Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mascagni  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2007 01:03:34(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: I got my 37363 SBB Ae 6/6 "Erstfeld" from Zuba-Tech in Sankt Gallen a week ago. It was badly damaged in transit , and I called them and e-mailed them to inform them about this. The person who normally handles this is out on vacation until next week. But the person whom I spoke with told me that they would reply to my e-mail, and tell me what to do. Well, after many e-mails no reply.

I have had good experiences with Zuba-Tech, but this seems to be very bad form. What is your opinion, and what do you think I should do?

Thanks.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline Caplin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2007 01:22:38(UTC)
Caplin

Ouch! Everybodys nightmare [:0]

I think that your first shot should be to reach the person that you say normally handle things. Obviously the stand-in does not know his business and is scared to promise anything. Bad customer handling, I say.

Keep us posted with further development.

Good Luck.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Hemmerich  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2007 01:32:07(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mascagni
It was badly damaged in transit

Hi Michael,

sad to hear this (almost now well known) story. Can you describe what's all damaged or even post a/some picture of the damage? wink
Offline mascagni  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2007 03:25:32(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: Let me add some clarification:

1. I actually think all will work itself out, but I am not happy that I have to wait in such an unsure situation.
2. There was insurance on the package, but I am not sure if that does me any good. I have bad experience with shipping insured packages via Post-Economy from Switzerland to the US.
3. The front of the box was clearly hit, and the body is dinged, the cow catcher is pushed down, and the pickup show is bent at a 30 degree angle and detached from the body.

I am out of town this week, but will post pictures, and will try to get in touch again about this.

Thanks for your support.--MM
Offline chrisisrang  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2007 05:22:41(UTC)
chrisisrang

Hi! Michael,

I am extremely sorry to hear about your aweful experience.

The problem lies squarely with the Swiss dealers such as Zuba Tech who have shipped damaged locomotives to customers with complete knowledge that the #37363 locomotives were not in 100% shape to be received by customers (especially since they had already received numerous customer complaints). I know of 4 of my friends who received damaged locos and/or damaged boxes & locos. If they had received damaged locomotives from Marklin, I feel that they should have resolved the issue with marklin rather than dumping the problem on poor customers.

Best regards,

Chris
Offline Guus  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2007 09:59:23(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Michael,

That's very sad to hear!
I've had the very same experience with my 37363.Also see ths topic:https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=7875

After some e-mail correspondence I returned the damaged loco so they would be able to see for themselves.
They decided to send me a brand new one.Excellent service of Zuba-Tech!

The new loco still suffered some minor damage-totally destroyed slider-but was otherwise okay.As was the box.

IMHO the the sendings aren't packed well enough for rough handling.I've pointed this out to them.
But also the second time the box was put tightly in the packaging with no room for cushioning material.
Any schock will then be transmitted directly to the box.
I wouldn't be surprised if all the locos were damaged after they left the shop!

I sincerely hope you'll get your loc replaced!

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Caplin  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2007 10:13:58(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by chrisisrang
<br />The problem lies squarely with the Swiss dealers such as Zuba Tech who have shipped damaged locomotives to customers with complete knowledge that the #37363 locomotives were not in 100% shape to be received by customers (especially since they had already received numerous customer complaints). I know of 4 of my friends who received damaged locos and/or damaged boxes & locos. If they had received damaged locomotives from Marklin, I feel that they should have resolved the issue with marklin rather than dumping the problem on poor customers.

It is almost unbelievable if that kind of business has been going on for some time already. [:0].
Anyway, I hope that MM's case turn out to the better. He seems to have a good contact to the dealer and has had good experience with them in the past. Let's not even think that MM's good contact is on permanent vacation!
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline kurtjr  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2007 11:56:33(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
I don't think it has anything to do with Zuba-Tech. I've ordered many locs from them including the Ae 6/6 Erstfeld and i can tell you that it had no damage, no missing UIC connectors and their service has been great. The boxes are usually carefully packed with lots of newspaper and foam to absorb some of the shocks of transport.

Lets be honest, postal services around the world are rather lousy at handling fragile parcels. I think Zuba-Tech should maybe put a big red fragile sticker on their shipments going forward to avoid the parcels being thrown around by stressed postal/cargo employees. If you've ever seen baggage handlers at the airport loading a plane you would rethink carefully what you put in your suitcase ;-)(eg. bottles)
All SBB's, SNCF and US/CDN model's.
Offline Guus  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2007 13:35:31(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Kurt,

I absolutely agree with your observations on the way parcels are handled,these days.
Don't put anything that can break easily in your luggage.Even at automated baggage handling facilities such as on large airports you won't believe from which heights suitcases are dropped sometimes1

Secondly I'm sorry if I gave the impression of trying to put blame on the dealer.On the other hand I think if anyone had seen the way my locos were packed one wouldn't be surprised that the boxes couldn't withstand any further impact.

And let me stress that in my case the boxes could definitely have been packed in a better way!!!

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2007 14:33:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I warned about Zubatech about a year ago or so having had difficulty with a HAG model from them.
Obviously they can not be all bad as some of our members seem quite happy with their service. However with this model there have been many complaints with broken models and I would blame the dealer here. We know the postal folk are not careful hence packages should be secure. Everything I have had from dealers all over Europe and the USA has been fine for mnay years except this one dealer.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kurtjr  
#11 Posted : 13 November 2007 15:32:47(UTC)
kurtjr

Switzerland   
David

could well be that they package the same way for Switzerland and the rest of the world which is probably not good enough. Maybe i'm lucky with postage here as its travelling only about 90km from St. Gallen.

I think someone should let them know that it seems to be a recurring problem although i'm sure they did notice with this particular engine that it might of required a little bit better service than just flogging them off in a normal parcel!! They are fragile locs and need to be cared for :-)
All SBB's, SNCF and US/CDN model's.
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 13 November 2007 15:35:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Sorry to hear that, mascagni.

I think the model was heavy for the package.

I have few boxed little damage with some heavy models!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 13 November 2007 16:27:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Kurt. Could be that they probably sell more HAGs than Marklin and the HAG boxes may well withstand the postal service better as the locos are well protected in the box.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Guus  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2007 17:39:33(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
I think I should mention Zuba-Tech gave me excellent service by sending me a brand new one.

Also i've sent them pictures of how the previous loco was packed thereby showing how in my opnion damage could possibly have been prevented.

Kind regards
Guus
P.S.: Just saw our postings crossed John.
I still think the question remains whether the locos were already damaged when sent by the dealer,or did the locos suffer damage from rough handling by the parcel delivery companies and or customs officers.
I cannot imagine them willingly replace my old loco with a brand new one which has a totally destroyed pickup shoe.I can't help but think the damage was done after they've sent the loco
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline john black  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2007 17:55:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Crossing posts are fun, Guus Smile
Seriously - two bad cases can happen, even three. But six of them !!! is intent ... Cool

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 13 November 2007 18:05:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Guus It is great that you got a new loco but that is the sort of service I would expect if I received one that was damaged. It took me many emails and more than a month before i got a reply and even that was not much use.
I know we both like HAG and I now have a dealer in the UK who is good and the prices are quite good as well it is just a matter of waiting for the model.
However it does look a nice model. Any reason why you bought Marklin and not the HAG version (other than the fact we are M enthusiasts)

David
Offline bmcrae  
#17 Posted : 13 November 2007 18:18:29(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
My service from Zuba-Tech was good. My only damage was 1 broken off UIC connector. The package had been opened by Canada Customs so I can't say for sure if the way it was packed, was the way it left the shop. I emailed them when the item arrived about the small damage and within 2 weeks I had 4 replacement UIC connectors. Smile

I was also happy the GST pigs at the border didn't lift the 'Denner' chocolate bar from the box before they closed it back up!! [}:)]
Offline Hemmerich  
#18 Posted : 13 November 2007 19:01:19(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
I can't help but think the damage was done after they've sent the loco

I think so too, Guus! wink

Let's put it this way:

About 1000 models were produced by Märklin.

I got mine in excellent shape; same as two others Swiss model train fans in my neighborhood. We all picked up our models personally at our (all three different) Swiss dealers.

Hence, any possible earlier issues with this model between Märklin and the dealers either didn't apply here or were resolved.

So, the question just is: how many models were a) shipped by dealers still with some damage (i.e. uninspected) and b) how many of them were damaged during shipping? Both are dealer problems which they should and can resolve. Smile
Offline Guus  
#19 Posted : 13 November 2007 19:28:13(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by David:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Any reason why you bought Marklin and not the HAG version (other than the fact we are M enthusiasts)

There are several reasons why I bought the Märklin version.

When I compared the first pictures of both the Märklin and the HAG model I was delighted to see there were only minor differences in detailing.
I hasten to admit that the HAG model still surpasses the Märklin model when you have a closer look,but given the considerable price difference the Märklin variant is very good in my opinion.

The other thing I liked was the fact that its a limited edition Märklin product.
Although HAG will produce far less than 999 copies of one particular model,for Märklin this is quite extraordinary.

Last but not least, it's a Märklin and that's my first love in MRR.

Kind regards
Guus
P.S.:I must say I couldn't resist a HAG Ae 6/6,so I ordered an Uri at my other Swiss dealer

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Hemmerich  
#20 Posted : 13 November 2007 19:41:18(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
Any reason why you bought Marklin and not the HAG version

I bought the Märklin model in favour of the HAG ones (there are two; I've posted pictures in another thread) for the following reasons:
- "limited edition with certificate" (collector item)
- IMHO HAG doesn't offer yet their models with mfx sound decoders
- the price is substantial (about 30-50%) lower
- factory built-in functionality for additional light options. wink.
Offline bmcrae  
#21 Posted : 13 November 2007 20:01:03(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
I would have to agree with Guus and Lutz above for my reasons to buy this item. Also, I have all the previous "Cargo" Märklin released items. And it goes well with my 37361!! [:p][:p]

I am really enjoying these items on my layout!! I am hoping to see another variant or two of the Ae 6/6 for 2008 biggrinbiggrin
Offline Guus  
#22 Posted : 13 November 2007 20:16:24(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Lutz;

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:...We all picked up our models personally at our (all three different) Swiss dealers....

My preferred method as well,but not always an option for everybody

Given the fact that I work for an airline I can fly at a reduced fare, if seats are available.

So I will collect my next purchase personally in either Zürich or St.Gallen.

The look on the faces alone of airport security personnel "spotting a train "sitting behind their X-ray machines , is worth such a trip.
I can tell you from experience[:0]biggrin

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline bmcrae  
#23 Posted : 13 November 2007 20:56:37(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />originally posted by Lutz;

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:...We all picked up our models personally at our (all three different) Swiss dealers....

My preferred method as well,but not always an option for everybody

Given the fact that I work for an airline I can fly at a reduced fare, if seats are available.

So I will collect my next purchase personally in either Zürich or St.Gallen.

The look on the faces alone of airport security personnel "spotting a train "sitting behind their X-ray machines , is worth such a trip.
I can tell you from experience[:0]biggrin

Kind regards
Guus

Any chance we could arrange a 'drop' of sorts the next time you fly over western Canada? Call me up on tower frequency 119.6 and let me know!! wink

BTW, I've got 7300' of runway waiting for you, soon to be extended to 9000'!!

[size=1]side note for webmaster: Thank god for this site. This is my only day off this week and I've got a mound of 'pink' girls laundry to go through today while the wife is at work. I can't get down to the 'train room' so this is my ONLY diversion! That is until my next package arrives any time now laden with more track, switches, lights, etc. Then the laundry will just have to wait I'm afraid. Cool
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou......!!
Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 13 November 2007 21:13:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Guus. I agree that for me it is usually Marklin but when it comes to Swiss outline there is nothing to beat HAG. I know there is the cost issue but that extra detail complete with sprung buffers and even a driver along with a motor which purrs beautifully HAG is difficult not to buy. Reminds me of the Marklin of old..solid and reliable.
I wont own many HAG models or for that matter Brawa but both manufacturers do make some excllent stuff and the occasional purchase other than Marklin does make for variety.

David
Offline Hemmerich  
#25 Posted : 13 November 2007 22:01:14(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by bmcrae
<br />I would have to agree with Guus and Lutz above for my reasons to buy this item. Also, I have all the previous "Cargo" Märklin released items. And it goes well with my 37361!! [:p][:p]

Yes, Brian.

Same/similar motor charactistics is another possible reason to buy, if there are already models of that same type (which is the case for me) biggrin. It would be worthwile testing if a HAG and Märklin Ae6/6 can be fully synchronized.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I am really enjoying these items on my layout!!

YES! YES! YES!!! Smile

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I am hoping to see another variant or two of the Ae 6/6 for 2008

Oh No!!! biggrin It was already 3 new models this year and one of my "biggest challenges" (or should I better say pleasures? wink) to be able to add them to my collection - which was really not that easy but so far I succeeded. Yes, a new Ae6/6 every year is fully ok with me!Smile

UserPostedImage

From left to right, top to bottom:

#3636 - 11425 Kanton Genf
#37361 - 11422 Kanton Vaud/Waadtland
#3736 - 11417 Kanton Fribourg

#28505 - 11432 Stans
#37362-1 - 11520 Langnau im Emmental
#39361 - 11463 Göschenen

#3739 - 11426 Stadt Zürich
#37363 - 610 492-1 Erstfeld
#3650 - 11439 Frauenfeld (older model)

#29680 - 11404 Kanton Luzern
#3738 - 11414 Kanton Bern
#37362-2 - 11403 Kanton Schwyz

#37366 - 11428 Stadt Luzern (also #26532)
#3737 - 11437 Stadt Basel
#29850 - 11453 Arth-Goldau (also #29851)
Offline Guus  
#26 Posted : 13 November 2007 22:47:05(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
David,I agree HAG beats Mäklin in many aspects.
I mainly collect Märklins Swiss models and have models from HAG Märklin doesn't make and I think the two brands go together very well!
Like you've mentioned before HAG's rollng stock is also very good and well worth their money.
I think I should try BRAWA too some time.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Guus  
#27 Posted : 13 November 2007 22:52:53(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Brian:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:BTW, I've got 7300' of runway waiting for you, soon to be extended to 9000'!!

No problem,although 9000' is more comfortable.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Guus  
#28 Posted : 13 November 2007 22:55:57(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
What an extremely nice collection Lutz,Congratulations!

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline bmcrae  
#29 Posted : 13 November 2007 23:08:29(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />

#3636 - 11425 Kanton Genf
#37361 - 11422 Kanton Vaud/Waadtland
#3736 - 11417 Kanton Fribourg

#28505 - 11432 Stans
#37362-1 - 11520 Langnau im Emmental
#39361 - 11463 Göschenen

#3739 - 11426 Stadt Zürich
#37363 - 610 492-1 Erstfeld
#3650 - 11439 Frauenfeld (older model)

#29680 - 11404 Kanton Luzern
#3738 - 11414 Kanton Bern
#37362-2 - 11403 Kanton Schwyz

#37366 - 11428 Stadt Luzern (also #26532)
#3737 - 11437 Stadt Basel
#29850 - 11453 Arth-Goldau (also #29851)

Thanks Lutz!! Nice display!![:p][:p][:p]
Offline steventrain  
#30 Posted : 13 November 2007 23:09:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice collection, Lutz.[:p]
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Caplin  
#31 Posted : 14 November 2007 00:06:28(UTC)
Caplin

Magnificent collection!
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Hemmerich  
#32 Posted : 14 November 2007 01:01:25(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
<br />What an extremely nice collection Lutz,Congratulations!

Thanks guys! [:I]

If Märklin would stop issuing that many new Ae6/6's I could finally also look after some "exquisite" HAG versions like the old as well as the historic "Uri" version or the "Obwalden". [:p]

Trouble is that my loco shed is too small already today (only 6 tracks with space for each 2 locos), so some of them have to be either "on the road", sit in one of the tracks adjacent to the shed - or get some rest in the display. biggrin
Offline intruder  
#33 Posted : 14 November 2007 12:15:44(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very nice collection, Lutz!

By the way, you never mentioned how many locomotives you really have. I suspect that it is very many SmileSmile
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline intruder  
#34 Posted : 14 November 2007 12:22:48(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Some iformation concerning Zuba-Tech in Switzerland, as I see some comments earlier in this topic:

In Winterthur, Untere Graben 1, there used to be a Zuba-Tech MMR shop. Mr. Barp, the "ba" in Zuba, obviously pulled out and started his own shop, still in Untere Graben 1. Now it is called Barp-Tech, since September 22nd it is a "Shop in shop".

This summer I bought my 37512 (and the 3772) from him. Several weeks after coming home from my holiday, I discovered that the connecting rod and the screws where missing on one side of the brown locomotive.
I sent Mr. Barp an e-mail, and after a while the missing rod and the screws came by mail. No questions asked. Very good service.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Hemmerich  
#35 Posted : 14 November 2007 16:12:27(UTC)
Hemmerich

Hi Svein,

when the talk is about ZUBA-Tech, whch is the case in this thread, then it relates to this company (with two shops in St. Gallen and Zürich). See also: http://www.zuba-tech.ch/

BARP-Tech is a different company and located in Winterthur. See at:
http://www.modellbahn-shop.ch/

The only historic linkage between the two is indeed Roger Barp, who used to be one of the two owners of ZUBA-Tech, but runs now his own business since 2007.

As one can see both of them are Märklin Shop-in-Shop dealers and thus two of the 15 who were eligible to sell this nice model. See: http://www.maerklin.ch/
Offline mascagni  
#36 Posted : 20 November 2007 16:58:35(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: Just tried to call Zuba-Tech, no luck, will try again later. However, here are links to two pictures that show the damage to the box and to the train.

http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~mascagni/Zuba-Tech/IMG_1070.JPG
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~mascagni/Zuba-Tech/IMG_1071.JPG

Your comments on the damage? Was this the same kind that was seen by others?--MM
Offline David Dewar  
#37 Posted : 20 November 2007 17:17:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would send it back and either get one which is in perfect condition or a full refund.
If the damage was there before despatch then dont buy again from a dealer who does not give a second glance at what is being despatched. Same should be said if the packing was poor.
In model rail we accept far too much poor service and then praise a dealer for getting it right later. My view is buy from those who pack properly and at least have a quick look at what they are sending us.
Surely Marklin would not despatch models in this state. Interesting to note how HAG pack their models which I think gives more protection and should not cost more in materials.
Hope you can get in touch soon Michael and everything works out in the end. I know just how annoying it can be.

David

Offline Guus  
#38 Posted : 20 November 2007 17:34:09(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Michael:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Your comments on the damage? Was this the same kind that was seen by others?--MM

I've seen the same damage on mine.Apart from other damage like broken UIC connectors,the pickupshoe was severely damaged just like yours!
Judging by your second photo,the righthand bogie seems to have suffered damage as well!

Also the second loco they sent as a replacement suffered the same damage to the pickup shoe.Luckily the scond one is otherwise fine.
As i've said before in this and another topic,I believe this kind of damage is done by the shipper and not the dealer.

The dealers reponsibility in this is that they should pack the loco better.
Both of the locos were packed tightly in a box with no protection on three sides.The only thing they did was fill the unused space with paper.
This doesn't protect the locos box at all in case of a fall or other rough handling.

The fact that my replacement loco wasn't damaged, apart from the pickupshoe, is pure luck I think.

How was yours packed Michael?

Like I said in a previous posting I've sent mine back to St.Gallen and they sent me a brand new one as a replacement.

Kind regards
Guus

I
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Guus  
#39 Posted : 20 November 2007 17:52:51(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by David:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Interesting to note how HAG pack their models which I think gives more protection and should not cost more in materials.

I fully agree with that David.The foam material in their standard boxes is an excellent protection in itself.

I've had HAG locos sent from Switzerland by Roundhouse in Zürich, which were excellently packed.The locos boxes were wrapped in foam material and then put in a box which was prefilled with other dampening material.

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline bmcrae  
#40 Posted : 20 November 2007 19:55:07(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
<br />Hi: Just tried to call Zuba-Tech, no luck, will try again later. However, here are links to two pictures that show the damage to the box and to the train.

Your comments on the damage? Was this the same kind that was seen by others?--MM

I agree with what has been said already. That lok must go back for replacement or full refund. How many do they need to keep shipping in this state before they get it right? [:0]
Offline bmcrae  
#41 Posted : 20 November 2007 19:57:35(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
<br />
The fact that my replacement loco wasn't damaged, apart from the pickupshoe, is pure luck I think.

After hearing all the stories and reading what Michael is going through right now, I'm feeling more lucky as the days go by.
Offline Guus  
#42 Posted : 20 November 2007 20:14:37(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
originally posted by Brian;

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:After hearing all the stories and reading what Michael is going through right now, I'm feeling more lucky as the days go by.

