Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sue J  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2021 01:39:17(UTC)
Sue J

United States   
marklin 1a.JPGmarklin 2a.JPGmarklin 3a.JPGmarklin 4a.JPG

Hi everyone or anyone. I collect a wide variety of model trains, particularly pre-war and I am looking for some info on my latest acquisition. From the little I've found it may have been a better deal than I thought. The loco is a T800, marked on the left side above the name Marklin. The right side says 20V above Marklin. On the front on the smoke box also has T800 embossed on it. It is a 3 rail model with a center pick-up and the wheels move freely. It has vey minor wear, the running gear is great, and doesn't appear to have been run much. The reverser is at the rear and there are two screws on the right hand side in the frame area just forward of the cab. Also included in my purchase are two yellow box cars with bare metal roofs, two brownish/orange box cars with brown roofs, one red box car with a white roof, a green cabin car (or what would pass as a caboose in American language) with brown roof, two small gondolas, one large gondola, and one different looking ore ore car. It also had the original transformer, and most the track, just four curved sections missing for a complete set.

So a few of questions. The transformer is a 50 cycle AC 110 volt. Obviously that's a problem in America where we have 60 cycles so I was wondering if I would damage the locomotive by running it with a 110V AC 60 cycle transformer to test it? I know that the transformer needs a new cord, which I have done with some of my old Lionel transformers, but if I do replace the plug and cord will I need some sort of adapter for the change from 50 to 60 cycle? The two yellow cars have steel roofs, is this the way they were made? It almost looks as if they were possibly white at one time since there is some specks of white on one of them. Would this have been a set? It seems very large to have been a single set. And the track has a brown bottom rather than the black I have seen while looking to add the four missing sections, does that date it and will the black bottom track work with the brown? And does anyone know what a set like this might be worth?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Sue J
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2021 09:01:17(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I don’t think it will be a problem.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2021 14:26:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Sue J Go to Quoted Post

So a few of questions. The transformer is a 50 cycle AC 110 volt. Obviously that's a problem in America where we have 60 cycles so I was wondering if I would damage the locomotive by running it with a 110V AC 60 cycle transformer to test it?

No, that is not a problem. Running a 50Hz transformer at 60Hz is fine, but attempting to run a transformer rated at 60Hz on 50hz may cause heating issues.

I would make sure to get the transformer insulation checked as well as getting the cord replaced. Any electrician able to do PAT testing should be able to do an insulation test between primary and secondary windings for you.

Looks like you have a nice set of wagons there. We have a number of members who have an interest in old models who can help you identify the individual wagons.

I'm not sure myself how old the locomotive is, but I suspect some of the wagons are post war.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Sue J  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2021 21:35:44(UTC)
Sue J

United States   
Thanks, that's good to know. Do you know if it would hurt the locomotive to test it with an American 60hz since it was designed to run with 50? I suspect it works because it appears to be in good condition but I would like to find out and it may take a while before I get the transformer rewired and checked. I'm getting ready to clean and lube it before I test it. I saw a similar loco on eBay and it was a 1937, so I am thinking this is probably from the 1930s era. Hard to say how old any of it is because it is all in very good shape, no dents, colors are bright and there are very few, very minor scratches on any of the pieces.

Sue
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sue J
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2021 23:06:09(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Sue,

The loco will be fine on 50Hz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Mman  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2021 23:17:16(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Before 1939 Märklin used a different coupling. As far as I can see yours is a T790 produced 1949/50 and marked T800. The book from which I gleaned this (Greenberg’s Guide) also states that at war’s end a Märklin loco, 8 wagons and a transformer could be bought from American post exchange stores for $9.00.
It should have a front coupling and a lever by the smokestack to reverse the loco. From the photographs I see a suggestion of zinkpest .
Nice find.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline katz1002  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2021 08:35:25(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   
Sue,

This link below will help you with some information re the vintage and track:

https://marklinstop.com/...ack-system-1935-present/

At a guess it looks like one of the old PX sets but I just can't tell from the photos and it appears there are some additional items added later.

There will be no problem running the (transformer) loco on the 60Hz supply but do take care when testing as the engine probably has a lot of gunk inside even if the wheels are turning freely.

Also note that the power slider on the loco is not the modern type of ski slider but is the older tongue style and that needs the solid 3rd rail tracks for proper operation.

It is also a little hard to tell from your photo but I think you have mixed track versions as the sleeper spacing changed after the war and the curves shown appear to have different spacing (photo #4). The above link can assist you in working out what track it is. i've got a large store of the different releases of the solid 3rd rail track and have enjoyed using it over the years but these days it is mostly in storage as I've converted to the latest C-track for better running.

Lastly, I did some checking but can't seem to find the Schottervagen (Ballast wagon) which has the unloading chute in your photo. I believe it is a 315/1 although it appears to be missing some frame on one end but a great wagon.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by katz1002
Offline Sue J  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2021 05:57:34(UTC)
Sue J

United States   
It kind of would make sense that it is the newer PX model because it is in good condition and I can see what is meant by the couplers being newer, but the reverser is on the rear, the pull out or push in type, not a lever near the smokestack. And it has never had a front coupler. Not sure what zincpest is. I'll take better pictures of the ballast wagon. What do you make of that?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sue J
Offline Mman  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2021 10:41:46(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Zinkpest is well documented in this forum and elsewhere and affects Mazak (aka Zamak) zink alloys used in diecasting parts of all sorts of things including model railway items and model cars. Impurities in the alloy cause intercrystaline growth in the metal, this ultimately results in the casting expanding and crumbling to dust. It is accelerated by exposure to light and changing temperatures. It affected prewar and early postwar models particularly but once known about manufacturers took more care in keeping the alloys pure.
It seems to have resurfaced in Märklin H0 in recent years according to posts in these pages - this is puzzling that a usually renowned company should allow this to happen, we’re they outsourcing from dubious companies I wonder.
The photo of your loco shows striations along the tank side which can be indicative of early Zinkpest but let’s hope it isn’t.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2021 11:35:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Sue
I think you made a nice purchase.
No 60 Hz versus 50 Hz is no problem BUT you are using a prewar Märklin transfo and at least the power cord should be replaced (cloth insulation is not good).
As to the roof of your car, here is my poultry car (Kleintierwagen 386) and its original roof
374 Tankw 386 Kleintierw.jpg
Here are supercar (Supermodelwagen)
Super Modellwagen.jpg
And here a wood transport car (Molded Zamak) and 391 (flat car) 362 (Side tipping car), 308/1 (Wine car)
Bois Refrigere.jpg
Your T800 is great
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB