a little better engineering job.

This model has only a whistle and a station announcement. There are no motor noises and it once again uses a mfx decoder with a separate sound module and not a mfx loksound that can be modified.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Larry  
#125 Posted : 10 February 2008 11:31:00(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Lutz, thanks for the advice. If it does not require you much research what decoder would I order and would it easy to put it in myself?

Mike C - Just fyi, the price I got because of the issues you mentioned was 750 USD - I guess dealers have these and given the hype over the wires they are getting discounted.

I'd agree with Lutz and others that wrote had they put in light brown covers like the prototypes between carriages it would have looked hideous. Your eyes would have been drawn to these. One option is to run it in the direction where the black shows instead of the green etc.
Offline Unholz  
#126 Posted : 10 February 2008 17:31:35(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
A member of the Swiss HAG forum (where this model was discussed in a controversial manner too) has attempted the following solution visible in his pictures:

http://hag-info.ch/hag/f...wtopic.php?p=20854#20854
Offline mmervine  
#127 Posted : 10 February 2008 17:35:05(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Big improvement, but can he still uncouple the cars?
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Armando  
#128 Posted : 10 February 2008 18:26:19(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
<br />A member of the Swiss HAG forum (where this model was discussed in a controversial manner too) has attempted the following solution visible in his pictures:

Hahahaha,

I loved this comment by another member of the HAG forum:

"...Sehr gut gelungen, so sieht es schon richtig gut aus. Schicke doch einmal der Märklin Entwicklungsabteilung ein Foto..."

I hope that the author indeed sends this picture to the Märklin factory so that they wake up and smell the coffee.

In the meantime, I received my Gottardo piece of junk from my dealer. It's still in its box; I haven't had the courage to take it out and test it on R5 or R9 yet. Hopefully, it will look a bit decent on R5. However, depending on the results, this piece of garbage will have to be put on sale. Anyone interested?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline 60904  
#129 Posted : 10 February 2008 20:26:46(UTC)

Germany   
this piece of garbage will have to be put on sale.

Hi, you may call it whatever you like. It is not a piece of garbage. Put it on the track. Let it run and enjoy it. The work a member of the HAG forum has done can be easily done by anyone. It should have been done in the factory, I fully agree.

Of course you are able to seperate the coaches. wink
Greetings
Martin
Offline Schienenbus  
#130 Posted : 11 February 2008 00:10:59(UTC)
Schienenbus

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
[br
However, depending on the results, this piece of garbage will have to be put on sale. Anyone interested?

Armando,

I wrote already a several weeks ago I'll take it. Since you dislike it so much, $350 should be fine.

Regards,
Arthur
Offline laalves  
#131 Posted : 11 February 2008 01:26:08(UTC)
laalves

Ah, and I'll gladly help you out of your misery for US$375!
Offline jeehring  
#132 Posted : 11 February 2008 01:51:35(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />A member of the Swiss HAG forum (where this model was discussed in a controversial manner too) has attempted the following solution visible in his pictures:

I don't like it but the approach is a little bit more prototypical than installing plastic gangways like those of the RAm .
Imagine Marklin installing a piece of wool like this biggrin
There is much better to do...( so much better )
Offline Armando  
#133 Posted : 11 February 2008 15:03:41(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Schienenbus
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
[br
However, depending on the results, this piece of garbage will have to be put on sale. Anyone interested?

Armando,

I wrote already a several weeks ago I'll take it. Since you dislike it so much, $350 should be fine.

Regards,
Arthur

Arthur,

As I wrote, depending on the results of the tests that I am going to do with this model on R5, I'll decide whether to keep it or to put it up for sale. I want to check how bad the connectors look and how obvious the skirts ride up. It was already a big compromise for me to know that this model had been chopped off so that it could negotiate the streetcar curves. In any case, I paid 800 Canadian dollars for this piece of lousy engineering on pre-order.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline mike c  
#134 Posted : 13 February 2008 08:34:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
<br />Let's put it this way:

If the model would have been developed according to Mike's or Armando's "R200" specs it would not have been produced because of potentially too low customers demand - due to being unable to use it, especially on our beloved R1! Cool

So, let's just drop the curtains down on this story. biggrin

How did I get dragged back into this issue????
My point was purely that Maerklin could have done a much better job on the design of this unit. I never said it had to be 1:87 or should be limited to Radius 4 and 5.
I would like to hear a Maerklin design engineer defend the model at a seminar, to justify why they chose those solutions over other (potentially better) ones.

That does not mean I do not love my model. It just means that it is not the "model to end all models" that it could have been.

I would have to rate it an RA-e or a RB+e

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#135 Posted : 13 February 2008 13:57:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Mike. Design now of toy trains is done for profit which is why if you want something that looks as it should it is best to see it first.
Main thing is you enjoy your model so you are happy. For the same reasons you do not think it is a fantastc model Armando does not like it at all and wishes he had not wasted his cash. From my view I would not buy anything with a printed circuit board joining the coaches so I am happy I dont have it.
It is just three different points of view on the same model which is why this forum is as good as it is.

David
Offline Armando  
#136 Posted : 13 February 2008 20:15:17(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />Let's put it this way:

If the model would have been developed according to Mike's or Armando's "R200" specs it would not have been produced because of potentially too low customers demand - due to being unable to use it, especially on our beloved R1! Cool

So, let's just drop the curtains down on this story. biggrin
Lutz and others,

How can you be sure of that? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

How many R1-users have purchased this model, compared to those who use other radii? Even die-hard R1-users have most of the time a parallel R2 circuit on their layouts. It would be interesting to find out, if Märklin keeps any statistics on their products.

And are 800 Canadian dollars on pre-order a much too "low" price according to you? I would have expected a perfect item for that price (full scale length, no visible connectors, no movable skirts).
Logically, a much better engineered model should increase sales more than a poorly engineered one.

Let's see what nasty surprises the Senator holds in store for us!

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline john black  
#137 Posted : 13 February 2008 21:00:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />From my view I would not buy anything with a printed circuit board joining the coaches

... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline cjh26  
#138 Posted : 20 February 2008 14:20:52(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Received my Gottardo last week. I noticed the writing on the side of one of the head cars is a bit faded. Is this something that can be fixed easily? Model was was made in Hungary was the entire run produced there?
Carl
Offline AshleyH  
#139 Posted : 20 February 2008 14:57:59(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
I think if you have some faded writing it has probably rubbed on the packaging during transit. The only likely solution would be to return that particular body shell under warranty I would think.

Just out of interest, how can you tell where your unit is made? I received mine a month agao, but cannot see any country of origin on the train or the box. If you let me know I will look at mine and let you know.

I was under the impression that these models were made in Goppingen, but of course that is the impression that Marklin wishes to create. So Hungary would not surprise me at all.

Ashley
Offline jeehring  
#140 Posted : 20 February 2008 16:44:36(UTC)
jeehring

As you know , there are two Marklin plants . Two Marklin Factories in Europe . They were three untill last year : two in Germany ( Goppingen & Sonneberg )and one in Hungary ( Gyor ) not so far from Goppingen , near German border . + TRix factory in Nuremberg ...some models have been also produced at Nuremberg sometimes..Today all has been concentrated in Goppingen and Gyor ( Hungary ). Sonneberg has been closed . So PA 1 model may come from Germany or Hungary . The main is that it comes from a Marklin Factory not from an outsourced subcontractor....Many other models come from Marklin hungarian factory , they are doing pretty good job ( I just think about the 230F steamer ....)On some fairs there were a special stand from Marklin-Gyor showing products that they have been making..
The Hungarian people is quite "technical minded" , In Hungary you find such a strong tradition of engineering ...( excuse my poor English ). They were just unlucky to live in a communist system during 45 years...( which is another subject ) ...
Offline rschaffr  
#141 Posted : 20 February 2008 16:55:42(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Roland: Thanks for the analysis. I have no problem with a Marklin run factory in Hungary. As to your English, no apologies needed...it is excellent. (A lot better than my non-existent French or almost adequate German) Smile

