Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2023 13:20:51(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hello,

I acquired 18.4 Steamer. A bit older model 3093, but it was sold as "digital". Surely is. There is a 8 dip switch decoder inside and the motor is LFCM AC motor.

Smoke basically came out from decoder when I powered it up. I'm sure it's fried (luckily I was generously refunded 50%). Motor looks ok though.

60944 retrofit motor fits to the body, but the chassis won't go back on. I could dremel it, but this one looks a tough thing to do, so I prefer not to.

So I'm thinking of keeping the AC motor and installing AC decoder. Märklin has one with MFX. I have no previous experience with that decoder, so no idea how the end result would come to be.

However, I wan't sound. No sound steam loco, does not cure my fever.

Does anyone know of a decoder that has got all the needed sounds (operating sounds of motor. whistles and all that jazz) and works with AC motor? I'm sure I can go with DCC, these protocols all work together don't they?

Best,
-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2023 13:37:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Most anyone whom has installed decoders them selves have fried at least one, so you aren't alone. If you are using a transformer, not a switched mode power supply, you run that risk agian with most new mfx deocoders. There are/were two different sized 5 pole conversion sets, and some shops still have new old stock. If you got the larger, the smaller one may fit better. There is at least one post archived on how to dremel the block so the body goes back on.
I think our issue isn't so much an a/c or d/c motor, as a power supply one. The higher amperage of a conventional transformer is. The decoders are suseptable to this regardless of the motor. If I am incorreect, someone will say so for you. I havn't ever installed my own yet. An expert dealer told me it's best to gut everything when doing so, meaning lights, capacitors, diodes, old sound chips, and that makes me shy away from it. Newer models have plug on decoders, and that makes a lot of sense if you ever want to upgrade or need to replace one. Retrofitting can be done for these, but a pcb board with the 21 pin sockets to accept the deoder is needed.
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2023 13:50:35(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Most anyone whom has installed decoders them selves have fried at least one, so you aren't alone. If you are using a transformer, not a switched mode power supply, you run that risk agian with most new mfx deocoders.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm running digital. The track is powered with Mobile Station 2 and the track box associated with it. Power supply is switched mode ofcourse. I'm running the layout with Rocrail software though.

Luckily I haven't fried any decoders myself yet. This loco I bought from eBay had a decoder installed and it was fried already. I'm not able to identify what decoder it is, but address is set with 8 dip switches.

My original plan was to replace what ever decoder the loco has, with mSD3, but I was surprised to find an AC motor inside the loco, so this will not work.

So my options are:

A) Replace the AC motor with 60944 and dremel the chassis so that I can use mSD3. I can do this, have got previous experience, but don't want to.

B) Keep the AC motor and find any decoder that runs AC motor AND has sound (this is what I'm asking assistance for in this topic)

C) Keep the AC motor and install Märklin 60906 . This will get the loco running, but won't have sound, which is not really an option.

Best,
-Eino

Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2023 13:52:29(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi
For the early S 3/6 locomotives (3092, 3093, 3111 etc)
the best solution is
1. Conversion of the motor with an ESU magnet 51960
2. Use a LokPilot or LokSound ESU decoder with M4 protocol
3. During the programming of the decoder with LokProgammer for the motor use the Märklin LFCM preset

I can give more details if you are interesting
The milling of the body is a solution but you can finish with a hole on the body

Regards

Costas
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2023 13:56:25(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The Märklin 60906 decoder is not a good solution
You can find my conversion of a 3111 but I am not happy

https://www.marklin-user...rsion-with-60906-Decoder

Costas

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Gregor  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2023 14:14:27(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi,

I converted the 3092 using the regular 60904 kit (same hardware as your 60944 kit). Indeed the housing does not fit as it collides with the brush holders. To avoid milling the housing I drilled out the brush holders on the armature plate and glued them back on in the 180° opposite location.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Few years later I replaced the decoder by a Loksound 58449.

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2023 14:15:54(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks for the insight guys!

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi

1. Conversion of the motor with an ESU magnet 51960
2. Use a LokPilot or LokSound ESU decoder with M4 protocol
3. During the programming of the decoder with LokProgammer for the motor use the Märklin LFCM preset

I totally forgot about the ESU permanent magnet. I think this is the solution I will seek. So do I just use the existing motor shield and armature with this? What kind of changes will have to be made, new brushes at least?

I've never before used ESU decoders. Wha the exact product I should get? Do they come preloaded with Steam/Diesel/Electric sounds, like mSD3 comes?

LokProgrammer is the software, right? So how do I connect the decoder to my Mac, do I need an USB dongle, like Märklin has 60971?

EDIT, add comment:

Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I converted the 3092 using the regular 60904 kit (same hardware as your 60944 kit). Indeed the housing does not fit as it collides with the brush holders. To avoid milling the housing I drilled out the brush holders on the armature plate and glued them back on in the 180° opposite location.

This looks like a genious way to do it and for this solution, I would not have to buy anything, since I have one extra 60944 and mSD3 at hand... Also I think I have at least two more of this motor shields if I mess up... This is worth considering.

Thanks!

-Eino
Offline Gregor  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2023 14:23:37(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi Eino,

Seems our posts crossed, some answers to your questions you will find in my earlier post.

The ESU sound decoders are programmed using the ESU Lokprogrammer

Not sure if it works well with a Mac.

Best regards,
Gregor

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2023 14:51:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
read this post datong back to 2010. Might be useful

https://www.marklin-user...R-18-4--3093--to-Digital

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ocram63_uk  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2023 15:56:05(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
AFAIK lokProgrammer works only on Windows systems.
You could install a virtual machine, like VirtualBox, on your Mac, deploy a Windows image in it and you should be good to go.

I used a modern Marklin digital decoder for AC motors and it works extremely well, it is mfx too and no need to change the motor at all.
I don't know if the make the same with sound though
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline einotuominen  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2023 16:18:59(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
read this post datong back to 2010. Might be useful

https://www.marklin-user...R-18-4--3093--to-Digital

Thanks! Can’t ever have too much info. Much appreciated. Love

Luckily I’ve conerted about 10 locos so far. Only the V200’s and NS1200s have been straight forward. All others have required some tooling.

Here’s a 3072 I did:
https://www.instagram.co...-Dk/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I think my choice will be to flip the brush plate 180 degrees.

BTW this is off topic, but when connecting smoke generator (I have not done that yet before) do I solder the Aux1 cable to the small pin at the bottom of the generator (or copper plate if loco has it) and then solder the body of the generator directly to track ground?

BR,
-Eino
Offline ocram63_uk  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2023 17:24:14(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
SMOKE GENERATOR
If the loco has a metal body you only need to solder the AUX1 cable to the pin at the bottom of the smoke generator. The ground is supplied by the loco's metal body.
If the loco has a plastic body you might have to be careful at the heat generated by the 'smoker' as it could melt the smoke stack :-)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2023 19:50:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
SMOKE GENERATOR
If the loco has a metal body you only need to solder the AUX1 cable to the pin at the bottom of the smoke generator. The ground is supplied by the loco's metal body.
If the loco has a plastic body you might have to be careful at the heat generated by the 'smoker' as it could melt the smoke stack :-)

Seuthe has a smoke unit designed for use in a plastic body. I can't recall the catalogue number off hand.

Ideally, also instead of soldering a wire to the bottom contact, set up a spring contact like marklin does, then the body can be removed without having to worry about the wire.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Ross  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2023 21:35:06(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Eino/All,

You may be interested in my article below for further ideas.

3111 LP5.0 conversion with E188838 brush plate
Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline ktsolias  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2023 22:43:27(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
SMOKE GENERATOR

Seuthe has a smoke unit designed for use in a plastic body. I can't recall the catalogue number off hand.

Ideally, also instead of soldering a wire to the bottom contact, set up a spring contact like marklin does, then the body can be removed without having to worry about the wire.

Hi
The 3093 has a metal body and is already equipped for installation of a 3.5mm smoke generator

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline owidgie  
#16 Posted : 14 January 2023 01:00:38(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Hi Eino, here is a more elegant solution from the Marklin Digital Newsletter, I have used this technique several times. Although this is done on a milling machine, a drill press would work just as well.

Marklin Digital Newsletter Jan - Feb 2022 Vol 34 - No 1.pdf (1,246kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline einotuominen  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2023 08:25:56(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the resources. I ended up flipping the copper brush holder 180 degrees. It took about 15 minutes to do. I haven't tested it yet, but I will first try it with FX decoder, just in case something is wrong and the decoder will burn. Here are some pictures: https://www.instagram.co..._Ud/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

SMOKE GENERATOR

Thanks! This provides the info I needed to understand the connections.

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yes absolutely so. And even if there weren't I'd bend one from copper plating (from an old reversing unit for example)

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Mark5  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2023 23:03:41(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Eino.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your alterations.

