Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rytter  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2023 19:51:10(UTC)
rytter

Denmark   
I am in the process of building my first fully digital layout, and I have run into some question regarding my shadow staging yard. I am running Märklin C track and using a CS3+ as controller
I would like some stop sections to make sure the trains doesn't leave without permission, and feedback sections to detect if the tracks are occupied.

The image link is how I plan to do it, but my question goes to if there is a better or cheaper way to make this happen? I have 7 tracks so I would need two m84 decoders and those aren't free...
Can the CS3 do some fancy programming to do this instead prehaps? Are how about brake sections, is a decoder required or can the CS3 do some magic here also?

stop section w. feedback.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rytter
Offline heinrichhess  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2023 20:01:01(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2023 20:36:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rytter
Yes, your drawing is perfect

For automatic operation your need feed-back sensors

Using C track, they are done easily by cutting the small bridge at each extremity of each rail and install, at each extremity, on the proper side a red Märklin insulator 074030.

Because you have a CS3+, the easiest is to use the occupancy technique so roughly one train length for the occupancy detection zone on both the stop section and thefew rails before it.

On the CS3+ you may define events to send incoming trains to a free "block" (the zone before and including the stop section)
Another event associated with the exit signal and block will make that, when one train leaves this block, one of the staging yard trains is started and its block made free.

Sounds complicated but it is not.

Simply because, you may create an event using the provided recorder (you turn the recorder on, you issue all needed commands (switches, signal). When finished stop the recording, exit the edit mode and test it.

This is fun.

Here is a tutorial on automation

Best of luck to you
Jean
PS I love automation. Here is my layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2023 14:09:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Doesn't this essentially do what a signal stop section does? Why would you need an M84 in addition to a digital signal, when a CS3 can recieve feedback and an event can control it?
Does it replicate what a braking module does, and make the block longer?
Offline rytter  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2023 14:16:48(UTC)
rytter

Denmark   
Thanks for the video @JohnJean, this was exactly what I need to get going :D.

@marklinist - If using digital signals a m84 is not needed for block control, but as the m84 costs the same as a single digital márklin signal, I am going with the cheap option ;) And using hobby series signals on the visible stretches. The m84 can be used to control light and motor functions, etc. from the CS3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rytter
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2023 07:18:00(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: rytter Go to Quoted Post
If using digital signals a m84 is not needed for block control, but as the m84 costs the same as a single digital márklin signal, I am going with the cheap option ;) And using hobby series signals on the visible stretches. The m84 can be used to control light and motor functions, etc. from the CS3

…but in digital mode, you don’t need - and even shouldn’t have - powerless sections on your layout controlled by an m84 or any digital signal. When your engine arrives to the feedback section where you want the engine to stop, the CS3 simply tells the engine to stop (and/or to shut off motor sound or other engine functions).

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2023 07:28:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rytter Go to Quoted Post
If using digital signals a m84 is not needed for block control, but as the m84 costs the same as a single digital márklin signal, I am going with the cheap option ;) And using hobby series signals on the visible stretches. The m84 can be used to control light and motor functions, etc. from the CS3

…but in digital mode, you don’t need - and even shouldn’t have - powerless sections on your layout controlled by an m84 or any digital signal. When your engine arrives to the feedback section where you want the engine to stop, the CS3 simply tells the engine to stop (and/or to shut off motor sound or other engine functions).

Smile

Hi PeFu
Getting rid of stop section is a great idea BUT the CS3 (or CS2 or ECOS) does not follow the trains (keep note of which loco is where unlike Rocrail or its equivalent).
So except some special cases with only 2 or 3 locomotives, tracking locos on the layout is just flat impossible.
I am a big fan of software-controlled trains but isn't it a different story?
Cheers
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2023 11:14:57(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi
I tend to agree with PeFu. The powerless part is not required. The locos does not accidentally start running unless the operator or cs3 tell them to go.
If in a shadowstation(unvisible) it it probably no big deal without sound and lights on. Only advantage with the powerless section is that you get a double safety against human error. You both need to set power on track section and tell the loco to start moving… will only work if you have told loco to stop before you shut off power to track. If you only shut of track power when loco is running it will resume with same speed as soon as track power is restored.

Finally to johnjeanb: I fully agree that rockrail etc can simplify and perform more complicated automation than we can do with cs3. Still the software does not track the locos, it assumes that the loco it sent towards a feedback contact is the one that triggers it. If a turnout fails or a train loose a wagon (triggering the said contact track) I assume the software will assume it was the train it sent there that has arrived. And automation will fail.
Regards
Thor who have lot of fun making automation with cs3.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline rytter  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2023 11:57:48(UTC)
rytter

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I tend to agree with PeFu. The powerless part is not required. The locos does not accidentally start running unless the operator or cs3 tell them to go.
If in a shadowstation(unvisible) it it probably no big deal without sound and lights on. Only advantage with the powerless section is that you get a double safety against human error. You both need to set power on track section and tell the loco to start moving… will only work if you have told loco to stop before you shut off power to track. If you only shut of track power when loco is running it will resume with same speed as soon as track power is restored.

Finally to johnjeanb: I fully agree that rockrail etc can simplify and perform more complicated automation than we can do with cs3. Still the software does not track the locos, it assumes that the loco it sent towards a feedback contact is the one that triggers it. If a turnout fails or a train loose a wagon (triggering the said contact track) I assume the software will assume it was the train it sent there that has arrived. And automation will fail.
Regards

But if not using a stop section, then a brake module is needed. This would be a much prettier but also way more expensive solution. I only know of Viessmann 5232 and Márklin 72442.
Offline Tie  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2023 15:37:27(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
As long as you have a cs3 no brake module is needed. You can both adjust the acceleration/deacceleration in the lok decoder with the cs3. You can also program a lover speed to be set as loco enters the feedback contact. To smooth it further set the event to wait a certain amount of time and then set even lower speed or stop. Repeat above if required. Alternative:
I have a feedback switch in both ends and in middle of each block. In event i program reduced speed on entering contact. Crawl speed on middle contact and stop on last contact. If you need a more abrupt stop after crawl Use the switch direction command. This will override the deacceleration programmed in the decoder. Make sure to switch twice so that correct direction of travel is set for next start…. Or make a habit of setting correct direction of travel at start of all events. And from crawl real trains also stops with a jerk as the brakes are applied.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tie
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2023 16:05:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Regards

Hi Thor
The name is Rocrail and of course Rocrail tracks the locos (which loco is in which block or between 2 blocks).
The way it works is for RR to know in which block, each loco is. Then according to criteria you set yourself, RR will allow a loco to go from its block to the next. For this, it will reserve all track pieces (switches DSSs, crossings) forbidding the use by another loco of the same track pieces, until the first loco has fully arrived to the destination block. Only then, reserved track pieces are made free for others.

RR can go much more: instead of locos, it can deal with trains composed of individual wagons. It can compute the length and compare with the block available length

So, of course RR knows the entire layout which the CS2 or CS3 or equivalents DO NOT. On a CS you make a vague drawing THAT IS NOT VERIFIED by anyone. RR does check the track plan for errors.

Security of trains with RR is entirely up to YOU. You may have occupancy zones everywhere and detect a "forgotten" wagon. You can also have a feedback on switches (get their real position) to stop any collision. IT WORKS I ASSURE YOU. Collisions are a thing of the past.
The CS3, on the other hand can - with special trick - deduct where is a loco (only for a maximum of 2 or 3 of them) and the programming is only the modeller's responsibility) but, in pratical terms NO, IT DOES NOT FOLLOW WHICH LOCO IS WHERE.

Cheers
Jean
Offline Tie  
#12 Posted : 16 August 2023 16:59:21(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi Jean.
I do not now RR. Dowloaded a copy once but never used it.
My point was that RR only computes where the Locos are based on given input at first startup. If you cut power and rearrange the locos i assume RR would not know.
Not to try to compete with RR but you can do some of the same with events in CS3. On my small layout with 5 locos the events take care partly the same way. There are never collisions. If one train looses power the others would wait in eternity since block is reserved for the halted loco. My layout are made with short sensor tracks so i cannot check for lost wagons🙄
And: to make events in cs3 you dont need to draw the trackplan at all in cs3. You can just as well have it on paper to help defining blockes routes etc.
That said I fully agree that RR is easier and better to keep high traffic density than you can obtain wih the events.
But then I loose the fun of trying😂
Regards
Thor
And we are now far off the question starting this tread. But as I have said earlier: what the heart is full off. The mouth spills over with. And to me these events are fun to make and evolve.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 16 August 2023 17:27:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
If you cut power and rearrange the locos i assume RR would not know.

This is EXACTLY what you are not supposed to do. RR is there to rearrange for you
Yes you need more preparations with RR (describe the entire layout) but then you are rewarded. Besides the wiring is much simplified.
A simple touch and go layout works very fine (as it was already in the mid-fifties). Brutal stops, a lot of wiring, no discrimination between trains, no dynamic tractions (ones you can create or break in real time) no push-pull (shuttle) operation without slider switching.
You compare a pocket calculator with a computer.
I have no bias as I also have a CS3 but when it comes to writing programs or automatic processes it is like night and day.
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Tie  
#14 Posted : 16 August 2023 19:21:03(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
👍😇
Offline rytter  
#15 Posted : 16 August 2023 21:36:08(UTC)
rytter

Denmark   
As long as you have a cs3 no brake module is needed. You can both adjust the acceleration/deacceleration in the lok decoder with the cs3. You can also program a lover speed to be set as loco enters the feedback contact. To smooth it further set the event to wait a certain amount of time and then set even lower speed or stop. Repeat above if required. Alternative:
I have a feedback switch in both ends and in middle of each block. In event i program reduced speed on entering contact. Crawl speed on middle contact and stop on last contact. If you need a more abrupt stop after crawl Use the switch direction command. This will override the deacceleration programmed in the decoder. Make sure to switch twice so that correct direction of travel is set for next start…. Or make a habit of setting correct direction of travel at start of all events. And from crawl real trains also stops with a jerk as the brakes are applied.