I am constantly impressed by the language skills of most Europeans. I recall flying from Frankfurt to Venice one time, and the Italian sitting next to me was carrying on a conversation with me in English and a conversation with the man across the aisle in German. Very impressive.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Larry  
#142 Posted : 21 February 2008 01:59:39(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I bought one last week and think it is great despite the one side having green connectors.
Offline mike c  
#143 Posted : 21 February 2008 05:03:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jeehring
<br />As you know , there are two Marklin plants . Two Marklin Factories in Europe . They were three untill last year : two in Germany ( Goppingen & Sonneberg )and one in Hungary ( Gyor ) not so far from Goppingen , near German border . + TRix factory in Nuremberg ...some models have been also produced at Nuremberg sometimes..Today all has been concentrated in Goppingen and Gyor ( Hungary ). Sonneberg has been closed . So PA 1 model may come from Germany or Hungary . The main is that it comes from a Marklin Factory not from an outsourced subcontractor....Many other models come from Marklin hungarian factory , they are doing pretty good job ( I just think about the 230F steamer ....)On some fairs there were a special stand from Marklin-Gyor showing products that they have been making..
The Hungarian people is quite "technical minded" , In Hungary you find such a strong tradition of engineering ...( excuse my poor English ). They were just unlucky to live in a communist system during 45 years...( which is another subject ) ...

I was not aware that the Gottardo was made outside of Germany. My box has the usual Maerklin Goeppingen address on the box. I guess that the ones that were imported into the United States have the added country of origin information. Was it a sticker or is it printed on the box?

Györ is the major city between Budapest and Vienna or Bratislava.
The first Maerklin product that I learned was made at this plant was the C-Track. As production was moved from Sonneberg, more and more product was being made in Hungary or on spec in China.
I did not know that locomotive production had been moved as well.

As far as the damage to the lettering on your train. I would contact your dealer and ask for a replacement for that coach (if they have another in stock) or request that they order another one to exchange the whole set.

This once again raises the issue of whether it is better to have plastic or styrofoam box liners and how best to protect these expensive models during shipment and storage.

Got to go outside and check out the full moon. It should be about complete now.

Regards

Mike C
Montreal
Offline cjh26  
#144 Posted : 21 February 2008 05:08:48(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Mine had a small sticker on the box that said made in Hungary. It was a white sticker on the outside of the bx

I really think it is a pretty nice model overall, Made of heavy metal. I have not run it yet.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by AshleyH
<br />I think if you have some faded writing it has probably rubbed on the packaging during transit. The only likely solution would be to return that particular body shell under warranty I would think.

Just out of interest, how can you tell where your unit is made? I received mine a month agao, but cannot see any country of origin on the train or the box. If you let me know I will look at mine and let you know.

I was under the impression that these models were made in Goppingen, but of course that is the impression that Marklin wishes to create. So Hungary would not surprise me at all.

Ashley

Carl
Offline john black  
#145 Posted : 21 February 2008 11:20:18(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I have no problem with a Marklin run factory in Hungary

Me too loves the Hungarians Smile

1) They sent communism to hell Cool
2) They're cooking an Gulyas [:p] you will dream about weeks after ...

Offline nevw  
#146 Posted : 22 February 2008 11:02:52(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
to lutz no fing comment as get into trouble if I give the answer it deserves.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nevw  
#147 Posted : 22 February 2008 12:00:54(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
They dont look too Happy.
Looking rather concerned specially Mother.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline nevw  
#148 Posted : 22 February 2008 12:56:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />They dont look too Happy.

Sure they do/did - especially when the son had successfully finished assembling "his own" loco which he got from famous "mother Märklin". Smile

Not in that photo. they do not look happy at all.
Offline nevw  
#149 Posted : 22 February 2008 12:57:48(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />to lutz no fing comment as get into trouble if I give the answer it deserves.

Very good - you too got the "message"! This is a model railroad forum and IMHO Juhan made VERY clear that there is no room for politics. [^]

Sorry LUTZ, the only message I got is to not make personal Attacks.
I could not see any Politics in Johns Message.
If you can, you have a very warped mind.
Nev
Offline David Dewar  
#150 Posted : 22 February 2008 12:58:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Nev. I know we had an agreement here but it is getting very difficult. The mother in the photo is wearing a Marklin top... maybe she is not his mother !!! Who is the guy at the back ??? There is a hand appearing from the left.... Looks like a job for Miss 8 to track down another lady in red.

Thanks to Roland for the explanation and as Ron says perfect English.
There have been many things made in Hungary over the years and all seem to be fine so I dont see a problem with M stuff being made there.

Just a brief comment : I sent an email to Vollmer and had a reply in 4 hours in perfect English which was very helpful. Top marks to Vollmer.

David