However, no IG account here, and it's likely a lot people cannot see the photo. You have to login into Meta to see it and I no longer use those services, as many have left their platforms. Are you able to upload images to the Forum server?

Following your progress with interest.
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline einotuominen  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2023 09:19:18(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Eino.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your alterations.

However, no IG account here, and it's likely a lot people cannot see the photo. You have to login into Meta to see it and I no longer use those services, as many have left their platforms. Are you able to upload images to the Forum server?

Following your progress with interest.
- Mark

Hello, oh, sorry for the IG link. I never noticed there was an option to upload an attachment. Little did I know.

Anyways here is a video of the end result... Or maybe it's halfway done. IT IS NOT GOOD.

On slover speeds the engine is jerking a lot. This may be a decoder defect, but I'm sure it's got more to do with brushes contacting the commutator... Does anyone have experience how sensitive these are?

Anyways, here's what I've learned, since I actually did this two times over:

- For the love of everything that is good in the world, DO NOT BEND THE COPPER PARTS. This will lead to disaster in terms of power getting to the commutator. (For example loose spring tension does not push the brushes hard enough towards the commutator)

- Do what ever tooling needs to be done to separate the copper parts without harming them. The second time, I removed them from another plate by cutting the plastic around the parts, until the plastic shattered off.

- Do what ever tooling is needed to the plastic, to make sure the copper parts go in place easily, do not force them. Have an intact plate near by to have a reference on how the parts should be aligned exactly.

The first time around, the motor running was terrible. It is now better, but still no good.

Could it be that over time, the brushes have been honed/polished to have a better contact to the commutator in the "non factory" angle they currently are in?

Any suggestions?

-Eino
Offline einotuominen  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2023 10:45:52(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
In addition to my previous post. I now installed completely new motor plate, without doing any modification just to see if the problem is present also. And it is. So this is coming from something else than my 180 flip.

I'll have to try with another decoder...

The inductors however are not directly on the motor plate, but with a short wires. Could this cause some issues?

-Eino
Offline einotuominen  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2023 12:52:22(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hello,

to add in to my previous two posts, I think I now have it running smoothly, however I noticed a problem with traction. The tires were at the end of their lives. Unfortunately I don't have steam loco traction tires available so I stretched an smaller tiers around the wheels, but that didn't improve it as you can imagine. So I need to order some traction tires.

Anyways, what did I do?

- Re attach all parts, make sure that everything is well in place

- Re solder connections to motor, I think this played big role here

You can see the result here in YouTube

Let's see what happens when I get new tires for it and also the mSD3 which will be delivered to me in next four days.

I'm hopeful about this!

One thing though. Only two wheels have the grooves for the tires, what if that does not bring enough traction?

-Eino
Offline bph  
#22 Posted : 15 January 2023 13:20:57(UTC)
bph

Norway   
nice work with the motor shield.ThumpUp

regarding poor running, have you tried the decoder auto calibration? if not try it. (write 77 to cv7)
you can also try with both motor type 3 and 5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline einotuominen  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2023 13:45:55(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

regarding poor running, have you tried the decoder auto calibration? if not try it. (write 77 to cv7)

Thanks!

Not yet. I’m testing with 60760 FX decoder. Just in case I defect the motor and it fries the decoder. Better to fry 19€ decoder than 90€.

So the mSD3 will arrive in a few days, so we see what happens. Though I think that the motor is now running as it usually does with 60760.

The traction is so bad that the loco just slides on the tracks like on ice.

I will order tires, but makes me wonder if everything is ok mechanically here… I mean there is no traction at all. Have a look at this:

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline bph  
#24 Posted : 15 January 2023 14:35:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

Not yet. I’m testing with 60760 FX decoder. Just in case I defect the motor and it fries the decoder. Better to fry 19€ decoder than 90€.

So the mSD3 will arrive in a few days, so we see what happens. Though I think that the motor is now running as it usually does with 60760.

The traction is so bad that the loco just slides on the tracks like on ice.

I will order tires, but makes me wonder if everything is ok mechanically here… I mean there is no traction at all. Have a look at this:

ah, yes it's probably what you can expect from the 60760.....

regarding traction, could the "spring" on the rear trailing wheels be too hard?, or is some other part of the trailing wheels not properly in position? anyway, a new set of tires should also help.
Offline einotuominen  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2023 15:01:27(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   

regarding traction, could the "spring" on the rear trailing wheels be too hard?, or is some other part of the trailing wheels not properly in position? anyway, a new set of tires should also help.

