Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline intruder  
#151 Posted : 17 June 2007 18:24:16(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hear, hear!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline David Dewar  
#152 Posted : 17 June 2007 18:42:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hobbit. Dead right. By the way have you heard of the latest news. A version of the uncoupler with a small track cleaning rubber on the end.
It will be sometime before being available and coupons for insiders will issued in quarter four for advance orders.
As you say Hobbit now that the subject is out in the open it will be a great relief to those who had to meet at night in small groups in case they were seen to be uncoupler addicts. For myself I feel now is the time to come out and say : for many years I have used a Roco uncoupler : I know this is a terrible admission but I hope it will encourage others to come forward without fear.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline diesel  
#153 Posted : 18 June 2007 17:15:11(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hobbit

Your your words of wisdom are truely encouraging.
I am still in a state of shock after the tremendous response to my initial question on this most fascinating subject.
But the answer will soon be revealed.
At the moment a single uncoupler with a yet to be revealed item number is being transported by air from Germany to Australia.
At this stage the passengers and crew on the aircraft have not been informed of the nature of the cargo that is on their aircraft for fear of an uncontrollable riot to find this parcel.
Security is expected to be very tight when the aircraft lands and the parcel is transported by road.
Expect delays on the roads in the shire during this period as Australia Post puts into place its most lavish ever secret delivery stratergy on the yet to be announced day of arrival.
I will endeavour to keep you posted on the final outcome of this most exciting event.

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by diesel
Offline intruder  
#154 Posted : 19 June 2007 00:12:36(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very good topic SmileSmile

Thanks for bringing it up, Diesel
grumpy old sod
Offline Ross  
#155 Posted : 19 June 2007 02:28:46(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by diesel
<br />Hobbit

Your your words of wisdom are truely encouraging.
I am still in a state of shock after the tremendous response to my initial question on this most fascinating subject.
But the answer will soon be revealed......
Diesel

Diesel, We all look forward to the correct part number. My only hope is that the Marklin marketing department has seen the interest in this simple device and decides to produce them in bright colours to keep all our FD's happy. A limited series will ensure the success of this part as a valuable collectors item.
Ross
Ross
Offline john black  
#156 Posted : 21 June 2007 19:32:13(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />UserPostedImage

Nice group picture from a great convention - congratulations, friends SmileSmileSmile

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 10:33:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline kimballthurlow  
#157 Posted : 21 June 2007 21:30:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi John,
Thanks for the congratulations John. It all started when NevW realised from a forum topic, that one of our Danish members Pserup was passing through. No opportunity lost.Smile

I was thinking about David's comments "now that the subject is out in the open it will be a great relief".

This forum has certainly been a vehicle for wholesome and open expression. To have members admitting to using teaspoons, ear wax removers, Roco uncopulers, icecream sticks and other sundry poker type devices, proves it takes all types to make a world.

As one who is now "outed", it is certainly a great relief. My obsession with uncouplers does not seem so bad.[:I]

Back to playing trains . Now, where did I put that damn uncou........

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Caplin  
#158 Posted : 21 June 2007 21:31:13(UTC)
Caplin

Bob has changed his tie again, I see. Maybe he didn't like the white one Smile

Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline diesel  
#159 Posted : 29 June 2007 11:25:17(UTC)
diesel

Australia   

Well Finally the mystery is solved: My spoon uncoupler arrived today.
What a relief.
I can now stop eating ice cream and get back into the red wine on these cold nights down under here in Australia.

The correct part number is 291610
It is called an Entkuppler.
Price 1 Euro - a great investment.

Bart was correct with this information early in the thread. Thanks

Just in case someone wanted the part number before reading the full thread on this fascinating subject I did an edit into my original question.

Thanks to everyone for a very entertaining thread and hopefully I can stimulate the group with more questions in the future.

Now its time to go to the train room and practice using the "Entkuppler"

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline Caplin  
#160 Posted : 29 June 2007 11:58:35(UTC)
Caplin

Hi Diesel,

Congratulations! and thank you for starting this amusing topic.

Well, does it work?

Now I'm dying to see the "thing" in a picture!

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Online xxup  
#161 Posted : 29 June 2007 13:09:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Actually a picture with an ice cream stick and the 291610 next to it would be really useful too... This way we can apply our arm chair engineering expertise to assessing the relative merits of each uncoupler.. (I am betting that the 291610 can't be used as a tie clip!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline David Dewar  
#162 Posted : 29 June 2007 14:03:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well done Diesel.
You produced a great topic which even allowed some pics of my pals downunder.
Also shows just how much fun model rail is.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline diesel  
#163 Posted : 29 June 2007 15:51:07(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
I have just come back from the train room and now report that the uncoupler is an outstanding success.

Below are some photos:

Firstly the original packaging with item number.
UserPostedImage

Secondly: in comparison to old style color coded uncouplers
UserPostedImage

and finally relaxing with a good red after recoupling the carriages and partly developing a new tie clip!!!
UserPostedImage

and the night is still young.

Diesel

Offline Caplin  
#164 Posted : 29 June 2007 19:55:32(UTC)
Caplin

What a success!

I am just thinking that it would be easier to operate if the handle of the entkuppler had been placed vertical [^]

No, no, I take it back. It might keep the topic alive biggrin.

Beautiful wagons. I especially like the one to the right, because I remember standing on the end platform of one alike as a kid. There was a sideline from Copenhagen called "Slangerupbanen" that had this kind of wagons behind the steamer. Unfortunately I do not remember the steamer, only that you got smoke and dirt in your eyes.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Caplin
Offline Bart  
#165 Posted : 30 June 2007 01:21:52(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Congratulations Diesel, on your most successful purchase.
In retrospect, I must admit that the part# was a wild guess, and I'm very happy that you have volunteered to solve the enigma.
*Bart
Offline David Dewar  
#166 Posted : 30 June 2007 01:31:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Benny. The Roco uncoupler I use is vertical and does as you say make it easier to use. At the risk of keeping this going much longer am I right in saying that the uncoupler diesel has is in fact a gauge for measuring the height of the coupler from the track? I have one which I think got with the single bar electrical uncoupler set.

David
Offline Webmaster  
#167 Posted : 30 June 2007 03:07:44(UTC)
Webmaster

So Diesel, which works best? The black plastic one or those arty-fancy colored cheap "pirated replicas" of the official marklin-users.net uncoupler?

I must say that it is great that the forum also brought members together for an official meeting and brainstorming session at nevw's, including the alternative design for an uncoupler. The most important thing to observe though, is that the catering seemed to be excellent. Future meetings between users should pay attention to the fact that the catering of food & drinks is of an utterly important value to the overall meeting success.

However, I cannot endorse the design suggestion for the alternative uncoupler as it is better suited for cleaning tasks than uncoupling safely. If used extensively for uncoupling, resulting in the wear & tear we see in the second picture, it may be tangled into the couplers and will not show the same reliable uncoupling characteristics as the original marklin-users.net(c) uncoupler does.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline nevw  
#168 Posted : 30 June 2007 03:14:49(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Juhan,
after Further testing at our top secret test facility we came to the same conclusion. The MU-N uncoupler was far superior.
We all concur that the catering (Food and Booze) must be first class for an enjoyable successful meeting.

PS For our next meeting we are considering inviting David (the Scott) to attend, but only if he brings a case of the Family product
to assist with the catering . (Dewers Fine Scotch)
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Webmaster  
#169 Posted : 30 June 2007 03:26:35(UTC)
Webmaster

Yeah, I got the results earlier - nothing is secret for me, your facility is actually monitored by the HQ - in case you didn't know... biggrin

The Scots make excellent beveradge products indeed...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline nevw  
#170 Posted : 30 June 2007 04:01:26(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Now I know what the shiny little black things are in the ceiling of the lab. biggrinbiggrin (Text Smileys so as not to exceed quota) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Ross  
#171 Posted : 30 June 2007 04:03:28(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Well done diesel, all we need now is for Marklin to take up my earlier suggestion of multiple colours to keep our FD's happy. biggrin
Ross
Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline nevw  
#172 Posted : 30 June 2007 04:05:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I like the Uncoupler Fluid. Should taste better than Smoke Oil
Offline Bart  
#173 Posted : 30 June 2007 10:47:17(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Ah, this brings up an entirely new and interesting topic: the Uncoupler Fluid.
I usually do use David's, and it does not require much volume to get uncoupled
*Bart
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bart
Offline David Dewar  
#174 Posted : 30 June 2007 15:20:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
No problem with the supply of the water of life. Dewars scotch is made in Perth about 50 miles from me but I regret that they are not relations. Compared with the average priced whisky it is pretty good stuff but cant compare to a fine single malt.
It would be great to travel to the next meeting of the uncoupler association and even my wife who is not really into model railways would love to go.
Once we solve the problems of the cost, what to do with the dogs, who will help my aging mother with shopping etc, can we find anyone to take over Sheila's business,I dont like flying so will drink all the Scotch before touching down etc etc.
However all is not lost : I will buy a lottery ticket and if I win...here we come.

David
Offline intruder  
#175 Posted : 02 July 2007 15:16:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I am in Switzerland right now, and I have maaged to get hold of a unmodified wooden coupler of this kind:
UserPostedImage

I will bring it with me when my wife and I visit the Märklin Erlebniswelt on Wednesday July 4th from approx noon.

Diesel:
I am glad you finally got hold on the original one. Thanks for the spare part number.
grumpy old sod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by intruder
Offline Zora la rousse  
#176 Posted : 02 July 2007 19:48:01(UTC)
Zora la rousse

I always wanted to know were that device was used for.....
You are never too late to become a Märklin fan.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zora la rousse
Offline Steven86  
#177 Posted : 04 July 2007 01:29:31(UTC)
Steven86

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />To try to end the everlasting discussion about Austrailan beer or icecream:

UserPostedImage

This was shot in Brussels last night, between Grand Place and Brussels Zentral railway station.

I <u>never</u> saw a car with australianbeer.xx, which should mean that icecream is more important to the Australians than beer.

OMG That's either an anorexic Kangaroo or a Chernobyl ferret...

[:0]

biggrin As a Belgian, I' d say. No contest at all. Go for Australian ice cream and stick with Belgian Beer (with a Capital B) wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Steven86
Offline nevw  
#178 Posted : 05 July 2007 09:07:09(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />I am in Switzerland right now, and I have maaged to get hold of a unmodified wooden coupler of this kind:
UserPostedImage

I will bring it with me when my wife and I visit the Märklin Erlebniswelt on Wednesday July 4th from approx noon.

Svein,
Lucky Buying. It is not very often that you can find a New Unmodified Uncoupler of that type. I thought that Benny had cornered the entire Worlds stock of those.
It looks in Pristine Condition and has never uncoupled a Car. biggrin[:p]
Offline David Dewar  
#179 Posted : 05 July 2007 14:04:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My wife has found a new use for uncouplers as above. She hangs washing on a rope with it. Most odd but may increase sales of uncouplers of this type. Best just to lay the washing on the rocks to dry I think.

David
Offline Caplin  
#180 Posted : 05 July 2007 22:50:22(UTC)
Caplin

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Gert-Jan  
#181 Posted : 05 July 2007 22:58:27(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:<br />Originally posted by intruder

UserPostedImage

I <u>never</u> saw a car with australianbeer.xx, which should mean that icecream is more important to the Australians than beer.

Not neccesarily...I've never seen a car in Amsterdam with cannabis leaves on it neither Cool
Mosty era III DB.
Offline Purellum  
#182 Posted : 05 July 2007 23:10:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Gert-Jan  
#183 Posted : 05 July 2007 23:51:44(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />Have a look, Gert-Jan:

http://blogvanbelle.blog...006/11/cannabis-car.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/s.../cannabiscar_010522.html

Per.

I stand corrected...perhaps I did see one but thinking it was Canadian biggrin
Mosty era III DB.
Offline Bart  
#184 Posted : 06 July 2007 00:44:37(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />My wife has found a new use for uncouplers as above. She hangs washing on a rope with it. Most odd but may increase sales of uncouplers of this type. Best just to lay the washing on the rocks to dry I think.
David

O-Oh David, no good.
My wife once used my SNCF BB12000 (37332) to iron the laundy.
Better use the pump on the village square, indeed.
*Bart
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bart
Offline David Dewar  
#185 Posted : 06 July 2007 01:02:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bart
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />My wife has found a new use for uncouplers as above. She hangs washing on a rope with it. Most odd but may increase sales of uncouplers of this type. Best just to lay the washing on the rocks to dry I think.
David

O-Oh David, no good.
My wife once used my SNCF BB12000 (37332) to iron the laundy.
Better use the pump on the village square, indeed.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin Quite right Bart. These ladies must understand that model rail is much more important than laundry. Dont you agree Zora[:I]

David
Offline nevw  
#186 Posted : 06 July 2007 02:24:31(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
DAvid,
for the ladies It is allowable to launder "Smalls" frequently as long as it does not interfere with the Model Rail
Offline nevw  
#187 Posted : 18 September 2007 23:51:13(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I see today the Toy Trunk Railroad is rushing an Hand Uncoupler to the Hospital. Must be an emergency in the OLDER childrens ward.
biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline intruder  
#188 Posted : 19 September 2007 00:37:45(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
During our visit to Switzerland this summer, my wife and I saw some uncouplers in a shop.

Actually they had two sizes. The normal ones were already upgraded, and a smaller version, probably only for small cars, were not upgraded yet.

UserPostedImage

CHF 8,90 for 200 uncouplers - that's cheap!
But 7,50 for the small unmodified ones - not so good.
grumpy old sod
Offline David Dewar  
#189 Posted : 19 September 2007 01:03:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Svein Well done for tracking down a good supply at excellent prices. I have still to work out the cost of one uncoupler in Euros but if we sell at 3 euros ech we can make fortune. The small unmodified ones can be used for starter sets and exchanged for the larger model for a small fee.

My wife reckons she can sell tham as clothes pegs for hanging out washing...these ladies have some crazy ideas.

David
Offline john black  
#190 Posted : 19 September 2007 01:11:30(UTC)
john black

United States   
biggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline intruder  
#191 Posted : 19 September 2007 01:46:16(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
It's only one big problem with your business proposal, David:

I forgott to buy them! I just made the photo and left the place [:(!][:(][V]
grumpy old sod
Offline David Dewar  
#192 Posted : 19 September 2007 13:42:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Yuk I bet Nev and Adrian have bought the lot and have now patented them as the new Aussie uncoupler.

Never mind Svein you are now chief European buyer of uncouplers so please continue the search.
Meanwhile I have found us premises next to the plot John found in Monument Valley and we can have an open day (send flyers with the Insider Magazine which reaches Insiders two days after the open day)
How can we fail.

David
Offline intruder  
#193 Posted : 19 September 2007 14:11:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I'll do my best, David.
grumpy old sod
Offline nevw  
#194 Posted : 21 September 2007 09:42:41(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Sorry David,
Being incapacited i did not havethe time to buy up the stocks,
doing a hunt peck wth left hand is slow and laborous.
to save energy and time, thanks for all the emails before surgery.
it went well and i am now home
welcome to our new members.
nev

Online xxup  
#195 Posted : 21 September 2007 10:45:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Sorry David,
Being incapacited i did not havethe time to buy up the stocks,
doing a hunt peck wth left hand is slow and laborous.

Teach you to be doing Karate on Besser blocks at your age!biggrinbiggrin At least you still have your left hand to change the gears while you drive.. [:I]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline intruder  
#196 Posted : 21 September 2007 20:19:10(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I am happy for you, Nev!
grumpy old sod
Offline john black  
#197 Posted : 21 September 2007 23:23:16(UTC)
john black

United States   
Glad you are o.k., Nev Smile

Offline nevw  
#198 Posted : 22 September 2007 01:45:34(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
thanx all, dont have to change gears, have a chauffer to do that.
feeling good, no pain if i do not move it much. only 3 days should be good in 3 weeks.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Online xxup  
#199 Posted : 22 September 2007 02:08:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Ah ha - notice how the Karate rumour was not denied! biggrinbiggrin

I guess that means that you are not doing much with the z-gauge uncoupler design either...

Take care young one.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#200 Posted : 22 September 2007 02:10:58(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
no left that one for rowan.