Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kisch4  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2006 23:56:03(UTC)
kisch4

Hi all:

I'm running a C-track layout with one Mobile station and 3-4 engines plus lighted cars, so power on the small 18 VA transformer is becoming scare. Hence wondering what everyone's opinion is about using an inexpensive transformer rather than buying the expensive 60 VA version from Marklin.

My understanding is that for digital, you have a constant 16V current on the tracks and you need 8-10 VA per loco. So couldn't just buy an inexpensive 40-50W AC transformer that outputs a constant 16V, hook it up to the connector track and be set to go? From poking around, I found this one:

http://www.altex.com/pro...5_40&products_id=950

Apparently, the 16V type is also used in video-surveillance equipment and those go up to 80-100 Watts. I'd still need to get the right plug, but any electronics store should be able to help with that. So is there anything that should stop me from buying an 80W unit and have enough power to run 6-7 trains plus lights through the same source?

Second question: in some of the postings someone mentioned that there are two versions of the Mobile Station. Could somebody explain how they differ and what the impact is for multi-train control? Also, if I bought one on ebay, how do I know which one I have?

Cheers,
kisch4
Just getting back on with a c-track layout on my dining room table - less dining, more play.
Offline intruder  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2006 00:14:15(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome to the forum, kisch4

Basically you can use any 16V AC transformer. The current to the track is limited by the Mobile Station.
You mention two versions. As far as I know, a 1,2 Ampere verson comes with the starter sets, while the one you can buy separately handles 1,8 A (I think). I do not know if it is possible to see the difference on the outside. If you go into the setup menu it's possible to see which version you have.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2006 00:31:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum,kisch4.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline mz_1414  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2006 00:33:37(UTC)
mz_1414

Welcome to the forum kisch4
Offline mmervine  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2006 01:48:06(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
kisch:

I would suggest a transformer with fault protection such as is sold by several of the DCC manufacturers. I have been using a NCE transformer with my 6021 with good success.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline kisch4  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2006 04:53:29(UTC)
kisch4

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />Welcome to the forum, kisch4

Basically you can use any 16V AC transformer. The current to the track is limited by the Mobile Station.
You mention two versions. As far as I know, a 1,2 Ampere verson comes with the starter sets, while the one you can buy separately handles 1,8 A (I think). I do not know if it is possible to see the difference on the outside. If you go into the setup menu it's possible to see which version you have.

Letting the Mobile Station handle any unusual currents sounds a little dangerous to me. Embarrasing admission that is, the reason I'm trying to find a cheapskate way is that I fried my Mobile Station and while replacing it decided to upgrade to transformer as well (let alone the fact that I might have destroyed that part, too).

So something that exposes the MS to unsuitable electricity is not a risk I'm willing to take at this time.
Just getting back on with a c-track layout on my dining room table - less dining, more play.
Offline kisch4  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2006 04:57:30(UTC)
kisch4

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mmervine
<br />kisch:

I would suggest a transformer with fault protection such as is sold by several of the DCC manufacturers. I have been using a NCE transformer with my 6021 with good success.

r/mark

That sounds great. Can you let me know which NCE model you use? On their website I found a 15V AC 5Amp (no. P515) and a 18V AC 10Amp (no. P1018), both a little off for Marklin purposes. Did you just connect yours directly or modify it somehow to output 16V? Also, how many trains do you run under your setup?
Offline mmervine  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2006 05:11:34(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
kisch:

I use the 15V one which sells for ~$35 at Walthers. At ~3A it puts out ~16V AC. I use it directly with my 6021 and easily run 3-4 trains.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline HueyCE  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2006 21:46:24(UTC)
HueyCE

There are two mobile stations one at 1.2A that comes with the starter sets, which is the type most commonly available on e-bay. They get stripped out of starter sets that are broken up for sale on E-bay. Also a 1.9A version(#60652), this will allow you to run an extra train on the track but is similar to the 1.2A version in all other respects. As Intruder said you can see which version you have by accessing the setup menu.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline hqstu  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2006 03:15:12(UTC)
hqstu

New Zealand   
There are many discussions on here about transformer use, but let me say it one more time:

The transformer output in no way dictates train running capability, when running in digital, be it 6021, delta, Mobile station, Central station.

It is the output of the digital controller that dictates how much load can be applied at any one time.

One could hook up a 300VA 16V transformer to a 1.2 amp mobile station, but it would not perform significantly differently (maybe minor increase in output) than if the 18VA 18V DC power pack was in use.

Remember, the loco "sucks" power out of the controller hence transformer, the transformer does not "push" power out. A 52VA trany running 1 engine through a controller will only be outputting 3-4VA for the engine and a few more VA to power the controller.