I actually noticed earlier that the trailing wheel is very tight, but since I’m quite inexperienced, did not think it was important. I’ll loosen it a bit when I get back to the trains later next week.

About the auto camibration. I only have MS2 (I drive with Rocrail) so MFX gives some fancy named menu options for me and it’s not nearly the whole set.

I have no experience with DCC, but could I do it with it? How do I initialy set the decoder as DCC when adding to MS2? Later if I wan’t to change back to MFX, how is it done and does is keep the calibration?

-Eino

Offline bph  
#26 Posted : 15 January 2023 15:58:34(UTC)
bph

Norway   

I actually noticed earlier that the trailing wheel is very tight, but since I’m quite inexperienced, did not think it was important. I’ll loosen it a bit when I get back to the trains later next week.

About the auto camibration. I only have MS2 (I drive with Rocrail) so MFX gives some fancy named menu options for me and it’s not nearly the whole set.

I have no experience with DCC, but could I do it with it? How do I initialy set the decoder as DCC when adding to MS2? Later if I wan’t to change back to MFX, how is it done and does is keep the calibration?

-Eino

I don't have a MS2, but DCC or MM mode only should do it. you might find some help here. https://wiki.3rail.nl/index.php?title=CV-programmeren_met_de_MS2. I have done some calibrations with my old 6021 without any problem. (MM only)
Offline einotuominen  
#27 Posted : 15 January 2023 16:17:50(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks! I’ll look into it.

Google is nearly useless since all the resources are in german and almost nothing can be found with english keywords, so thank you!

-Eino
Offline einotuominen  
#28 Posted : 19 January 2023 14:02:00(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

Here is sort of a semi end result, or at least proof of concept result.

There has not yet been any calibration (can't do with MS2) of the decoder, so it is in factory settings (my USB decoder programmer dongle has not yet arrived, nor do I even have a Windows PC BigGrin )

Know issues and question I hope you guys can help me out:

- Smoke unit does not work. This smoke unit has red bottom, not pink, is it suitable? I have connected AUX1 (brown/red) to the copper base of the smoke unit.

- When I turn on AUX1 on, the front light starts to flicker and I can hear s hissing sound... Smoke is not coming out. Any ideas? I do have a pink bottomed smoke unit that should be the correct one for this, should I just try it out? I also have one with white bottom, is that for digital?

- Light is leaking through cracks of the chassis, so some black tape or even paint to the LED is in order.

- Tender chassis is a bit loose and also the motherboard mounting plate is still a bit loose.

- Add more volume to engine sound, on high speed, the mechanical sounds dominate.

Here's a video:

Here's a couple of pictures. Fitting the 2mm LED from under the smoke unit connector was a huge job when cathode and anode connectors had shrink tubing over them. BigGrin

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

I hope someone can help me with the smoke unit though?

Best regards and huge appreciations,
-Eino

Offline bph  
#29 Posted : 19 January 2023 18:11:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi guys,

Here is sort of a semi end result, or at least proof of concept result.

Know issues and question I hope you guys can help me out:

- Smoke unit does not work. This smoke unit has red bottom, not pink, is it suitable? I have connected AUX1 (brown/red) to the copper base of the smoke unit.

- When I turn on AUX1 on, the front light starts to flicker and I can hear s hissing sound... Smoke is not coming out. Any ideas? I do have a pink bottomed smoke unit that should be the correct one for this, should I just try it out? I also have one with white bottom, is that for digital?

-Eino

just to clarify, you have connected the Aux1 wire to the small pin or wire that comes out in the bottom centre of the smoke generator?

The fault description you give might be that of the decoder overload protection. but the smoke generator might also "hiss" a bit when activated, and if fill too much it won't smoke.
Offline einotuominen  
#30 Posted : 19 January 2023 18:32:34(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   

just to clarify, you have connected the Aux1 wire to the small pin or wire that comes out in the bottom centre of the smoke generator?

The fault description you give might be that of the decoder overload protection. but the smoke generator might also "hiss" a bit when activated, and if fill too much it won't smoke.

Hi!

Aux1 wire is soldered to the original copper mounting for the smoke generator. I have also checked the connection with multimeter.

If I’d want to check it with chassis on, is the pin in the middle of the generator I should connect multimeter to?

Overload protection is what I thought about also. However sounds keep running and loco does move.

I will try to remove the smone generator and see what happens and then try another one.

The current one has a red bottom. I was once again unable to find information of these color codes... I also have white and pink ones available. What I do know is that pink at least is for digital.

-Eino
Offline BenP  
#31 Posted : 19 January 2023 18:45:27(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Hi guys,

- Light is leaking through cracks of the chassis, so some black tape or even paint to the LED is in order.

-Eino

I just connected a 1950s steamer's smoke unit with 60906 mfx decoder. The aux wire goes to the little center piece wire (the 'glowing' part of the unit). The external case goes to ground. Note that smoke unit uses track ground (via train), not decoder ground (in contrast to led lights and telex).
Once installed you may need to adjust the decoder output to aux, so the smoke unit does not overheat.

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline bph  
#32 Posted : 19 January 2023 18:54:06(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Hi!

Aux1 wire is soldered to the original copper mounting for the smoke generator. I have also checked the connection with multimeter.

If I’d want to check it with chassis on, is the pin in the middle of the generator I should connect multimeter to?

Overload protection is what I thought about also. However sounds keep running and loco does move.

I will try to remove the smone generator and see what happens and then try another one.

The current one has a red bottom. I was once again unable to find information of these color codes... I also have white and pink ones available. What I do know is that pink at least is for digital.

-Eino

good Smile , I assumed that it was something like that, it was just to be sure. have you tested to make sore there is no accidental connection between the chassis and aux1.

what is the resistance du you measure, between the bottom pin and the sides of the generator? eg the 7226 should be around 42 ohm

this might help:
https://www.stummiforum.de/t82861f2-Seuthe-Dampfeins-tze-Farbsymbole.html
Offline einotuominen  
#33 Posted : 19 January 2023 18:58:23(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Ok,

I will make sure that everything is connected correctly. I have tested everything to the copper plate, but obviously can’t measure when chassis is on. However, if there would be no contact with the copper plate and smoke unit bottom pin, I guess there would not be flicker with the lights.

Ground is track ground via the loco chassis/hull. I’ll double check that again.

I will get back with the results.

Edit:

good Smile , I assumed that it was something like that, it was just to be sure. have you tested to make sore there is no accidental connection between the chassis and aux1.

what is the resistance du you measure, between the bottom pin and the sides of the generator? eg the 7226 should be around 42 ohm

this might help:
https://www.stummiforum.de/t82861f2-Seuthe-Dampfeins-tze-Farbsymbole.html

I will do these measurements and check the link also! Will get back to you.

Much appreciated! Love

Thanks!

-Eino
bph
Offline bph  
#34 Posted : 19 January 2023 19:08:39(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Ok,

I will make sure that everything is connected correctly. I have tested everything to the copper plate, but obviously can’t measure when chassis is on. However, if there would be no contact with the copper plate and smoke unit bottom pin, I guess there would not be flicker with the lights.

Ground is track ground via the loco chassis/hull. I’ll double check that again.

I will get back with the results.

Thanks!

-Eino

sometimes things are a bit strange, one a locomotive I have, I got a short, and I could not figure out why, and this was an unmodified newer locomotive with mfix decoder. However, it turned out that during a service I had pushed down the smoke generator 2mm and it then shorted against a component on a print plate. it had me puzzled for quite a while......
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline einotuominen  
#35 Posted : 20 January 2023 14:17:07(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
So I found out the problem. The solder joint from Aux1 to the copper plate was too big of a blob, so the smoke unit's body touched it and caused a short circtuit. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YVKCl0qyARg

Here's the end result of the loco running with perfect smoke!

Decoder is still in factory settings.

I'm hoping I can initiate the calibration with the Decoder programmer when it will arrive hopefully next week. Haven't ever used the software, but I guess one can write CV with it.

Thank you very much for everyone who helped me out on this topic!

-Eino

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline bph  
#36 Posted : 20 January 2023 14:47:02(UTC)
bph

Norway   
So I found out the problem. The solder joint from Aux1 to the copper plate was too big of a blob, so the smoke unit's body touched it and caused a short circtuit. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YVKCl0qyARg

Here's the end result of the loco running with perfect smoke!

Decoder is still in factory settings.

I'm hoping I can initiate the calibration with the Decoder programmer when it will arrive hopefully next week. Haven't ever used the software, but I guess one can write CV with it.

Thank you very much for everyone who helped me out on this topic!

-Eino

ThumpUp, nice work.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to initiate the calibration from the decoder programmer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph