Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ProductionMgr  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2024 03:25:33(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi
I am in the midst of buying various items in Z scale to work towards some sort of layout.
As I posted previously, I am hoping to run at least two trains.
I have the Marklin starter set as the basis of the project.
It includes a transformer which would be fine for one train.
I belong to a HO model railroad club and we get all kinds of donations for our flea market including new in the box transformers.
I could buy one these on the cheap.
If I am to understand, Marklin operates up to a 9 volt range.
Could I use an alternate transformer and just put a VOM on to measure up to 9 volts and then make a stop of some sort to not go past that mark on the throttle.
I am coming to the realisation that Z gauge is expensive and don't want to spend a $100.00 US for a second Marklin transformer.
Thanks for your time.
Offline BenP  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2024 04:34:10(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Provided it's a DC transformer that'll work. Up to 10V is fine, though trains race down the track at 10V. Z accessories connection is ~10V AC.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2024 18:53:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

Sooner or later you will find a controller at the price you are comfortable with. I have seen the new Marklin one for less than $100. The older blue one is also cheaper and still does a good job. These both have terminals to connect lights or switches. I don’t know what type of connections are on the other controllers.

You might consider purchasing a starter set and for a few dollars more get the transformer , track as well as locomotive and rolling stock. Sometimes sellers are not aware of what they are selling on eBay and have set a low price. Your challenge is to recognize a good deal when you see one. You may have to watch for a time but I have discovered it eventually will show up.

While I am telling you there a some good values out there they are just not seen that often. Sellers believe their Marklin Z items are gold right now. This is unfortunate for someone just starting out. All I can say is just wait a bit and the analog controller may lose value as digital conversions take place more and more.

I hope this helps. Wish you all the best. Take good care

Zme

Offline ProductionMgr  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2024 21:00:18(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi Zme
Thanks for you response.
I actually did buy a new starter set with transformer, engine, cars and track.
It was $175.00 plus shipping from Trainz
Since my HO train club is having their bi-annual show in a few weeks, I thought I would look for a second transformer to power a second train.
Maybe one of the vendors might have a bargain Marklin for sale, but I know other transformers come relatively cheap since they are used primarily for HO layouts.
The voltage range typically goes up to 12 on these transformers which was why I asked if one could just be throttled back to the Marklin 9.

Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2024 22:42:05(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello again

Unless a vendor has old stock, it is possible you will not find one from this source. I have heard the transformers with that attached power cord work better.

I believe you will have better luck in the secondary market. I have few options where I am so use eBay perhaps more than I would like. I know there is a certain risk with this but sometimes users are switching to digital and they are getting rid of the old stuff. You never know, but deciding you would only buy from a first hand vendor might not work out. I have seen transformers on eBay fresh out of a starter set, not even used. I think it went for around $65. Shipping is usually an additional cost however.

Best price I found today from new item vendor was $80 + $10 for shipping. It is the new version. Let me know if you would like a link.

Just a thought. Happy hunting.

Zme

Edited by user 26 February 2024 02:29:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ProductionMgr  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2024 02:45:57(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi
As luck would have it, I checked on Craigs list which is a net based site where people buy and sell items.
I found someone selling Marklin transformers # 6606 for $20.00 supposedly new in the box.
Sounds like a very good deal if true.
Is anyone familiar with this model number and if so are they appropriate for Z scale.
Thank you
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2024 04:15:14(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well

I think this one is for Marklin 1 guage.

UserPostedImage

Says it is 16 volt.

Here is the earlier version for Z :

UserPostedImage

Take good care.

Zme
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2024 13:11:20(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: ProductionMgr Go to Quoted Post
Hi
As luck would have it, I checked on Craigs list which is a net based site where people buy and sell items.
I found someone selling Marklin transformers # 6606 for $20.00 supposedly new in the box.
Sounds like a very good deal if true.
Is anyone familiar with this model number and if so are they appropriate for Z scale.
Thank you

Hi ,
Also look for TITAN Trafo made for z Mini Club those are scarce but extremely good ( my humble opinion better than Märklin ones)
UserPostedImage
Good Luck
Regards,
Marklineisenbahn
Offline Mman  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2024 22:26:23(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Silicon diodes are cheap, as a stop gap you can use 12v controllers if you connect pairs of diodes in series with the output.
A pair would be two in parallel anode to cathode so current can pass in each direction. Each pair reduces the voltage by 0.6 volts so 4 pairs in series would reduce 12 volts to (4x0.6=2.4) 9.6volts.
ChrisG
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 29 February 2024 03:16:17(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

FYI. Check eBay, they have a blue mini club controller for less than $50, free shipping.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2024 18:42:55(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
You do not want this 6606 controller for Z scale if it is based on the 6600 shown here. I could not find specs for the 6606.
Offline husafreak  
#12 Posted : 03 March 2024 18:57:00(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
FYI 9V is not a limit for Z gauge. Many Z friendly controllers operate from 12V power supplies and the ones that only use 9V batteries, like the Snail Speed controller, feel a bit underpowered in actual use. Not to say they are bad controllers!
IMHO you should get another one of the type you have. Two same controllers side by side with identical operating characteristics will be more satisfying in operation than a mixed bag. And it will work better if you want to switch your train from one line to the others, with proper circuit isolation you can drive from one to the other, just match the throttles and throw the switch. Z Scale Hobo has a video somewhere showing this, for a NOCH layout and controller if I remember correctly. I have a nice little collection of controllers now and they all have their pluses and minuses, but I have settled on a favorite Marklin controller because they just drive my Marklin trains more reliably.
Beware the used market initially, it is great if you know what you want, if you have gained a lot of knowledge and know your path, but it can be a minefield for new modelers.