This is an important point that people really do need to get... Smile
Cheers

Stuart
New Zealand
Offline pat  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2006 05:27:54(UTC)
pat

Well put Stu,I use a 100va home madetrafo with 2 outputs from jaycar(34 $au) for 5 years without a problem one output is for my lights,lanterns ect,the other for my 6021/6040digital turnout decoders&TT and the ms is powered with the stater trafo it came with it all works fine
BTW welcome to the forum Kisch4Smile
worse things happen at sea
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2006 12:26:22(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
I connected my 6021 control unit yesterday to a trafo from my previous computer speaker system. The speakers are no longer existing, so the trafo is "free of charge". My only concern was the voltage (13 V). The power output is 52VA, so that is no problem. Beleive it or not, it operates the 6021 without any problems - at least for accessories! Since this trafo has a smaller size I can keep it down on the floor and reduce the mess on my desk.

The final task for this trafo will probably be for lights and accessories, perhaps my homemade signals... But it is nice to try and see what you can do with things instead of throwing them away.

*** I know that for safety reasons it is stupid to save money on the power supplies, but in this case the voltage is lower than a standard trafo and the unit is well protected from electric shocks. ***
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline dntower85  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2007 19:21:29(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
so if you add a second mobile station to the system with the 10 to 7 pin adapter does that increase the layouts power by another 1.2amps?
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2007 21:32:01(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dntower85
<br />so if you add a second mobile station to the system with the 10 to 7 pin adapter does that increase the layouts power by another 1.2amps?

Darrin, no - only the stronger one counts. Thus with 2 MS (one 1.9 plus one 1.2) max = 1.9A. Sorry ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline dntower85  
#15 Posted : 03 January 2007 16:27:32(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I connected my 6646 transformer (32VA) to the system last night and ran a test with a multimeter conected to the track. With 2 locs running there was in incress of 1.7 to 2.3 v on the track over the old transformer. the original small balck transfomer pack only had 9.8 to 10.2 v at the track with two locs runnig
I did notice something strange so I stoped the test. The two locs were a my old BR89 and a DB24 that I have convereted to digital. when I would rapidly slow the BR89 (with an esu decoader and hamo magnet) from 75% speed to around 10% both locs would shutter and the lights fiickerd on and off on both locs. I havent wanted to test this with any other locs incase the whole system fries.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 03 January 2007 17:54:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Some dealers have split start packs and sell MS and transformers cheaper.
My view on control equipment and also track is buy the best you can as the good stuff will last a long long time.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Weltenbummler  
#17 Posted : 03 January 2007 20:57:41(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Hi @all,

maybe this link helps.
Unfortunately it is only in German, but the picture shows how to connect a Delta Control 66045 to the MS as a booster.
http://hgh-esn.ath.cx/images/66045_mfx_booster.jpg
That's the way I'm going to hopefully solve my problems.
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline frankie  
#18 Posted : 04 January 2007 14:37:02(UTC)
frankie

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Thomas Duengefeld
<br />Hi @all,

maybe this link helps.
Unfortunately it is only in German, but the picture shows how to connect a Delta Control 66045 to the MS as a booster.
http://hgh-esn.ath.cx/images/66045_mfx_booster.jpg
That's the way I'm going to hopefully solve my problems.

This is interesting, I am wondering if it can be used with a CS too?
Can you please resume at least the big warning, thanks.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline Weltenbummler  
#19 Posted : 04 January 2007 22:05:11(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by frankie

Hi Frankie,

can't say if it works on a CS, but as far as I'm concerned it should.
But please don't take that for granted.

WARNING GIVEN:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST THE CONNECTING TRACK FOR THE MOBILE STATION HAVE A DIRECT OR ANY CONNECTION TO THE TRACKS ON THE BOOSTER CIRCUIT:

And remember that there doesn't have to be any connection between the booster circuits as well.wink
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 04 January 2007 23:37:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by frankie

Firstly, Welcome to the forum Kisch4.

There are other threads on this forum that dealt with this topic, and I think the tentative answer is Yes, a delta controller can be used as a booster with a CS. Thomas' warning also applies - don't allow a connection between each of the booster / CS sections - use the track insulators.

Also, MFX locs will not be recognised on the sections controlled by the delta controller, as the delta controllers do not understand MFX signals.

As for home made transformers, check out Huib Maaskant's site - he has a schematic for a 300va home made AC power supply:

http://www.floodland.nl/trein/info/pwrsply_en.pdf

Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2007 00:07:12(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

First of all, you might want to check out whether you can get a Marklin 60052 transformer for a good price on Ebay or such a site. I bought mine for something like 30 Euro I think, it was new and taken out of one of the larger starter sets. For this price, it's hardly worth experimenting with other (homemade or not) transformers.

Second, the Delta as a booster works great. I tested it only in combination with the MS, but I see really no reason why it would not work with the CS too. Compared to other (homemade) options, this one uses the regular Delta protection for short circuit on the layout - an issue I prefer to be dealt with original M* stuff than experimenting with myself.

As you can see in this post, using the Delta as a booster was actually advertised by Marklin in one of their prospectus.

