Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Aussie Susan  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2023 02:11:05(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
(If this is the wrong forum, my apologies and please tell me which is the more appropriate place for a new member.)

My starting point: I have an old analog setup that has not been used in 50+ years and I want to get it back running to pass on to my grandchildren. I have 3 engines, a number of points (turnouts), signals, contact rails
etc. and two controllers. I have been able to create a layout that allows all 3 trains to run simultaneously on common track sections with reversing loops etc and not have the trains crash (i.e. a'fully' automated setup).

My goal: convert the engines to digital and run the setup pretty much as before, possibly controlled by a computer (of some form later on).

My approach is to buy a starter kit and some 'm track to c track' adapter rails plus some converter kits for the existing engines. Once that is running then expand as time, budget and my capabilities allow.

Looking at the various starter kits, they seem to come with 2 types of controllers: one is a wireless (infrared?) one and the other is a box that is connected via wires to the track. (I've probably got this wrong but I hope you understand - I'm learning!).

My question is: which type of controller is the best for my purposes?

This will guide my choice of starter kit (I'd prefer once with points included but that is not necessary)

Also if the general approach is not the best, then please feel free to suggest a better one.

Susan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Aussie Susan
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2023 12:24:28(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Sounds like a good approach.

Any starter-set with an MS2 controller would be fine.
2, maybe 4 M<>C adapter tracks should do the trick.

Complete kits for digitalizing engines already exist, but you will need to know the exact model number of the loco, in order to pick the right kit. Some electrical understanding and soldering skills are needed.

You say that this is for the children, so you COULD go for the cheaper starter-sets with the infrared controllers, but then you would have problems digitalizing you older engines, as you woulnd´t be able to read/write the configuration (CV) registers of the new decoders.

The MS2 will NOT be enough for computer-control. For that you would need the CS3.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2023 13:34:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Susan
A warm welcome to our forum if it is not too late
Your approach is very sound I think.

Infra Red (IR) versus Mobile Station (MS)
- with IR, you can drive maximum 4 trains and nothing else. You have a wireless remote but need to change batteries periodically. Only 2 trains simultaneously. This is perfect for smaller children (5 to 8). Only four fonctions by loco
- with MS (60657 now) you can drive up to 40 trains (not simultaneously of couse, only 3 max). You can also set your points from afar. This is almost a professional start. More expensive but much better. Up to 32 fonctions by loco

Lasdt year, I purchased myserlf a 29243 starter set
https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/29243
The loco and cars are beauties, finely detailled and there is an oval with 2 points
Here is the train in question
Sans titre.png

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2023 20:36:52(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

Sounds like a great project. I would recommend a starter set withe the Mobile Station also. The infrared really is for small children.

Contrary to what is thought, you can have computer control with Mobile Station 2. I have that setup. Ot will require very affordable non Märklin equipment, but can be done, is very easy and works great.

Also my experience is that one digi converted loco with sounds, lights and smoke require around 0,2 amps, so with MS2 you can have roughly six locos running at the same time.

-Eino
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Aussie Susan  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2023 02:25:21(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
Thank you all for your comments/suggestions.

As for the electrical understanding and soldering skills, (not to show off but) I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering (getting a bit old now but the electrons are still the same!!) and also I hold the top level Amateur Radio license for here in Australia. I create my own microcontroller based circuits (although I am careful not to go too small with the components).

As for when the grandchildren get it, that will depend on their interests when they are a bit older and I have everything sorted out. I suspect a few years yet (they are 4 and 6!).

I will investigate the items you have suggested and start to become familiar with all of the code numbers and acronyms.

Cheers

Susan
Offline IanC  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2023 17:20:58(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Susan,

Yes, I'd go for a starter-set with the MS2 too. There are vouchers with money off three of the starter sets this side of Christmas.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2023 22:47:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Susan,

Yes, I'd go for a starter-set with the MS2 too. There are vouchers with money off three of the starter sets this side of Christmas.

IanC

The deal IanC refers to is the Marklin Christmas offer. I don't know if any of the Marklin dealers in Australia will honour this, but you should be able to get a set from a German dealer using the coupon.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DV  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2023 23:57:55(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Aussie Susan Go to Quoted Post

As for when the grandchildren get it, that will depend on their interests when they are a bit older and I have everything sorted out. I suspect a few years yet (they are 4 and 6!).

Cheers

Susan

Never to early to start them off.

I have 4 grandsons and they all got a starter set for Christmas when they turned 6.

Two are in Canberra and two here in Adelaide, so when we all get together for Christmas here in Adelaide, I take them down to our club and 'play' trains. They are now 16, 14, 13 and 12, and even at the older age are still interested in 'trains', and regularly ask me when am I going to help them to build their layouts, which I reply 'ask your parents'BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Actually you could get your grandsons started on the Märklin 'My World', which is how I started my grandsons, and as they got older, they received a Märklin HO set.

Anyway, something to contemplate.
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline cintrans  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2023 00:03:06(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   

....I hold the top level Amateur Radio license for here in Australia.......

Cheers

Susan

Hi Susan

Great to see a VK here on the Forum!

73's de P43A, Jean-Pierre

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Aussie Susan  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2023 03:01:04(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
QSL VK3ANZ
Offline Aussie Susan  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2024 05:38:59(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
Gradually getting my act together on this.
I have 3 old analog engines and I see that there are a number of different conversion kits available.
What I'm looking for is a cross-reference somewhere that shows which digital conversion kits can be used with which engines.
I'm thinking I'll need to update the motors in all (but I'm guessing the physical size is the same) but I'm not sure about the space for the decoder kits, especially in my smallest engine (I think it was model 3000 and is now called a 30000).
Is there any document or table that shows what motors and converter kits are suitable for each engine?
Susan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Aussie Susan
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 15 January 2024 06:02:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I have 3 old analog engines and I see that there are a number of different conversion kits available.
What I'm looking for is a cross-reference somewhere that shows which digital conversion kits can be used with which engines.
I'm thinking I'll need to update the motors in all (but I'm guessing the physical size is the same) but I'm not sure about the space for the decoder kits, especially in my smallest engine (I think it was model 3000 and is now called a 30000).
Is there any document or table that shows what motors and converter kits are suitable for each engine?
Susan

Susan, the 3000 loco (small disk armature) uses a 60943 conversion set, so any loco with this motor will use the same conversion set, if you have a 3 pole drum collector, every loco with a drum collector will be using a 60941, any loco with a large disk armature it will be the conversion set 60944, this set has 2 options, a BR 01 can not be converted with this set and there is a special brush plate which you need a E188838 but don't pay a extortion rate.

there is a cheaper way out but my last experience has been when the loco is at low speed it can't handle it to run smoothly, by this I mean buying an ESU permanent magnet and leave all your existing components in the loco except the coil magnet.,

the moment you go digital the question arises which decoder will I be using, naturally sticking with Märklin you would prefer Märklin digital decoders but if you like to look outside the box another candidate could be an ESU decoder, these are compatible with Märklin (MFX) and with a lokprogrammer you can program the decoder with ease., of course there is also a Märklin decoder programmer available.,
seeing its eventually for your grand children may be stick with Märklin.

regards.,

John from the West Coast
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline einotuominen  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2024 06:35:41(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Susan

Hi Susan!

Converting the Märklin 3000 will be a fun project for sure, BUT, the latest brand new model cost roughly the same as what you would need to pay foe the motor and decoder separately: https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/30000

Also some of the new diesel locos cost about the same as acquiring the analogue loco, decoder and motor.

Different story with steam locos.

Anyway, for the best running experience, I would suggest ESU version 5 decoders. Either Lokpilot, Loksound or Loksound Micro (which is an excelent for it’s small size).

I’ve converted roughly 30 locos from analogue and Delta to modern digital and must admit that on some of them, buying the new loco would have been a better solution.

However, I have whole heartedly enjoyed the work itself and it is an important thing to me.

BR,
Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2024 09:14:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Susan, the 3000 loco (small disk armature) uses a 60943 conversion set, so any loco with this motor will use the same conversion set
Basically yes. The 3000 is one of the examples where the screws need some filing to fit.
Märklin provided cross-reference lists with notes in the days when the conversion sets were 60901, 60903, and 60904. Those lists contain notes where special work like filing is required.
Those lists were also included in the old catalogues from that time. Catalogues that can be found as PDFs on the Internet.

See also:
https://www.marklin-user...ted-documents#post636619
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2024 14:46:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Susan

Others have given you good advice and links for conversions. I would strongly recommend doing the motor upgrade rather than using the ESU magnets and keeping the 3 pole motor. The 5 pole motor in the upgrade is a much smoother performer. Whatever you do, make sure to clean and lubricate the locos before fitting your decoders.

In relation to decoders, I would suggest you stick with standard ESU lokpilot or Loksound, or else with the Marklin mld/3 (nonsound - equivalent to a Lokpilot) or msd/3 (equivalent to a Loksound). Get them with a 21 pin mounting pcb would be my recommendation and any of the above decoders will fit the same 21 pin mounting pcb. They will all mount in the space the reversing relay occupies. Using the 21 pin mounting PCB makes swapping a decoder much easier if you do have a decoder failure, as it just plugs in without needing to unsolder/solder the wiring.

The mounting PCB will allow you to solder wires to the PCB without fear of damaging a decoder (unless you manage to totally screw up the wiring). IIRC the Marklin decoder kits come with a mounting pcb, the ESU ones you need to buy the pcb separately.

If you wish to go for a sound decoder, get your dealer to load the sound file of choice, otherwise you need to purchase a lokprogrammer for ESU decoders or a Marklin 60971 programmer for Marklin decoders. For your purposes it may be enough to purchase the Marklin decoders that come with generic sound files for the different types of loco.

Once the sound file is loaded there are all sorts of things can be set up using the CVs in the decoder. There is a Loksound email group on groups.io which has some very knowledgeable people contributing.

Personally I would go with ESU decoders, partly because of the Loksound email forum. Marklin don't appear to have been quite so free with information when it comes to tweaking their decoders, but for your purposes there may be nothing in it, you may well find that the generic sound files in Marklin decoders are quite suitable for your purposes. The prices of the two ranges are comparable for comparable items.

For getting suitable items in Australia I would suggest you talk to Nathans Trains in Brisbane. He is a Marklin dealer and has quite extensive stocks of all items.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Aussie Susan  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2024 23:08:27(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
As always a lot of information to get my brain around.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond - it is much appreciated.
Susan (who will no doubt be back with more questions in time...)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Aussie Susan
Offline Aussie Susan  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2024 03:09:14(UTC)
Aussie Susan

Australia   
OK - I think I just about have what I need but I'd like to get a 'sanity check' before I start ordering the wrong things.

My old engines are:
- 3000 - now called the 30000 - looks like the cost of a new one is about the same as a conversion kit so I'm taking that path
- 3021 - now called 30210;
=> 60944 conversion kit for the motor
=> 60972 mfx decoder
- 3937 - this was a kit that gave you a 3037 (???) and it looks like the 37108 but mine is green, not blue (I don't think this is significant)
=> 60921 conversion kit - I've seen references to this in this forum but I can't find it in the various model shops i've checked
=> ???? Decoder

So:
1) can I use the 60944 conversion kit for both the (old numbered) 3021 an 3937 engines?
2) ditto for the 60972 decoder?

Please let me know if these will work or correct me with the appropriate parts.

(By way of context, I'm looking to get the 29792 starter pack - pls 2 74462 and 74491 items to allow remtote control of the point, plus 2 24951 so I can ultimately connect my old M-track)

Thanks

Susan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2024 14:12:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
OK - I think I just about have what I need but I'd like to get a 'sanity check' before I start ordering the wrong things.

My old engines are:
- 3000 - now called the 30000 - looks like the cost of a new one is about the same as a conversion kit so I'm taking that path

Hi Susan
Note that the models with 5 digit catalogue numbers have been re-engineered to use more modern components, and won't (necessarily) have the same motor as the original. I know the 30000 has been through at least two phases, with early ones having a field coil like the 3000, but later ones have a permanent magnet and later model decoder.

In the case of the 30000 I think you will find it has a lot more detail than the 3000, a feature enabled by better plastic molding capabilities than in the 1950s when the 3000 was first issued.

I am not familiar with the exact motor kits required for the other items.

You are correct that the 39xx series kits build up into the corresponding 30xx model (with subtle internal differences). There were quite a number of these kits available at the time.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline cstt  
#19 Posted : 18 February 2024 22:49:56(UTC)
cstt

Denmark   
Hi all
Great thread. I am in the same situation as Susan, so all the good advise in here are greatly appreciated.
I have a good number of old M tracks and a starter kit (Märklin 29532), unfortunately with a MS1, from which I will try to
build a layout (including getting a MSII)
I have 2 locos converted to digital, and 2 more waiting.
My question is, can I use the old electrical turnouts, if I get a decoder for them, and is there a descent guide following with the decoder?
If I want to digitize the layout over time, is it possible to run some tournout with switchboxes and others with decoders if I use a powersupply only for the non-digitized turnouts
/Carsten, Denmark

Offline einotuominen  
#20 Posted : 18 February 2024 22:56:41(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: cstt Go to Quoted Post
Hi all
Great thread. I am in the same situation as Susan, so all the good advise in here are greatly appreciated.
I have a good number of old M tracks and a starter kit (Märklin 29532), unfortunately with a MS1, from which I will try to
build a layout (including getting a MSII)
I have 2 locos converted to digital, and 2 more waiting.
My question is, can I use the old electrical turnouts, if I get a decoder for them, and is there a descent guide following with the decoder?
If I want to digitize the layout over time, is it possible to run some tournout with switchboxes and others with decoders if I use a powersupply only for the non-digitized turnouts
/Carsten, Denmark

Hello,

Yes. Any turnout you wish to digitize you can use the Märklin M83 decoder. It suoports four switches per decoder. You connect the yellow and two blue wires to this M83 box and also the track power.