Hi Brian,
To be honest I always keep my fingers crossed when expecting a delivery from abroad.

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline steventrain  
#43 Posted : 20 November 2007 22:04:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
<br />Hi: Just tried to call Zuba-Tech, no luck, will try again later. However, here are links to two pictures that show the damage to the box and to the train.

Gasp[:0], It is quite shock so send back for replecement. The package not strong enough for heavy. The E18 39190/39680/39681 do have two wooden under inside package to avoid damage. Why Marklin do not use the wooden for 37361/37363?
Offline mascagni  
#44 Posted : 26 November 2007 18:19:54(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: Here's a positive update!!

I finally got word back from Zuba-Tech, and have mailed the damaged Lok back. They promised to fix/replace it and ship it back. I will let you know what happens, but this is a good sign in my book.--MM
Offline mike c  
#45 Posted : 02 December 2007 05:52:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The problem with many modern loks is that they now have very fine detail parts. The Maerklin Ae 6/6 (and Re 4/4II) models now come with UIC connectors and lateral handrails which are a challenge in terms of packaging.
If you compare the packaging of a 3737 and a 37361, you will note that there are a few extra cutouts (for the UIC socket and the antennae). The problem is that there is very little protection for the handrails other than the foam paper.
I had a 39361 arrive from Germany that was completely destroyed. It was sent back. The replacement arrived, but needed new buffers, UIC sockets and all of the handrails needed to be straightened out. It was sent back again. They refused to replace it. It was finally replaced and sent by Maerklin directly. That one arrived in perfect condition.
Newer loks (Am842, Re 4/4I) have similar plastic inside liners, but there are two pieces of foam at each end so that Maerklin can now use standard length cartons for all models. This does not increase the protection for the loks, and if the styrofoam is worn, this creates even more potential for the lok to be thrown around.
As far as styrofoam. I ordered a 29850 Set from the a dealer in the States. When it arrived at my US address, I found that the Ae 6/6 had dropped through the styrofoam and had spent the whole trip bouncing around the inside of the box. They did not have another set, so the whole thing went back and I got my money back.
I have never seen this kind of problem with a Hag box. I once had a Lok arrive with the box totally damaged, but the foam and lok inside were 100% OK. What I would like to see on Hag models is to see the antennae included as an add-on part, as I would rather install it myself than have another broken one on arrival. They used to include spares with each lok.
Ensuring that the lok box is packed in such a way that it does not bounce around in the shipping box, and that any shock is absorbed before it is transmitted to the lok will help your lok arrive in good shape. There is one dealer who seems to always use flimsy cartons that feel recycled. I specify each time that they should use a stronger carton and I insist that each item they ship be wrapped in bubble pack. Voila, problem solved.
If your dealer won't repair or replace a unit that arrives damaged, contact kundenbetreuung@maerklin.de and make them aware of your problem. Spare buffers, UIC sockets and sliders can be had at ersatzteile@maerklin.de.

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#46 Posted : 02 December 2007 16:24:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Mike. You are right about HAG they know how to pack a loco to give it the best chance of arriving intact. No reason why Marklin cant do this that I can see.

David
Offline mascagni  
#47 Posted : 13 December 2007 12:13:26(UTC)
mascagni

Hello to all, one more update, damaged Lok has arrived at Zuba-Tech, they have informed me of same and that they have ordered parts to replace it. I cautioned Zuba-Tech to replace everything that was damaged, and to package it very carefully. BTW, I do not think the original box sent to me was damaged, I think the train was shipped damaged.--MM
Offline TTRExpress  
#48 Posted : 13 December 2007 16:45:37(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Michael,

I am glad that your damaged locomotive issue is finally being addressed by the dealer you purchased in from. Locomotives are sensitive to packing and shipping damage. I am sure we have all had locos that have no external damage, however, fail to operate immediately out of the box. I am certain that is due to poor final packaging also. The way that packages are handled via our various mail services also adds to the issues.

The boxes they are displayed in are not really designed to give them total protection during long-distance shipping. The dealers should make every effort to package these expensive items much more securely. It's not that difficult!!

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin)Cool
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]