My own control set is shown below:

UserPostedImage
Offline Darren W  
#22 Posted : 05 January 2007 05:48:49(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Lots of good information in this thread.Smile I was considering picking up a second Mobile Station on Ebay if cheap enough but I did not know there were different versions. Something I will have to consider. What is the comparable output of the Central Station?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 05 January 2007 06:12:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Darren Watalla
<br />What is the comparable output of the Central Station?

Welcome to the forum Darren.

I think the CS output is around 3 Amps.
Offline Weltenbummler  
#24 Posted : 05 January 2007 09:05:22(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Hi Rudi,

your control area looks very nice.

Are the 3 Delta Controllers connected to only one transformer and power 3 circuits?

Just curious, as if so I can save some money and space for powering my delta controllers via only one transformer as wellSmile
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#25 Posted : 05 January 2007 10:57:12(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: Are the 3 Delta Controllers connected to only one transformer and power 3 circuits?

Yes, the 60052 transformer powers all three Delta's. It has more than enough power to run my nine loco's (I usually drive up to four or five at the same time) and the coach lights. All other layout lights, turnouts and electronics are powered by an independent 13.8VDC stabilised power supply. Everything shares the same, solid ground that is a start design to prevent ground loops.

The little black transformer you see powers just the mobile stations - as people already pointed out, it is obligatory to use two different transformers (transformers that feed Delta have one side connected to track ground, transformers that feed MS do not - see the warnings in the M* manuals). The MS do not actually power any train tracks, except the little programming track you see. I only use that to recognise new MFX loco's, or to perform tests.

Each Delta powers around one third of the layout. In fact, it might be a bit overkill, but the Delta's are very inexpensive and this increases manageability. It also makes sure each part has its own power limiter / short circuit correction at nicely limited current values - I prefer to have three independent circuits limited at 2 Amps, for instance, over a singe circuit limited at 6 Amps (I'm not sure these are exactly the values for the various M* parts, I just mention for illustration). It also makes it easier to locate a eventual short-circuit. Bofore I screw all my tracks to the plate, however, I plan to further divide each of the three circuits into around five sub-circuits each, having their own switch.

Best, Rudi
Offline laalves  
#26 Posted : 05 January 2007 12:14:51(UTC)
laalves

I can vouch for the CS/Delta-as-booster combination.

My current controller setup is as follows:

1 x 60052 powering CS (that power programming track and will power normal track, when the layout is finished);

1 x 60052 powering Delta 6604 that powers digital accessories (currently only 3 K83s);

1 x 60052 that will power lamps and other analog consumers, even if controlled by digital means;

1 x 6647 that powers the shadow station (analog section of the layout), including setting a low voltage in the shadow station track to reduce lok speeds to safe level.

You can check this setup out at: https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=3985

This is obviously currently overkill, but it's meant to handle the planned layout. Eventually (if Märklin eventually releases mfx accessories decoders), the 6604 will be replaced by a 60172 mfx booster. Also, I plan to further divide the track power supply in two areas, and consequently will eventually need another 60052 to power a second 60172 booster.

Luís
Offline mrpeachum  
#27 Posted : 21 March 2007 19:38:31(UTC)
mrpeachum

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this is stupid question... With all these non-Marklin transformer options, how do you distinguish between brown and yellow wires of the Marklin transformers? Does +/- even matter (as long as I don't cross them) say if I use the NCE transformer? I would only be using the transformer to power accessories. Thanks!
Follow my progress: http://trains.theerik.com/
Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 22 March 2007 19:39:09(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum,mrpeachum.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline xxup  
#29 Posted : 22 March 2007 23:19:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pat
<br />Well put Stu,I use a 100va home madetrafo with 2 outputs from jaycar(34 $au) for 5 years without a problem ...

Wow! Thanks Pat.. Can you please share the part numbers etc? I am really interested in this idea.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Online H0  
#30 Posted : 22 March 2007 23:27:29(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mrpeachum
<br />Does +/- even matter (as long as I don't cross them) say if I use the NCE transformer? I would only be using the transformer to power accessories. Thanks!

We're talking about AC transformers, so + and - change 100 or 120 times a second.
"Brown" is simply common ground - ground of all transformers can be connected.
For MRR you should only use transformers that are not connected to the ground of the power outlet - and then it doesn't matter which output line is connected to common ground.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mrpeachum  
#31 Posted : 23 March 2007 07:59:07(UTC)
mrpeachum

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by h-zero
We're talking about AC transformers, so + and - change 100 or 120 times a second.
"Brown" is simply common ground - ground of all transformers can be connected.
For MRR you should only use transformers that are not connected to the ground of the power outlet - and then it doesn't matter which output line is connected to common ground.

Thanks for clearing this up for me! :-)
Follow my progress: http://trains.theerik.com/
Offline intruder  
#32 Posted : 23 March 2007 19:45:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome to the forum, Erik.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod