Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline billyamy  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2023 21:37:04(UTC)
billyamy

Hong Kong   
Would like to know can the 60971 programmer or CS3 programming the smoke output (temperature)?

My BR06 ‘s smoker is very strong and very hot. I can see some orange light inside the smoke hole when it run. 0.5 ml distillate will burn out in 2 minutes and will stop because of over heat.

My train’s smoker generator burn out and cannot work in the first day and sent back to marklin last year. They sent it back after 4 months. It works again but very very hot.
My dealer have Emil to Märklin but they didn’t answer me the question directly.

I would like to know can the cs3 or programmer lower the generator’s output (like ESU)? If yes, I will buy one and try to fix it by myself.

Thank you very much
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2023 22:36:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Billy

First, a warm welcome to this great forum of Märklin friends
You raise multiple points.

The 60971 with the DecoderTool3 or the CS2 / CS2 allow a full programming of Märklin decoders.
Part of this programming is to assign physical outputs (AUX 1 to AUX4) to fonction keys and also to define the modulation (fix, blinking, fire, Mars light, Telex, Smoke) and the moment it works (FWR, REV running or both) and the intensity (usually from 1 to 255).

The BR 06 001 (39662) has a totally different smole unit (from older Seuthe unit).
On my 39662, the smoke unit seemed to work OK, it would draw a current of 350-400 mA and a small fan would be modulated by the decoder to replicate the smoke bursts of the real thing.
My smoke unit (on 39662) died (with a light smell of electronics) and does not anymore draw the 350-400 mA needed for smoke. The loco is on its way to Märklin (it went first to my German seller. Before it died, I observed a red glowing thing around the smoke tube and I suspect the fan died causing the heating resistor to go too hot and cut itself. I say this because, before dying, my smoke unit would stay inactive (with fluid) until I blow very very lightly in the chimney

The regular "Seuthe" (Märklin 7226, 72270) smoke units have no fan and draw a much smaller current 100-150 mA and less sensitive to the absence of smoking fluid.
When mapping the Märklin decoders (mSD3,..) if - instead of dimmer - you select smoke unit, the unit will operate with a reduced current when the loco is stopped and full smoke when the loco is running.

Cheers
Jean
P.S.: I love Hong Kong and stopped there many times (crossing the bay / admiralty, etc) while on my way to my work in Mainland China (Nanjing L1 & 2, Beijing L 1 & 8) or in Taiwan (Tapeh Metro, High Speed rail line THSRC)
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2023 08:40:17(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: billyamy Go to Quoted Post
Would like to know can the 60971 programmer or CS3 programming the smoke output (temperature)?

Hello Billy

If your loco is MFX, then you can adjust the voltage of the smoke output using the CVs. (Configuration Variables)

On the CS3, go to the Edit Locos, select the loco which you want to edit, and click on the Configuration tab.
The CS3 will read the CV values from the decoder.
You should see Motor, Sound, Format, etc

Now, click on the smoke unit icon.
The CS3 will read more CV values from the decoder.

Now, click on the place to adjust the output of the CVs.
You can adjust the output voltage of any of the outputs to any number between 0-255.
Try a number around 100.
Save the output CVs and see how the loco smokes.

Hope that helps!

Regards
John

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2023 08:54:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
If your loco is MFX, then you can adjust the voltage of the smoke output using the CVs. (Configuration Variables)
The question is about the new BR 06. That loco is mfx.
I doubt the smoke generator settings can be adjusted, as it is one of the new synchronized smoke generators.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online bph  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2023 11:58:16(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Assuming that the locomotive is the BR06 39662, then you can not adjust the smoke generator the normal way.
on the 39662 the smoke generator is connected to a separate SUSI board.
However if someone discovers the correct susi cv('s?), it might be possible if the board supports it.

What type of smoke distillate are you using?
Offline billyamy  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2023 17:40:59(UTC)
billyamy

Hong Kong   
Thank you for all your replies!
This forum is very nice and helpful..
Yes, the BR06 is 39662 with dynamic steam and I am using Märklin distillate.
Because I am using MS2 only, so I need to buy a programmer to programming the output.

Thanks again for all of your help and your effort.
Online bph  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2023 18:27:46(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Because I am using MS2 only, so I need to buy a programmer to programming the output.

hi, make sure you are using the 02421 Leightweight smoke fluid, and not the 02420.
And note that you can not modify the 39662 with the 60971 programmer
Offline billyamy  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2023 03:06:16(UTC)
billyamy

Hong Kong   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

hi, make sure you are using the 02421 Leightweight smoke fluid, and not the 02420.

Hi bph,
I don’t know what is the difference between 02420 and 02421 except the size? 02421 better for dynamic steam?
So, 60971 cannot programming 39662 smoker generator is because of type of generator?

Thank you
Online bph  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2023 13:03:31(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Hi bph,
I don’t know what is the difference between 02420 and 02421 except the size? 02421 better for dynamic steam?
So, 60971 cannot programming 39662 smoker generator is because of type of generator?

Thank you

Hi
There is a slight difference between the two, and the 02421 is "lighter". and the manual for the 39662 states that the 02421 is the one to use.
Marklin Service claims that most of the failed dynamic smoke generators are due to the use of incorrect smoke fluid. (including the 02420). Don't have this in writing as the information was given to me on the phone.

The USB tool 60971 can not program/change factory-fitted decodes because they are "locked". But you can get around that, by using the mdecodertool software and a CS3/2 over the home network. But that is for a full reprogramming of the decoder.
You can of course change the 39662 settings/cv's with CS3/2 and other controllers directly without the 60971 and mdecodertool.