Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JWheeler  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2004 17:58:19(UTC)
JWheeler

Greetings to All

By way of introduction, I have been reading this forum with interest the past few months as I contemplated a return to Marklin HO. Although in the past couple of years I started up again with model trains, it has been with O gauge. I have held a long interest in Marklin HO. When I was very young, my father had a Marklin layout, and we spent many happy hours together playing with his trains. In the end I decided to take the plunge.

I just received the new 29531 starter set yesterday. Along with that set, I also ordered the Railroad Maintenance Facility extension. I thought my self quite clever, as the extension set included a control box and four turnout motors. This matched perfectly with the four turnouts in the combination of the two sets. As is all to often the case with me, the feeling of cleverness lasted just until I read the manual. The manual stated emphatically that on no account could the supplied transformer be used to power both the mobile station and accessories. I am in the market for a new transformer.

I am looking for options. The manual shows a 60052, a 60051 (I guess for 110 volts), transformer powering accessories, and a 66181 transformer powering the mobile station.

Is this the best way to go? Although I have not done the calculations, given the stated max 18va output, I am concerned that the 66181 transformer, supplied with the starter set, may not supply enough power to allow for expansion. I am guessing that an additional locomotive or two and some lighted cars might exceed the transformer's capacity.

Does anyone know if the 6001 transformer can be used to power both the mobile station and accessories, and thus be a better purchase than the 60051 transformer? Also, although this might be completely off the mark, I have an unused Lionel transformer. The stated output of that transformer is 18VAC 3 amps. Could that transformer be used to power the accessories while I make a decision about a new transformer? Are there any better options that I have not considered?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Offline rugauger  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2004 19:23:51(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hi J, and welcome to the forum!

I think there are many permutations of possible options, and I'm sure others are more informed than myself. If I am not mistaken, there is a general rule that you cannot or should not run accessories and the Mobile Station (MS) off the same transformer, irrespective of its power rating. I can see the following options:

1. Don't make a purchase just yet. Use the more powerful Lionel transformer for the Mobile Station and the transformer that came with the starter pack for the accessories.

2. Buy a 60051 (if that's the correct number, can't see it on the Marklin website yet) to power the MS and re-use the transformer from the starter set for your accessories.

3. Find a cheap 6001 to power the MS and re-use the one from the starter set for accessories.

Please also see the answers to a similar question that I posted in this esteemed forum under https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=1554 .
Richard
Offline perz  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2004 19:24:51(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
You have to use a transformer with the correct mains input voltage.
The 60052 and the 66181 are for 230 VAC. The 29531 starter set is for 120 VAC so the transformer there is not a 66181.

The 66181 (and probably the 120 VAC look-alike) is a DC supply. A test I made earlier today showed that it is not the 66181 that sets the capacity limit if you use a mobile station from a starter set. It is the mobile station itself. So changing to a stronger transformer will not allow you to run more trains unless you exchange your mobile station for a stronger one too.

Regarding whether you need a separate transformer or can use the same for both the Mobile station and accessories, the Märklin information is rather confusing. I will try to explain:

What you can not do is to use the same transformer both to the mobile station and to accessories that share the same ground as the track system. In that case you need a separate transformer for the accessories. In this case the accessory transformer "brown" should be connected to outer track rails, and never to the "brown" of the transformer powering the mobile station.

What you can do is to use the same transformer to power accessories that are completely isolated from the track system. However, to use the 18 VA 66181 or similar in this way is not recommended because of the limited power capability.

You can use the older Märklin transformers to power the Mobile station. The above rule about when to use a separate transformer applies to new and old transformers alike. If you are going to use an old transformer with the Mobile Station you need an adapter cable. I built such a cable this morning, parts cost around 2 USD.

I don't know if it is safe to power the Mobile Station with an 18 VAC transformer under all circumstances (worst case variation in mains AC voltage etc) but for accessories like turnout motors it should definitely be OK.
Offline rugauger  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2004 19:30:34(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by perz
<br />...The 66181 (and probably the 120 VAC look-alike) is a DC supply....
OK, so now I'm the one who's confused. If the new transformers supply DC to the MS, then any of the old transformers like 6001/2 could not be used as power supplies for the MS at all. Or have I got that wrong? Perz, does your adapter cable rectify the current?
Richard
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2004 19:38:01(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Perz, does your adapter cable rectify the current?

No, it's much simpler. The MS can take both AC and DC supply.
Offline JWheeler  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2004 17:31:31(UTC)
JWheeler

Gentleman

Thank you for your responses. I was playing with my new train set yesterday and did not get back to the forum until this morning.

I was not aware that the Mobile station set the power capacity limit nor that there are different variants of the mobile station with different power capacities - so confusing.

I will most likely use the supplied 66185 transformer to supply power to the mobile station and test the suitability of the 18VAC Lionel transformer to power the turnouts.

perz, you were correct when you stated that the 29531 starter set is for 120 VAC so the transformer there is not a 66181. Although the manual in the starter set was for a 66181 transformer, the item number on the transformer itself is 66185.

rugaguer, reading through your previous thread about your quest for a more powerful transformer, I am wondering, for 110 VAC users, if transformers for 3 rail O gauge might be a lower cost answer. A Lionel 6-22983 180 Watt Power House transformer has a list price of 89.99 and sells for slightly less. However, as I stated in my original post, when I start to feel clever, it probably means that I have not read the manual

Regards

Offline john black  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2004 11:40:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi J Smile - welcome to the Forum and welcome back to Marklin !

Have Fun
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2004 12:59:14(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by JWheeler
<br />Gentleman

Thank you for your responses. I was playing with my new train set yesterday and did not get back to the forum until this morning.

I was not aware that the Mobile station set the power capacity limit nor that there are different variants of the mobile station with different power capacities - so confusing.

I will most likely use the supplied 66185 transformer to supply power to the mobile station and test the suitability of the 18VAC Lionel transformer to power the turnouts.

perz, you were correct when you stated that the 29531 starter set is for 120 VAC so the transformer there is not a 66181. Although the manual in the starter set was for a 66181 transformer, the item number on the transformer itself is 66185.

rugaguer, reading through your previous thread about your quest for a more powerful transformer, I am wondering, for 110 VAC users, if transformers for 3 rail O gauge might be a lower cost answer. A Lionel 6-22983 180 Watt Power House transformer has a list price of 89.99 and sells for slightly less. However, as I stated in my original post, when I start to feel clever, it probably means that I have not read the manual

Regards

Hello,
you say 18VAC. This I read 18 V AC, and that's a little more than recommended. Your lamps will last shorter in that way. 16 V is recommended, or less will also suffice.

Don't get confused with the fact that the MS trasformer is 18 VA. Thats the power rating, not the voltage.

Regards,
Lars