Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Yigal  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2023 07:41:52(UTC)
Yigal

Israel   
I got from a friend used Marklin HO scale AC tracks and turnouts and a DC locomotive.
The target is to use them for a layout, powered by DC.
The tracks are easy to modify for the DC usage. yet I am not sure about the turnouts.
Would it be possible to use them with DC power?
Offline cintrans  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2023 14:22:34(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
What track did you get?
Marklin has M, K and C track.
M track (full metal) would not usable to be used on a DC layout
The straight K track is usable without modification, straight C track you have to cut on the underside to isolate the left and right rail from each other
As far as i can see the switches from K track are next to impossible to isolate the left and right rail.
Do not know about the C track switches, I have none close by to investigate.....

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2023 15:25:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post

As far as i can see the switches from K track are next to impossible to isolate the left and right rail.

It would make more sense to get Peco points and track if only two rail running is required.

Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post

Do not know about the C track switches, I have none close by to investigate.....

Use Trix C track points (and track). Trix C track is two rail only, the only problem is it doesn't have the full range of pieces that the Marklin C track does. One would have to compare catalogues to check exactly which pieces are not available in the Trix range.

Offline Williamka  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2023 06:29:57(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
I have managed to successfully convert C track to DC running as I wished to use the Marklin curved ramps and bridges for an above ground Subway/Metro project and only Marklin C track fits. For another venture I bought a Marklin turnout to see if it could be converted to DC. So far it awaits the necessary surgery as I figure things out. I might be wrong but I believe that it is possible. It has a live frog which I believe means it will short when switched. So it will need some work to insulate/isolate the straight downline spur... Its the unique way the Marklin C track works to connect one piece to another that will need to be figured out and reconfigured. Getting the C track to work on DC presents its own unique headaches - it can short through the central contact strip so it is more reliable when that is isolated - a swift piece or surgery using a Dremel cutter does the trick. My Ree USA tank is happily whizzing around the oval as I write... I'll post again if and when successful.
Offline Yigal  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2023 06:34:07(UTC)
Yigal

Israel   
Originally Posted by: Williamka Go to Quoted Post
I have managed to successfully convert C track to DC running as I wished to use the Marklin curved ramps and bridges for an above ground Subway/Metro project and only Marklin C track fits. For another venture I bought a Marklin turnout to see if it could be converted to DC. So far it awaits the necessary surgery as I figure things out. I might be wrong but I believe that it is possible. It has a live frog which I believe means it will short when switched. So it will need some work to insulate/isolate the straight downline spur... Its the unique way the Marklin C track works to connect one piece to another that will need to be figured out and reconfigured. Getting the C track to work on DC presents its own unique headaches - it can short through the central contact strip so it is more reliable when that is isolated - a swift piece or surgery using a Dremel cutter does the trick. My Ree USA tank is happily whizzing around the oval as I write... I'll post again if and when successful.

At this stage, I gave up and ordered DC turnouts.
Let me know what conclusion did you reach.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2023 14:47:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Yigal and you all
Welcome to this great forum.
Yes converting C track to 2 rails is easy. Where it gets difficult is to convert short radius (R2) turnouts to DC
Here is a German video on how to insulate rails on short radius switches

Notice that the frog is insulated during the conversion

I have not done it but it seems feasible.

In case you have difficulties with German:
Turnout (24611 - 24612
- all ground bridges (Three of them) are cut "Masseverbindungen" Video 1:46 into it
- all rails on the same side are wired (LHR and RHR) 3:58 into the video
- the frog is pushed down 4:26 into the video
- the "A"-shaped contact sheet metal is removed 5:00 into the video
- the frog is filed so to be insulated 5:56 into the video and so that it does not contact the small rails after the frog.
- check continuity and insulation 8:03 into the video

Double Slip Switch (24624)
- cut the four bridges
- connect all LHR together and all RHR together
- that seems to be it.

Cheers
Jean
Offline Williamka  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2023 22:34:22(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Yigal and you all
Welcome to this great forum.
Yes converting C track to 2 rails is easy. Where it gets difficult is to convert short radius (R2) turnouts to DC
Here is a German video on how to insulate rails on short radius switches

Notice that the frog is insulated during the conversion

I have not done it but it seems feasible.

In case you have difficulties with German:
Turnout (24611 - 24612
- all ground bridges (Three of them) are cut "Masseverbindungen" Video 1:46 into it
- all rails on the same side are wired (LHR and RHR) 3:58 into the video
- the frog is pushed down 4:26 into the video
- the "A"-shaped contact sheet metal is removed 5:00 into the video
- the frog is filed so to be insulated 5:56 into the video and so that it does not contact the small rails after the frog.
- check continuity and insulation 8:03 into the video

Double Slip Switch (24624)
- cut the four bridges
- connect all LHR together and all RHR together
- that seems to be it.

Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Williamka
Offline Williamka  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2023 22:41:42(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Hello Jean - I tried to reply and thankyou. But alas I have no idea how this software actually works - there seemed to be nowhere to type! Thank you very much for the Germán Video. I could understand much of it and took some screen shots to help. It was simple to execute.. Getting the frog off the turnout took some persuasion - (a rubber mallet and tool). A small tank will run over the turnout in both directions - it tends to stall or hesitate on the frog - so needs a boost to get through. I'll get another turnout to sacrifice and see if I can do a better job. :)
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2023 22:53:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello William
Also me, when I write a message I correct myself afterwards No problem.
One thing I suspect but I am not sure of is: are the short rails and mobile blades powered? I think they are even after removing the A-shaped sheet-metal part.
Improvements could be by fitting the luke: powering the frog by inserting a wire on the hole before clipsing the frog to its ballast.
Your approach is very interesting.
My fun is with automation. Here is my PC-controlled layout (Rocrail+CS3) on a 3 rail, C-track system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Williamka  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2023 07:50:12(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Hello William
Also me, when I write a message I correct myself afterwards No problem.
One thing I suspect but I am not sure of is: are the short rails and mobile blades powered? I think they are even after removing the A-shaped sheet-metal part.
Improvements could be by fitting the luke: powering the frog by inserting a wire on the hole before clipsing the frog to its ballast.
Your approach is very interesting.
My fun is with automation. Here is my PC-controlled layout (Rocrail+CS3) on a 3 rail, C-track system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI

Cheers
Jean

The mobile blades are powered - there are connections to the live rails where the A shaped insert joined the mobile blades ( I cut these connections - my big mistake) the fixed blades
once the A insert is removed are not connected. There should be no problem with a loco with a longer wheelbase than a tank engine. My soldering skills are not so far equal to the task of connecting the fixed blades... A lot of molten plastic and loose wires...:) But it may be possible to remove only the apex of the A insert and leave the rest in place - then the fixed blades would be powered - my guess is that that would not be satisfactory!

Thank you for the video -that is one truly amazing layout.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 10 June 2023 12:59:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi William
Glad you liked my layout. Thank you
Soldering C track rails: this is possible BUT you must use "Soldering water" (not sure how you call it in Canada, I use here a German product called "Lötwasser"
The critical point is to reach rapidly the soldering temperature without melting the plastic around. Some training with old C-track bits may be helpful and also temperature-controlled soldering iron (for Electronics).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Williamka  
#12 Posted : 11 June 2023 00:36:32(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Hi William
Glad you liked my layout. Thank you
Soldering C track rails: this is possible BUT you must use "Soldering water" (not sure how you call it in Canada, I use here a German product called "Lötwasser"
The critical point is to reach rapidly the soldering temperature without melting the plastic around. Some training with old C-track bits may be helpful and also temperature-controlled soldering iron (for Electronics).
Cheers
Jean

Thank you - I'll Give it a try..

Offline Williamka  
#13 Posted : 11 June 2023 07:10:06(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
The problem of the dead fixed rails on the turnout was given a quick fix by placing two springy copper wire 'U's between the fixed rails and the live rails to draw power. They don't interfere with the running and are not highly visible. They make the turnout fully operational. ...
Offline heinrichhess  
#14 Posted : 11 June 2023 12:25:31(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
i think the wheels will have problems as well as height are different

Offline Williamka  
#15 Posted : 11 June 2023 20:12:06(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Originally Posted by: heinrichhess Go to Quoted Post
i think the wheels will have problems as well as height are different

Many thanks for the advice..
My experience is that the rolling stock and Loco's whether North American, OO UK, or Euro DC all handle these turnouts with ease.
It's not a smooth frog but so far there have been no derailments either forwards or in reverse...
There well maybe some rolling stock out there that does not work.
If anything of a standout nature surfaces during operations then it'll get a mention..

Offline Williamka  
#16 Posted : 12 June 2023 18:05:32(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
And here is the quickest solution - don't fix the turnouts - Trix apparently do identical track in DC..

Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 12 June 2023 18:11:19(UTC)
H0

Trix apparently do identical track in DC.
Alan mentioned that in #3.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Williamka  
#18 Posted : 12 June 2023 19:54:33(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks I am as thick as two short planks !BigGrin

Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 13 June 2023 21:54:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks I am as thick as two short planks !BigGrin

So long as it is not two short tracks ... RollEyes RollEyes

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Williamka  
#20 Posted : 23 June 2023 19:58:19(UTC)
Williamka

Canada   
The Trix turnouts have arrived (one left and one right) and I am pleased to report that they work very well with the DC adapted Maerklin track.
The colour of the plastic is a lighter more of tan shade of brown so the colours don't match but they do blend.
I now wish that I had known about the Trix/Maerklin compatibility before setting out on this current venture.
There's enough range for the Trix/Maerklin track that make it suitable for many different uses.
It's a quality engineered product and useful for the rapid prototyping of proposed layouts
whilst making good use of many of the Maerklin accessories, like bridges and ramps and so forth..
SO
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and help..