Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2022 11:58:28(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

I have just preordered the latest SNCF Corail coach set from Roco, 1 x 1st Class and 3 x 2nd Class.

The plan is:
- install lighting, using the Roco 40420 throughout
- have one coach with the Roco decoder 10880 and slider 40500
- use the Viessmann or ESU 2 pole current conducting couplers
- change the wheels to AC compatible ones

I may also add an SNCF restaurant / buffet from LS Model once I find one that works with the set. I’ll use the same set up.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there has done this before and will to share their experiences. I’d be particularly interested in any information around the wiring.

I drew a very basic wiring diagram for the powered coach, I would love any feedback, especially if completely wrong!

E3FE984A-781D-423C-8C59-2E11E4749339.jpeg
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2022 13:32:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Looks correct. Now if you want, you don't need to connect the wire on the couple to the locomotive., unles it has a digital switched coupler socket. You may also connect both leads to the led strip at one end. if it has dual terminals like Marklin does. If you do wire the other end to a current coupler, using the locomotive for lighting, be sure a pick-up shoe is not in the train consist on a car with a current condicting coupler, or it will short out!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2022 14:04:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie

Märklin user here.
In your schematics, you connect directly the slider to the LED strip and IMO:
- usually, self-adhesive led strips I use are 12 VDC and are much too bright (need a dimming resistor I often use 5.6 kOhms)
- not being sure that the LEDs can withstand the reverse voltage -20 V, it is better to insert a diode to rectify
- you need both alternances to avoid flickering so a bridge rectifier (full wave rectifier) is needed

It goes something like this
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2022 20:15:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Not had much luck with attaching a slider to a Roco coach. The light bar looks expensive but you do get a spring type for the ground.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2022 01:22:51(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie

Märklin user here.
In your schematics, you connect directly the slider to the LED strip and IMO:
- usually, self-adhesive led strips I use are 12 VDC and are much too bright (need a dimming resistor I often use 5.6 kOhms)
- not being sure that the LEDs can withstand the reverse voltage -20 V, it is better to insert a diode to rectify
- you need both alternances to avoid flickering so a bridge rectifier (full wave rectifier) is needed

It goes something like this
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

I will keep this in mind if I use regular LED strips. I’m hoping that the Roco ones won’t need the extra components.

According to the description, Roco set 40420 is compatible with AC and DC, it can also accomodate a decoder which can adjust brightness. It also has the buffer capacitor to avoid flickering, this was really attractive to me.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2022 01:30:46(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Not had much luck with attaching a slider to a Roco coach. The light bar looks expensive but you do get a spring type for the ground.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Hi David,

To be honest I was worried about this as well, I created a post about this as well and asked people to share their experiences.

This will be the first time I use Roco coaches so, we will have to see. I’m told that attaching the slider can be a bit fiddly, it’s easy to break.

The link to the post if interested:

https://www.marklin-user...Conversion-to-Marklin-AC
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2022 01:37:08(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Looks correct. Now if you want, you don't need to connect the wire on the couple to the locomotive., unles it has a digital switched coupler socket. You may also connect both leads to the led strip at one end. if it has dual terminals like Marklin does. If you do wire the other end to a current coupler, using the locomotive for lighting, be sure a pick-up shoe is not in the train consist on a car with a current condicting coupler, or it will short out!

Hi,

Thank you!

I coupler between the coach and train will not be powered. The plan is to have the last coach as the powered one, sharing to the others.

I noticed that the Marklin LED strips have dual terminals, the Roco ones don’t. I was just going to solder 2 wires together, on one terminal - this should have the same effect right?
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2022 03:33:24(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I used Marklin single contact couplers, a reel of LED strips, Bridge rectifiers and resistors in each coach, and one pickup shoe. Cant remember what size resistors I used but where I could, I used 1000 uf 50v capacitors.

At first the lights were too bright but higher resistance fixed that. I have the capability to run my coaches on either analogue or digital [ hence the 50v capacitors ].

