Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2023 10:36:07(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I have now upgraded my old loco 28830

maerklin-h0-83320.jpg

with the simple decoder 60760

Decoder.jpg

When I put the loco on my CS3 programming track it has the address of 78. I need to change this address as it used by another loco. How do I do this (idiot proof instructions please) Huh

not being an electrician - what are the green blobs on the wires, where do i fit them? I find the lack of instructions for the fitting of the decoder rather disturbing !

Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2023 13:58:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi Tim. The mnaual says to use an MS2 to change the settings by calling up Loco. item 36856. It doesn't say the address is changable without a 6021 control. The green resistors replace the condensor on the brush plate, and solder the other to the other side of the brush plate conncetor/wire.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2023 20:10:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
The green resistors replace the condensor on the brush plate, and solder the other to the other side of the brush plate conncetor/wire.

They are not resistors, they are inductors - tiny difference to the layman, I know, but both get marked with colour rings to denote the value.

These go in series with the wires to the motor brushes, and are used to reduce radio and TV interference. In a lot of cases you will not notice a difference if they are left out (but your neighbours may when you run your trains).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2023 22:32:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I did read inductors Alan. This decoder is not mfx, correct? I think Tim needs one that is for a CS3 to recognize and change the address?
Offline cintrans  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2023 03:50:49(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Tim

No idea how to reset the address with a CS3, but it is in "CV 01" you change the decoder address
With the old 6021 its straight forward, enter CV 01 via the program mode of the controller, type in a number from 01 to 80 and that will be the new address...
I guess it should be as easy using the CS3 controller...

Regards

Jean-Pierre
Offline dlwestphalen  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2023 04:32:23(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Hi Tim,

I agree with you. Most Marklin documentation is not good at all. Sometimes I wonder if that was done on purpose so that you have to pay for an authorized dealer to do the conversion.

Anyway, I found lots of YouTube videos to be very useful. They clearly show where to solder the inductors. If you find videos with the 60943 or 60944, they are all similar.

With regards to the loco address I had the same problem.

I converted 2 locos with the 60760 kit and initially the CS3 didn’t recognize the second loco.

A little bit by trial and error I managed to change the loco address of the first one and then the second one was automatically added to the address 78 - which I managed to change as well … just in case.

Sorry if my explanation is not very helpful. But as far as I remember I simply changed the loco address to an empty number and saved the changes. All done on my CS3.

Cheers,
Denis
Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2023 08:41:23(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
It can be changed with a CS3, I haven’t done it for a couple of years but it definitely can be done.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Online marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 29 December 2023 13:36:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Retrofitting takes some skill. Even more if you're converting from standard bulbs to LED lights. Some models had screw in bulbs and others pin plug in type.I think the plugin socket is still available. It can be confusing for the inexperienced modeler when red marker lights are in addition to just reversing headlights too.
I personally don't get how certain models are configured differently for functions. For example one has cab lighting which changes over with the headlight direction, while others can be switched on or off regardless of the direction of travel. Yet one that I have only lights up both cabs together and not separately. So I guess if I wanted to upgrade this loco. To mfx with sound, I would separate the cab lighting wires to each, and solder to the designated decoder tabs.
Offline dlwestphalen  
#9 Posted : 29 December 2023 16:18:02(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Retrofitting takes some skill. Even more if you're converting from standard bulbs to LED lights. Some models had screw in bulbs and others pin plug in type.I think the plugin socket is still available. It can be confusing for the inexperienced modeler when red marker lights are in addition to just reversing headlights too.
I personally don't get how certain models are configured differently for functions. For example one has cab lighting which changes over with the headlight direction, while others can be switched on or off regardless of the direction of travel. Yet one that I have only lights up both cabs together and not separately. So I guess if I wanted to upgrade this loco. To mfx with sound, I would separate the cab lighting wires to each, and solder to the designated decoder tabs.

I like your approach. But I found that the decoder that comes with this old kit (DCM motor upgrade + decoder) doesn’t have wires for additional functions. If I am not mistaken, just front/rear lights. I added one LED strip in the middle of my 3057 (BR 151) to light up the engine but I had to bypass the decoder and feed it directly (rectifier, capacitor, resistors) from the track/shoe power.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dlwestphalen
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 29 December 2023 17:40:35(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dlwestphalen Go to Quoted Post

I like your approach. But I found that the decoder that comes with this old kit (DCM motor upgrade + decoder) doesn’t have wires for additional functions. If I am not mistaken, just front/rear lights. I added one LED strip in the middle of my 3057 (BR 151) to light up the engine but I had to bypass the decoder and feed it directly (rectifier, capacitor, resistors) from the track/shoe power.

the 60760 is quite old and have some limitations and that's why I'm not using this decoder. However, it also has some "hidden" features and e.g. more aux is possible. ref: https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/digital/decoder-traegerplatinen/fuer-lokomotiven/maerklin/digital/6090x-c90x/6090x-pic/standard-60760https://moba-hgh.de/modellbahn/tipps-tricks-infos/667-tuning-des-60760-decoders.html

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline bph  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2023 17:59:01(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

I have now upgraded my old loco 28830

When I put the loco on my CS3 programming track it has the address of 78. I need to change this address as it used by another loco. How do I do this (idiot proof instructions please) Huh

not being an electrician - what are the green blobs on the wires, where do i fit them? I find the lack of instructions for the fitting of the decoder rather disturbing !

Tim

The CS3 manual has some decent instructions on page 11. https://streaming.maerklin.de/public-media/anleitungen/CS3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf

As for how to mount the chokes, the picture in this post will hopefully give you an idea. https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m652161-Marklin-current-conducting-couplers-causing-decoder-short-circuiting-and-made-it-smoke#post652161
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline dlwestphalen  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2023 18:06:38(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
I wish I knew this hidden features of the 60760 decoder. Too late now lol.

The only reason I used this decoder is because the upgrade kit (motor + decoder) is much cheaper than the motor and decoder bought separately and I had 2 locos with DCM motors. Maybe this is Marklin’s strategy to get rid of these old decoders.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dlwestphalen
Offline mvd71  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2023 18:30:06(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

The only reason I used this decoder is because the upgrade kit (motor + decoder) is much cheaper than the motor and decoder bought separately and I had 2 locos with DCM motors. Maybe this is Marklin’s strategy to get rid of these old decoders.

The 60760 was not a strategy to get rid of old decoders, it was a budget model kit to allow people to upgrade models to digital without spending more than the model was worth.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 30 December 2023 17:32:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The 60760 is still in production. I suspect it has had some changes since it was first designed to suit available components, but functionally it is still the same device.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan