Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2022 03:14:41(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

So I know this has probably been discussed before, I’ve seen some pages from a few years ago and seen various bits of information covering this subject online. It might be due information overload but, it’s confused me a little about what is and is not possible.

Another reason for my question here is because of where I live, Marklin is not too popular here and I haven’t seen any places selling Roco either. So, being able to physically look at product isn’t something I can do (if anyone knows of shops selling Marklin / Roco in Perth WA - hit me up!).

I’d like to get my hands on some of the new (or newish) Roco passenger coaches & restaurant, especially for the SNCF to go with my layout.

Few things I already know:
- wheels can be replaced on Roco to suit Marklin system;
- Roco sells sliders and universal LED lights, however the slider is attached with a screw and is not able to be fitted directly to the coach. Roco used to supply an adapter piece or spacer but doesn’t anymore, it’s not available for purchase either (I believe discontinued); and
- couplers are all interchangeable, I believe Roco sells current conducting couplers.

I’m just wondering if the above is correct, I would be grateful for any advice.

Does anyone have any experience with adding sliders to new Roco coaches? Any info would be awesome.

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2022 06:29:14(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I have a number of Roco coaches.

Many of the newer coaches do not require the wheels changing to run on Märklin. They have electrical contacts on each of the bogies that can be bridged when used on three rail.

I have been able to screw pick up shoes/sliders directly to the bogie without an adaptor plate.

Roco and/esu current conducting couplers are a good choice for them.

Cheers…..

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2022 06:58:46(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
I have a number of Roco coaches.

Many of the newer coaches do not require the wheels changing to run on Märklin. They have electrical contacts on each of the bogies that can be bridged when used on three rail.

I have been able to screw pick up shoes/sliders directly to the bogie without an adaptor plate.

Roco and/esu current conducting couplers are a good choice for them.

Cheers…..

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing, that provides some confidence to leap ahead with purchasing a Roco coach online and parts needed for the lighting.

I might be looking at the wrong area but, just wish these manufacturers would make this information a bit more easier to access this information.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2022 07:18:27(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Eddie,

There is a whole I.T. industry dedicated to ensuring that online info is not easily accessible 😂

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 03 October 2022 07:22:28(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Please see attached pictures of a 1:37438E72-93BA-47EB-AE8E-99936BB28831.jpeg5BF51C0F-24CA-41C2-9E9A-FA98582357D8.jpeg90BB4FDB-34FD-49A2-A2E5-24C80AB4541C.jpeg87 silberlinge of relatively moder production

Hopefully you can see the screw, and the other shot of the bogie shoes how they are from the factory. The slider locates on the pins and the screw just has to be started in the plastic. Carefully of course!
Offline revmox  
#6 Posted : 03 October 2022 11:20:33(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi,

Marklin suppliers in Australia aren't that easy to find but in Aug/Sep I was at a resort in Fiji and someone had left a recent copy of Australian Railway Modeler magazine in the room - extremely odd, lucky me, but there you go. I seem to recall one of the adds said a shop in Perth was going to become a Marklin distributor/outlet.

The few outlets I knew of in the Newcastle/Sydney area many years ago have all dropped Marklin and there doesn't seem to be much coordination between the enthusiasts scattered across Australia that I am aware of.

Offline mario54i  
#7 Posted : 03 October 2022 12:01:54(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Do you want to run Roco coaches on Märklin M rails or K or C rails ? This makes a difference.
Most Roco (and nearly all other brands) coaches run on C rails without wheel change.
Offline Eddie7979  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2022 12:18:50(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Please see attached pictures of a 1:37438E72-93BA-47EB-AE8E-99936BB28831.jpeg5BF51C0F-24CA-41C2-9E9A-FA98582357D8.jpeg90BB4FDB-34FD-49A2-A2E5-24C80AB4541C.jpeg87 silberlinge of relatively moder production

Hopefully you can see the screw, and the other shot of the bogie shoes how they are from the factory. The slider locates on the pins and the screw just has to be started in the plastic. Carefully of course!

This is super useful, thank you so much. I can see that it wouldn’t take much to break the thread when fitting the screw!
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2022 12:25:10(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Marklin suppliers in Australia aren't that easy to find but in Aug/Sep I was at a resort in Fiji and someone had left a recent copy of Australian Railway Modeler magazine in the room - extremely odd, lucky me, but there you go. I seem to recall one of the adds said a shop in Perth was going to become a Marklin distributor/outlet.

The few outlets I knew of in the Newcastle/Sydney area many years ago have all dropped Marklin and there doesn't seem to be much coordination between the enthusiasts scattered across Australia that I am aware of.

Hey,
That’s interesting to know, I am aware of someone selling Marklin from their home so you can only buy online. Whenever I put an order in, I usually go to his workplace and ask for him - it’s a bit awkward.

Funnily enough though, the Marklin community is small yet people still tend to know each other. There is a guy in Bowral that does a great job servicing and repairs to anything Marklin and I been buying stuff from a retailer in Brisbane - these 2 know each other well. They also have knowledge of other vendors as well.

Apparently you need to buy about 11,000€ worth of stock per year to maintain a Marklin account so, I guess that could be hard when it’s not a popular brand.

Edited by user 05 October 2022 01:58:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2022 19:30:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Roco Exact Scale Coaches can be used with R2. Some coaches may work with R1, but you have to be careful when it comes to the overhang of coaches over curves and switches, especially with S-curves, as the coach body can interfere with catenary masts, signals and the switch indicator. There are options for lighting. Using one coach for current collection and then using current conducting couplers (2 pole) is probably the best option.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mvd71  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2022 22:29:35(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
On the current conducting coupler note, avoid the Märklin couplers as they can cause issues in the curves because on some models the coupler can hit the buffers. Using Roco or esu will work, and for non conducting the Fleischmann units are good.

In terms of screwing on the pick up shoe, my coaches had no thread formed in the hole that is used, but the plastic is soft enough that the machine screw will go in and cut its own thread. However as you said, you need to be careful and don’t overtighten it.
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 04 October 2022 14:44:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks ok for what I presume is a roco slider. How do you attach something for the return at the other end of the coach.
Thanks for info.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2022 16:37:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Most Roco lighting kits include a metal part which is to be inserted on the bogie underside which provides an axle contact. For DC models, one such part is used for each bogie. On AC models, one bogie is equipped with the slider and the other with the axle contacts. I have seen some AC models with the axle contacts on both bogies, with the slider mounted in a manner that is isolated from the ground contact (plastic part between the two).

http://www.ralf-bueker.de/weisse_LED_4yg_01.jpg
http://www.ralf-bueker.d...isse_LED_Verdrahtung.htm

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline STE-BM  
#14 Posted : 05 October 2022 01:30:00(UTC)
STE-BM

United Kingdom   
And in case you use contact tracks you can convert the DC wheels with some electric conductive paint, bypass the plastic isolating the two wheels.
Last, the DC wheels have a wider flanges distance of about 14.3mm, Marklin’s flanges distance is at 13.8mm.
You can modify them to 13.8mm with a puller and a caliper.

I’ve just converted three Roco TEE coaches wheel sets last weekend and saved buying 24 new AC wheels.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by STE-BM
Offline Eddie7979  
#15 Posted : 05 October 2022 02:15:56(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Thank you so much to everyone contributing information and sharing their experiences, not to mention the photos as well that are extremely helpful.

This has opened up new options for me to consider.

I will be looking at getting my hands on the Roco NMBS / SNCB coach set and the SNCF coaches that will be released soon. I’m on the lookout for buffet car as well, so I might have even check out LS Models.

The plan is to get a Roco set with the lighting kit / slider and ESU current conducting couplers fitted, then include a buffet car that has compatible fittings.

I’ve noted the advice around wheel flanges and R1 curve issues, I’ll be doing some testing in areas. My layout is in its infancy so I can try work around problems through my design.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mvd71  
#16 Posted : 05 October 2022 07:40:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If I get time over the next couple of days I’ll try to get some photos showing the electrical contacts for the wheels. They can be bridged to give earthing on both sides through all eight wheels without spending money.

I have run them on R2 curves with k track with no issues, although they look kinda goofy (No offence Goofy 🤪) I have also run them on 3900 series m track without any trouble, all on the factory wheels.

Cheers….

Mike
Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 06 October 2022 07:18:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you invert one wheelset per bogie while using the standard Roco axle contact, it will yield proper return to each rail.
Once this is done, you will not be able to use the coach on DC tracks without undoing the change.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c