Genuine stuff is quite expensive. You can even make your own conductors, by fitting a brass strip through where the pre-uncoupler would normally go. I even fitted conducting couplers on older coaches that were not designed for them.

All the best.

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2022 04:19:08(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Could you design an electrical connection using neodymium magnets for alignment.

I have used a few neodymium magnets for larger projects. They are brilliant. Be careful, they can guillotine fingers.

If you can have some surface contacts that self align. A pair of magnets will hold them together.
Offline Eddie7979  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2022 04:44:51(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I used Marklin single contact couplers, a reel of LED strips, Bridge rectifiers and resistors in each coach, and one pickup shoe. Cant remember what size resistors I used but where I could, I used 1000 uf 50v capacitors.

At first the lights were too bright but higher resistance fixed that. I have the capability to run my coaches on either analogue or digital [ hence the 50v capacitors ].

Genuine stuff is quite expensive. You can even make your own conductors, by fitting a brass strip through where the pre-uncoupler would normally go. I even fitted conducting couplers on older coaches that were not designed for them.

All the best.

Totally agree with you, I guess I’m not too confident in my abilities to solder and being able to retrofitting lighting / couplers. Once I build some experience and skills, I will try using different ways.

Thank you for sharing this information, I’m keeping all this for future references and learning a lot!
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#11 Posted : 19 October 2022 04:58:30(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
Could you design an electrical connection using neodymium magnets for alignment.

I have used a few neodymium magnets for larger projects. They are brilliant. Be careful, they can guillotine fingers.

If you can have some surface contacts that self align. A pair of magnets will hold them together.

Hey,

Actually, I was looking at doing something like this. Since I will be adding a buffet car from LS Models in the future, having the self alignment would be really practical.

The one I had my eye on is made by REE Modeles, I believe they come with different lengths as well which will be handy with avoiding derailments on short curves.

https://www.jb-webshop.d...s/XB933&Locale=en_GB

Which ones have you used, if you don’t mind me asking?
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 19 October 2022 06:46:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This appears in the instructions for many Roco 1/87 coaches
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 12.44.14 AM.png
The original can be downloaded here: https://www.roco.cc/rde/...ssraumwagen-der-sbb.html
The part which they say should replace the original plastic base for the slider is no longer included with the models. It may still be possible to find online or at parts sources

Once you have swapped the part, you can glue the slider to the bottom of the bogie and the two pins will secure it in place.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Crazy Harry  
#13 Posted : 19 October 2022 17:59:36(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post

All the best.

Derek,

Could you provide a sketch of what you did? What current are the single contact couplers carrying? If it is from the single slider why does each coach need its own rectifier and resistors? Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Eddie7979  
#14 Posted : 20 October 2022 01:44:16(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
This appears in the instructions for many Roco 1/87 coaches
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 12.44.14 AM.png
The original can be downloaded here: https://www.roco.cc/rde/...ssraumwagen-der-sbb.html
The part which they say should replace the original plastic base for the slider is no longer included with the models. It may still be possible to find online or at parts sources

Once you have swapped the part, you can glue the slider to the bottom of the bogie and the two pins will secure it in place.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

This was something that stopped me from buying any Roco passenger coaches and couldn’t really understand why Roco would recommend a part that they no longer supply.

However, I asked about conversion of Roco coaches to AC in the following post:

https://www.marklin-user...Conversion-to-Marklin-AC

The photos posted by the good Marklin community on this forum shows that the spacer may not be needed in the modern coaches.

I made a decision to just take a risk and order the coaches and then see how it goes. I think the bogeys and slider might have been redesigned to prevent it from twisting, meaning there is no need for the spacer perhaps…

One thing is for sure, the slider screws into the bogey. Not sure if the screw is supplied or the size - that remains to be seen!

The Roco coaches are on pre-order so it might be a while until I receive them. I’ll be sure to post photos and talk about any success or problems I encounter for others to learn from.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979