-Eino
Offline cstt  
#21 Posted : 18 February 2024 23:04:54(UTC)
cstt

Denmark   
So I don't need the Märklin 74462 decoder for each turnout or have I misunderstood you. I know I need the M83, but I also thought I had to get the 74462.
/Carsten
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 18 February 2024 23:18:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cstt Go to Quoted Post
So I don't need the Märklin 74462 decoder for each turnout or have I misunderstood you. I know I need the M83, but I also thought I had to get the 74462.
/Carsten

No, it is one or the other is required. They both perform the same function.

However if using an ms1 controller, this will not control points and signals, but the ms2 can do so.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 19 February 2024 06:18:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Susan, as mentioned before you can't combine catalogue numbers from 1 era to another e.g. 3000 to 30000 and this goes for all locos which have been re-engineered and now have a drum armature instead of a small flat disk armature and in some cases maybe even a DC motor., 3000, 3001, 3003, 3005, 3031, 3032 need a 60943 conversion set.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Wolfram_Stn  
#24 Posted : 19 February 2024 09:48:08(UTC)
Wolfram_Stn

France   

My old engines are:
=> 60944 conversion kit for the motor
=> 60972 mfx decoder
- 3937 - this was a kit that gave you a 3037 (???) and it looks like the 37108 but mine is green, not blue (I don't think this is significant)
=> 60921 conversion kit - I've seen references to this in this forum but I can't find it in the various model shops i've checked
=> ???? Decoder

So:
1) can I use the 60944 conversion kit for both the (old numbered) 3021 an 3937 engines?
2) ditto for the 60972 decoder?

Hello Susan,

as said some others, do not transpose ancient numbers in new, it's not the same even if it's similar.
30210 is reengineered in the same body, and 37018 is just simply a new construction, not more similar to the ancient model than a VW New Beetle to a 1960 VW Beetle.

Yes, your 3021 needs a 60944 motor.
Your 3937, yes it's a kit of 3037, you have to look at the motor. Because, for number of these locos that were in production for a long time, the motor has changed. Internet listings often only show one version, generally the latest...

I have two E41, one in the first series (it's a 3034 but it differs from 3037 only by the painting), with a little lever for manual action on the reverse relais, and it has the SFCM (small flat collector motor), the same as in your 3000. So it will need a 60943 kit. But the other, from mid 70's, has a DCM (drum collector motor) and will need the 60941 kit.

The DCM motor seems similar to the kit motor which has a drum collector, too - but the DCM rotor has only three poles (kit: 5), and is tinier than the kit motor.

Both locos are quite simple to convert, the only thing to watch is to avoid all contact from electronic parts to the loco body or chassis, because these are under rail tension, and it's deadly dangerous for the decoder.

About the lights : you have several options.
The simple option : keep the bulb lights, connect only the "LV" and "LR" wires in place of the existing cable. The circuit is made by the chassis. Lights will be less bright (that's fine), but under some conditions they will twinkle a little bit. I am sensitive to this but I never found my loco lights twinkling...
More sophisticated: you may find some fittings for bulbs type Märklin E610080 - they are proposed by Märklin, as E604180. (With these numbers you may find them on the net.) The fittings stick in the old fittings for screwed bulbs, and you rely them to the decoder by orange wire and LV/LR (LV in front, LR in rear).
I do like the bulb light, which is warmer than LED light and more similar to the real loco light, with bulbs.
Even more sophisticated but not a problem for you : replace the light conductor by big LED bicolor. These give you the possibility to light the red train end lights, when the loco goes without train from one station to another, or when it pushes a reversible train. Both, E41 and V200, were fitted for reversible trains. I did not do this up tu now, I am very old school in these things.
I do not need to explain you that LED lightings need resistances...

Your choice, be glad with it. Wink
Offline cstt  
#25 Posted : 11 March 2024 18:59:31(UTC)
cstt

Denmark   
So it's been a while since my last post in here.
I have managed to get my hands on a MS2 with 36A trafo and I will be using it with a Digikeijs DR4018 I just found laying around.
The basics are setup, and all the connections is OK, I can switch my M turnouts with the MS2.
Or, almost switch. It is working fine when switching to one side, but not so much to the other.
I have tried to clean the turnouts and I will also try to lubricate them with acid free oil.
But I cant stop wonder if it is because the current from my MS2/Digikaijs is not enough to really activate the magnet in the turnout.
If it has something to do with not enough current, I wonder if I can put a seperate trafo on for feeding the yellow cable. Actually I tried it, but it didn't work,
except for light in the lantern
Does anyone in here have some good advice or is it the wrong thread?
Furthermore I am wondering how I can get the trains to activate my tournouts at specific points on my layout, I have several M switchtracks I used for that purpose when running analog, and I wonder if I can utilize those in some way.

/Carsten