Can you give a quick intro as to how to program the CS3 so that when any loco enter the feedback stretch, it will slow down? I would be very interested in that functionality.
Offline marklinist5999  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2023 14:05:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No rytter, there isn't a way to slow down a loco. In an event with the CS3 without a brake module. The train will just stop. I'm not sure if Rocrail or other automation software can, but johnjeanb. Will know. You can only delay events in a CS3.
Offline Tie  
#17 Posted : 17 August 2023 22:28:21(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Oh yes. There are. Not to re open the discussion wrt to RR but RR also have to decelerate via commands given via the Cs2 or cs3.
Like I said.
Option 1:
Set the cv valur for acc/deacc for the decoder. This alone can be adjusted so that (also under manual control) when reducing speed from high to zero the train will slow down fast or very slow depending on settings in the locodecoder. At least this is available for the marklin Msd sound dekoder.
Option 2.. in an event; train is running at speed 6, you will normally set an event command to wait until say a feedback contact is triggered. When triggered you can say delay for a defined time in milliseconds(until next command is executed). Then event will execute next command, say set speed to 4 after that delay. in same command (set speed to 4) set new time delay until next command is executed. Next command coul be to set speed to zero.

Option 3 as described earlier could be to use entry contact to set one speed and eventual mid and end contact to lower speed and stop.
If you search my name thor inge eie on youtube you will find some old videos of my layout running on events. There you will se the trains under acceleration and deceleration. Finally if you send me your mail adress as pm i can send you a pdf explaining my way of using events for automation.
Regards
Thor
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tie
Offline marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 18 August 2023 13:25:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Ok! That's great! I guess if the Marklin digital guy's covered this, either I missed the webinar, or Marklin told then not to because this could help cease braking module sales?
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 18 August 2023 14:27:34(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Oh yes. There are. Not to re open the discussion wrt to RR but RR also have to decelerate via commands given via the Cs2 or cs3.
Like I said. Option 1:
Set the cv valur for acc/deacc for the decoder. This alone can be adjusted so that (also under manual control) when reducing speed from high to zero the train will slow down fast or very slow depending on settings in the locodecoder. At least this is available for the marklin Msd sound dekoder.
Option 2.. in an event; train is running at speed 6, you will normally set an event command to wait until say a feedback contact is triggered. When triggered you can say delay for a defined time in milliseconds(until next command is executed). Then event will execute next command, say set speed to 4 after that delay. in same command (set speed to 4) set new time delay until next command is executed. Next command coul be to set speed to zero.
Option 3 as described earlier could be to use entry contact to set one speed and eventual mid and end contact to lower speed and stop.
If you search my name thor inge eie on youtube you will find some old videos of my layout running on events. There you will se the trains under acceleration and deceleration. Finally if you send me your mail adress as pm i can send you a pdf explaining my way of using events for automation.

Huh??
So, if you have more than 1 locomotive, how is the CS3 going to know which one triggered the feedback contact?

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Tie  
#20 Posted : 18 August 2023 16:06:56(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
The overall control is in yor brain… or on a sheet of paper. You make the event so that you know which loco is entering the various contacts. I hav choosen a solution where layot is split(again in your brain or a piece of paper) i blocks(i.e. Parts of the layout that can only hold one train at the time. Name the blocks and create controlling contacts in cs3 with same names. A controlling contact is a virtual thing/tag in cs3 that has a name and one of two conditions: on(meaning block occupied)or off(meaning block free). Then at startup all blocks not occupied by trains are defined as unoccupied. The ones with trains occupied. Then in all events for the trains you start with the event checking/waiting for relevant blocks to next station to be free an then set them occupied for its own train. Then the event set the turnouts correctly and set the train running. During the run the event is set to wait for the various contact tracks on end of each block. And when contact is triggered the events set the controlling contact for the previous block to un occupied(for other trains to use). One such event for each train and triggering all events simultanously. One event will capture and set required blocks to occupied. And travel planned routes. The other trains will wait til theire required blocks are free. Then do as for above and set off.
Works fine on my layout. Above a little simplified but the general principle is correct

Thor
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tie